Search This thread
R

ranger61878

Is it really that simple to change what the ROM contains? Just add or remove apks from the system/app folder in the ROM file?? Seems like something is left off the story.

It's that easy. Just make sure you open it without extracting. I customize, edit and tweak all mine preflash. Give it a try. :)

genuser

Jul 8, 2010
Sprint is doing lots of work upgrading their network from 3G to 4G, and signal may be unreliable in the interim. I live 4 blocks from a Sprint tower and typically get excellent signal. My younger son and I both have Heroes, and my wife and my older son both have Samsung Epics 4Gs. Some days lately both Heroes have terrible signal while the Epics are still good, and some days it's the other way around. For the past few days everythings been good for all of our phones, which may be an indication that the 4G upgrade is nearing completion (at least in our area).

I'm thinking what you're observing is just Sprint working on upgrading the system in your area. The performance you're seeing with the stock rom is likely just a coincidence, you would have seen good performance on those days regardless of what rom you had installed.

Give it a week or so, and see if your service stabilizes.

I'll watch it for a bit, but we have 3 other smart phones in the house and I am the only one with the issue and the only one rooted. I was beginning to think it was hardware until I went back to stock and things got better. Still :confused:

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I'll watch it for a bit, but we have 3 other smart phones in the house and I am the only one with the issue and the only one rooted. I was beginning to think it was hardware until I went back to stock and things got better. Still :confused:

Mine was going to 1x recently and it's ALWAYS been on 3g. I live in a big metro, signal is good. I just waited it out, and now all is well. Just know this, signal is signal, and the rom is not reducing it. I know it's not the rom for the same reason you should, it's been fine for month. I have not updated my profile or prl or rom since 3/26 and my signal got bad somewhere in there, and then got better again on it's own.

sent from a series of tubes.

il Duce

Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Lately, my phone has been going into International Data Roaming around my school area. Which it has never done before. Of course, this isn't a ROM issue, but I'm just pointing it out to others.

Waffle, your signature is..... ridiculous. This isn't a charity website, it's a tech website. If someone wants to donate to you for helping them, great. But to make a HUGE PURPLE ANNOUNCEMENT about your life is silly. I think you should put an add in the paper, or start a telethon. If you read the forum rule #8 it says:

8. Donations.

We appreciate all donations to xda-developers.com, it keeps our forum online and well maintained. As a user you're allowed to ask for donations in your signature as a thank you for your hard work. However donations up front are not allowed, this forum is about sharing, not about getting paid to do something, that's what your job is for.

pstevep

Retired Senior Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance
Waffle, your signature is..... ridiculous. This isn't a charity website, it's a tech website. If someone wants to donate to you for helping them, great. But to make a HUGE PURPLE ANNOUNCEMENT about your life is silly. I think you should put an add in the paper, or start a telethon. If you read the forum rule #8 it says:

8. Donations.

We appreciate all donations to xda-developers.com, it keeps our forum online and well maintained. As a user you're allowed to ask for donations in your signature as a thank you for your hard work. However donations up front are not allowed, this forum is about sharing, not about getting paid to do something, that's what your job is for.

lmao... i was waiting to see what you would have to say about it..

kdepro

Oct 5, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
[bug] lockscreen attempt failure

pin lockscreen says 5 failures and locks out for :30 after only one failed attempt. Auto enter feature is enabled.

other than that I really love this rom. its a great improvement over previous versions.. Thanks AOSP.

gigermunit

May 11, 2008
Orlando
abrownkid.tumblr.com
Lately, my phone has been going into International Data Roaming around my school area. Which it has never done before. Of course, this isn't a ROM issue, but I'm just pointing it out to others.

Doing the same for me since last week or so, it's quite odd.

By the way, good luck with the kid, I had a few scares when I was 16 and 17 and even now at 18, no idea how it is to have the kid so good luck.

Osirus71

Aug 6, 2010
Austin, Tx
S-off is a little tricky, but once you have it is way nice when you do something stupid.

What is the best way to do s-off that you would reccommend??? Ive been wanting to do this but have been a bit hesistant due to not wanting to bork anything up. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Word.........:D

Mar 5, 2009
I see red people.
What is the best way to do s-off that you would reccommend??? Ive been wanting to do this but have been a bit hesistant due to not wanting to bork anything up. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Word.........:D

I followed regaw's method here. Pls READ, READ, THEN READ SOME MORE, before doing this. On the Hero, s-off is permanent as of now. There is no reported method to get back to s-on. Being s-off can allow you to flash img's directly to your system. This means you could flash something that messes with your device. Regaw discusses this in his thread. However, as long as you aren't flashing a radio, with s-off you can always get back to a flashed recovery and restore a stable backup. (I'm told flashing a bad or wrong radio may put your phone in a non-recoverable state.) For me, this came in handy the past couple weeks when I had to use s-off to flash the RUU and start from scratch - twice.

il Duce

Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I followed regaw's method here. Pls READ, READ, THEN READ SOME MORE, before doing this. On the Hero, s-off is permanent as of now. There is no reported method to get back to s-on. Being s-off can allow you to flash img's directly to your system. This means you could flash something that messes with your device. Regaw discusses this in his thread. However, as long as you aren't flashing a radio, with s-off you can always get back to a flashed recovery and restore a stable backup. (I'm told flashing a bad or wrong radio may put your phone in a non-recoverable state.) For me, this came in handy the past couple weeks when I had to use s-off to flash the RUU and start from scratch - twice.

Just so you and others know, if you flash darch/toast's eng-spl bootloader, it gives you s-off AND is undone by the RUU, for those concerned about insurance and warranty issues. It achieves the same ability as regaw's (flashing unsigned stuff to individual partitions) only through a different process. Since it is NOT "forever" just remember that if you ever do RUU, you can't go into hboot and quickly regain recovery/ROM/root like you can using regaw's method.

eng-spl thread:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765237
some fastboot commands:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=532719

Last edited:
Reactions: 24601

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    aBGH3.png
    pjJo2.png
    YUdXp.png
    pNATR.png
    oYe53.png
    5Swi6.png
    PQW3e.png
    1W5Bm.png
    9wYtk.png
    nnok0.png
    oIxgu.png
    Fntz4.png

MD5:
    gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip
    MD5: 4cbe712c0bde778fb7f2d32d32b57dd8

MD5:
    [GPL] Kernel Source

HOWTO Logcat
    Code:
    [CENTER][B][U]PC via ADB:[/U][/B]
    adb logcat > /path/logcat.txt
    ctrl+c

[B][U]Phone via Terminal emulator:[/U][/B]
    logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt 
    press the trackball (for ctrl) and c to end the output.[/CENTER]
    ]​
    if your market isn't downloading correctly donate all your money to s0be ;P!

He is the man and fixed it.

Here is the s0be's fix

1. adb shell
    2. su
    3. mkdir /cache/download
    4. chown system:cache /cache/download
    5. chmod ug+rwx /cache/download
    6. chmod a+x /cache/download

Then the market should download.

Added to the WIKI under Gapps Info. :D:D:D
    working on it fellas :D

Re4gk.png
    ladies and gents 3/08 is up let me know if its any quicker if not i have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try dont know why but i just refuse to give up on the heroC :eek:
    links up fellas enjoy ;)