• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

jckeyser

Aug 7, 2010
Dahlonega, Ga.
I couldn't agree more with all the positive sentiments here. I believe Sprint owes these developers a debt of gratitude for keeping the hardware platform they sold up and running better than they could have themselves. Seriously, Sprint should seek these devs out and give them stock options or something.

Actually Sprint probably hates it. The more life the developers give us with our Heros, the less likely we are to spend money and buy a new phone.
I would have bought a new phone long before now if not for aosp's roms.

jckeyser

Aug 7, 2010
Dahlonega, Ga.
This phone is absolutely **** without this rom. I seriously can't run the phone without it.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA App

I wasn't a big Sense hater. Coming from a Blackberry there was a marked improvement over what I'd been using. But aosp feels like the way Android should run. It's not that I couldn't use the phone in its Sense form, its that I couldn't ENJOY it.

ehiggins

Feb 6, 2010
I just bought my wife the Optimus S. Paid $50 at the sprint store. Nice phone, but no support here. The newest update makes rooting a PITA. I have been trying for days to get a good root without screwing something up. So far no luck. Otherwise the phone is a nice average phone. And yes, even though it is a 3g phone, we had to pay the extra $10 a month Premium Data Surcharge.

Looking to mod, don't buy this phone.

I was in the same boat! I used this from the android central forums, starting with part 2
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd.html

It was a giant pain in the a but I eventually got everything squared away and put AOSPs recovery on the phone and use his optimus v rom with the OV to sprint flash and my wifes phone really flies. Her battery life is remarkably better.

Its a lot of time to get through the whole downgrade and root process, but I feel it was worth it in the end.

edit: just make sure your ovtosprint matches the aosp, I think the last one out there is for 4/3 or 4/5 not the newest virgin mms works fix

Last edited:

gpsmoucer

Nov 21, 2009
...I'm on SERO premium for $40 with my Hero. If I jumped to an Evo or any other 4g phone my bill would jump to $50/mo...

I'm in the same boat - holding on to my Hero with Sero Premium. The only thing I will use my upgrade for -in the near future, unless a killer 4g phone comes out- is a larger screened, better spec'd 3g phone. The Optimus keeps tempting me, but as others have said it doesn't have the same amount of development going on (and no bigger screen). But, if Sprint decided to give me an Optimus as a warranty replacement I would definitely be happy.

Here's my suggestion if you decide to get am Optimus: get it from eBay - they're going for $120-130 there. There's no sense in using your upgrade for it, only to lock yourself into a 2 year contract. Save it for a much better featured 3g or 4g phone.

Last edited:
A

AspenTree

Actually Sprint probably hates it. The more life the developers give us with our Heros, the less likely we are to spend money and buy a new phone.
I would have bought a new phone long before now if not for aosp's roms.

Exactly! But if sprint did do that and give us devs a stock base for 2.1 - 2.3.3 os to work with we could probably whip up something seriously awesome -er than what we have now :D

But even though they wont and probably never will we do the best we can to theme, or script, or develope roms, apps, and or kernels, and more :)

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA Premium App

rondietz1

Jan 23, 2008
Big trouble

Now I've really done it! I wanted to start over, totally clean, so I RUU, then ran Regaw's Hero Rooter. I went in and totally cleaned off my sd card, and then copied the latest rom and gapps to it. When I boot into recovery, I get the normal beginning, then when I press home, I get a picture of a phone, with a red triangle with a ! through it. What did I do??

NineInchNails

R.I.P. - We'll see you around, bud...
Jan 22, 2011
Minnesota
Ya now when I think about it when you ruu'd you lost clockwork as the recovery so in turn you need to redownload it after you root and flash that first. That's why your getting the ! When pressing home. You have no recovery and it errors out. Your fine. Just dl clockwork and flash the recovery in it. You'll be good to go.

Last edited:

NineInchNails

R.I.P. - We'll see you around, bud...
Jan 22, 2011
Minnesota
Thanks, will try again later today when I get off the course. Matt, in your sig, what is "Memory Usage Plus"? You playing with something new?

Ya its like auto killer but I can watch my memory usage with the widget and quick kill background apps. Doesn't interfere with the system kills. Its quite nice actually. Paid app but I see its value just like this rom. In my tests its just on par with auto killer but with an interface instead of it just running in the background. Can determine when there might be memory leaks but that's just watching the memory info.

Last edited:
Reactions: rondietz1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    aBGH3.png
    pjJo2.png
    YUdXp.png
    pNATR.png
    oYe53.png
    5Swi6.png
    PQW3e.png
    1W5Bm.png
    9wYtk.png
    nnok0.png
    oIxgu.png
    Fntz4.png

MD5:
    gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip
    MD5: 4cbe712c0bde778fb7f2d32d32b57dd8

MD5:
    [GPL] Kernel Source

HOWTO Logcat
    Code:
    [CENTER][B][U]PC via ADB:[/U][/B]
    adb logcat > /path/logcat.txt
    ctrl+c

[B][U]Phone via Terminal emulator:[/U][/B]
    logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt 
    press the trackball (for ctrl) and c to end the output.[/CENTER]
    ]​
    if your market isn't downloading correctly donate all your money to s0be ;P!

He is the man and fixed it.

Here is the s0be's fix

1. adb shell
    2. su
    3. mkdir /cache/download
    4. chown system:cache /cache/download
    5. chmod ug+rwx /cache/download
    6. chmod a+x /cache/download

Then the market should download.

Added to the WIKI under Gapps Info. :D:D:D
    working on it fellas :D

Re4gk.png
    ladies and gents 3/08 is up let me know if its any quicker if not i have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try dont know why but i just refuse to give up on the heroC :eek:
    links up fellas enjoy ;)