Search This thread

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
that is weird dude.. i tried it out after you said that you were still using .35, and it works fine for me.. the only thing that i am running is obviously this rom, s0be's kernel and darktremor a2sd (still have tried data2ext yet)..:confused::confused:

Yea me to. I've ran out of things to try lol

#Root/Hack_Mod-Always®

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
C00ller, when you were using ADW, did you have "Allow purging of assets" enabled in CM Performance settings? I observed very early that if that setting was enabled, swiping between screens in ADW was abysmally slow. I disabled that setting and I've been completely in love with ADW ever since. In fact, when aosp stopped including ADW in his roms I went and grabbed ADW Standalone from the market just because it runs so sweet on my phone.

Everybody get ready for the longest post ever lol.

Also thread hijack - sorry...

@OJB - I have had allow purge on since it started, and with adw ex it's fast as can be. It may require other tweaking, which I do all the time.

Now, my initial (and likely final) verdict on the launchers: adw ex FTW. I really do like a few things about lpp, and I will keep using it for a while to be fair to it. The things I like about it so far are the scrolling dock, the lpp widgets, and the scrolling PAST your last screen to get the other "side" of the launcher, i.e. from screen 3 to screen 1. Other than that, adw ex has ALL of the same tweaks and options that lpp has, plus about a zillion more. With adw EX you can long press an icon and you get a popup menu: remove,change,uninstall. That may be the biggest thing for me since I use custom icons a lot (which lpp doesn't offer), and uninstall apps a lot. The other big thing about adw ex I like a lot is the "edit" button, where you can shuffle which screen is where in your setup without losing any of the screens, i.e. move screen 2 to screen 3 with one touch. Also this allows you to add a screen anywhere (like put a blank screen inbetween 2 and 3, or put a fifth screen after 4 or before 1) or delete any screen and it's content, while keeping the rest of your setup the same. I also like the swipe up to hide the note bar, and swipe down for the "hidden" dock. EX also allows you to change the size of the dock icons, which I used to make them the same size as app icons - nice. It has better app drawer settings and tweaks by far - you can make different app "catalogs" like games,work,apps, and within the app drawer you have arrows to move between them easily. I like the ability to move the trashcan (bottom or top), and there's a setting where when you are resizing widgets you can allow them to overlap while resizing for easy screen tweakage. It allows you to hide app labels (which lpp also allows) including folder labels (which lpp does not allow). You can have a vertical 2d or 3d app drawer, as well as a page by page horizontal, or super fling horizontal (my fav). You can hide app labels in the app drawer (which lpp doesn't do?). You can change the text color of the app labels in the drawer and the background color and transparency for the drawer. With EX you can two finger pinch the home screen to bring them all up into one screen in thumbs to nav through them (like the evo stock) and I don't think lpp allows that? You can customize the 6 tabs that open when you press the menu from the home screen - that I use and it's sweet. In adw it comes with iphoney icon bg squares (which I don't use) and some pre-loaded docks. Another cool dock feature with adw is you can remove it and gain another row for apps on the screen (can lpp do that? idk). Oh and for the speed testing (no data, just my opinion) I did both with the same screens (5), 2 of which had 4x5 apps, and the same widgets (9), they were both fast. EX was maybe a tiny bit faster, maybe not, lpp may have been a tiny bit smoother, maybe not. EX has all the fun animations, and the speed may be very slightly better with EX (though I haven't made tweaks for lpp). So, adw ex FTW.

Holy **** I am long winded, and I left out some of the tweaks for EX...

I think I just sold adw ex, and I should get a commision (I am a salesman by trade lol).

Last edited:

pstevep

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized The
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance
Everybody get ready for the longest post ever lol.

Also thread hijack - sorry...

@OJB - I have had allow purge on since it started, and with adw ex it's fast as can be. It may require other tweaking, which I do all the time.

Now, my initial (and likely final) verdict on the launchers: adw ex FTW. I really do like a few things about lpp, and I will keep using it for a while to be fair to it. The things I like about it so far are the scrolling dock, the lpp widgets, and the scrolling PAST your last screen to get the other "side" of the launcher, i.e. from screen 3 to screen 1. Other than that, adw ex has ALL of the same tweaks and options that lpp has, plus about a zillion more. With adw EX you can long press an icon and you get a popup menu: remove,change,uninstall. That may be the biggest thing for me since I use custom icons a lot (which lpp doesn't offer), and uninstall apps a lot. The other big thing about adw ex I like a lot is the "edit" button, where you can shuffle which screen is where in your setup without losing any of the screens, i.e. move screen 2 to screen 3 with one touch. Also this allows you to add a screen anywhere (like put a blank screen inbetween 2 and 3, or put a fifth screen after 4 or before 1) or delete any screen and it's content, while keeping the rest of your setup the same. I also like the swipe up to hide the note bar, and swipe down for the "hidden" dock. EX also allows you to change the size of the dock icons, which I used to make them the same size as app icons - nice. It has better app drawer settings and tweaks by far - you can make different app "catalogs" like games,work,apps, and within the app drawer you have arrows to move between them easily. I like the ability to move the trashcan (bottom or top), and there's a setting where when you are resizing widgets you can allow them to overlap while resizing for easy screen tweakage. It allows you to hide app labels (which lpp also allows) including folder labels (which lpp does not allow). You can have a vertical 2d or 3d app drawer, as well as a page by page horizontal, or super fling horizontal (my fav). You can hide app labels in the app drawer (which lpp doesn't do?). You can change the text color of the app labels in the drawer and the background color and transparency for the drawer. With EX you can two finger pinch the home screen to bring them all up into one screen in thumbs to nav through them (like the evo stock) and I don't think lpp allows that? You can customize the 6 tabs that open when you press the menu from the home screen - that I use and it's sweet. In adw it comes with iphoney icon bg squares (which I don't use) and some pre-loaded docks. Another cool dock feature with adw is you can remove it and gain another row for apps on the screen (can lpp do that? idk) EX has all the fun animations, and the speed may be very slightly better with EX (though I haven't made tweaks for lpp). So, adw ex FTW.

Holy **** I am long winded, and I left out some of the tweaks for EX...

I think I just sold adw ex, and I should get a commision (I am a salesman by trade lol).

does that make this the longest quote ever???:D

yes i think those devs need to give you some commision, because i am going to have to try it now.. that was an excellent review and pointed out all of the things that i wish LPP had.. so thanks to you i will be visiting the market soon..

il Duce

Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
does that make this the longest quote ever???:D

yes i think those devs need to give you some commision, because i am going to have to try it now.. that was an excellent review and pointed out all of the things that i wish LPP had.. so thanks to you i will be visiting the market soon..

Yeah if adw EX had it's own widgets, last screen to first screen, and a scroll dock I would bust a nut.

Oh and for the speed testing (no data, just my opinion) I did both with the same screens (5), 2 of which had 4x5 apps, and the same widgets (9), they were both fast. EX was maybe a tiny bit faster, maybe not, lpp may have been a tiny bit smoother, maybe not.

jckeyser

Aug 7, 2010
Dahlonega, Ga.
Launcher lag must vary significantly from phone to phone. I get more speed from ADW ex than LPP, GO, or Sense. The only thing that comes close speed wise on my device is Zeam, but it lacks a few minor things that keep it from being my daily driver.
ADW manages to keep its quickness and customization options top shelf without feeling bloated, which LPP feels like to me.

Brickster

Dec 31, 2010
Byram
Hands down, I hate laggy launchers, and ADW is one of them.

I have tried zeem for a month (total waste of time which i can never get back) been using adw ex for the most and decided to give LPP a try for a few weeks. I have run into laggy issues running ALL of them at some point. I have to agree that adw ex is the best in my personal opinion. If it had the scrolling app drawer, it would be 800% better than all launchers. FWIW Sold on ADW EX,,,hands down!

thoughtlesskyle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
Outside of Philadelphia
I have tried zeem for a month (total waste of time which i can never get back) been using adw ex for the most and decided to give LPP a try for a few weeks. I have run into laggy issues running ALL of them at some point. I have to agree that adw ex is the best in my personal opinion. If it had the scrolling app drawer, it would be 800% better than all launchers. FWIW Sold on ADW EX,,,hands down!

You can turn on the scrolling app drawer you know that right

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

il Duce

Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN

You mean the scrolling dock bar right :confused: ???
For me the widgets on lpp are cool too. And the RTL fling deal.

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the very thorough review, il Duce :)

Now, I am about to give ADW.Launcher a try again (last time I tried it was in CM6.1). First I'll try it with asset purging enabled (it is supposed to be "better," after all) and also without. If it is as fast as LPP, I will buy ADW EX for sure. If it is slow, can I realistically expect ADW EX to be any faster?

stayclean

Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the very thorough review, il Duce :)

Now, I am about to give ADW.Launcher a try again (last time I tried it was in CM6.1). First I'll try it with asset purging enabled (it is supposed to be "better," after all) and also without. If it is as fast as LPP, I will buy ADW EX for sure. If it is slow, can I realistically expect ADW EX to be any faster?

I know the ADW that's included with CM is always laggy at best, never tried standalone ADW, though I've heard it's better (if you tweak various settings, I suppose), but EX is much, much, much smoother.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    aBGH3.png
    pjJo2.png
    YUdXp.png
    pNATR.png
    oYe53.png
    5Swi6.png
    PQW3e.png
    1W5Bm.png
    9wYtk.png
    nnok0.png
    oIxgu.png
    Fntz4.png

MD5:
    gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip
    MD5: 4cbe712c0bde778fb7f2d32d32b57dd8

MD5:
    [GPL] Kernel Source

HOWTO Logcat
    Code:
    [CENTER][B][U]PC via ADB:[/U][/B]
    adb logcat > /path/logcat.txt
    ctrl+c

[B][U]Phone via Terminal emulator:[/U][/B]
    logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt 
    press the trackball (for ctrl) and c to end the output.[/CENTER]
    ]​
    if your market isn't downloading correctly donate all your money to s0be ;P!

He is the man and fixed it.

Here is the s0be's fix

1. adb shell
    2. su
    3. mkdir /cache/download
    4. chown system:cache /cache/download
    5. chmod ug+rwx /cache/download
    6. chmod a+x /cache/download

Then the market should download.

Added to the WIKI under Gapps Info. :D:D:D
    working on it fellas :D

Re4gk.png
    ladies and gents 3/08 is up let me know if its any quicker if not i have a few other tricks up my sleeve to try dont know why but i just refuse to give up on the heroC :eek:
    links up fellas enjoy ;)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone