[ROM] aospMod | AOSP 2.2.1 (Froyo)

Search This thread

caliboy99

Jun 7, 2010
Sunny California
:p I hardly did anything. I just ripped open the Gmail APK and found the offending icon. I'm not even sure why it's there, but I replaced it with its proper icon, and then just de-crapified the GApps package of stuff I didn't really need. If you still want the full GApps and the fixed Gmail APK, just take the GMail apk out of my custom package, and replace the the standard GApps package's GMail.apk with it. :)

I have the same funky looking gmail notification icon as you but i like the functionality of the current gmail app. Is there anyway i can pull the traditional icon out and paste it over the current crappy looking icon i have now??

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
I have the same funky looking gmail notification icon as you but i like the functionality of the current gmail app. Is there anyway i can pull the traditional icon out and paste it over the current crappy looking icon i have now??

Alright, so bear with me here, as I'm not much for making good guides, but I'll try my best. Firstly, you'll need this image here (right click and save it):

stat_notify_email.png

Then, take the Gmail APK out of your system/app folder from your phone. There's many ways to do this, if you're familiar with adb, you can use that, or you can use Android Commander, or Root Explorer. You just need to take the GMail APK out somehow. Make two copies of it somewhere on your desktop, so that you have a backup, and then delete the original apk from system/app. Don't panic, if anything goes wrong, you have your backup (although this is ridiculously simple to do)

Now that the Gmail APK is on your desktop, open it up using 7Zip or WinRAR. Either one will work. You don't need to change the extension, both 7Zip and WinRAR handle apk archives just fine.

Using either of those programs, navigate to "\res\drawable-mdpi-v9\". The file you're looking for is called "stat_notify_email.png". Delete that file, and then drag and drop the above one in there. The image I linked you to in the first part is named properly already.

Put the apk (making sure you never changed the file extension) back into system/app, and then restart your phone. Send yourself a test email to check, and if you did it right, it'll be just fine :). Unfortunately, I don't know why this icon is included (perhaps Gingerbread?) but you'll have to do this with each GMail Update :(.

And yes, in case you're wondering, you've just learned the beginnings of theming your own APKs ;)

Again, this guide might not be as clear as I want it to, and veteran users might even point out that its inefficient and that there's a better way; no matter what, I know that this works :)

Feedback is welcome.

rolltrain

Dec 13, 2009
So when I hit the phone logo and it goes to the dialer pad, when I start hitting numbers to spell the first name of the contact I want to call, it doesn't search my contacts. It is just numbers. ANy ideas?

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
So when I hit the phone logo and it goes to the dialer pad, when I start hitting numbers to spell the first name of the contact I want to call, it doesn't search my contacts. It is just numbers. ANy ideas?

That's a feature that only the Sense dialer has. AOSP-based ROMS do not have smart dialing. If you still want it, there are a few apps in the market that emulate this, such as DIalerOne.

https://market.android.com/details?id=kz.mek.DialerOne

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010

Try putting in the area code of the person you want to call anda scroll menu listing you contact should appear.

#Root/Hack_Mod-Always®

caliboy99

Jun 7, 2010
Sunny California
Alright, so bear with me here, as I'm not much for making good guides, but I'll try my best. Firstly, you'll need this image here (right click and save it):

stat_notify_email.png

Then, take the Gmail APK out of your system/app folder from your phone. There's many ways to do this, if you're familiar with adb, you can use that, or you can use Android Commander, or Root Explorer. You just need to take the GMail APK out somehow. Make two copies of it somewhere on your desktop, so that you have a backup, and then delete the original apk from system/app. Don't panic, if anything goes wrong, you have your backup (although this is ridiculously simple to do)

Now that the Gmail APK is on your desktop, open it up using 7Zip or WinRAR. Either one will work. You don't need to change the extension, both 7Zip and WinRAR handle apk archives just fine.

Using either of those programs, navigate to "\res\drawable-mdpi-v9\". The file you're looking for is called "stat_notify_email.png". Delete that file, and then drag and drop the above one in there. The image I linked you to in the first part is named properly already.

Put the apk (making sure you never changed the file extension) back into system/app, and then restart your phone. Send yourself a test email to check, and if you did it right, it'll be just fine :). Unfortunately, I don't know why this icon is included (perhaps Gingerbread?) but you'll have to do this with each GMail Update :(.

And yes, in case you're wondering, you've just learned the beginnings of theming your own APKs ;)

Again, this guide might not be as clear as I want it to, and veteran users might even point out that its inefficient and that there's a better way; no matter what, I know that this works :)

Feedback is welcome.

Ok so pulled the gmail.apk deleted one on the phone, replaced .png file. When i go to install .apk it says it seems like it does but when i go look for gmail nothing found...
The original gmail apk was in data/app not system/app could this be the problem?

LiquidSolstice

Jan 17, 2008
Ok so pulled the gmail.apk deleted one on the phone, replaced .png file. When i go to install .apk it says it seems like it does but when i go look for gmail nothing found...
The original gmail apk was in data/app not system/app could this be the problem?

Nooo. :p You need to put it back in System/App. It's not an installable apk.

And then restart for good measure.

caliboy99

Jun 7, 2010
Sunny California
I think ive ran through all possible ways i can think of getting this to work with no luck.
Every time i move gmail apk to system/app then reboot it does not even show up.

poashll

Sep 3, 2010
Lincoln, NE
I think ive ran through all possible ways i can think of getting this to work with no luck.
Every time i move gmail apk to system/app then reboot it does not even show up.

You need to set the permissions. If you have root explorer, navigate to the /system/app folder. Set the permissions to rw-r--r--.

Alternatively you can do it using terminal emulator.

Code:
su
chmod 644 /system/app/GMail.apk

Remember the name is case sensitive.

caliboy99

Jun 7, 2010
Sunny California
You need to set the permissions. If you have root explorer, navigate to the /system/app folder. Set the permissions to rw-r--r--.

Alternatively you can do it using terminal emulator.

Code:
su
chmod 644 /system/app/GMail.apk

Remember the name is case sensitive.
Thanks but i just switched to the newest build for AOSP's GB and i did add my gmail to his apps zip so i just flashed that and now i have the good'ol gmail icon back. If i flash back to Froyo ill just flash my gmail from the git go. Thanks again for the help

waffle_

Mar 7, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Disabled Home Button / No Lockscreen

I'm having an annoying issue, actually:

Every time I fresh install this rom, the Home button becomes disabled and there is no lock screen... anyone know why?

Bierce22

Nov 10, 2010
canton ga
no this was built for mdpi dvices but im sure theres a stock none cm6 froyo rom floating around in the desire forums

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Z8BRx.png
    FGF8d.png
    2NrZT.png
    cuFR1.png
    lgKBL.png
    gBqUw.png
    yowNS.png
    4wLPT.png
    QpEx1.png
    dRgPu.png
    [
    ufwfO.png
    ifG8U.png
    MOG0C.png
    6KIf7.png
    E4LGE.png

aospMod-v0.9.9.2-signed.zip
    MD5: 9a8251f37c6c66dd76b20fb93caed23d
    gapps-mdpi-20101213-signed.zip
    MD5: 7ac6f9482ac69211dcb46434e49f6877
    PassionQuickOffice.apk
    [GPL] Kernel Source

HOWTO Logcat
    Code:
    [CENTER][B][U]PC via ADB:[/U][/B]
    adb logcat > /path/logcat.txt
    ctrl+c

[B][U]Phone via Terminal emulator:[/U][/B]
    logcat > /sdcard/logcat.txt 
    press the trackball (for ctrl) and c to end the output.[/CENTER]
    thanks for replies, going to nandroid, wipe davlik, and let it whirl. noticed new gapps mini. anything changed?

GD I love the speed of AOSP's ROM. Makes the Hero far faster than anything that preceded it. I wonder if there is any significant jump in speed in terms of pure browsing now versus the Evo.

Indicdentally, anyone know of any good themes that somewhat resemble the NFX-Hero 2.2.1.update1 ODEX? Really all I want is a black status bar. White/Grey kinda gives that windows 2000 vibe.

updated market all other updated gapps you can get from the market;)
    What's differant in 9.9.2?

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

i removed debugging and development related apps, files etc to once again try to make aospMod more leaner and meaner for you guys code is updated with latest android source and a few more things enjoy ;)
    No problem, feel free to use the new thanks button as opposed to posts ;) :D

are we running a popularity contest now:p
    Circle Battery Mod for V0.9.9.2

I redid the battery mod for AospMod V0.9.9.2 but I think the last one from V0.9.8 will work also as the framework didn't change.

7NtZ4.png