• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][BETA] LineageOS 18.1 for the Xperia Z5 Premium

Search This thread

@nyapa

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
Hi Joel16

Thank you for supporting Z5 premium.
I'm using it on the global model E6853 LineageOS is easy to use.

By the way, will LineageOS be able to be used with
the customized model SO-03H for Japan (NTT docomo)?

Bootloader unlocked using qunlock tool.
TWRP3.5 (satsuki-twrp-3.5.0 [20210101] .img) can also be installed.

By repeating LineageOS boot animation logo
Seems to be hung up

Last edited:

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Hi Joel16

Thank you for supporting Z5 premium.
I'm using it on the global model E6853 LineageOS is easy to use.

By the way, will LineageOS be able to be used with
the customized model SO-03H for Japan (NTT docomo)?

Bootloader unlocked using qunlock tool.
TWRP3.5 (satsuki-twrp-3.5.0 [20210101] .img) can also be installed.

By repeating LineageOS boot animation logo
Seems to be hung up
Does this happen with 15.x (before major kernel changes)? I'm not too sure about that device.

@nyapa

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
Does this happen with 15.x (before major kernel changes)? I'm not too sure about that device.
Yes,I tested old version (5 pattern)

*lineage-14.1-20200507-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-15.1-20210423-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-17.1-20210316-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-17.1-20210421-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip

However, repeating LineageOS boot animation logo loop

Search to google, SO-03H (NTT Docomo Version Xperia Z5P) is
seems to be a different signature (fingerprint?)

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Yes,I tested old version (5 pattern)

*lineage-14.1-20200507-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-15.1-20210423-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-17.1-20210316-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip
*lineage-17.1-20210421-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip

However, repeating LineageOS boot animation logo loop

Search to google, SO-03H (NTT Docomo Version Xperia Z5P) is
seems to be a different signature (fingerprint?)
I don't think its fingerprint, but I'm not sure what the problem is sorry.

Vetkor

First thank you so much for this great work.
By doing this, a phone from Android 7.1.1 jumps to 11 !
I have the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium Dual E6833.
I've installed this version of Lineage OS 18.1 (20200421)

And found some bugs :
> On the Camera :
- Recording video is not working from back cam
- Super laggy on front camera
- QRCode readers are also laggy on front camera (inbuilt camera app and nextcloud)

This version is not usable as daily driver yet because of the camera issues.

For E6833 users:
For some reason, after restoring my android stock backup, after reboot through the given TWRP the phone gets stuck on SONY white splashscreen. I have to flash via fastboot the original stock system.img + boot.img to make it work again. And that also helps to restore the devide code name from e6883 to e6833. And then can flash with flashtool like old times.

I wish there are much more AOSP builders. And i would like to contribute, but learning from a lot texts is quite hard even if i have the habbit with docs.

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
New Release 20210614

Change-log:

- Upstream lineage 18.1 sources.
- May security patches.
- LiveDisplay is now fixed.
- FM Radio is back.

Download | 10ab5b44292755808990869e2b251e93

Reactions: Daniel_GB

Vetkor

Well i just tested it on E6833 , unfortunately the camera app is not launching. (toast message: camera unavailable)
So the app is being closed as soon as clicked/expanded on fullscreen.

Also, i can still take a picture using the message app while sending a picture as message :
> Back camera works, but front camera still laggy and unusuable.

Using probably another app than the main could be a workaround, but still, the front cam is super laggy.

The camera is biggest issue i have currently with Lineage OS. In the previous release of 20210416 the camera app was working, but was just laggy on front cam and back cam was just not working while recording a video.

I'm not a pro yet on android builds, but i feel it is a driver issue than an app misbehaving ?

@nyapa

Jun 1, 2021
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium
I don't think its fingerprint, but I'm not sure what the problem is sorry.

OK,Thanks!
I give up using SO-03H(NTT Docomo Version Xperia Z5P)

By the way, I tried New Release 20210614Rom
1)Live Display works good
2)Camera app is does not work in video mode
(picture mode is ok)
I installed and tested the "OpenCamera" app, but it hangs in video mode. I think there is something wrong with the OS side

I don't call and message on my smartphone,
so I don't know how that part works

The app I use is working perfectly!
Thank you for your great work!!

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Well i just tested it on E6833 , unfortunately the camera app is not launching. (toast message: camera unavailable)
So the app is being closed as soon as clicked/expanded on fullscreen.

Also, i can still take a picture using the message app while sending a picture as message :
> Back camera works, but front camera still laggy and unusuable.

Using probably another app than the main could be a workaround, but still, the front cam is super laggy.

The camera is biggest issue i have currently with Lineage OS. In the previous release of 20210416 the camera app was working, but was just laggy on front cam and back cam was just not working while recording a video.

I'm not a pro yet on android builds, but i feel it is a driver issue than an app misbehaving ?
Problem is these camera blobs are quite old (Nougat old). I may not have the best or most accurate answer here but what we had to was write our very own camera wrapper around our old camera blobs (libraries) to translate the new camera API to work with the old ones. (open, preview, etc) along with some shims. Basically what I'm saying is, this is a big hack. We obviously cannot do much without the source code and since that is proprietary stuff, we probably will never match camera to stock. The most we can do is get the basic functionality working.

arpias

Nov 7, 2017
Problem is these camera blobs are quite old (Nougat old). I may not have the best or most accurate answer here but what we had to was write our very own camera wrapper around our old camera blobs (libraries) to translate the new camera API to work with the old ones. (open, preview, etc) along with some shims. Basically what I'm saying is, this is a big hack. We obviously cannot do much without the source code and since that is proprietary stuff, we probably will never match camera to stock. The most we can do is get the basic functionality working.
Hi Joel! For me this rom works good, hope you support for long time, adding more features!

Daniel_GB

Jul 30, 2010
Noshahr,IR
Hello and thank you for your great work.

I just want to warn users to be careful regarding how hot the phone gets even with some light usage (e.g., texting on Whatsapp on Mobile data) when using this ROMs. In my case and after using the 17.1 version for about 2 months, the phone screen came off from the top right corner (probably the glue behind LCD panel dried out due to the excessive heat production) causing the proximity sensor to malfunction during calls and hearing voice messages.

I'm now on stock firmware and the phone never heats up like LineageOS ROMs and it also remains pretty cool on light usage, however I need to disassemble the phone to renew the adhesives.

Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Sep 3, 2013
Hello and thank you for your great work.

I just want to warn users to be careful regarding how hot the phone gets even with some light usage (e.g., texting on Whatsapp on Mobile data) when using this ROMs. In my case and after using the 17.1 version for about 2 months, the phone screen came off from the top right corner (probably the glue behind LCD panel dried out due to the excessive heat production) causing the proximity sensor to malfunction during calls and hearing voice messages.

I'm now on stock firmware and the phone never heats up like LineageOS ROMs and it also remains pretty cool on light usage, however I need to disassemble the phone to renew the adhesives.
That's unfortunate. I'll see if we can tune down the kernel's clocks when I get a chance. The thing is I'm pretty sure its still using the same or similar power profile to stock.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

There will be an update but might take a while. I'm busy with work and other things at the moment.
    WEEK 2

So here is my second feedback. Hope this is helpfull.
    All major issues in my previous post are still there.

Brightness:
    I have only experienced brightness to 50% minor issue. Which is fixed by rebooting. I feel it is probably because of the sensor trying to adapt the screen light and then something happens wrong and no way to make it as bright like 100%.

SD card:
    When you have android 7.1.2 stock and then install this rom LOS 18.1. You may get "SD card corrupt", you just need to format (make sure you have a backup of your SD card before). Then it works great.
    By the way, you can go back to TWRP to check if it is really corrupt or not.

MHL:
    I discovered one thing. The MHL feature doesn't work. When you plug your MHL adapter the phone freezes and screen doesn't turn off. When you plug in and plug out the power supply, the phone detects that it is charging...
    The only way to recover the phone is to force shut down (POWER + VOLUME UP) and start it back.

Video unstabilities:
    You may experience sometimes, the videos readen on Twitter and other apps can sometimes be freezing. I believe it is because of HEAT or/and Wifi receiver is receiving very low even on a fast internet connection.

NFC:
    It seems not working. I tried to read my Credit bank cards. It should of say "couldn't read". But says nothing. I think it doesn't work.

Hotspot WIFI:
    I just checked and it turns off right after turning ON (so it doesn't work).
    And it shows "Error" as mentioned by @OskarPLyt under "Hotspot WIFI".
    It still turn off WIFI when enabling WIFI tethering (normal behavior).
    But internet tethering works over USB and bluetooth.

TWRP ?
    Another minor issue (probably not because of LOS 18.1): The screen light is sometimes having troubles. Like the screen flashes really quick during some seconds after having opened the screen (by booting or unlocking). Also it happens even with stock OS + TWRP. I believe it is the TWRP faults. Because i never experience it when i have recovery partition empty (when you flash your device back to stock OS via flashtool) and havent installed TWRP via fastboot. Sometimes it happens on SONY boot splashscreen.

Little recap:​

Major issues:
    > Front cam: video recording is super laggy
    > Back cam: zoom makes the live view of camera lagging a lot (for picture or video)
    > Heat: I dont know if it is because of the current hot summer season that the phone heats easier.
    By the way, you will feel more oftenly that the phone is hot in your hands and in your pocket, but compared to stock you can still use all features on the phone without a message "the phone is hot, you cannot use this app".
    --> Hotspot WIFI
    --> NFC doesn't work

Minor issues:
    > battery drain: I feel like the device lose battery quite faster than before (with a new battery) while using it.
    But when you dont use it, you experience the opposite, very less battery draining when not used.
    > Little unstabilities when device is hot (notification bar scrolling is sometimes laggy)
    > Sometimes i experience that the screen brightness goes down to 50% (so the screen look darker from 100%) but the settings shows that you are at 100% and you cannot play with it to refresh.This setting works only under 50%, higher it becomes useless. To fix it, you need to reboot.
    > Sometimes you can experience the audio recorder not to work. To fix it, you need to reboot.
    > Sometimes you can see a toast message "Error I/O.....". To fix it, you need to reboot.
    --> MHL doesn't work (not comonly used feature so it is minor)

Will i continue using this rom even with these issues ?​

Yes, since i've found all alternatives of each daily apps. Issues aren't stopping me from anything. We should all learn to live without phones by the way... Get de-intoxicated of bling bling apps. Your life will get better. Most issues are on extra features for my use cases.
    Hi Joel! I should to know if there will be an update in August or in future!
    There will be an update but might take a while. I'm busy with work and other things at the moment.
    LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for various devices, based on the Android mobile platform.

Disclaimer:
    It is your decision to install this software on your device. Neither LineageOS developers nor I take any responsibility for any damage that may occur from installing this software on your device.

GScx1xm.png

Notes:
    This rom does not come pre-rooted or bundled with any modifications or apps. The device tree is heavily based off of sumire's lineage 18.1 device tree with only the device specific modifications required for Satsuki (Z5 Premium).

Download:
    Android File Host: ROM | 10ab5b44292755808990869e2b251e93

Prerequisites:
    - Make sure you're coming from firmware 32.4.A.1.54 before flashing this rom.
    - Bootloader needs to be unlocked.
    - Ensure that you have TWRP recovery from here.

Install:
    1) Reboot into TWRP Recovery.
    2) Select Wipe -> Swipe to factory reset -> Advanced Wipe -> Dalvik /ART Cache, System, Cache and Data -> Swipe to Wipe.
    3) Go back to TWRP's main menu -> Select Install -> Locate and choose lineage-18.1-202XXXXX-UNOFFICIAL-satsuki.zip file -> Swipe to confirm flash.

Bugs/Not Working:
    - A few camera related issues (laggy front cam recording and qr code)

If you encounter any other bug that are not mentioned in this list please provide a logcat and the steps necessary to reproduce the bug in detail (if necessary).

Sources:

Kernel
    Device Tree (Satsuki | kitakami-common)

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 18.1, ROM for the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium

Contributors

Joel16, tarkzim
    ROM OS Version: Android 11
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
    Beta
    Current Beta Version: 20210614
    Beta Release Date: 2020-12-27

Created 2020-12-13
    Last Updated 2021-06-14
    Change-logs:

20210614:

- May security patches.
    - LiveDisplay is now fixed.
    - FM Radio is back.

20210414:
    - April security patches.
    - WiFi mac address and tethering fixes.
    - Switch to AOSP finger print HAL 2.1
    - Fixes "failed to find /misc partition" when trying to reboot to recovery.

- Initial Release

- Updated to lineage 18.1 sources.
    WEEK 1:

All right, now i used this LOS 18.1 as a dayly driver.
    Of course there are issues to fix BUT we are close to stable.

The biggest priority is probably to fix the camera problem. Cause you cant use the original app. You must install another camera app. I used the app "open camera" on play store.

Major issues:
    > Front cam: video recording is super laggy
    > Back cam: zoom makes the live view of camera lagging a lot (for picture or video)
    > Heat: I dont know if it is because of the current hot summer season that the phone heats easier.
    By the way, you will feel more oftenly that the phone is hot in your hands and in your pocket, but compared to stock you can still use all features on the phone without a message "the phone is hot, you cannot use this app".

Minor issues:
    > battery drain: I feel like the device lose battery quite faster than before (with a new battery) while using it.
    But when you dont use it, you experience the opposite, very less battery draining when not used.
    > Little unstabilities when device is hot (notification bar scrolling is sometimes laggy)
    > Sometimes i experience (twice today) that the screen brightness goes down to 50% (so the screen look darker from 100%) but the settings shows that you are at 100% and you cannot play with it to refresh.This setting works only under 50%, higher it becomes useless. To fix it, you need to reboot.
    > Sometimes you can experience the audio recorder not to work. To fix it, you need to reboot.
    > Sometimes you can a toast message "Error I/O.....". To fix it, you need to reboot.

Works well:
    Wifi, 4G, Bluetooth, audio jack, SMS, MMS, GPS, fingerprint sensor, proximity sensor.
    I havent tested all sensors but i believe they work.

With that build:
    For now you should take videos and pictures without zooming with back cam (or it would be laggy)
    By the way Zoom featur is like cropping the big picture since it is not a physical lens zoom.
    IT DOES everything you need in your day so enjoy and dont be scared to install this rom.

My recommandation:
    On front camera: You should stick with only selfies. (video recording is laggy).
    On back cam: Never zoom

Globally i'm happy from this build, i feel the purpose of Lineage OS (Privacy) on my 5 yo device !
    With the latest Version of android (design, live display and dark mode) benefits.

NO GAPPS AND NO ROOT. Just Lineage OS 18.1

I'm happy that we can live without google nowadays !
    New Release 20201227

Change-log:

- Updated to lineage 18.1 sources.

Another thing I noticed is that the snap camera isn't as bugged as it was in the previous 18.0 release. This release seems more towards the "stable" side of things for me although I didn't extensively test it (do let me know if you come across any issues). I'll wait for reports of any other issues before marking it as stable. Lineage also hasn't started rolling any official builds for 18.X either, so I would like to wait on that as well.

Download:
    Stuck on Booting, infinite Booting on E6883
    Just to be sure this is a bootloop? The phone isn't stuck on the white Sony splash screen? Can anyone else with an E6883 device confirm that if this is happening? I only own the E6853 variant.

Also @HouseOfBricks I will look into getting TWRP updated at some point. Also I believe in the setup it asks if you wish to use lineage's recovery or not.