• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][BETA] Omnirom for Sailfish 8.0

Search This thread

hardslog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2009
omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

What is OmniROM?

OmniROM Gerrit Review

OmniROM JIRA Bug Tracker

Disclaimer
Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
 */

ROM DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS: Use whatever you would like :) [/SIZE]

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Best off to be on an Android 8.0 rom, whether another rom or stock
  • Do a full wipe in TWRP
  • Install Rom
  • Flash newest TWRP again (failure to do so will result in losing TWRP)
  • Reboot recovery
  • Flash GAPPS

For now you don't need to install the vendor.img as its built into the rom, this will change though
build in vendor.img is found here https://github.com/Hardslog/proprietary_vendor_google_devices

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

PLEASE SUBMIT BUG REPORTS AND FEATURE REQUESTS TO JIRA

Sources:
Device: http://github.com/Hardslog/android_device_gogle_marlin
Kernel: http://github.com/Hardslog/android_kernel_google_marlin

XDA:DevDB Information
Omnirom for Google Pixel Sailfish, ROM for the Google Pixel

Contributors
hardslog
Source Code: http://github.com/omnirom

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 11-20-2017
Beta Release Date: 2017-11-20

Created 2017-11-30
Last Updated 2017-11-29

Last edited:

hardslog

Nov 17, 2009
Btw I don't root or install custom kernels so I have no idea if they work or not. My gut feeling is no but have no time to test these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: devilsadidas
G

GuestK00254

installing now!

edit: succesfully installed and is working well.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0037

Nice to see someone making an 8.0 rom available...

btw, AFAICT - you seem to be missing the Nov Updates for your kernel.

You also might consider adding LTS. just a thought.

hardslog

Nov 17, 2009
Nice to see someone making an 8.0 rom available...

btw, AFAICT - you seem to be missing the Nov Updates for your kernel.

You also might consider adding LTS. just a thought.

Feel free to add a pull request for November Kernel changes. Not so much my focus right now but will get to it.

Also what is LTS?

G

GuestK0037

Feel free to add a pull request for November Kernel changes. Not so much my focus right now but will get to it.

Also what is LTS?

No man, Im just pointing it out ~ I develop my own kernel for Marlin, so unlikely that I'm not going to be cloning yours to do that bit of work for you, I have enough on my plate -> It's your responsibility as someone who is providing a Rom and kernel to other users....

You should make staying up-to-date with Security patches / kernel patches every month a priority. there are bug fixes and security fixes for things like CVEs ~ not keeping up-to-date can put users at risk....

LTS = Long Term Stable Release - upstream linux updates to your kernel. this also serves the same purpose, as above (google has been slack on this, but that's changing). Some info on how to set yourself up for LTS; https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...rence-how-to-upstream-android-kernel-t3626913

Also, another important note / advice on providing ROMs to people. Please make sure that you are properly signing your builds (signature signing). ref: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/sign_builds .... I'm not sure how OmniRom does things; if they have their own keys that you can use, but if you are using testkeys from the SDK - that's a bad idea. ~ as your system/platform apps would be signed with publicly known/available keys. That breaks an important layer of Android's security model.

Nick80835

Jun 11, 2015
Google Pixel 4a
No man, Im just pointing it out ~ I develop my own kernel for Marlin, so unlikely that I'm not going to be cloning yours to do that bit of work for you, I have enough on my plate -> It's your responsibility as someone who is providing a Rom and kernel to other users....

You should make staying up-to-date with Security patches / kernel patches every month a priority. there are bug fixes and security fixes for things like CVEs ~ not keeping up-to-date can put users at risk....

LTS = Long Term Stable Release - upstream linux updates to your kernel. this also serves the same purpose, as above (google has been slack on this, but that's changing). Some info on how to set yourself up for LTS; https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...rence-how-to-upstream-android-kernel-t3626913

Also, another important note / advice on providing ROMs to people. Please make sure that you are properly signing your builds (signature signing). ref: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/ota/sign_builds .... I'm not sure how OmniRom does things; if they have their own keys that you can use, but if you are using testkeys from the SDK - that's a bad idea. ~ as your system/platform apps would be signed with publicly known/available keys. That breaks an important layer of Android's security model.
Long Term Support

Reactions: jorgen2009

hardslog

Nov 17, 2009
I figured you were referring to long term support but never heard that terms of android kernels before.

Anyway the homebuilds are likely signed using test keys. When omni has the Jenkins server up and running it has its own keys.

Also I'd like to respectfully disagree with your statement on making sure I keep up to date and that's it's all things I MUST do.
Firstly this is a beta. When we get the weeklies rolling I'll keep on top of CVEs etc.
Secondly if people don't like the security of this ROM I don't really care. I'm not forcing anyone to flash it. This is an open source project for anyone to contribute. It is not my job to be trying to make sure I develop things and merge patches the minute they become available. In fact none of this is my job.

I'll merge security patches when I have time. And if someone wants to add PRs to get them in quicker they are welcome to do so. But if someone has the means to help out but only wants to criticize then please take discussions elsewhere. Not saying this to anyone in particular, but as a generality, as nine you are making valid statemtents.

Last edited:
G

GuestK0037

I figured you were referring to long term support but never heard that terms of android kernels before.

All android kernels are (supposed to be) based on LTS. Vendors just don't end up patching them fast, if at all. not a good thing.

Also I'd like to respectfully disagree with your statement on making sure I keep up to date and that's it's all things I MUST do.
Firstly this is a beta. When we get the weeklies rolling I'll keep on top of CVEs etc.
Secondly if people don't like the security of this ROM I don't really care. I'm not forcing anyone to flash it. This is an open source project for anyone to contribute. It is not my job to be trying to make sure I develop things and merge patches the minute they become available. In fact none of this is my job.

I'll merge security patches when I have time. And if someone wants to add PRs to get them in quicker they are welcome to do so. But if someone has the means to help out but only wants to criticize then please take discussions elsewhere.

#1 - I wasn't criticizing, in fact; I said it was great to see some Oreo rom development Happening... What I did was; pointed out that your kernel isn't up to date (by a month, not a minute) * That's not a criticism, it's just a fact.... && I made some suggestions on how to rectify that and provided you with some additional potentially useful information on LTS ~ thinking it may be helpful to you...

I also mentioned the signature signing because in the past I've seen ROMs on XDA haven't been signed properly - because the people who built them skipped that important step or didn't know any better. (not implying you, but; you would know 100% -> one requires generating your own private keys, one doesn't).

#2 - I never said you "MUST" do anything. Please go back and re-read what I actually wrote... I suggested that you probably *should* merge the monthly patches from Google and suggested possibly making use of LTS, As something that *should* be a priority (not *must* be). Monthly patches and LTS exist for a reason.... But yes; At the end of the day, your right ~ It's entirely your choice..... It's also one of the reasons, why I tend to avoid flashing custom roms -> you have zero idea whether the people cooking them up have actually done things properly (again, not talking about you, just a general statement).

#3 - I gave you a valid reason why I wouldn't be doing a pull request; I'm working on my own kernel, I'm busy && It's not my responsibility. What IS my responsibility to make sure that any kernel that I release IS patched and up-to-date. *It doesn't matter that it's not my job; I'm putting it out there for other people to use on their device; which typically contain loads of personal info, mobile banking, accounts, contacts, etc... So even with a disclaimer added; I still put in the extra effort. Because it's important.

Regardless, the whole thing of getting up-to-date and even merging LTS (if you chose to do so) takes maybe 10min. ~ not exactly something that you need me or anyone else to do for you or a pull request for. ~ It would take me longer to fork/grab your sources, pull in all of the commits and do a pull request... See why I'm not doing it now? Anyway, good luck with your ROM.

Last edited:

hardslog

Nov 17, 2009
All android kernels are (supposed to be) based on LTS. Vendors just don't end up patching them fast, if at all. not a good thing.

Regardless, the whole thing of getting up-to-date and even merging LTS (if you chose to do so) takes maybe 10min. ~ not exactly something that you need me or anyone else to do for you or a pull request for. ~ It would take me longer to fork/grab your sources, pull in all of the commits and do a pull request... See why I'm not doing it now? Anyway, good luck with your ROM.

You aren't telling me anything that I don't already know :) but thanks for the input anyway as it is good topic for discussion.

You'd think that with this being a google device on AOSP that developing for it would be easy, which certainly isn't the case. There was a lot of bull%##! going on with this device which has caused people to have difficulty getting anything going for it.

Just for info though when the weeklies come out for Omni they are very quick to patch security flaws. The next question though is to see if we can get opendelta working on this device with its weirdo A/B partition scheme :eek:

G

GuestK0037

You'd think that with this being a google device on AOSP that developing for it would be easy, which certainly isn't the case. There was a lot of bull%##! going on with this device which has caused people to have difficulty getting anything going for it.

Just for info though when the weeklies come out for Omni they are very quick to patch security flaws. The next question though is to see if we can get opendelta working on this device with its weirdo A/B partition scheme :eek:

one would hope that it would be easy to develop for due to aosp support, but yeah. the concensus seems to be that is not the case...mol.... however, if u look at Copperheados; that's one main developer; he's had their OS working nicely and that's also with a locked bootloader and system updates coming from their servers, etc...

It's a given that strncat (cos Dev) is a smart dude.... but yeah; it demonstrates that it's very doable... if one core Dev can pull it off, a community of devs on xyz ROM should be able to, as well....

BTW, I'm curious, is odexing working on your ROM?

bladels

Jul 16, 2012
I tried this rom with Magisk and custom kernel ( separately and together ) and I got bootloop. It's a shame cuz I really like this rom added features. I'm back on stock 8.0.0 now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    omnirom_logo-big_layout_transparent-250px-150x150.png

What is OmniROM?

OmniROM Gerrit Review

OmniROM JIRA Bug Tracker

Disclaimer
    Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. Hard. A lot.
     */

ROM DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS: Use whatever you would like :) [/SIZE]

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Best off to be on an Android 8.0 rom, whether another rom or stock
    • Do a full wipe in TWRP
    • Install Rom
    • Flash newest TWRP again (failure to do so will result in losing TWRP)
    • Reboot recovery
    • Flash GAPPS

For now you don't need to install the vendor.img as its built into the rom, this will change though
    build in vendor.img is found here https://github.com/Hardslog/proprietary_vendor_google_devices

Omni only supports TWRP recovery, use any alternate recovery at your own risk.

PLEASE SUBMIT BUG REPORTS AND FEATURE REQUESTS TO JIRA

Sources:
    Device: http://github.com/Hardslog/android_device_gogle_marlin
    Kernel: http://github.com/Hardslog/android_kernel_google_marlin

XDA:DevDB Information
    Omnirom for Google Pixel Sailfish, ROM for the Google Pixel

Contributors
    hardslog
    Source Code: http://github.com/omnirom

ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 11-20-2017
    Beta Release Date: 2017-11-20

Created 2017-11-30
    Last Updated 2017-11-29

Anyway the homebuilds are likely signed using test keys. When omni has the Jenkins server up and running it has its own keys.

I'll merge security patches when I have time. And if someone wants to add PRs to get them in quicker they are welcome to do so. But if someone has the means to help out but only wants to criticize then please take discussions elsewhere. Not saying this to anyone in particular, but as a generality, as nine you are making valid statemtents.
    Btw I don't root or install custom kernels so I have no idea if they work or not. My gut feeling is no but have no time to test these things.
    good to see the development is still going on!

Long Term Support