• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][BL1.1][BL1.2] GTabCombOver 3.4.2

Search This thread

gtabcombover

Dec 6, 2011
Please post issues in the GTabCombOver Q&A Thread.

GTabCombOver is an improved version of GTabComb, a Honeycomb 3.0.1 ROM by zyhong. It is a G Tablet ROM, but people have reported that it works with the Hannspad and the ZPad T2 as well. Here are zyhong's original instructions:

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, XDA nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running this mod.

This is a port of AdamComb with pershoot kernel and some tweak for performance and usability. Thanks all the greatest Adam, Vegan, Gtab devs that make this rom possible.

Install instruction:
1. Make sure the version of your bootloader and download the corresponding rom
2. I guess most of you should already be in CWM, but if you are not. update the recovery to CWM first. Stock recovery might work but you need to do some work and CWM is much better anyway.
3. Wipe data / Factory reset. It might work well, but you will most likely have problems without doing this.
4. Using the "install from sdcard" to install and enjoy.

Change Log:
3.4.2:
  • rajeevvp's memory tweak.
  • Flashback 8.1's fix for external sd cards and usb disks.
  • 1.1:
    • Fix for wifi not loading on bootloader 1.1.

3.4.1:
  • Updated to latest version of Maps application.
  • 1.2:
    • Resolution fixed (only the 1.2 edition went out with the wrong resolution set)
    • CPU frequency restored correctly after sleep

3.4:
  • Fixes from AdamComb 0.3:
    • Improves bluetooth
    • Improves gps
  • Updated the Market (fixes download issues)
  • Updated all the other apps that have newer versions
  • 1.2:
    • Clemsyn's honeycombtrial5 kernel, which greatly reduces the Sleep of Death problem

Links:

Last edited:

ketjr81

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle
thanks, i tried gtabcombs and flashback before but they would get sluggish on me until i needed to reboot. so far everything is fine for me on this rom. i did lower the dalvic vm heapsize though.

dagwud

Oct 20, 2009
I'd been using Bottle of Smoke and then Flashback for a while. But Flashback kept crashing on me (shutting down randomly).

So far, this is running smoothly. But, then, I've only had it on the device for about 14 hours. Looking forward to seeing how stable it stays.

(I just wish there was a way to get the camera working on Honeycomb ROMs.)

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
thanks, i tried gtabcombs and flashback before but they would get sluggish on me until i needed to reboot. so far everything is fine for me on this rom. i did lower the dalvic vm heapsize though.
Flashback crashes on me whenever it tries to access location services (Maps, etc.).

EDIT: As a matter of fact, so does GTabCombOver. I just installed it and it crashes as soon as Google Maps tries to acquire my location.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtabcombover

thangcuoi

Jul 31, 2010
facebook.com
Samsung Galaxy S10
I've been waiting for someone to continue work on GTabComb. So thank you for your effort.

Here are my experience with GTabCombover 3.4.2 [BL 1.2]. Let me know what I can do to help make it better.

1. Wiped Data/Cache/Dalvik cache then install and reboot.
2. Login and setup. It auto restore app previously installed on the account.
3. All the apps ran fine. Random freeze and lag.
4. Tried it with and without ADW Launcher EX. Still lag randomly, even while configuring the launcher.
5. gTablet has a 1GB ext3 partition created with the help of CWM (or NVFlash, can't remember).
6. Gallery works. Camera does not.

Has this rom been overclocked as it was done by default on GTabComb?

gtabcombover

Dec 6, 2011
Maps crashing

Flashback crashes on me whenever it tries to access location services (Maps, etc.).

EDIT: As a matter of fact, so does GTabCombOver. I just installed it and it crashes as soon as Google Maps tries to acquire my location.

I had that happen to me once, but a power off and on fixed it. Could you try that and see if it works for you? If not, could you run GetLogs right after the crash to see if that can provide me with any useful information?

Reactions: TheProfiteer

Puhn

Jun 2, 2011
Illinois
I've been using gtabcombover for about a week and it has been pretty solid. However, it does seem to use quite a bit of memory. Last night it got *very* slow. I started Memory Booster just to see what the memory situation was and it reported that I only had 2% left (98% used). I killed all tasks and got it down to about 88% used which made it responsive again. But, it shouldn't be using that much memory, should it? After a fresh boot it shows 55% used. Again, is that normal for all ROMs? I never had Memory Booster installed before so I have no idea what I had on my previous TnT 4.40 ROM but I never had the slow down that I had last night either.

Razor1973

Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I had that happen to me once, but a power off and on fixed it. Could you try that and see if it works for you? If not, could you run GetLogs right after the crash to see if that can provide me with any useful information?
After my first reboot, Maps found my location right away, but crashed again after 3 seconds. I rebooted 3 times after that, all with the same exact result. As requested, here's my log. Thank you very much for looking into this.

http://pastebin.com/jydNN7kz

Reactions: gtabcombover

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please post issues in the GTabCombOver Q&A Thread.

GTabCombOver is an improved version of GTabComb, a Honeycomb 3.0.1 ROM by zyhong. It is a G Tablet ROM, but people have reported that it works with the Hannspad and the ZPad T2 as well. Here are zyhong's original instructions:

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. By running this firmware mod, you agree that there is the possibility that you may brick your device and neither myself, XDA nor Viewsonic are responsible for supporting you if that occurs. In this case, it is required that you learn and setup nvflash prior to running this mod.

This is a port of AdamComb with pershoot kernel and some tweak for performance and usability. Thanks all the greatest Adam, Vegan, Gtab devs that make this rom possible.

Install instruction:
    1. Make sure the version of your bootloader and download the corresponding rom
    2. I guess most of you should already be in CWM, but if you are not. update the recovery to CWM first. Stock recovery might work but you need to do some work and CWM is much better anyway.
    3. Wipe data / Factory reset. It might work well, but you will most likely have problems without doing this.
    4. Using the "install from sdcard" to install and enjoy.

Change Log:
    3.4.2:
    • rajeevvp's memory tweak.
    • Flashback 8.1's fix for external sd cards and usb disks.
    • 1.1:
      • Fix for wifi not loading on bootloader 1.1.

3.4.1:
    • Updated to latest version of Maps application.
    • 1.2:
      • Resolution fixed (only the 1.2 edition went out with the wrong resolution set)
      • CPU frequency restored correctly after sleep

3.4:
    • Fixes from AdamComb 0.3:
      • Improves bluetooth
      • Improves gps
    • Updated the Market (fixes download issues)
    • Updated all the other apps that have newer versions
    • 1.2:
      • Clemsyn's honeycombtrial5 kernel, which greatly reduces the Sleep of Death problem

Links:
    Is there any plans to bring 3.1 to the gtablet.. or is there some kind of driver issue... because no one as done it.
    I've toyed a bit with 3.2, but so far all I've managed is painful soft-bricks. To my knowlege, there aren't any driver reasons why it can't be done, though.
    USB working is easy. There is a mistake in vold.fstab. Line:

dev_mount usbdisk1 /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

must be:
    dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

reboot after changing the line and USB key works great.

USB working is easy. There is a mistake in vold.fstab. Line:

dev_mount usbdisk1 /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

must be:
    dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci

reboot after changing the line and USB key works great.

Actually, its "dev_mount usbdisk1 /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/tegra=ehci"

The later poster is correct, you should not change the label, just the mount point to match what the init.rc calls for.

Works great now. For those needing help use root explorer with the text editor to make your changes, make sure you mount system as RW first or it won't save your changes.