[ROM] CarbonROM Linaro GCC 4.7/-O3 JB 4.2.2 Unofficial 8.03.13

Search This thread

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
If this is for the 4.2 is there a 4.3 version of carbon? Also, in those screen shots (I feel dumb for asking this but it shows in the messaging screen, a picture of that contact. I checked messaging settings but could not find how to enable this.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk now Free

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
If this is for the 4.2 is there a 4.3 version of carbon? Also, in those screen shots (I feel dumb for asking this but it shows in the messaging screen, a picture of that contact. I checked messaging settings but could not find how to enable this.

There is currently no 4.3 carbon, there is jellytime which is on 4.3 if you need to have the latest android version, its also available here in the development forums.

That's the Hangouts app, and it happens by itself by default, so you're not missing a setting or anything like that. The messaging app itself is for SMS/MMS and so doesn't function on the A100, that I'm aware of, as its meant for phones. If you're still on Google talk, update it to Hangouts to be up to date on its features.

Side note, the messaging app does it also, on my DNA, also by default with no settings needed to add it. If you get one side with a pic but yours doesn't show one, you'll need to set one manually, or sign into Google+, that's how mine shows up. You may also want to make a contact for yourself and set a profile pic there.

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Okay I tried this but keep making the "duck" face, is this an error with your rom? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

No, I stuck that there on purpose :p

Given it a reboot yet?

I have a contact named "me" and another named my name, that one is the one that shows up in hangouts and quick toggles user, etc.

onuris

Mar 10, 2009
Well I mean a death kind of life changing, thousands of dollars of debt due to no life insurance and leftover debt and bills, just a really bad time right now. Time wise, I appreciate the offer, but really its time to even think about android let alone develop and build.

Not glad to hear that. Glad u still alive tough :D
Hope everythig solves out then and thanks anyway for the time and effort I've seen you're a dedicate and kind person (for all your replys) so you deserve to have a good life and be able to get rid of trouble.

Good luck with all that

I'll give a try to that Jellytime ROM :D

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
Hello, I am on my acer Iconia a100 and I am having another issue with the carbon rom. Every time the tablet goes to sleep, and then I wake it up, I can't get wifi to come back on. I've tried manually turning it off and back on again, scanning for the network , nothing works. The only thing that works is rebooting then it comes back up. When I wake it up and go into wifi settings, it says my network is out of range yet when I reboot it connects, please help.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Hello, I am on my acer Iconia a100 and I am having another issue with the carbon rom. Every time the tablet goes to sleep, and then I wake it up, I can't get wifi to come back on. I've tried manually turning it off and back on again, scanning for the network , nothing works. The only thing that works is rebooting then it comes back up. When I wake it up and go into wifi settings, it says my network is out of range yet when I reboot it connects, please help.

May want to keep WiFi awake then, its a glitch with supplicant that I never tracked down. On 4.3 the always scanning option caused it, but I don't think carbon had it in 4.2.

Tapatalked from my HTC DNA - Akakaze

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
May want to keep WiFi awake then, its a glitch with supplicant that I never tracked down. On 4.3 the always scanning option caused it, but I don't think carbon had it in 4.2.

Thanks for the response. I have been turning wifi off when I go to bed becasue according to betterbatterystats, wlanlock is having severe wakelocks and keeping the tablets awake. I'm thinking that it has to do with the wifi being on all the time. I don't mind it on throughout the day but at night, I want it to sleep. What I have been doing is manually turning it off (Via toggles) and then when I get up, turning it back on but it turns on but does not find wifi. In wifi settings, it says out of range, have to reboot, then it connects. Is there any way to fix this?

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Thanks for the response. I have been turning wifi off when I go to bed becasue according to betterbatterystats, wlanlock is having severe wakelocks and keeping the tablets awake. I'm thinking that it has to do with the wifi being on all the time. I don't mind it on throughout the day but at night, I want it to sleep. What I have been doing is manually turning it off (Via toggles) and then when I get up, turning it back on but it turns on but does not find wifi. In wifi settings, it says out of range, have to reboot, then it connects. Is there any way to fix this?

Nope, like I said its a glitch in supplicant that I never found, since I can't build 4.2 carbon anymore it's not really something that can be fixed anymore. Maybe a different supplicant will work better, maybe not, hard to say really.

jreink01

Jun 27, 2012
Saginaw
Nope, like I said its a glitch in supplicant that I never found, since I can't build 4.2 carbon anymore it's not really something that can be fixed anymore. Maybe a different supplicant will work better, maybe not, hard to say really.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Are there any 4.2. roms that you know of that have mostly everything working, including wifi that I could use as a daily rom. I was thinking about selling my tablet but if I can find a good working rom then I may just keep it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe 4.1 roms but when I was on stock, I think it was 4.0, gps had a logging issue where it would write txt files that would take up all the memory so I want to stay away from that version. Thanks again.

I googled a100 roms but didn't come up with much. Also, switching between different android versions, roms, all I need to do is do a complete wipe, clear caches, then install then, right?? Nothing extra? Just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. I know I will have to flash gapps seperatly and thats usually in the rom thread.

Last edited:

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Are there any 4.2. roms that you know of that have mostly everything working, including wifi that I could use as a daily rom. I was thinking about selling my tablet but if I can find a good working rom then I may just keep it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe 4.1 roms but when I was on stock, I think it was 4.0, gps had a logging issue where it would write txt files that would take up all the memory so I want to stay away from that version. Thanks again.

I googled a100 roms but didn't come up with much. Also, switching between different android versions, roms, all I need to do is do a complete wipe, clear caches, then install then, right?? Nothing extra? Just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything. I know I will have to flash gapps seperatly and thats usually in the rom thread.

Wipe system, data, dalvik and cache, newer twrp its advanced wipe, regular wipe doesn't do system, but some ROMs wipe that itself, at least mine usually do.

4.1 is probably your best bet, they've always ran great performance wise, its just finding a build that does well for your uses. As for ROMs, if they aren't here they probably don't exist lol

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
well, I might be ignored or flamed for asking this but I can't help myself:
what does "MIC doesn't work" mean ?
if it is straight as I understand, how does one live with a device lacking MIC ? (none of the IM apps will work...)

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
well, I might be ignored or flamed for asking this but I can't help myself:
what does "MIC doesn't work" mean ?
if it is straight as I understand, how does one live with a device lacking MIC ? (none of the IM apps will work...)

MIC doesn't work means mic is inactive, just like it sounds lol.

You're making some pretty wide sweeping assumptions though, both in how users choose to use their device and in the scope of Instant Messaging apps and how users choose to use the apps they like.

Instant messaging is text based, mic isn't required to type unless you choose to use the mic for text. Doesn't make all IM apps broken. Or even a lot of them. Maybe not even any.

Also, not all users use their tablets for messaging, maybe they have better suited devices or just dislike the a100s screen for typing.

For video or voice calling yes this would prohibit that, but that's not IMing people, that's calling people.

I personally have never used the mic on the a100 outside of testing if it works. I also don't message on it, and I don't type on it when possible, I have much better devices for that, as do a lot of users at this point.

As always I'll suggest you decide if this ROM is a fit for your personal requirements, if not there are other ROMs that may fit you better, every user can choose their ROM based on their needs.

I hope you don't take this as flaming, its not intended that way, but assuming the device becomes useless for everyone because the MIC isn't working made me feel maybe explaining not everyone is you with your requirements for a usable device would be a good idea. Or not. Depends how you take it I guess.

mrmrmrmr

Jan 14, 2007
thank you. that was a long and clear explanation.
As English is not my mother language, I might have used the word IM wrongly.
Of course, I meant video or audio calling. Because most of the IM softwareI use (Skype, Gtalk, MSN...) have calling function and I prefer to use it specially for video calling.

On the other hand, I am not saying "without MIC, the device is useless" , of course everyone has his/her own usage for the device but nowadays IM software with calling feature are fashionable and mobile Android devices are used for that reason among other usage.

For my own use, I really need the MIC. I have several other android devices and A100 is not my own device. It belongs to my wife, and we mostly use it for video calling when we are away.

You said that there are other ROMs that I can choose from. However, all ROMs above Android 4.1 lack the MIC function. Sadly...

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
thank you. that was a long and clear explanation.
As English is not my mother language, I might have used the word IM wrongly.
Of course, I meant video or audio calling. Because most of the IM softwareI use (Skype, Gtalk, MSN...) have calling function and I prefer to use it specially for video calling.

On the other hand, I am not saying "without MIC, the device is useless" , of course everyone has his/her own usage for the device but nowadays IM software with calling feature are fashionable and mobile Android devices are used for that reason among other usage.

For my own use, I really need the MIC. I have several other android devices and A100 is not my own device. It belongs to my wife, and we mostly use it for video calling when we are away.

You said that there are other ROMs that I can choose from. However, all ROMs above Android 4.1 lack the MIC function. Sadly...

Yes any rom past 4.1 lacks the MIC on all tablets of this generation, I'm not sure why, but I know of a few right now on 4.3 and still no working mic since 4.2, they all share the same hardware codec, this may be why. I work with 2 tegra2 based tablets and neither has a working MIC at this point, both share the WM8903 or whatever codec also.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As good a place as any to post this.

Pio-masaki.com is being shut down due to a Cease and Desist order sent against the host by Google and homeland security. I have no idea why, however until this is sorted out, and to avoid any possible or further legal issues, the site is down for a period of time that can be a day or forever. This includes any and all ROMs, kernels, gapps packages, for any and all devices, that were hosted on pio-masaki.com.

I apologize in advance for this as I know some ROMs are only available at pio-masaki.com, but it is out of my hands, the host has to consider their own safety, and has my 100% agreement and backing in taking down the site until the matter is resolved.

As this is a very large matter, and one that has us incredibly scared, I'm retreating from android for the time being, until I know what it was that I did that was illegal, and may return once this is cleared up and blows over.

After this is cleared up the hosting for pio-masaki.com may still remain offline as the hoster has some personal issues with me at this point and may or may not continue to host for me, should we resolve our differences it may return.

If by some chance Google or whoever sent the C&D notices this, I urge you to contact me as I was responsible for what was hosted, and would genuinely like to know what the issues are so we can get them resolved immediately.

I will be making similar postings or editings to any other ROM threads that link to pio-masaki.com.

What is CarbonROM?

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

1.6 is a pretty big update for us! Check out the changelog on our goo.im page for more, but here are the highlights:

-PIE
    -HALO
    -Floating Application windows (long press app in recent apps list)
    -Lock screen rotation is back
    -Dark Carbon! Huge props to Slim Roms for coming up with this unique and awesome feature.
    -Lockscreen theming
    -CM skinny battery is back!
    -Volume key lock on silent mode option
    -Backup tool - if you're flashing a new version of Carbon and already have the required version of gapps installed, it will be backed up and restored during install. This applies to system apps and custom host files as well. Please note that you should only dirty flash from Carbon to Carbon. It's ok if it's another version or a nightly - just not over other roms. Super handy for you crack flashers. Make sure you've got the most recent Gapps though, and if you're flashing from a factory reset, you'll still need to install it after install of course.
    -Long pressing the "clear recents" button clears the cache
    -AOKP's awesome new navbar settings
    -NFC polling mode for when you want to keep your screen off and scan tags
    -MMS and call "breathe" feature. Makes the notification icon fade in and out.
    -Mute dings when changing volume
    -Disable/enable CRT effect on screen on/off.
    -3rd party keyboard bug fixed
    -deodexed again
    -stability and speed enhancements
    -a million other little things as well - we basically don't even sleep anymore.
    *not all features are available on the A100 tablet.

Screenshots
    screen1s.jpg
    screen2s.jpg
    screen3s.jpg

screen4s.jpg
    screen5s.jpg
    screen6s.jpg

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users!

Who is Team Carbon?

andros11
    BigShotRob
    dg4prez
    Kejar31
    mattmanwrx
    morfic
    nocoast
    pixeldotz
    slick_rick
    winner00
    Instructions:

Please clean flash this, there's so many extra settings that dirty flashing will likely cause problems. If you dirty flash, please don't report any issues until you flash clean and the issue occurs again!

Please use a proper 4.2.2 Gapps package, using inversed or any modded versions can and likely will cause issues, please use the current 4.2.2 from goo.im, if you use inverted or modded Gapps, please don't report issues until you clean flash with a proper package from goo.im!

Download the ROM
    Download the current 4.2.2 Gapps from goo.im or pio-masaki.com
    Place files someplace useful
    Boot into recovery
    This part assumes you know how to operate your installed recovery
    Wipe system
    Factory reset
    Wipe dalvik
    Flash CarbonROM
    Flash Gapps
    Reboot
    Let settle for a few minutes after booting
    Setup device as usual

If you have issues on first boot, flash the ROM only, then after it boots, reboot and flash Gapps then manually setup your device in settings.

Change Log

8.01.13-B1:
    initial build for experimenting, didn't boot.

8.01.13-B2:
    Next try, boots, SystemUI crash makes it unusable, no nav/status bars

8.02.13:
    WiFi works, SystemUI persistent crashing still makes device unsable.

8.02.13-B2:
    BT, WiFi, sound all work, persistent SystemUI crashes still occuring.

8.03.13:
    All works, SystemUI crash fixed, PIE crashing, battery mods missing, Torch doesn't work.

8.03.13-B2:
    All works, Torch works

8.03.13-B3:
    Fixed PIE crashing, fixed missing battery mods. Rom is now fully operational.
    FAQS
    If you didn't read the bugs list below, go down and read that now, asking the same questions over and over is a trademark of xda and I hate it, please read the change log and bug list before posting questions or reporting issues.

Q. I want to use this build(s) as a base for my ROM, or I want to host/re release it in another country/forum, can I?

A. You may, but only if you send me a PM about it first. I've had a bit of trouble with people taking credit for my work, and I'm getting sick of it. I don't mind sharing and whatnot, but taking my build, adding a build.prop tweak and releasing it on another forum with no mention of my name is not acceptable. As for re releasing on another forum, you may if you just shoot me a link to the post about it, I would rather you link directly to this thread if possible. For those posting in forums of other languages (I know some users might in Russia, for example, use my ROMs) feel free to post for your native languages, and please include a link here also.

Q. I want to report an issue, can I just post it in your thread without reading or doing any basic troubleshooting, googling, reading or wiping?
    A. Well you CAN, you may be ignored or flamed for it. Please read above, and please read the Bugs and Change Log lists before reporting anything. Please flash a clean download, flash a clean wipe, and don't restore stuff from TiBu, thats basic troubleshooting, check if the issue persists, if it does, then feel free to post about it.

Q. Is this daily driver ready?
    A. Can't answer that, what a person needs from their phone varies from person to person, what I may consider fine for my use may be 500 kinds of broken for another user. Example, I don't use my camera often, maybe once a month, and my BT has never been turned on for the last 5 devices, for me broken BT audio and camera doesn't make it a non daily driver ROM. Please read and decide for yourself if features included outweigh the broken, or if broken things are required for your comfortable use of your device.

Q. How can I build my own versions?
    A. I'm not going to write a guide, I did write one for CM9 which is 99.99% still a working guide aside from source urls for updated jellybean. Otherwise there are plenty of very well written guides on how to build ROMs, individual questions about build it can be asked here if you wish as this is a development thread.

Q. Can I use -insert kernel name here-?
    A. You can probably use any kernel you want, but WiFi and such won't work. If you don't mind no WiFi feel free to use any kernel that will boot.

Q. Your files all download as index.php!
    A. This happens on certain browsers, namely the stock browser and Chrome. You can either use another browser (naked and dolphin don't do this) or simply rename the file to something useful, like "piostotallyepicawesomesaucedrizzledromthatrocksyo urass.zip"

Bugs:
    MIC doesn't work
    Camera crashes when you change resolutions
    WiFi may not connect after being turned off, needing a reboot to come back up
    Google Search doesn't work (no MIC)
    Headset MIC also doesn't work
    ROM may get stuck booting, powering off and on will have it boot again, not sure where this is coming from.

More, I'm sure.

Downloads:

Please visit http://pio-masaki.com for all my ROM builds

CARBON-JB-UNOFFICIAL-20130803-2330-a100.zip
    Ok 4.3 boots, its pretty unusable as the SystemUI is constantly crashing. So far, what I can see is:

Sound appears busted, no screen taps are heard
    WiFi does work, at least it turns on and shows APs
    HW Acceleration is in full effect, much smoother then 4.2 ever was
    Storage is all messed up, not sure whats working or not there yet

That's all I've had time to play with.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone