• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][CFW][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] /e/ OS [begonia/begoniain]

Search This thread

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
/e/ OS

/e/ is a “deGoogled” version of Android OS, actually a fork of LineageOS. It has an open-source Android OS core, with no Google apps or Google services accessing your personal data.

Your data is YOUR data!

Learn more

Download
Github Releases

Flash and update instructions

If you are coming from MIUI.

- Unlock the bootloader and install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
- Disable AVB by flashing stock vbmeta.img with the following command: "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img".
- Find a decent working TWRP, flash, and boot it using the manual key combo (e.g. official non-CFW TWRP or LR.TWRP for A9 if you are on MIUI A9, LR.TWRP for A10 if you are on MIUI A10).
- If you have begoniain, run this command "adb shell resetprop ro.product.device begoniain".
- Format data.
- Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is included in the rom zip).
- Flash a CFW compatible recovery (like CFW TWRP) either from within the recovery you already have booted or by rebooting to fastboot.
- Reboot into System.

If you are coming from a non-CFW custom rom.
- Reboot to fastboot and Install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
- Boot into custom non-CFW recovery.
- Format data.
- Flash a CFW compatible recovery (like CFW TWRP) either from within the recovery you already have booted or by rebooting to fastboot.
- Reboot into System.

If you already are on a CFW custom rom with CFW custom recovery installed.
- Boot into custom CFW recovery.
- Format data if you're clean flashing. Skip this step if you are just updating /e/ os.
- Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is being reflashed together with the rom zip).
- Reboot into System.

About the builds
- Remember that the builds tagged with "testing" have a little higher chance to include unresolved issues.
- There is no OTA-update support, at least at the moment.
- CFW is included in the rom zips. There is no need for flashing any extra CFW zip.
- I have no plans of trying to make this rom official (lack of time for propper maintainance). The basic thing that needs to be fixed right now is SELinux and this is probably not going to happen any time soon. If you are a developer that wishes to take over this project and make it official or maybe just fix SELinux, please, go ahead and do it!

Issues
- The camera doesn't have full resolution support.
- SELinux is Permissive.
- You tell me!

Repositories used in building this rom
android_device_xiaomi_begonia: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begonia
android_device_xiaomi_begoniain: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begoniain
android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785
android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common
android_hardware_mediatek: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_mediatek
android_device_mediatek_sepolicy: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_mediatek_sepolicy
proprietary_vendor_firmware: https://github.com/HyperTeam/proprietary_vendor_firmware
proprietary_vendor_xiaomi: https://gitlab.com/the-muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi/-/tree/lineage-17.1
android_vendor_e: https://gitlab.e.foundation/steadfasterX/android_vendor_e/

Special thanks
* @theimpulson , @Sahil_Sonar , @Agent_fabulous and rest of developers and testers that gave life to the development of Redmi Note 8 pro.
* @steadfasterX who patiently guided me in the process of building an android rom for the first time.
* Have I forgotten someone? Please poke me with the name!

Contribute
Feel like contributing/donating? Please contact the above aforementioned people or look for a "donate" link in their posts/threads. You could also consider contributing to the /e/ foundation.

Support links
/e/ community forum: https://community.e.foundation/
/e/ announcements (Telegram group): https://t.me/mydataismydata
/e/ community support (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/C49jqEUbP-CNUGjzu-dTEA
/e/ public (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/GNc9FVNKxz5OGPo3mFql5g
Begonia Support | Custom ROMs (Telegram group): https://t.me/dreamsupportbegonia

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-03_11-07-38.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-38.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,174
  • photo_2021-01-03_11-07-23.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-23.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,162
  • photo_2021-01-03_11-07-32.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-32.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,138
  • photo_2021-01-03_11-07-30.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-30.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,084
  • photo_2021-01-03_11-07-27.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-27.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,043
  • photo_2021-01-03_11-07-41.jpg
    photo_2021-01-03_11-07-41.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,068
Last edited:

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Useful information about /e/

* What’s in /e/?

The /e/ ROM is a fork of LineageOS that is strongly ungoogled. It consists of:
  • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
  • various online services such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.
It is not mandatory to use the /e/ services though. If you want to enjoy this degoogled rom and at the same time not use the /e/ services, the /e/ apps can easily be disabled. This way, one can set up a private server for contacts/calendar/files sync (eg. with Nextcloud) and use this instead.

* DeGoogling / UnGoogling

The goal of “unGoogling” is to remove or disable any little or big feature that is sending any data to Google servers, and to offer non-Google default online services, including for search.
  • Google default search engine is removed everywhere and replaced by other services.
  • Google Services are replaced by microG and alternative services.
  • all Google apps are removed and replaced by good alternative applications
  • Google servers are not used anymore to check connectivity
  • NTP servers are not Google NTP servers anymore
  • DNS default servers are not Google anymore, and their settings can be enforced by the user to a specific server
  • Geolocation is using Mozilla Location Services in addition to GPS
  • CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization application (DAVDroid) is fully integrated with the user account and calendar/contact application

* Description of /e/ default applications

All pre-installed applications are open source applications but the Maps app.
  • Web-browser: an ungoogled fork of Chromium, built from Bromite patch-sets, with specific /e/ settings
  • Mail: a fork of K9-mail for better user experience, some bugfixes and support for oauth, with OpenKeyChain for PGP encryption support
  • SMS: a fork of QKSMS
  • Camera: a fork of OpenCamera
  • Dialer: default Android dialer application
  • Calendar: a fork of Etar calendar, that fixes crashes with calendar invitations
  • Clock: a fork of Android deskclock application
  • Gallery: default Android gallery3d application
  • Filemanager: Android documentsui application
  • Sound recorder: default LineageOS sound recorder
  • Calculator: default Android calculator2 application
  • Keyboard: default Android keyboard
  • Android application installer is /e/ application installer, that supports more than 60,000 applications.
  • Maps: MagicEarth
  • Weather: a fork of GoodWeather for a modified user interface, using data fetched from Open Weather Map
  • PDF reader: PdfViewer Plus
  • Notes: a fork of NextCloud Notes to support /e/ online accounts
  • Tasks: OpenTasks

* Description of /e/ online services at ecloud.global

• /e/ “spot” at https://spot.ecloud.global search engine is a fork of SearX meta-search engine, with major look&feel improvements and peformance improvements
  • /e/ cloud (ecloud.global) includes drive, mail, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks and office. It’s built upon NextCloud, Postfix, Dovecot and OnlyOffice. It’s been integrated to offer a single login identity in /e/OS as well as online, where users can retrieve their data at https://ecloud.global services, or self-hosted on their own server

Last edited:

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Changelog

2021-04-19
* New builds for begonia/begoniain (v0.16)
- Q security patches for April 2021
- See this list of issues being resolved on v0.16

2021-04-03
* New builds for begonia/begoniain (v0.16 testing)
- Q security patches for March 2021
- See this list of issues being resolved on v0.16

2021-03-16
* New builds for begonia/begoniain (v0.15)
- One can now see the actual /e/ os version being reflected in Settings > About phone (instead of v1 that was being displayed before)
- Detailed changelog on the /e/ os v0.15 release here

2021-02-28
* New builds for begonia/begoniain (v0.15 testing)
- MicroG version updated to 0.2.17.204714
- Q security patches for February 2021
- See this list of issues being resolved on v0.15

2021-01-19
* New builds for begonia/begoniain (v0.14)
- All builds are now signed with private keys
- UI changes across default applications
- MicroG version updated to v0.2.16.204713
- Maps updated to v7.1.21.1.3613AA78.047032E6
- OpenKeyChain updated to v5.5
- Q security patches for January 2021
- Misc LOS code updates

2021-01-03
* Initial release for begoniain (v0.13)
- Signed with private keys

2020-12-30
* Initial release for begonia (v0.13)
- Signed with public android test keys

Last edited:
Reactions: Meraj018

sliveness

Jan 16, 2015
As you know very well, the vast majority of currently installed custom roms for the N8pro is based on CFW. So: What should those guys do who have installed a custom rom (for me Bliss A10 with CFW2.1) and want to check out /e/? Getting back to MIUI A9 first?

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
As you know very well, the vast majority of currently installed custom roms for the N8pro is based on CFW. So: What should those guys do who have installed a custom rom (for me Bliss A10 with CFW2.1) and want to check out /e/? Getting back to MIUI A9 first?

Okay, I 'll try to get into a little more detail. The newer builds of LineageOS (and thus of /e/ also) include a series of proprietary images included into the zip. They include also the images that are included in CFW. So, yes, they kind of are considered as CFW builds but one does not need to flash any CFW zip, as the CFW images are being flashed with every rom flash now.

It may feel pointless to include those images in every rom update as they just make the size of the zips higher. They do not really need to be flashed every time a rom update comes out, as they are unchanged. But I think this method is preferred right now because @theimpulson is aiming for LOS 17.1 to get official and it's important from this aspect. Of course, I could adjust the builds to not include the cfw images and go the other way, but I chose to stick to the LOS way for now.

So, to sum it up: No need for flashing CFW (as it already is included in the rom zip). Just follow the instructions on post #1!

Last edited:
Reactions: FivEawE
Build Guide
Here is an /e/ build guide. I don't know if all my practices are optimal but I would gladly receive any feedback on how to make it better.
Hi @polfrank
I have been making /e/ ROMs, mostly for Sony devices and, like you I needed to reference a repo outside of github in a manifest . The repo is in a gitlab instance hosted at git.coop. I did it with the following code in my manifest
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <!-- git.coop remote -->
    <remote  name="gitcoop"
       fetch="https://git.coop/"
       revision="main" />

<!-- Proprietary blobs for z3c -->
    <project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_z3c" path="vendor/sony/z3c" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

<project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_shinano-common" path="vendor/sony/shinano-common" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

<!-- Proprietary blobs for lilac -->
    <project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_lilac" path="vendor/sony/lilac" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

</manifest>

I don't think you will need to go that far as I believe a `gitlab` repo name is already defined, so you should just be able to change the line in your manifest to something like
Code:
<project name="the-muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi" path="vendor/xiaomi" remote="gitlab" />
I hope that helps. You can check out the manifests I use in my git.coop 'manifests' repo

Reactions: polfrank

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Hi @polfrank
I have been making /e/ ROMs, mostly for Sony devices and, like you I needed to reference a repo outside of github in a manifest . The repo is in a gitlab instance hosted at git.coop. I did it with the following code in my manifest
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
    <!-- git.coop remote -->
    <remote  name="gitcoop"
       fetch="https://git.coop/"
       revision="main" />

<!-- Proprietary blobs for z3c -->
    <project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_z3c" path="vendor/sony/z3c" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

<project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_shinano-common" path="vendor/sony/shinano-common" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

<!-- Proprietary blobs for lilac -->
    <project name="phone-custom-roms/vendor_sony_lilac" path="vendor/sony/lilac" remote="gitcoop" revision="main" />

</manifest>

I don't think you will need to go that far as I believe a `gitlab` repo name is already defined, so you should just be able to change the line in your manifest to something like
Code:
<project name="the-muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi" path="vendor/xiaomi" remote="gitlab" />
I hope that helps. You can check out the manifests I use in my git.coop 'manifests' repo

Thanks for your insight! If I remember correctly, I had tried to reference the gitlab remote on .repo/manifests.xml but when doing repo sync it would say that it could not find the repository. I am going to give it a new try considering your tips when the next build comes! (y)

xobust

Aug 4, 2010
Cannot flash from Pixel Experience (with CFW 3.2).
Formated Data and flashed, but the phone restarts twice and boots into TWRP.
Any Idea? I'm using TWRP 3.4.0-3 and have the EU version of begonia.

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Cannot flash from Pixel Experience (with CFW 3.2).
Formated Data and flashed, but the phone restarts twice and boots into TWRP.
Any Idea? I'm using TWRP 3.4.0-3 and have the EU version of begonia.

Did you really format the data (the process that you have to type "yes" in order for it to be done) or just wipe data?

xobust

Aug 4, 2010
Did you really format the data (the process that you have to type "yes" in order for it to be done) or just wipe data?

Yes I did, forgot to copy my backups to the computer too 😥.
I had this problem before though, I could not flash any Android 10 ROMs after flashing Pixel Experience.
Did anyone successfully revert to Android 10 and CFW 2.1?
I tried to repair the fs of the data partition too.

FivEawE

Oct 3, 2015
Yes I did, forgot to copy my backups to the computer too 😥.
I had this problem before though, I could not flash any Android 10 ROMs after flashing Pixel Experience.
Did anyone successfully revert to Android 10 and CFW 2.1?
I tried to repair the fs of the data partition too.
I'd probably suggest to just flash the stock ROM and start from scratch.

Reactions: xobust

FivEawE

Oct 3, 2015
Got it working, not sure how. I formated and flashed again and it worke.

Is it possible to decrypt data from TWRP? It does not prompt me for my graphical
password when i start the recovery. Guesse i have to factory reset to install magisk.
I haven't found a way or a recovery with working decryption. I think flashing Magisk should be fine even with encrypted /data partition (it has worked for me on PE). Flashing of the Magisk uninstaller script, however, won't work with /data encrypted.

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Got it working, not sure how. I formated and flashed again and it worke.

Is it possible to decrypt data from TWRP? It does not prompt me for my graphical
password when i start the recovery. Guesse i have to factory reset to install magisk.
I haven't found a way or a recovery with working decryption. I think flashing Magisk should be fine even with encrypted /data partition (it has worked for me on PE). Flashing of the Magisk uninstaller script, however, won't work with /data encrypted.

Which custom recovery do you use? I use twrp 3.4.0_10 without problems. I get prompt to decrypt user data every time I reboot to recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like more often updates just for the google security patches.
    Makes sense. I 'll try to keep up with the security patch updates, this means kind of monthly updates.

By the way, new build uploading.
    Makes sense. I 'll try to keep up with the security patch updates, this means kind of monthly updates.

By the way, new build uploading.
    Awesome! Thank you very much! You are doing awesome work!
    Oh ok didn't know that there was such an app, the only reason I didn't flash this is because I imagined myself looking for apks manually over the internet everyday, I'll go ahead and try it, thanks!!
    As well as Aurora Store, you can also install the F-Droid app which gives you trustworthy access to a large number of open source apps. Their apps have all either been built and signed by them, or have come direct from (and are signed by) the original developers.

As I mentioned, Aurora gets apps directly from Google's Play store, so will have been subject to Google's security policies.

I don't use /e/'s own 'Apps` app store (except to install F-droid, which I then use to install Aurora Store). It has a more limited choice of apps, and you can't be certain exactly where the `.apk`s are coming from: all come via CleanAPK.org which states

> Most of open source applications available through our API are mirrored from F-Droid

It says nothing about the non-open source apps, though it is widely believed they come from ApkPure.

I have been able to find all the apps I need through either F-Droid or Aurora Store - no internet apk hunts needed :)
    /e/ OS

/e/ is a “deGoogled” version of Android OS, actually a fork of LineageOS. It has an open-source Android OS core, with no Google apps or Google services accessing your personal data.

Your data is YOUR data!

Learn more

Download
    Github Releases

Flash and update instructions

If you are coming from MIUI.

- Unlock the bootloader and install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
    - Disable AVB by flashing stock vbmeta.img with the following command: "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img".
    - Find a decent working TWRP, flash, and boot it using the manual key combo (e.g. official non-CFW TWRP or LR.TWRP for A9 if you are on MIUI A9, LR.TWRP for A10 if you are on MIUI A10).
    - If you have begoniain, run this command "adb shell resetprop ro.product.device begoniain".
    - Format data.
    - Reboot into System.

If you are coming from a non-CFW custom rom.
    - Reboot to fastboot and Install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
    - Boot into custom non-CFW recovery.
    - Format data.
    - Reboot into System.

If you already are on a CFW custom rom with CFW custom recovery installed.
    - Boot into custom CFW recovery.
    - Format data if you're clean flashing. Skip this step if you are just updating /e/ os.
    - Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is being reflashed together with the rom zip).
    - Reboot into System.

About the builds
    - Remember that the builds tagged with "testing" have a little higher chance to include unresolved issues.
    - There is no OTA-update support, at least at the moment.
    - CFW is included in the rom zips. There is no need for flashing any extra CFW zip.
    - I have no plans of trying to make this rom official (lack of time for propper maintainance). The basic thing that needs to be fixed right now is SELinux and this is probably not going to happen any time soon. If you are a developer that wishes to take over this project and make it official or maybe just fix SELinux, please, go ahead and do it!

Issues
    - The camera doesn't have full resolution support.
    - SELinux is Permissive.
    - You tell me!

Repositories used in building this rom
    android_device_xiaomi_begonia: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begonia
    android_device_xiaomi_begoniain: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begoniain
    android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785
    android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common
    android_hardware_mediatek: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_mediatek
    android_device_mediatek_sepolicy: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_mediatek_sepolicy
    proprietary_vendor_firmware: https://github.com/HyperTeam/proprietary_vendor_firmware
    proprietary_vendor_xiaomi: https://gitlab.com/the-muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi/-/tree/lineage-17.1
    android_vendor_e: https://gitlab.e.foundation/steadfasterX/android_vendor_e/

Special thanks
    * @theimpulson , @Sahil_Sonar , @Agent_fabulous and rest of developers and testers that gave life to the development of Redmi Note 8 pro.
    * @steadfasterX who patiently guided me in the process of building an android rom for the first time.
    * Have I forgotten someone? Please poke me with the name!

Contribute
    Feel like contributing/donating? Please contact the above aforementioned people or look for a "donate" link in their posts/threads. You could also consider contributing to the /e/ foundation.

Support links
    /e/ community forum: https://community.e.foundation/
    /e/ announcements (Telegram group): https://t.me/mydataismydata
    /e/ community support (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/C49jqEUbP-CNUGjzu-dTEA
    /e/ public (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/GNc9FVNKxz5OGPo3mFql5g
    Begonia Support | Custom ROMs (Telegram group): https://t.me/dreamsupportbegonia
    Useful information about /e/

* What’s in /e/?

The /e/ ROM is a fork of LineageOS that is strongly ungoogled. It consists of:
    • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
    • various online services such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.
    It is not mandatory to use the /e/ services though. If you want to enjoy this degoogled rom and at the same time not use the /e/ services, the /e/ apps can easily be disabled. This way, one can set up a private server for contacts/calendar/files sync (eg. with Nextcloud) and use this instead.

* DeGoogling / UnGoogling

The goal of “unGoogling” is to remove or disable any little or big feature that is sending any data to Google servers, and to offer non-Google default online services, including for search.
    • Google default search engine is removed everywhere and replaced by other services.
    • Google Services are replaced by microG and alternative services.
    • all Google apps are removed and replaced by good alternative applications
    • Google servers are not used anymore to check connectivity
    • NTP servers are not Google NTP servers anymore
    • DNS default servers are not Google anymore, and their settings can be enforced by the user to a specific server
    • Geolocation is using Mozilla Location Services in addition to GPS
    • CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization application (DAVDroid) is fully integrated with the user account and calendar/contact application

* Description of /e/ default applications

All pre-installed applications are open source applications but the Maps app.
    • Web-browser: an ungoogled fork of Chromium, built from Bromite patch-sets, with specific /e/ settings
    • Mail: a fork of K9-mail for better user experience, some bugfixes and support for oauth, with OpenKeyChain for PGP encryption support
    • SMS: a fork of QKSMS
    • Camera: a fork of OpenCamera
    • Dialer: default Android dialer application
    • Calendar: a fork of Etar calendar, that fixes crashes with calendar invitations
    • Clock: a fork of Android deskclock application
    • Gallery: default Android gallery3d application
    • Filemanager: Android documentsui application
    • Sound recorder: default LineageOS sound recorder
    • Calculator: default Android calculator2 application
    • Keyboard: default Android keyboard
    • Android application installer is /e/ application installer, that supports more than 60,000 applications.
    • Maps: MagicEarth
    • Weather: a fork of GoodWeather for a modified user interface, using data fetched from Open Weather Map
    • PDF reader: PdfViewer Plus
    • Notes: a fork of NextCloud Notes to support /e/ online accounts
    • Tasks: OpenTasks

* Description of /e/ online services at ecloud.global

• /e/ “spot” at https://spot.ecloud.global search engine is a fork of SearX meta-search engine, with major look&feel improvements and peformance improvements
    • /e/ cloud (ecloud.global) includes drive, mail, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks and office. It’s built upon NextCloud, Postfix, Dovecot and OnlyOffice. It’s been integrated to offer a single login identity in /e/OS as well as online, where users can retrieve their data at https://ecloud.global services, or self-hosted on their own server
    Build Guide
    Here is an /e/ build guide. I don't know if all my practices are optimal but I would gladly receive any feedback on how to make it better.
    Thanks for an ungoogled rom.
    Is this rom non CFW?
    I've been using the ones recommend for PE. On forums there's only 3.3.1 Unofficial as far as I know. It'd be much appreciated If you posted a link for the 3.4.0 one :).

It is possible that this version hasn't been posted in xda. Here:

I grabbed it from this telegram group:

t.me/RedmiNote8ProUpdates