• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][CFW][10.0][UNOFFICIAL] /e/ OS [begonia/begoniain]

Search This thread

reist

Jan 10, 2007
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hello,

i cannot update because of a zip error.
I use twrp 3.4.0.0

Can i safely remove compatibility.zip from the rom archive to install the rom version 0.16?

1617866446092.png

Last edited:

sliveness

Jan 16, 2015
No, not safe yet. There is work being done in order to fix this but it is going to take some time.
Hi, I don't want to sound demanding, only just asking: Is there some progress concerning SELinux? For me, the real magic of /e/ is that there is absolutely no need to root anymore, simply because there is no spyware on board. And when you don't root you avoid this ugly cat-and-mouse game between banking/insurance/bla bla apps and magisk totally - what is by the way VERY essential when you live far away from your country and are totally dependent from your (f***ing) smartphone. So I am just a guy who simply desperately awaits for running all these apps under /e/... (which is by the way working for my stonehenge LG G4 perfectly. WelI... if the usb port there wouldn't be totally worn out...)

Reactions: schosslarock

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Hi, I don't want to sound demanding, only just asking: Is there some progress concerning SELinux? For me, the real magic of /e/ is that there is absolutely no need to root anymore, simply because there is no spyware on board. And when you don't root you avoid this ugly cat-and-mouse game between banking/insurance/bla bla apps and magisk totally - what is by the way VERY essential when you live far away from your country and are totally dependent from your (f***ing) smartphone. So I am just a guy who simply desperately awaits for running all these apps under /e/... (which is by the way working for my stonehenge LG G4 perfectly. WelI... if the usb port there wouldn't be totally worn out...)
This is a good question. I would also really want to have SELinux enabled on this rom. The developer of LOS can unfortunatelly not continue the development. I suppose that if we had SELinux enabled on LOS, it would be very easy to switch it on on /e/ too.

I tried to learn how to write SELinux rules myself and tried to do it for /e/ but I kind of failed. It is something that I found very hard, as I am just an enthusiast and not really a developer. I spent like 2 days trying to understand things but I didn't have more time to spare on it. So, I think I am personally not going to try to fix SELinux for /e/ on begonia. I hope that we'll find someone else who is intrested in fixing this and has the time!

By the way, what a coincidence, I own also an LG G4! Nice device. :)

Reactions: schosslarock

sliveness

Jan 16, 2015
This is a good question. I would also really want to have SELinux enabled on this rom. The developer of LOS can unfortunatelly not continue the development. I suppose that if we had SELinux enabled on LOS, it would be very easy to switch it on on /e/ too.

I tried to learn how to write SELinux rules myself and tried to do it for /e/ but I kind of failed. It is something that I found very hard, as I am just an enthusiast and not really a developer. I spent like 2 days trying to understand things but I didn't have more time to spare on it. So, I think I am personally not going to try to fix SELinux for /e/ on begonia. I hope that we'll find someone else who is intrested in fixing this and has the time!

By the way, what a coincidence, I own also an LG G4! Nice device. :)
No doubt, LG G4 is something special. Not only in positive but also in negative sense. But one of the former devs, steadfasterx, can tell you much more about that than me. As a simple user I appreciate your work very much, and I appreciate it even more that you make clear what you canNOT do. Therefore my tipp: Ask Steadfasterx, 'cause he is the dev of Lgg4 /e/. Maybe he has something for you, because his /e/ is NOT official...

Reactions: polfrank

reist

Jan 10, 2007
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hoi @polfrank

Do you have any idea for my issue?

I am trying to stream from a Dutch Itv provider (kpn itv app) to my chhromecast.

I also have a phone with Google stuff on it and there it works fine.

With this gom without Google i do not see a chromecast icon. Casting works with all apps except the provider app.
I tried to hide root with magisk. No success.

According to the provider the problem could be DRM.

Do you have any leads?

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Hoi @polfrank

Do you have any idea for my issue?

I am trying to stream from a Dutch Itv provider (kpn itv app) to my chhromecast.

I also have a phone with Google stuff on it and there it works fine.

With this gom without Google i do not see a chromecast icon. Casting works with all apps except the provider app.
I tried to hide root with magisk. No success.

According to the provider the problem could be DRM.

Do you have any leads?
Hoi!

/e/ uses microg instead of Google services. What you describe is a known bug of microg. Cast is not working (yet?). You could use vlc to cast video files because vlc uses its own cast implementation. But it seems like this workaround wouldn't help in your situation.

This is a typical example where the user has to choose between privacy and convenience. Good luck finding your sweet spot! :)

reist

Jan 10, 2007
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hoi!

/e/ uses microg instead of Google services. What you describe is a known bug of microg. Cast is not working (yet?). You could use vlc to cast video files because vlc uses its own cast implementation. But it seems like this workaround wouldn't help in your situation.

This is a typical example where the user has to choose between privacy and convenience. Good luck finding your sweet spot! :)
Found my sweet spot. I can live with no casting ;)

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Hoi @polfrank had development stopped for this ROM?
Hey! It has not stopped, but things have gotten a little slower lately. The reason is that I keep building updates right after every /e/ stable release but have stopped building testing builds. For example, right now, v0.17 is in testing phase and I plan to release an update when it gets to stable. Do you think it would be better with more frequent updates?

polfrank

Jul 5, 2012
Hi @polfrank, many thanks for the work, I also like this ROM, but do you have a chance to integrate the new front camera of the Note 8 pro in the ROM?
This is a little difficult question to answer. As you know, /e/ is based on lineage OS, which is not being developed for our device at this point. This is the reason this rom is also bound on CFW and it has not moved to newer vendor firmware. Because there is not a non-CFW lineage OS 17 for begonia. I could supposedly do this myself but I dont really have the time at this point.

Here is the plan:
A. Fof now, we continue with /e/ "as is", this means android 10 with CFW and no support for front camera on newer models.
B. I have seen interest by someone who may build lineage os 18 for begonia at some point. If this happens and /e/ releases also an android 11 version of /e/ os, we may see what you ask for because I plan on continuing with building /e/ android 11. The prerequisite is that the lineage os 18 that is going to be built for begonia will support the front canera on the newer models.

If someone has better ideas in regarding this project and time to implement them, please go ahead! :)

Last edited:

willi123

Feb 4, 2008
This is a little difficult question to answer. As you know, /e/ is based on lineage OS, which is not being developed for our device at this point. This is the reason this rom is also bound on CFW and it has not moved to newer vendor firmware. Because there is not a non-CFW lineage OS 17 for begonia. I could supposedly do this myself but I dont really have the time at this point.

Here is the plan:
A. Fof now, we continue with /e/ "as is", this means android 10 with CFW and no support for front camera on newer models.
B. I have seen interest by someone who may build lineage os 18 for begonia at some point. If this happens and /e/ releases also an android 11 version of /e/ os, we may see what you ask for because I plan on continuing with building /e/ android 11. The prerequisite is that the lineage os 18 that is going to be built for begonia will support the front canera on the newer models.

If someone has better ideas in regarding this project and time to implement them, please go ahead! :)
This sounds really good, many thanks for the answer and for your work.

reist

Jan 10, 2007
Redmi Note 8 Pro
Hey! It has not stopped, but things have gotten a little slower lately. The reason is that I keep building updates right after every /e/ stable release but have stopped building testing builds. For example, right now, v0.17 is in testing phase and I plan to release an update when it gets to stable. Do you think it would be better with more frequent updates?
HI i dont neccecerely think it will be better with more frequent updates.
I was just wondering if development is still ongoing.

schosslarock

Jan 24, 2013
I would like more often updates just for the google security patches.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like more often updates just for the google security patches.
    Makes sense. I 'll try to keep up with the security patch updates, this means kind of monthly updates.

By the way, new build uploading.
    Makes sense. I 'll try to keep up with the security patch updates, this means kind of monthly updates.

By the way, new build uploading.
    Awesome! Thank you very much! You are doing awesome work!
    Oh ok didn't know that there was such an app, the only reason I didn't flash this is because I imagined myself looking for apks manually over the internet everyday, I'll go ahead and try it, thanks!!
    As well as Aurora Store, you can also install the F-Droid app which gives you trustworthy access to a large number of open source apps. Their apps have all either been built and signed by them, or have come direct from (and are signed by) the original developers.

As I mentioned, Aurora gets apps directly from Google's Play store, so will have been subject to Google's security policies.

I don't use /e/'s own 'Apps` app store (except to install F-droid, which I then use to install Aurora Store). It has a more limited choice of apps, and you can't be certain exactly where the `.apk`s are coming from: all come via CleanAPK.org which states

> Most of open source applications available through our API are mirrored from F-Droid

It says nothing about the non-open source apps, though it is widely believed they come from ApkPure.

I have been able to find all the apps I need through either F-Droid or Aurora Store - no internet apk hunts needed :)
    /e/ OS

/e/ is a “deGoogled” version of Android OS, actually a fork of LineageOS. It has an open-source Android OS core, with no Google apps or Google services accessing your personal data.

Your data is YOUR data!

Learn more

Download
    Github Releases

Flash and update instructions

If you are coming from MIUI.

- Unlock the bootloader and install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
    - Disable AVB by flashing stock vbmeta.img with the following command: "fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img".
    - Find a decent working TWRP, flash, and boot it using the manual key combo (e.g. official non-CFW TWRP or LR.TWRP for A9 if you are on MIUI A9, LR.TWRP for A10 if you are on MIUI A10).
    - If you have begoniain, run this command "adb shell resetprop ro.product.device begoniain".
    - Format data.
    - Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is included in the rom zip).
    - Flash a CFW compatible recovery (like CFW TWRP) either from within the recovery you already have booted or by rebooting to fastboot.
    - Reboot into System.

If you are coming from a non-CFW custom rom.
    - Reboot to fastboot and Install brick protection (factory-preloader, lk, lk2). More info about these processes can be found here.
    - Boot into custom non-CFW recovery.
    - Format data.
    - Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is included in the rom zip).
    - Flash a CFW compatible recovery (like CFW TWRP) either from within the recovery you already have booted or by rebooting to fastboot.
    - Reboot into System.

If you already are on a CFW custom rom with CFW custom recovery installed.
    - Boot into custom CFW recovery.
    - Format data if you're clean flashing. Skip this step if you are just updating /e/ os.
    - Flash the latest /e/ OS build (CFW is being reflashed together with the rom zip).
    - Reboot into System.

About the builds
    - Remember that the builds tagged with "testing" have a little higher chance to include unresolved issues.
    - There is no OTA-update support, at least at the moment.
    - CFW is included in the rom zips. There is no need for flashing any extra CFW zip.
    - I have no plans of trying to make this rom official (lack of time for propper maintainance). The basic thing that needs to be fixed right now is SELinux and this is probably not going to happen any time soon. If you are a developer that wishes to take over this project and make it official or maybe just fix SELinux, please, go ahead and do it!

Issues
    - The camera doesn't have full resolution support.
    - SELinux is Permissive.
    - You tell me!

Repositories used in building this rom
    android_device_xiaomi_begonia: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begonia
    android_device_xiaomi_begoniain: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_begoniain
    android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_kernel_xiaomi_mt6785
    android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_mt6785-common
    android_hardware_mediatek: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_hardware_mediatek
    android_device_mediatek_sepolicy: https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_mediatek_sepolicy
    proprietary_vendor_firmware: https://github.com/HyperTeam/proprietary_vendor_firmware
    proprietary_vendor_xiaomi: https://gitlab.com/the-muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi/-/tree/lineage-17.1
    android_vendor_e: https://gitlab.e.foundation/steadfasterX/android_vendor_e/

Special thanks
    * @theimpulson , @Sahil_Sonar , @Agent_fabulous and rest of developers and testers that gave life to the development of Redmi Note 8 pro.
    * @steadfasterX who patiently guided me in the process of building an android rom for the first time.
    * Have I forgotten someone? Please poke me with the name!

Contribute
    Feel like contributing/donating? Please contact the above aforementioned people or look for a "donate" link in their posts/threads. You could also consider contributing to the /e/ foundation.

Support links
    /e/ community forum: https://community.e.foundation/
    /e/ announcements (Telegram group): https://t.me/mydataismydata
    /e/ community support (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/C49jqEUbP-CNUGjzu-dTEA
    /e/ public (Telegram group): https://t.me/joinchat/GNc9FVNKxz5OGPo3mFql5g
    Begonia Support | Custom ROMs (Telegram group): https://t.me/dreamsupportbegonia
    Useful information about /e/

* What’s in /e/?

The /e/ ROM is a fork of LineageOS that is strongly ungoogled. It consists of:
    • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
    • various online services such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.
    It is not mandatory to use the /e/ services though. If you want to enjoy this degoogled rom and at the same time not use the /e/ services, the /e/ apps can easily be disabled. This way, one can set up a private server for contacts/calendar/files sync (eg. with Nextcloud) and use this instead.

* DeGoogling / UnGoogling

The goal of “unGoogling” is to remove or disable any little or big feature that is sending any data to Google servers, and to offer non-Google default online services, including for search.
    • Google default search engine is removed everywhere and replaced by other services.
    • Google Services are replaced by microG and alternative services.
    • all Google apps are removed and replaced by good alternative applications
    • Google servers are not used anymore to check connectivity
    • NTP servers are not Google NTP servers anymore
    • DNS default servers are not Google anymore, and their settings can be enforced by the user to a specific server
    • Geolocation is using Mozilla Location Services in addition to GPS
    • CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization application (DAVDroid) is fully integrated with the user account and calendar/contact application

* Description of /e/ default applications

All pre-installed applications are open source applications but the Maps app.
    • Web-browser: an ungoogled fork of Chromium, built from Bromite patch-sets, with specific /e/ settings
    • Mail: a fork of K9-mail for better user experience, some bugfixes and support for oauth, with OpenKeyChain for PGP encryption support
    • SMS: a fork of QKSMS
    • Camera: a fork of OpenCamera
    • Dialer: default Android dialer application
    • Calendar: a fork of Etar calendar, that fixes crashes with calendar invitations
    • Clock: a fork of Android deskclock application
    • Gallery: default Android gallery3d application
    • Filemanager: Android documentsui application
    • Sound recorder: default LineageOS sound recorder
    • Calculator: default Android calculator2 application
    • Keyboard: default Android keyboard
    • Android application installer is /e/ application installer, that supports more than 60,000 applications.
    • Maps: MagicEarth
    • Weather: a fork of GoodWeather for a modified user interface, using data fetched from Open Weather Map
    • PDF reader: PdfViewer Plus
    • Notes: a fork of NextCloud Notes to support /e/ online accounts
    • Tasks: OpenTasks

* Description of /e/ online services at ecloud.global

• /e/ “spot” at https://spot.ecloud.global search engine is a fork of SearX meta-search engine, with major look&feel improvements and peformance improvements
    • /e/ cloud (ecloud.global) includes drive, mail, calendar, contacts, notes, tasks and office. It’s built upon NextCloud, Postfix, Dovecot and OnlyOffice. It’s been integrated to offer a single login identity in /e/OS as well as online, where users can retrieve their data at https://ecloud.global services, or self-hosted on their own server
    Build Guide
    Here is an /e/ build guide. I don't know if all my practices are optimal but I would gladly receive any feedback on how to make it better.
    Thanks for an ungoogled rom.
    Is this rom non CFW?
    I've been using the ones recommend for PE. On forums there's only 3.3.1 Unofficial as far as I know. It'd be much appreciated If you posted a link for the 3.4.0 one :).

It is possible that this version hasn't been posted in xda. Here:

I grabbed it from this telegram group:

t.me/RedmiNote8ProUpdates