ROM Chefs: SDAutoRun gives customziation to everybody!

Search This thread

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
User Customization is a config.txt file that's located on an SD card which can install cab & xml files located there too! Think about it: this gives anyone who loads your rom the ability to automatically install their preferred apps/settings as part of customization. Here's how to make your next ROM UC capable:
  • Cook the attached SDAutoRun.exe into \windows
  • if AutoRun.exe isn't already in \windows then place a copy there too. Note: some devices don't have a compatible AutoRun.exe. If you have issues, try the attached version.
  • Replace the "RST: Reset" line in config.txt with "EXEC:\windows\SDAutoRun.exe"

That's it! SDAutoRun will do the final reset unless it encounters a file called SDConfig.txt in the root directory of the storage card. If it sees this file, it will restart autorun and install cabs/configure settings from SDConfig.txt which can point to files that are also located on the SD card.

What's important is this: If every chef uses this system then ROM junkies will be able to freely move between ROMs. If you decide to include this in your next cooked ROM, then make sure you indicate that it's UC capable. I'd really like to make this a standard because it will greatly ease the time consuming task of re-installing apps/settings.

UC v2.0 is now Live!

Changelog
  • Works with non-WWE ROMs & Internal Storage Roms. SDAutoRun uses the registry to determine the default name for the Storage Card now. For newer devices, this key might be missing altogether so just cook it in. The "Folder" value points to the actual location that contains sdconfig.txt. Here's the key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\SDMemory]
    "Folder"="Storage Card"
  • Automatically corrects SDConfig.txt formatting errors. Extra/missing tabs, spaces, newline characters etc are corrected before passing to autorun.exe.
  • New string value "SDAutoRunVersion" created in HKLM\comm contains "2.0". This will help debug SDConfig.txt file issues in the user thread.

SDAutorun v2.0 is fully compatible with all SDConfig.txt files created to date. Additionally, there now shouldn't be a config file users can throw at it that it won't re-format to the following template:
  • Commands will be left justified into the first 5 characters and space filled
  • Parameters will be left justified to the 6th character and trailing whitespace will be removed
  • Lines that don't contain a command will not be passed to autorun. Note: To determine validity, I only check for a ":" in postion 4 or 5 here to allow for future command expansion.
  • if no valid commands are encountered, then a file containing only "RST: Reset" will be created

Assumptions
  • SDAutoRun is not signed so security must be relaxed in HKLM\Security\Policies\Polices by setting the value 0000101a to a 1.
  • SDConfig.txt cannot be Unicode.

Here's a link to the User's side of ROM customization:

ROM Flashing Junkies: User Customization is here!

If you build a UC capable ROM, be sure to link to the above thread. Also shoot me a PM and I'll add your ROM to the UC capable list.

The key here is that UC is an automated, unattended configuration. Setting it up is done out of the Hard Reset window and once its on your SD card, it works any time you hard reset. Automated is good because it allows mass customization from a business standpoint too. Any business using a UC capable ROM can set up a single "ROM customization" SD card then give it to their IT staff for the daily provisioning of company software/branding on new devices. Your UC capable ROMs have business appeal now! ;)

We are also working on tools that will simplify the XML/SDConfig.txt file creation process. Several good ones have already surfaced in the Users thread.

Useful Stuff

Attachments

• autorun.zip
    36.8 KB · Views: 6,255
  • SDAutoRunv2.0.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 7,115
Last edited:
Reactions: Cheque

Laurentius26

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 22, 2005
UC

Very nice.

For flashing junkies it's necassary yes, after each flash all your favorit apps auto installed is awsom, nice one Sleuth :D

Noonski

Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Hehe many many thanks.

I tried to get this working with the standard AutoRun from SD but i couln't get it working.

Screw Extended Rom completly.

Great Work.

Making A bookmark.

sambartle

Dec 17, 2006
Sheffield
www.sambartle.co.uk
Awesome application.. so simple I'm amazed it took this long for someone to think of it!

I've cooked it into my ROM.. but I haven't released it so it cant really count as a UC compliant ROM..

It's definitely useful though and I'd love to see others using it. Thanks Sleuth

wacky.banana

Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2007
Already Found in Kin0kin ROMS

Great idea; however Kin0kin released a couple of roms some time ago that do this plus his final WM6 rom is also capable of auto install of applications off a storage card in this way.

WB

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
And why not change the reg

HKLM\Comm

\Extended_ROM\autorun.exe
and
\Extended_ROM\config.txt

into

\Storage Card\autorun.exe
and
\Storage Card\config.txt

Most ELF roms don't use Ext rom Auto installs any ways.

I still think this is a good cause because he's trying to get more people into doing this.

Instead of one or a few cooks integrating this.

sorry. AutoRun, by HTC design, cannot install apps to your storage card.

Well it shouldn't be hard to patch cab files hardcoded to a path on SD Card. (once i have found all my software back) But not something for a regular user nope.

Sorry to hear that Limitation still exists, seeing your actually using the Original Autorun.

I was allready removing this from my Roms.

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
And why not change the reg

HKLM\Comm

\Extended_ROM\autorun.exe
and
\Extended_ROM\config.txt

into

\Storage Card\autorun.exe
and
\Storage Card\config.txt

that's pretty much what SDAutoRun does. It reconfigures the reg settings as you indicate and re-runs autorun. First however, it changes SDconfig.txt referenced cabs to RO since on a kaiser at least, the reg settings to prevent post installation CAB removal are ignored by AutoRun. Also, if no SDConfig.txt exists or there is no SD card installed, then it generates a quick one line config.txt containg the RST: command then re-runs autorun. On a Kaiser at least, the RST: command also re-activates the radio first. Without it, the device comes up with the radio disabled. I figured this scheme would maintain compatibility across all devices.

The standard is the important thing though as you indicate. You don't need to incorporate SDAutoRun in the manner I suggest. Whatever scheme works best for you is fine as long as it meets the following specifications:
  • user config occurs after all other autorun config
  • if SDConfig.txt is found on the storage card, set up the registry and re-run autorun
  • if SDConfig.txt is missing or there is no storage card installed then perform the final RST:
  • don't remove CABS from the storage card after installation.

I just thought my little 31K pgm was the easiset way to accomplish this. On deck is a way to do this even if the user renames the storage card... ;)

Last edited:

Noonski

Apr 18, 2005
Amsterdam
noonski.nl
Well looks like you can ad me to the list after monday.

I'm going to strip The new 6. rom to the bone and make some custom cabs hardcoded to SD card installation for the stripped Apps that can work from SD.

smarvest

Feb 19, 2007
Regedit setting

HKLM\Security\Policies\Polices by setting the value 0000101C to a 1.

Can someone tell me what's "a 1"?

??[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies]
"0000101C"=dword:a 1??

or

??[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies]
"0000101C"=dword:a1??

Cheers

remlle

Sep 21, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Probably a dumb question but where would I put this file in the base kit I have. I have a base kit for wm6.1 on titan. Ide love to cook up a rom but I dont know where this file goes.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    User Customization is a config.txt file that's located on an SD card which can install cab & xml files located there too! Think about it: this gives anyone who loads your rom the ability to automatically install their preferred apps/settings as part of customization. Here's how to make your next ROM UC capable:
    • Cook the attached SDAutoRun.exe into \windows
    • if AutoRun.exe isn't already in \windows then place a copy there too. Note: some devices don't have a compatible AutoRun.exe. If you have issues, try the attached version.
    • Replace the "RST: Reset" line in config.txt with "EXEC:\windows\SDAutoRun.exe"

That's it! SDAutoRun will do the final reset unless it encounters a file called SDConfig.txt in the root directory of the storage card. If it sees this file, it will restart autorun and install cabs/configure settings from SDConfig.txt which can point to files that are also located on the SD card.

What's important is this: If every chef uses this system then ROM junkies will be able to freely move between ROMs. If you decide to include this in your next cooked ROM, then make sure you indicate that it's UC capable. I'd really like to make this a standard because it will greatly ease the time consuming task of re-installing apps/settings.

UC v2.0 is now Live!

Changelog
    • Works with non-WWE ROMs & Internal Storage Roms. SDAutoRun uses the registry to determine the default name for the Storage Card now. For newer devices, this key might be missing altogether so just cook it in. The "Folder" value points to the actual location that contains sdconfig.txt. Here's the key:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\SDMemory]
      "Folder"="Storage Card"
    • Automatically corrects SDConfig.txt formatting errors. Extra/missing tabs, spaces, newline characters etc are corrected before passing to autorun.exe.
    • New string value "SDAutoRunVersion" created in HKLM\comm contains "2.0". This will help debug SDConfig.txt file issues in the user thread.

SDAutorun v2.0 is fully compatible with all SDConfig.txt files created to date. Additionally, there now shouldn't be a config file users can throw at it that it won't re-format to the following template:
    • Commands will be left justified into the first 5 characters and space filled
    • Parameters will be left justified to the 6th character and trailing whitespace will be removed
    • Lines that don't contain a command will not be passed to autorun. Note: To determine validity, I only check for a ":" in postion 4 or 5 here to allow for future command expansion.
    • if no valid commands are encountered, then a file containing only "RST: Reset" will be created

Assumptions
    • SDAutoRun is not signed so security must be relaxed in HKLM\Security\Policies\Polices by setting the value 0000101a to a 1.
    • SDConfig.txt cannot be Unicode.

Here's a link to the User's side of ROM customization:

ROM Flashing Junkies: User Customization is here!

If you build a UC capable ROM, be sure to link to the above thread. Also shoot me a PM and I'll add your ROM to the UC capable list.

The key here is that UC is an automated, unattended configuration. Setting it up is done out of the Hard Reset window and once its on your SD card, it works any time you hard reset. Automated is good because it allows mass customization from a business standpoint too. Any business using a UC capable ROM can set up a single "ROM customization" SD card then give it to their IT staff for the daily provisioning of company software/branding on new devices. Your UC capable ROMs have business appeal now! ;)

We are also working on tools that will simplify the XML/SDConfig.txt file creation process. Several good ones have already surfaced in the Users thread.

Useful Stuff
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone