[ROM] CM11 for Find7s: Nightly discussion

Search This thread

tdm

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2011
Seattle
About CyanogenMod

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android which is designed to increase security, performance, reliability and customization over stock Android.

About nightly builds

Nightly builds are automatically compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. These builds are not officially supported. If you find bugs or issues please discuss here. Do not submit bug reports for nightly builds on the CyanogenMod issue tracker.

How to install

Preparation

Ensure you have a working copy of ADB for your PC. A simple search should find versions for all major operating systems.

If you are running "stock" (ColorOS), the first thing you will need is a recovery. There are many recoveries available. The most popular ones are CWM and TWRP. Please consult other threads to find and install a suitable recovery.

Once you have a suitable recovery, download from download.cyanogenmod.org to your PC.

If you wish to have Google applications available such as the Play Store, download a current copy of gapps. CM recommended gapps are shown at wiki.cyanogenmod.org.

Reboot your phone into recovery.

Installation

If you wish to save any of your current data, back it up. Details vary by recovery. The app "Titanium Backup" is also popular to backup and restore your installed apps.

Wipe your internal data. Again, details vary by recovery. The option is usually called "wipe data / factory reset" or something similar. This is absolutely critical and required if you are coming from a stock ROM or a different third party ROM. Note! If you are coming from a previous nightly build of CM11, you can often get away with keeping your data. But if you encounter any issues, please wipe data and retry.

Find an option in your recovery that looks like "Install from sideload" or Install from ADB" and select it. On your PC, run "adb sideload cm-11-yyyymmdd-NIGHTLY-find7.zip". ADB should show a progress indicator. When the file has completed uploading, it should install. Repeat with your gapps package if desired.

Reboot your phone. The first boot after install can take a few minutes (usually no more than 5 minutes) so be patient.

Enjoy!

tdm
Systems Engineer
Cyanogen, Inc.

tdm

Jun 7, 2011
Seattle
Known Issues

* Find7s: Screen may not wake when phone is hot.

This is apparently an interaction between the thermal throttling code and the video/gpu driver. It has been reproduced and we are working on a fix.

* Find7s: Notification light sometimes misbehaves.

We are working on a fix.

* Find7a: Battery sometimes drains too quickly.

This issue is under investigation. We do not have a repro or a fix at this point.

* Find7a: Mic doesn't work while on speakerphone.

This issue is under investigation. We do not have a repro or a fix at this point.

Last edited:

Rudolpht

Sep 5, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mi MIX Fold
Has anyone noticed that with the 0716 update, xposed throws a systemui error and you cannot get to Modules (it restarts prior to showing Modules).
Tried uninstall xposed and all modules individually. Reinstall not fixing issue

Thanks for creating this Find 7 specific thread.

fuzion23

Jul 7, 2014
The mic issue when on speakerphone also an issue on the Find 7. The other issues I notice is the notification volume like when I get sms text messages or hangout messages it pretty loud and I cant seem to adjust the volume on it. Its getting better with the nightlys though. Appreciate the hard work. =)

Known Issues

This is apparently an interaction between the thermal throttling code and the video/gpu driver. It has been reproduced and we are working on a fix.

We are working on a fix.

tdm

Jun 7, 2011
Seattle
Working on the black screen issue today. I can repro it easily now using "stability test" but the phone needs to be pretty hot to trigger it. Usually about 38c battery temp. Don't know if others are seeing the same thing or if it happens at lower temps for some.

I've eliminated user space thermal engine as a cause. I deleted it and the problem still happens, and goes away after a couple minutes.

Ill be going over the kernel tomorrow.

Nucleonic

Jan 22, 2012
My temperatures were cooler, probably closer to 30c. Despite cooling down, the BSoD wouldn't go away and I could only access my screen following a boot.

We know the Gummy kernel works. Can we reverse engineer it to see what the fundamental differences are?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rmaheshiyer

Sep 2, 2012
Mic Problem in Speaker phone

The mic issue when on speakerphone also an issue on the Find 7. The other issues I notice is the notification volume like when I get sms text messages or hangout messages it pretty loud and I cant seem to adjust the volume on it. Its getting better with the nightlys though. Appreciate the hard work. =)

Could the mic issue when on speakerphone with 7s be please added in the known issue post.

tdm

Jun 7, 2011
Seattle
So i spent the entire day yesterday trying to track down the black screen issue. I went through the DT, the kernel thermal driver, the userspace thermal engine, the thermal engine config, and everything else I can think of. Nothing is wrong with the CM kernel.

The current theory is that the stock/gummy kernels have more conservative GPU frequency/voltage settings that are preventing them from overheating. I will test that on Monday (I'm off work today). If this is the problem, we will need to solve it with the thermal engine config -- we will not degrade performance of the bacon and find7a for this issue.

Doomboss

Jul 17, 2012
So i spent the entire day yesterday trying to track down the black screen issue. I went through the DT, the kernel thermal driver, the userspace thermal engine, the thermal engine config, and everything else I can think of. Nothing is wrong with the CM kernel.

The current theory is that the stock/gummy kernels have more conservative GPU frequency/voltage settings that are preventing them from overheating. I will test that on Monday (I'm off work today). If this is the problem, we will need to solve it with the thermal engine config -- we will not degrade performance of the bacon and find7a for this issue.

I don't think Find 7a users are experiencing BSOD though, are they? :p:p

Rudolpht

Sep 5, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mi MIX Fold
I have had 5 blackouts today. It does appear to me that many times these are heat related. Can a govenor be adjusted to not go above a certain threshold.

I love CM11. I hope this is solvable. (Nooo Mr Wizard I don't want to go baaak)

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

Thank you. Have a good weekend.

Sebring5

Aug 23, 2010
Scottsdale AZ
I have had no SOD on CM and one on Gummy. It is kind of a tossup between Gummy and CM which is better. No real difference I can see. I think I might like CM better. My point is SOD is not limited to CM.

Tibedabeeto

Apr 15, 2010
Orlando
I got the SoD issue twice so far in the 3 days using cm11. I also noticed notification light issue. I also get insufficient space in titanium randomly when trying to back up everything, if I just do recent apps it works. Anyone else have this problem.

Sent from my Find7 using XDA Free mobile app

nativeridge

Jan 9, 2013
Perth
Feedback

I have been on CM11 for 3 days now (x9076) and had no BScreen issues - started on 717 and now on 718
Just ran benchmarking tools as not into games to try and get BSOD - Device got hot after reruns but feel confident of it was going to break it would of....
My OPPO Find7 scored 17272 in the 3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited Android benchmark test. http://bit.ly/3dmark-android hehe

Weird when using any root file manager after say, copying then pasting action will get a crash in the file manager BUT on reopening it has completed the action that caused the crash..... just an observation but it is a constant occurrence

Great work and kudos to those working on developing..... CM is the ducks nutz

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About CyanogenMod

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android which is designed to increase security, performance, reliability and customization over stock Android.

About nightly builds

Nightly builds are automatically compiled builds of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. These builds are not officially supported. If you find bugs or issues please discuss here. Do not submit bug reports for nightly builds on the CyanogenMod issue tracker.

How to install

Preparation

Ensure you have a working copy of ADB for your PC. A simple search should find versions for all major operating systems.

If you are running "stock" (ColorOS), the first thing you will need is a recovery. There are many recoveries available. The most popular ones are CWM and TWRP. Please consult other threads to find and install a suitable recovery.

Once you have a suitable recovery, download from download.cyanogenmod.org to your PC.

If you wish to have Google applications available such as the Play Store, download a current copy of gapps. CM recommended gapps are shown at wiki.cyanogenmod.org.

Reboot your phone into recovery.

Installation

If you wish to save any of your current data, back it up. Details vary by recovery. The app "Titanium Backup" is also popular to backup and restore your installed apps.

Wipe your internal data. Again, details vary by recovery. The option is usually called "wipe data / factory reset" or something similar. This is absolutely critical and required if you are coming from a stock ROM or a different third party ROM. Note! If you are coming from a previous nightly build of CM11, you can often get away with keeping your data. But if you encounter any issues, please wipe data and retry.

Find an option in your recovery that looks like "Install from sideload" or Install from ADB" and select it. On your PC, run "adb sideload cm-11-yyyymmdd-NIGHTLY-find7.zip". ADB should show a progress indicator. When the file has completed uploading, it should install. Repeat with your gapps package if desired.

Reboot your phone. The first boot after install can take a few minutes (usually no more than 5 minutes) so be patient.

Enjoy!

tdm
    Systems Engineer
    Cyanogen, Inc.
    Known Issues

We are working on a fix.

Working on the black screen issue today. I can repro it easily now using "stability test" but the phone needs to be pretty hot to trigger it. Usually about 38c battery temp. Don't know if others are seeing the same thing or if it happens at lower temps for some.

I've eliminated user space thermal engine as a cause. I deleted it and the problem still happens, and goes away after a couple minutes.

Ill be going over the kernel tomorrow.
    Black screen issue was fixed today. Special thanks to all the testers! :)
    What about other bugs?
    *Mic doesn't work while on speakerphone.
    *Notification light sometimes misbehaves.
    They are next. The screen issue was a show stopper so it was first priority.