[ROM][CM13][CAF] DARK ROM [Optimized][Delta Updates][08/21]

Search This thread

Dark_Eyes_

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Sep 19, 2013
Hi guys,

I've been building an extra lean CM13 ROM for hammerheadcaf with a few added features. A lot of CM packages have been stripped down, only the bare minimum is built to provide a fast and stable ROM. That gives you much more freedom as you can install exactly what you really want from the Playstore. You can install most of the missing packages manually, they are available in a flashable zip on the server (see second post).

Key features
ROM comes with TrueSight v3.0 builtin (with a few of my own tweaks)
Up to date MOB30Y vendor from Myfluxi's and Kylon's repo

Option to choose between dialer and voice assist in lockscreen
Option to hide next alarm from expanded status bar and lockscreen
Clock font and size customizable
Hide bluetooth icon when disconnected
Disable immersive messages
HeadsUp timeout and blacklist/whitelist
Longpress power button while screen off to trigger flashlight
Battery saver options
Keyboard options
SSID in status bar
Network traffic in status bar
Volume steps
Navigation bar size
Seconds in status bar
SuperSU builtin
AdAway and Xposed builtin (in developer options)
Synapse builtin
OpenDelta builtin for delta updates
ViPER4Android builtin (and working in Enforcing)

Optimizations
Every effort has been made to optimize the ROM the most :

ROM built with SABERMOD GCC 5.4 and DRAGONTC 4.0 (O3, Graphite, Strict aliasing, Polly, OpenMP, Pthread, LTO/ThinLTO, Krait tunings and lots of extra optimization flags)
KERNEL built with SABERMOD GCC 7.0 (O3, Graphite, OpenMP and lots of extra optimization flags)
Java built with OpenJDK 8
Removed some useless debugging

Installation
You will need latest radio (2.0.50.2.29) and latest bootloader (HHZ20h)
Latest TWRP recovery 3.0.2-0 for hammerheadcaf is highly recommended (and mandatory for delta updates)

If coming from any other ROM
Backup first... always backup first
Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache
Install ROM
Install GAPPS (opengapps are recommended)
Enjoy !

If coming from a previous build of mine
Backup (you know it)
Dirty flash
Enjoy! (if anything goes wrong, clean flash)

Xposed app is preinstalled and available in the developer options menu. BUT, you will have to install the Xposed framework in recovery if you want it. Afterward, it will survive dirty flashes, so you only need to flash it once. Please, be smart and only install required Xposed packages. Installing too many packages can cause weird behavior and I won't be responsible for it.

Download
To download the whole ROM
AndroidFileHost

To download delta updates
Go to Settings/About phone/System updates and use the OpenDelta app to automatically download delta updates.

Delta Updates
(Information to be confirmed later)
Here are a few explanations on how to use delta updates. First, you will need to keep the first full build you downloaded on your sdcard (any full build that have NIGHTLY in the filename will do). I recommend that you keep it on the root of your sdcard until you flash a new build with the OpenDelta app. After that, the OpenDelta app will automatically place a new flashable zip inside the OpenDelta folder that will be used for the next delta updates. At that point you can delete the build on the root of your sdcard, but you will need to keep the (latest) file in the OpenDelta folder at all times to keep the delta updates working.

You will also notice a folder named FlashAfterUpdate in the OpenDelta folder. As its name suggests, any flashable zip files that you put in this folder will be flashed automatically after the update. I recommend that you put all your extra flashable zips there, cause if you use the app to auto-flash the latest build, it will reboot automatically after updating, which means you won't have the opportunity to manually flash other zips.

Support
Please consider a donation if you like my work !!!

I hope you enjoy it !!!

Thanks and credit
CyanogenMod
@myfluxi
@lol4topnz
@kylon
@xanaxdroid
@frap129
@DVDandroid
@theapuv
All the good devs who contributed to the features I added

Last edited:

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Extra Packages
On the server you will find a file named ExtraPackages_date.zip which contains a few apps that are not available out of the box in my builds (see list). You won't have to flash it every update, since there is a survival script. I suggest you open the zip and remove the files you don't need. As such, there are 2 browsers (Browser and Gello) and 2 cameras (Camera2 and Snap).
Here is what's included:
- Browser
- Gello
- Calendar
- Camera
- Snap
- Eleven
- Gallery
- Messaging

AudioFX
Those who prefer using AudioFX instead of ViPER4Android can now download a flashable zip named V4AtoAudioFX_date.zip that I uploaded on the server. It will uninstall V4A and install AudioFX. You won't have to flash it every update, since there is a survival script.

Changelog
08/21
- Upstream updates from CM
- Removed option to have 4 or 5 columns in QS
- Added option to have seconds in status bar
- Replaced Kernel Adiutor Mod with Synapse
- Added OpenDelta (in Settings/About phone/System updates)
- ROM built with GCC 5.4 SABERMOD

Older changelogs

08/13
- Added option to have 3, 4 or 5 columns in QS
- Replaced Synapse with Kernel Adiutor Mod
08/06
- Updated to 6.0.1_r61
- August security patch
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v3.0
- Latest blobs from Myfluxi and Kylon (MOB30Y)
- Updated Xposed Installer from DVDandroid
- ROM built with GCC 6.1 SABERMOD
07/27
- Built with latest DragonTC 4.0
07/21
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.8
- Updated Xposed Installer (DVDandroid version)
- Used Google Webview (in hope of fixing Google Play Services battery drain)
07/10
- Updated to 6.0.1_r52
- July security patch
- Latest blobs from Kylon (MOB30P)
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.7
- Added option to resize the navigation bar (in buttons settings)
- Added blurred lockscreen (in lock screen settings)
- Updated SuperSU and AdAway
- ROM built with GCC 5.4 SABERMOD
- Removed DragonTC for now (fixes OK Google recognition)
06/27
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.6
- Updated XposedInstaller (DVDandroid version)
- Used CM Webview (might need a clean install)
- Built with latest DragonTC 3.9
06/16
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.5 (fix for data connection problem)
- Tweaked some default kernel settings
- Removed optimizations for some packages (fix for OK Google hotword not working)
06/09
- Updated to 6.0.1_r46
- June security patch
- Latest blobs from Kylon (MOB30M)
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.4
- ROM built with GCC 5.3 SABERMOD
06/01
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.3
- Updated UKM to v3.9.3
- Updated XposedInstaller (DVDandroid version)
- Updated SuperSU to v2.74
- Updated Webview
- ROM built with GCC 6.1 Linaro
05/27
- Added SSID in status bar
- Added Network traffic in status bar
- Added Volume steps
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.2 (with temporary audio fix)
05/20
- Updated to latest CM upstream
- Updated TrueSight kernel to v2.1
- Updated Webview
- Removed double tap to sleep on lockscreen (broken since CM LiveLockScreen)
05/12
- SuperSU 2.72
05/09
- Replaced KernelAdiutor with Synapse
- UKM preinstalled and fully working
- Fixed the clock size not sticking after reboot
05/06
- Updated to 6.0.1_r43
- May security patch
- Latest blobs from Kylon (MOB30H)
- Xposed Installer from dvdandroid
- Font and size of clock is now customizable

Last edited:

acat550

Nov 28, 2012
Looks promising and right up my alley! Will test and report back!! Thanks!

Edit: which gapps do you recommend? I have been using openapps, however with cm the compatibility seems to be lacking. So I switched to slimgapps, however, they have no launcher nor keyboard with them. I can find apks for the launcher and key board, but I don't think you can install them without a launcher correct?

Last edited:

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Theme engine is still in.

See second post for info on how to manually install launcher and keyboard

Last edited:

star_throne

Jul 3, 2014
Seems nice, do you use JustArchi's optimizations? And can i uninstall V4A easily enough because i want to use customized one?

And opengapps do work since 25.4, just remember to not use old builds you possibly have lying around.

Last edited:
Reactions: daviscr618

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Seems nice, do you use JustArchi's optimizations? And can i uninstall V4A easily enough because i want to use customized one?

And opengapps do work since 25.4, just remember to not use old builds you possibly have lying around.

Well I use a lot more optimization than JustArchi's. But to answer the question, I have an equivalent form of the O3 optimization JustArchi has. About V4A, if you want to use a custom apk, you can easily replace the one provided with the one you like. If it contains other mods, than it might not work as easily. I don't recommend flashing any V4A package on top of the ROM, but if you link me to file I can take a look if there is a way to make it work.

Reactions: V4LT5U

star_throne

Jul 3, 2014
Well I use a lot more optimization than JustArchi's. But to answer the question, I have an equivalent form of the O3 optimization JustArchi has. About V4A, if you want to use a custom apk, you can easily replace the one provided with the one you like. If it contains other mods, than it might not work as easily. I don't recommend flashing any V4A package on top of the ROM, but if you link me to file I can take a look if there is a way to make it work.
I plan using this http://xdaforums.com/android/software/viperaudio-viperatmos-3-8-sq-driver-t3289075 ViperAtmos 4.8 sony beats edition, still not sure if i use that specific one, there are million different versions

acat550

Nov 28, 2012
I tried following your instructions to put the apks in the sys/app folder but I do not have such folder. I think I am missing something? I tried putting them in the data folder however did not get installed during initial boot. If you could let me know that would be awesome!

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
New build is up!!!

I changed my mind and added back Trebuchet (CM launcher) and the keyboard, so you won't have to mess around when you first flash the ROM (or a new build for that matter).

I won't release new builds everyday, expect them once or twice a week.

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
I tried following your instructions to put the apks in the sys/app folder but I do not have such folder. I think I am missing something? I tried putting them in the data folder however did not get installed during initial boot. If you could let me know that would be awesome!

Just for the sake of answering your question (that might be useful later), you have to mount the system partition before you can access it. Then you will see what is inside that partition. It is litterally impossible that you don't have a system/app folder, all prebuilt apps go there (and in system/priv-app).

acat550

Nov 28, 2012
I appreciate the quick answer! I think I will just go with the new build though lol! Been looking for a ROM that is stripped down and optimized to the fence! I have been running truesight as well so the duo is perfect!

star_throne

Jul 3, 2014
Once a week is more than enough! I'll move to this rom when i have time. One thing you could do is aroma installer, thats a whole new thing to learn but if you feel like bored or want to try something new, it would be very useful. One thing i can think of now is adding and removing apps. You could use something like Cataclysm as reference

EDIT: Do you have the TrueSight UKM thing included? Thats one more thing to add if not.
One more question, lol. Does the adb work? The cm 13 build that i currently have crashes when i turn adb on. Not sure if TrueSight causes this or what. If you havent tried it, be aware that if it does crash for you too, you probably cant turn it off anymore. That happened to me, the phone was very slow when it was in lockscreen after boot and when i tried to unlock it, it just rebooted. So take backup if you think you want to try it :p

Last edited:

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Once a week is more than enough! I'll move to this rom when i have time. One thing you could do is aroma installer, thats a whole new thing to learn but if you feel like bored or want to try something new, it would be very useful. One thing i can think of now is adding and removing apps. You could use something like Cataclysm as reference

EDIT: Do you have the TrueSight UKM thing included? Thats one more thing to add if not.
One more question, lol. Does the adb work? The cm 13 build that i currently have crashes when i turn adb on. Not sure if TrueSight causes this or what. If you havent tried it, be aware that if it does crash for you too, you probably cant turn it off anymore. That happened to me, the phone was very slow when it was in lockscreen after boot and when i tried to unlock it, it just rebooted. So take backup if you think you want to try it :p

Nope UKM is not installed. At first I had Synapse prebuilt and UKM preinstalled (before releasing), but I had too many problems with it. It never applied my settings on reboot, plus half the time it crashed when restoring my profile. Too much trouble, and I don't use the extra settings that are not available in kernel adiutor. So, if you want it you will have to install both the app and UKM.

I just enabled adb without any problems. It also works when connected to the computer.

Reactions: V4LT5U

star_throne

Jul 3, 2014
Nope UKM is not installed. At first I had Synapse prebuilt and UKM preinstalled (before releasing), but I had too many problems with it. It never applied my settings on reboot, plus half the time it crashed when restoring my profile. Too much trouble, and I don't use the extra settings that are not available in kernel adiutor. So, if you want it you will have to install both the app and UKM.

I just enabled adb without any problems. It also works when connected to the computer.

Thanks for all the answers and hard work! :good:

acat550

Nov 28, 2012
It seems with the new build, that notification pulldown is broken. I have tried both open gapps and slim gapps, both to no avail. Any others with this problem?

Junnie

Jul 4, 2011
Jakarta Capital Region
HELP

Help Devs !! Why I can't dropdown the statusbar ?? Even I can't see quicksettings at all...this is bug ?

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

It seems with the new build, that notification pulldown is broken. I have tried both open gapps and slim gapps, both to no avail. Any others with this problem?

Same problem with me !!! Any solution ?? :((

Dark_Eyes_

Sep 19, 2013
Help Devs !! Why I can't dropdown the statusbar ?? Even I can't see quicksettings at all...this is bug ?

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Same problem with me !!! Any solution ?? :((

That's most likely the cm and opengapps bug. Use an old gapps package for now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

I've been building an extra lean CM13 ROM for hammerheadcaf with a few added features. A lot of CM packages have been stripped down, only the bare minimum is built to provide a fast and stable ROM. That gives you much more freedom as you can install exactly what you really want from the Playstore. You can install most of the missing packages manually, they are available in a flashable zip on the server (see second post).

Key features
    ROM comes with TrueSight v3.0 builtin (with a few of my own tweaks)
    Up to date MOB30Y vendor from Myfluxi's and Kylon's repo

Option to choose between dialer and voice assist in lockscreen
    Option to hide next alarm from expanded status bar and lockscreen
    Clock font and size customizable
    Hide bluetooth icon when disconnected
    Disable immersive messages
    HeadsUp timeout and blacklist/whitelist
    Longpress power button while screen off to trigger flashlight
    Battery saver options
    Keyboard options
    SSID in status bar
    Network traffic in status bar
    Volume steps
    Navigation bar size
    Seconds in status bar
    SuperSU builtin
    AdAway and Xposed builtin (in developer options)
    Synapse builtin
    OpenDelta builtin for delta updates
    ViPER4Android builtin (and working in Enforcing)

Optimizations
    Every effort has been made to optimize the ROM the most :

ROM built with SABERMOD GCC 5.4 and DRAGONTC 4.0 (O3, Graphite, Strict aliasing, Polly, OpenMP, Pthread, LTO/ThinLTO, Krait tunings and lots of extra optimization flags)
    KERNEL built with SABERMOD GCC 7.0 (O3, Graphite, OpenMP and lots of extra optimization flags)
    Java built with OpenJDK 8
    Removed some useless debugging

Installation
    You will need latest radio (2.0.50.2.29) and latest bootloader (HHZ20h)
    Latest TWRP recovery 3.0.2-0 for hammerheadcaf is highly recommended (and mandatory for delta updates)

If coming from any other ROM
    Backup first... always backup first
    Wipe system, data, cache and dalvik cache
    Install ROM
    Install GAPPS (opengapps are recommended)
    Enjoy !

If coming from a previous build of mine
    Backup (you know it)
    Dirty flash
    Enjoy! (if anything goes wrong, clean flash)

Xposed app is preinstalled and available in the developer options menu. BUT, you will have to install the Xposed framework in recovery if you want it. Afterward, it will survive dirty flashes, so you only need to flash it once. Please, be smart and only install required Xposed packages. Installing too many packages can cause weird behavior and I won't be responsible for it.

Download
    To download the whole ROM
    AndroidFileHost

To download delta updates
    Go to Settings/About phone/System updates and use the OpenDelta app to automatically download delta updates.

Delta Updates
    (Information to be confirmed later)
    Here are a few explanations on how to use delta updates. First, you will need to keep the first full build you downloaded on your sdcard (any full build that have NIGHTLY in the filename will do). I recommend that you keep it on the root of your sdcard until you flash a new build with the OpenDelta app. After that, the OpenDelta app will automatically place a new flashable zip inside the OpenDelta folder that will be used for the next delta updates. At that point you can delete the build on the root of your sdcard, but you will need to keep the (latest) file in the OpenDelta folder at all times to keep the delta updates working.

You will also notice a folder named FlashAfterUpdate in the OpenDelta folder. As its name suggests, any flashable zip files that you put in this folder will be flashed automatically after the update. I recommend that you put all your extra flashable zips there, cause if you use the app to auto-flash the latest build, it will reboot automatically after updating, which means you won't have the opportunity to manually flash other zips.

Support
    Please consider a donation if you like my work !!!

I hope you enjoy it !!!

Thanks and credit
    CyanogenMod
    @myfluxi
    @lol4topnz
    @kylon
    @xanaxdroid
    @frap129
    @DVDandroid
    @theapuv
    All the good devs who contributed to the features I added
    Just a little status update on what is going on at the moment with me and dark rom. I've stopped development of dark rom and focused my time and efforts on building a nougat aosp build for our device. I'm working once again with Team Bliss, so you might want to give it a try once it's ready. Depending on my time available, I might also update dark rom to cm14, but for now my plate is full with the N bringup.

Hope you guys enjoyed my ROM, and keep on eye out for my future work. Thanks!
    New build is up !

Guys,

I was lucky and got it to boot on my first try ;) I just made a few changes to some makefiles and Voila! While at it I updated mostly everything, look at the second post for a full changelog (and I might have forgotten a few things).

Hope you enjoy it !!!
    Good news guys, I'm syncing CM14.1 as I write. I see that myfluxi has a branch for cm14-caf, so I'll try to build with it and see what is working and what is broken. I'll keep you guys posted, but it still could be a little while before I'm ready to push something here, though development is started!

Stay tuned :)
    New build up !

Guys,

I just pushed a brand new build. It has the security patch for ashmem, plus I added the option to change the number of columns in quick settings. I won't be adding the quick unlock option as I don't want to mess around with the security of your device. That kind of hack can create holes to bypass the secure lockscreen altogether, so I'm not gonna add that.

Oh, I also got bored of Synapse crashing all the time, so I switched to Kernel Adiutor Mod. It has most of the options, plus it's much more stable and actively developed.

That's about it for today, go grab it on Android File Host. I left the older builds on basketbuilds, but from now on I'll push my newest builds to AFH.

I hope you enjoy it !