[ROM][CM14.1][UNOFFICIAL] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE SM-T285

Search This thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** This project is now abandoned in favor of the LineageOS variant ***

This is a port of Cyanogenmod 14.1 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016) LTE SM-T285. Cyanogenmod needs no introduction, it is one of the most popular aftermarket ROM distributions around.

5.1.1 is the best that you can get from samsung right now and it is not known if they plan to do any upgrades. I have absolutely no idea why samsung chose to stay with the outdated 5.1.1 mid 2016 when we already got 7.1 coming out. This custom rom is probably the best you can get if you want an upgrade from Lollipop. Performance on the latest build is also better, you be the judge.

As this is the first CM-14.1 release, I don't recommend you use this as a daily driver, but it should be good enough for some. Make sure you read the pending issues below and decide if this is acceptable to you before you flash this rom. This rom probably won't get much use out of some people until bluetooth is fixed.

Based off on Cyanogenmod 14.1 sources which is based on Nougat 7.1.

Device Tree:
    =========
    https://github.com/jedld/device_samsung_gtexslte.git
    https://github.com/jedld/vendor_samsung_gtexslte.git
    https://github.com/jedld/kernel_samsung_gtexslte.git

Update Dec 3, 2016
    ===============

Fixed GPS, Wifi Hotspot, Graphics issues, Calls, Camera,sdcard is now marked as adoptable.

Works:

- Wifi/SMS
    - Audio
    - Graphics with glitches (minor screen tearing, blank screen showing up on overlays)
    - GPS
    - Wifi Hotspot
    - Incoming/Outgoing Calls
    - MTP

Does not work:

- Bluetooth
    - Camera
    - LTE (Due to APN issues)
    - Battery Meter not updating

Bugs/Known Issues

* Problems recording video

Other Notes:

- selinux permissive

Most of the issues are fixable, I just need more time and encouragement :D

SM-T280 Users: Unfortunately this rom would probably not work on it since the SM-T285 and SM-T280 have different kernels and slightly different hardware. I don't have access to this device so it would be hard for me to port it over. However I believe there are a lot of similiarities in the device tree that can be shared. If a dev with the SM-T280 is interested I can probably help.

Download
    ========

Remember flashing an unofficial ROM on your samsung device will probably void your warranty, Samsung representatives will probably not be able to help you as they are still stuck at 5.1.1 land as of now and have no idea how to handle a SM-T285 that is running 7.1.

As always flash this at your own risk. Make sure you have a copy of the stock ROM so that you have something to fall back to, which is highly the case when using an experimental rom.

See DevDB download section.

BUILD12032016

Note that this rom is pure stock and does not come with the Play Store or any Gapps, I suggest you download a micro gapps package separately and install it via recovery.

There have been reports that recent versions of open gapps don't work properly, it is advised to use older versions instead (e.g. open_gapps-arm-6.0-nano-20161109.zip)

Installation Instructions
    ==================

Perform a backup of all of your important files. This ROM is experimental and I will not be responsible for your loss of data.

Download the zip file and extract the tar.

Use Odin/Heimdall to flash the tar file to your device. If you are coming from stock oranother rom make sure you wipe first using TWRP. Coming from a previous version of OMNIRom for SM-T285 may not require a wipe, however please perform a wipe if you encounter problems.

Root and customization
    ===================

This ROM is a purely based on source and is not rooted out of the box. However you can easily root it by using TWRP to install the latest version of SuperSU.

If you want to customize this ROM and repackage it you may use this guide as a reference.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM-14.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE (SM-T285), ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Contributors
    jedld
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2016-12-03
    Last Updated 2017-01-31
    I can't get Soft Keys to work, worked fine on the Omni ROM, only problem I have come across so far.

needs some xml changes that needs to be compiled into the framework for that I believe. Though there are more critical bugs I need to fix with this 7.1 rom.
    the worst problem w/ the cm 14.1 is no mobile data...but to each his/her own (unless one has a T280/just cares about wifi)

don't the gapps get updated anyway through playstore even if you start off with an older version?

Yeah it should. I haven't looked into why gapps is behaving that way. It also happens with my other CM devices like the Nexus 5. As for mobile data, I'll wait for lineage to be available before I get back to working on a Nougat build.
    thank for your awesome work, but i cant download any app from Playstore, it's downloading for a long time, i tried many way to force it works but nothing change. Have any one meet this trouble?

Try using an older gapps package like from october, recent versions seem to have issues.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone