[ROM]Cognition v2.3b8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

CuriousTech

Nov 16, 2010
Floor
I did the restore to stock, master clear, then rooted, clockworkmod, and flashed the new rom. Once the rom is flashed it starts doing it vibrating thing on the boot up. I don't think i resorted any system data...as ive used this process loading many roms.

I hate FCs on startup. It doesn't tell you who done it. Restoring LauncherPro with data was what caused it for me. I deleted data, restarted and still had some for a few hours then it cleared up, but the first restart was good showing that was it. Either that or look for a service that's not running and should be or uninstall anything (3rd party) that does start on boot. If that doesn't work... reflash yet again.

sqweeto

Jul 21, 2010
Are You Joking?

I used to like this ROM but never realized how much it killed my battery.

Out of all the current ROM's this is the only one that gives me a full day's worth of battery. I've been using Cognition from the start and recently strayed because it hasn't been updated for a little while. But I still come back to COGS because it is the most polished and most energy efficient ROM. Designgears is the friggen champ.

Reactions: LMSarmiento

charmartist

Jan 30, 2008
I really must of had bad luck then because cognition always drained my battery. I would always have to keep a charger next to me or limit my usage.

It couldn't have been an app either cause I backed up and restored all the apps I was using on Cognition onto the new rom. I may try it again in the future.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

Reactions: bemilm

cy-rock

Hi guys,

Got my phone 2 days ago its now running this ROm through CLockworkRecovery.

4 Questions:

- Is that possible to have access to the ADW launcher settings?
- SMS send and receive properly but i dont receive them in the right order (wrong time) like the time zone is wrong !!! (5 hours diff, i live on the east coast of canada)
- Couldnt find any release notes for Cognition v2.3b8
- MMS i saw that there san error into the APN. MMSC is set to : http://mms.grps.rogers.com but its supposed to be: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
Unfortunetly im not able to edit that ...may i have osme help pls?

I already got that on an old phone it was in the registry ..anyone?

thx, and good work for this ROM im trying it out to evaluate the battery tho.

Last edited:

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
hey DG,

any thoughts on adding cifs.ko support to this rom???

edit... and is this really the only froyo rom not based on i9000???

Last edited:

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
hey DG,

any thoughts on adding cifs.ko support to this rom???

edit... and is this really the only froyo rom not based on i9000???

There are some that are vibrant based or hybrids of vibrant and captivate. Also telus t959d roms. Also roms built off of an older 2.2 captivate beta. One being aosp-ish and was orrigonally a project started by dg with input from many. It has spun off into cronus and spaceman. And a rogers stock rom that is reportedly sluggish and gets a quadrant score about that of eclair :bleh: that may only be one persons experience though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
don't get me wrong...I really like this rom....I have been using it for weeks and I am very happy with it. I don't like to OC my phones (or computers for that matter) and I prefer to stay with roms that are actually made for the device not ported to it from another rom.

it just seems that there is very little love in the captivate development fourms for actuall captivate based roms.

really the only thing I find missing in this rom is cifs support and the better gps that all the other roms seem to be getting lately (although I havent tested them yet)

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
don't get me wrong...I really like this rom....I have been using it for weeks and I am very happy with it. I don't like to OC my phones (or computers for that matter) and I prefer to stay with roms that are actually made for the device not ported to it from another rom.

it just seems that there is very little love in the captivate development fourms for actuall captivate based roms.

really the only thing I find missing in this rom is cifs support and the better gps that all the other roms seem to be getting lately (although I havent tested them yet)

I will see about having a second kernel option with cifs, its just a resource hog. As far as GPS, the next release should rock. It locked in a snow storm in about 5 seconds...

mnjm9b

Apr 26, 2008
I will see about having a second kernel option with cifs, its just a resource hog. As far as GPS, the next release should rock. It locked in a snow storm in about 5 seconds...

good to hear.... I thought I read that there wasn't going to be a new release.

not to get too off topic but ...

I have a bit of android experience including building custom kernels.
I have just recently (past month or so) moved to the captivate.

I was just wondering where the sources are???
sorry if I missed it but I am failing to find any repos.

If I had the source I would just make a cifs version myself instead of troubling you for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1sdvdx.png

Cognition Rom FAQ's
    Check it out here!

Come chat with us!

Get Cognition Here

If you like this, buy me a beer!!

Cognition Captivate ROMs - Tips & Tricks

Lets get started !!!!

The items in this post are not my work, I am just collecting them and posting here. They are also dangerous and may brick your phone. Please use at your own risk. No warrenties
    Please donate to appropriate talented individuals who do this wonderful work

Installation

Install Using Clockwork Recovery
    Caution: If you are running Cognition 6.X or below you must install using ODIN.

• If you are not already rooted, root with the tools here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739304
    • Go to the xda thread located here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=786532. Download the latest version of the ROM. Move it to your internal SD card on your phone. DO NOT RENAME THE FILE.
    • Download ROM Manager (available in the market, more info here) and choose "Flash Clockwork Mod" which will put an update.zip (holding clockwork recovery) on the root of your internal SD card.
    • Open Rom Manager, choose "Install ROM from SD Card", navigate to your Cognition2.x.zip, and check “Wipe Data”. Watch the magic happen!
    • Note: if this is your first time installing clockwork, it may fail at stock recovery and reboot. Simply choose "reinstall packages" once more, and it should work properly.

Install Using ODIN
    Caution: Use this method only for ODIN FLASHABLE DOWNLOAD! Download link will say “Download Cognition v2.2 BETA X.X.X ODIN”. This .zip contains everything you need to flash a ROM using ODIN. It includes:
    • Odin.exe
    • PIT.pit
    • PDA.tar
    • PHONE.tar
    • CSC.tar
    1. Put your phone into Download Mode (See below for Instructions)
    2. Set-up ODIN with the appropriate files and click Start. (One-click versions just click Start). Note: Not all files listed above will be included.
    3. Watch the magic.

How TO's

HOW TO: Put your phone in Download Mode
    • Make sure you phone is powered off, unplugged and charged. Remove SIM, External SD and Battery
    • Right Click ODIN Exe and click “Run as administrator”
    • Click Vol Up/Vol Down at the same time and insert USB into phone (other end must be plugged into the PC).
    • Note: This is extremely important: your phone screen should display a large yellow triangular icon with a shovel wielding droid in it. The text "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!!" appears below the icon. If you do not see this screen, you are likely in Recovery Mode.

HOW TO: Flash To JF6 Stock

Where are archived ROMS?

Lock Screen Mods, Battery Indicators

HOW TO: Reconfigure Battery Stats
    When you flash a new ROM it may be necessary to reconfigure your battery stats.
    Signs you may need to re configure:
    1. . Using more then 10% battery in an hour or less
    2. . While plugged into the charger you lock screen shows a different percentage charge then the battery icon
    3. . After a full charge your battery icon only shows 99% and quickly drains.
    4. . Any general weird battery activity
    Step by step battery reconfigure process: (This is the process that has worked for me time and time again with ROM after ROM)
    1. . Flash the Rom on a full battery. (skip to step 6)
    2. . If you flashed on less then full plug into AC charger asap and charge to full while the phone is powered on
    3. . Once the phone blinks full 2.1-battfull popup shows 2.2-battery sign shows on left of notification bar power off
    4. . Charge till full while powered off. the phone will vibrate and the green battery will show 100% in white text
    5. . Unplug phone and power on.
    6. . Using Root Explorer or a comparable program navigate to (Mount R/W first): data>system> and delete file batterystats.bin
    7. . Reboot
    8. . While the phone reboots it will rebuild that file and the software and phone should now match.
    9. . If any of the symptoms persist start at step 2 and repeat.
    10. . As with any rechargeable battery fully discharging the battery once in a while isn't a bad idea

HOW TO: BATTERY Calibrate
    1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%
    2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.
    3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).
    4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.
    5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.
    6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.
    You should only need to use this sequence one time.

HOW TO: Enable/disable Voodoo
    • To Disable: Create a folder in /sdcard/Voodoo named "disable-lagfix" (without the quotes; capitalization is important). To Enable just remove this folder
    • Now reboot the phone.

Tips & Tricks/Missing Apps/Walpapers & Other Stuff

(11/16/2010) Con 2.3bv4: HOW TO: Install Missing Wallpapers & Keyboard
    Live Wallpapers & SOme keyboards were removed from this ROM. Here is how to get them. Credit pinoymutt
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=9095

(11/17/2010) Android Keyboard
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8431641&postcount=2

(11/18/2010)MMS Fix
    Credit: mmoorman12
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8830645&postcount=4081

(11/18/2010)Some Google goodies for Froyo (Desk Clock, Genie Widget, Car Home, Music)
    Might or not be compatible with all ROMS - Please try at your own risk
    Credit: frauhottelmann http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=817092

(11/18/2010)androidIMATIONS | Custom Boot Animations for Android
    Might or not be compatible with all ROMS - Please try at your own risk
    Credit: cmbrougham http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=822955

(11/22/2010) 2.3b6 if you cannot get signal after flashing flash jj4 modem
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835272&highlight=modem

Credits:
    Cognition Wiki
    Many Many posts in XDA Captivate section
    Completely revised, rebased Cognition is in the works ;)
    There is no JJ4 modem in the Supercurio update package.
    You're right! Thanks.

OK, to make it easy for people, I've combined the kernel and modem into one package:
    stock Captivate Froyo kernel + Voodoo5 + Captivate JJ4 modem

It's unsigned, so flash in CWM (red or green recovery) only, not stock (blue).

This should take out all the overclocked and i9000 parts of a currently-installed Cog 2.3b7. So no sleep death, bluetooth static, etc.

If you haven't installed 2.3b7 yet, look at full ROM + Cap kernel + Cap modem repackage above to do it all in one go.