[ROM]Cognition v2.3b8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

wjcaptivate

Nov 3, 2010
Hello everyone. This is my first android phone and the first time doing any of this. So far I've only used the one click ODIN for the first leak froyo and then the one click ODIN for Cog 2.2 B9.1.3. Was wondering if I lost my android id in the process? Reading the change log there was no mention of same android id. Can someone confirm if I need to get back to stock to get the id? Thanks everyone.

Duckman_UF

Oct 9, 2010
Gainesville
Thanks DG!

Everything running smooth on 2.3b3

I have seen none of problems that are being described in prior pages. As a matter of fact Ive been using COG/s for a couple of months now and have yet to have an issue.

FWIW people, I always use the CWR method.

Tweak4fun

Oct 30, 2010
Olathe, Kansas
Something in the Music Player or the audio subsystem has changed with JJ4. The music player's equalizer doesn't work and none of the enhancements work. :( Also, browsing and general inertial scrolling seems more jittery than 2.2. But I have to say that aside from those two minor issues... it seems overall more snappy. The continual updates and your general attention to detail is great... You've definitely helped me, so ima donate something :)

DG FTW!!

I tried Music Player and everything works. No jittery scrolling either.

Dr. Bogger

Nov 4, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Okay, I have a couple of question... Nothing important, but just for the sake of my curiosity.

1. I have been reading some info here & there regarding the Android ID...
What is this used for? When/Why would i need to change the id using the app?

2. I was reading that when Voodoo is first enabled, i would hear a voice at the first boot... I have disabled it / enabled it a few times so far, and i have not yet heard any voice... But the boot does lag at the AT&T screen, which tells me it seems to be converting properly... Is there anyway i can tell for sure if voodoo is enabled? Is there a way i can check if the filesystem is ext4?

3. What is the differences between flashing using Odin V.S. Rom Manager (CWR) V.S. the new Heimdall?
Which one is safer? Faster? More Stable? Etc.?

I am currently running 2.3b3 with no problems as of yet!
Thank you DG! For your great work!

larmor19

Oct 14, 2010
Flashed .. all seems smooth so far. The only thing I see is battery battery battery. Justs seems to be draining very fast.:cool:

krypticos

May 5, 2010
Morgantown
im currently running 2.2beta 6 im planning on updating with cwm and i want to know if i still need to disable lagfix or not. thanks for your help in advance.

tbong777

im currently running 2.2beta 6 im planning on updating with cwm and i want to know if i still need to disable lagfix or not. thanks for your help in advance.

ALWAYS disable Lag-Fix remove your SIM and SD card.... hows that? LOL

Many don't and don't have issues. We are flashing ROMs The most problematic thing one can do on any computing device and something that can go awry very quickly with not much reason....Why give it any?

ONLY If the DEVELOPER; DG says you don't have to do any of these things you might be safe....But I would still take the precautions that many have been taking since page one. It doesn't hurt anything to do so and may save some grief of wiping out the SIM (which happened to me) or the ext SD card which many have complained of.

For those who don't do this...I will bet they have been around long enough to know how to bring back a seemingly bricked phone to life. I learned early before flashing a single ROM how to use adb to get into Recovery or Download modes and have need that because I had two devices that could not do it on their own and I did not want to send them back.

This is a long thread and late comers have a lot to read but it is well worth it.....One of the mistakes made was not reading enough and getting sidetracked in the middle of a thread and doing something wrong before i read the "correction" Cost me a SIM card.

Now I cannot wait for the next ROMS and I never had an issue with them. Only with the peripheral Cards.

and do send DG some beer money...this cannot be easy to keep up with.

Dr. Bogger

Nov 4, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Okay, I just started using Cognition only a couple of days ago, and even i'm already getting tired of all the "do i have to disable lagfix" questions...

The short answer to this is "Yes! You Do!"

So unless you wanna risk the chance of messing up your phone, then disable it! its really super easy to disable! Just create a empty folder and reboot!

Save yourself a headache and disable it!

tbong777

Hello everyone. This is my first android phone and the first time doing any of this. So far I've only used the one click ODIN for the first leak froyo and then the one click ODIN for Cog 2.2 B9.1.3. Was wondering if I lost my android id in the process? Reading the change log there was no mention of same android id. Can someone confirm if I need to get back to stock to get the id? Thanks everyone.

From what I read yes you do....but you can download Android ID changer and create a new one. I know the procedure for extracting the original ID is in this thread somewhere. If I ever get back to stock I will try to get mine. but I have not had any issues creating a new one.

Skijackz

Jun 26, 2006
Colorado
Upgraded from 2.3b2 to 2.3b3 using ODIN and had a ton of FCs. Reverted back to JI6 and then upgrade using ODIN again 2.3b3 having formatted everything on the both SD cards. My home button wouldn't work. Flashed again the cycle again. Same problem. I'm going back to 2.3b2 though the battery life on that was just okay. Nothing like 2.2b7.

The speed on 2.3b2 is phenomenal.

brunson

Aug 16, 2010
From what I read yes you do....but you can download Android ID changer and create a new one. I know the procedure for extracting the original ID is in this thread somewhere. If I ever get back to stock I will try to get mine. but I have not had any issues creating a new one.

The simplest way if you already have a CWR backup, adb and busybox grep:
Code:
adb shell /system/xbin/grep android_id /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-11-01.19.59.56/datadata.img

Otherwise start reading around here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9034050#post9034050

Edit: Fix link

Last edited:

tbong777

SO far 2.2b3 is indeed better than previous versions
However
Battery life is the same or better
GPS takes a while to initially lock as usual.. (seems to get better over time)
There is still very little lag here and there but still fast. (When SD scanner is running)

Loaded a few days ago from ROM Manager and CW over 2.2b2 installed APPs from TiBu with app data. No issues.

mobius911

Feb 17, 2009
Upgraded from 2.3b2 to 2.3b3 using ODIN and had a ton of FCs. Reverted back to JI6 and then upgrade using ODIN again 2.3b3 having formatted everything on the both SD cards. My home button wouldn't work. Flashed again the cycle again. Same problem. I'm going back to 2.3b2 though the battery life on that was just okay. Nothing like 2.2b7.

The speed on 2.3b2 is phenomenal.

Had the force closathon coming from beta6 after flashing in cwm. Reflashed in cwm, also doing a clear data and clear cache while in the recovery menu. Now totally stable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

tbong777

The simplest way if you already have adb and busybox grep:
Code:
adb shell /system/xbin/grep android_id /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-11-01.19.59.56/datadata.img

Otherwise start reading around here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=786532

LOL ...beautiful link....

Correct me if I am wrong I we already burned a ROM or changed the ID that will opnly reveal Cogs or our own ID.

So you have to be in stock mode.....But if someone never made a stock back up their original ID is lost forever?

used2hvatreo

Jun 26, 2008
Houston
Flash the latest cog last night, and have determined the following. my battery life == crap and my bluetooth wont connect, but the rom is sweet and im sure there is battery conditioning stuff i should do before blaming DG and the rom for all my probs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

brunson

Aug 16, 2010
LOL ...beautiful link....

Correct me if I am wrong I we already burned a ROM or changed the ID that will opnly reveal Cogs or our own ID.

So you have to be in stock mode.....But if someone never made a stock back up their original ID is lost forever?

I haven't been able to find anything that says it is stored on the phone hardware somewhere, so as far as I know settings.db is the only place it's found. I'd like to proven wrong, but until then you need a backup of your old ROM.

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010

Did you do a backup of your stock through clockwork

Captivate
Cog 2.2

butchatbg

Oct 2, 2010
Hey everyone I need some help. After flashing to V2.3b3, I forgot to get my original Device ID. So, I try to get my phone back to stock 2.1 with the Odin One-Click, but I keep getting stuck at "Get PIT for mapping..."

I had it like that for about 3 hours (I dozed off).

I don't get anything off my phone and I don't have any issues getting into download mode. All I keep getting with this One-click and even the One-click for the froyo leak is "Get PIT for mapping..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1sdvdx.png

Cognition Rom FAQ's
    Check it out here!

Come chat with us!

Get Cognition Here

If you like this, buy me a beer!!

Cognition Captivate ROMs - Tips & Tricks

Lets get started !!!!

The items in this post are not my work, I am just collecting them and posting here. They are also dangerous and may brick your phone. Please use at your own risk. No warrenties
    Please donate to appropriate talented individuals who do this wonderful work

Installation

Install Using Clockwork Recovery
    Caution: If you are running Cognition 6.X or below you must install using ODIN.

• If you are not already rooted, root with the tools here. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=739304
    • Go to the xda thread located here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=786532. Download the latest version of the ROM. Move it to your internal SD card on your phone. DO NOT RENAME THE FILE.
    • Download ROM Manager (available in the market, more info here) and choose "Flash Clockwork Mod" which will put an update.zip (holding clockwork recovery) on the root of your internal SD card.
    • Open Rom Manager, choose "Install ROM from SD Card", navigate to your Cognition2.x.zip, and check “Wipe Data”. Watch the magic happen!
    • Note: if this is your first time installing clockwork, it may fail at stock recovery and reboot. Simply choose "reinstall packages" once more, and it should work properly.

Install Using ODIN
    Caution: Use this method only for ODIN FLASHABLE DOWNLOAD! Download link will say “Download Cognition v2.2 BETA X.X.X ODIN”. This .zip contains everything you need to flash a ROM using ODIN. It includes:
    • Odin.exe
    • PIT.pit
    • PDA.tar
    • PHONE.tar
    • CSC.tar
    1. Put your phone into Download Mode (See below for Instructions)
    2. Set-up ODIN with the appropriate files and click Start. (One-click versions just click Start). Note: Not all files listed above will be included.
    3. Watch the magic.

How TO's

HOW TO: Put your phone in Download Mode
    • Make sure you phone is powered off, unplugged and charged. Remove SIM, External SD and Battery
    • Right Click ODIN Exe and click “Run as administrator”
    • Click Vol Up/Vol Down at the same time and insert USB into phone (other end must be plugged into the PC).
    • Note: This is extremely important: your phone screen should display a large yellow triangular icon with a shovel wielding droid in it. The text "Downloading... Do not turn off Target!!!!" appears below the icon. If you do not see this screen, you are likely in Recovery Mode.

HOW TO: Flash To JF6 Stock

Where are archived ROMS?

Lock Screen Mods, Battery Indicators

HOW TO: Reconfigure Battery Stats
    When you flash a new ROM it may be necessary to reconfigure your battery stats.
    Signs you may need to re configure:
    1. . Using more then 10% battery in an hour or less
    2. . While plugged into the charger you lock screen shows a different percentage charge then the battery icon
    3. . After a full charge your battery icon only shows 99% and quickly drains.
    4. . Any general weird battery activity
    Step by step battery reconfigure process: (This is the process that has worked for me time and time again with ROM after ROM)
    1. . Flash the Rom on a full battery. (skip to step 6)
    2. . If you flashed on less then full plug into AC charger asap and charge to full while the phone is powered on
    3. . Once the phone blinks full 2.1-battfull popup shows 2.2-battery sign shows on left of notification bar power off
    4. . Charge till full while powered off. the phone will vibrate and the green battery will show 100% in white text
    5. . Unplug phone and power on.
    6. . Using Root Explorer or a comparable program navigate to (Mount R/W first): data>system> and delete file batterystats.bin
    7. . Reboot
    8. . While the phone reboots it will rebuild that file and the software and phone should now match.
    9. . If any of the symptoms persist start at step 2 and repeat.
    10. . As with any rechargeable battery fully discharging the battery once in a while isn't a bad idea

HOW TO: BATTERY Calibrate
    1. Connect the phone to the charger with the phone powered on, and allow the phone to charge until it shows 100%
    2. Disconnect the phone from the charger, and power it off.
    3. Reconnect the phone to the charger with the phone powered off, and allow the phone to charge until the battery indicator shows 100% (you can use vol-up/vol-down to make the indicator come back up when the screen goes to sleep).
    4. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it on.
    5. Once the phone is powered completely on, power it off again and reconnect it to the charger until the battery indicator shows 100%.
    6. Disconnect the phone, power it on, and use it.
    You should only need to use this sequence one time.

HOW TO: Enable/disable Voodoo
    • To Disable: Create a folder in /sdcard/Voodoo named "disable-lagfix" (without the quotes; capitalization is important). To Enable just remove this folder
    • Now reboot the phone.

Tips & Tricks/Missing Apps/Walpapers & Other Stuff

(11/16/2010) Con 2.3bv4: HOW TO: Install Missing Wallpapers & Keyboard
    Live Wallpapers & SOme keyboards were removed from this ROM. Here is how to get them. Credit pinoymutt
    http://xdaforums.com/show...postcount=9095

(11/17/2010) Android Keyboard
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8431641&postcount=2

(11/18/2010)MMS Fix
    Credit: mmoorman12
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8830645&postcount=4081

(11/18/2010)Some Google goodies for Froyo (Desk Clock, Genie Widget, Car Home, Music)
    Might or not be compatible with all ROMS - Please try at your own risk
    Credit: frauhottelmann http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=817092

(11/18/2010)androidIMATIONS | Custom Boot Animations for Android
    Might or not be compatible with all ROMS - Please try at your own risk
    Credit: cmbrougham http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=822955

(11/22/2010) 2.3b6 if you cannot get signal after flashing flash jj4 modem
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835272&highlight=modem

Credits:
    Cognition Wiki
    Many Many posts in XDA Captivate section
    Completely revised, rebased Cognition is in the works ;)
    There is no JJ4 modem in the Supercurio update package.
    You're right! Thanks.

OK, to make it easy for people, I've combined the kernel and modem into one package:
    stock Captivate Froyo kernel + Voodoo5 + Captivate JJ4 modem

It's unsigned, so flash in CWM (red or green recovery) only, not stock (blue).

This should take out all the overclocked and i9000 parts of a currently-installed Cog 2.3b7. So no sleep death, bluetooth static, etc.

If you haven't installed 2.3b7 yet, look at full ROM + Cap kernel + Cap modem repackage above to do it all in one go.