• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] CortexROM v15.10 [Oct 15, 2017] ► 8.0.0-OPR5-007 ★

Search This thread

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
There is multiple posts on how to fix the no sim error. Flashing stock 8.0, formating user data, turning off encryption, turning off pin lock before flashing. I believe wiping and flashing stock Android 8 first is the best solution.
I believe he said he flashed the stock image before flashing Cortex. I wasn't aware the sim not being recognized was an ongoing issue with Cortex. I was under the impression it had been fixed. I didn't have to do any of those things but maybe it is a problem with some SIMs but not others.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure there is an issue with my TMO nexus 6p and the OCT 15th version of this ROM. Did a full wipe to Stock October Security Release (proper bootloader, vendor, and radio), flashed twrp, and then ran the install zip. I did this twice and each time, android does not detect a sim card. However, on stock bootup, the sim card is just fine (which is needed to restore backup from cloud since i have two factor authentication enabled).
One more thing--to be safe I would verify that you are running the specific bootloader and radio builds mentioned in the OP--especially the bootloader.

falseman

Jan 19, 2011
Rotterdam
I'm changing roms. and this one looks the most basic 8.0.0 for me.
This is also my first time in this thread.

I couldnt really find anything quick.
but let me ask in here:
- are there problems that users often encounter?
- any not (yet) fixed bugs?
- do i miss anything in comparison to the stock 8.0.0?
- anything i should be aware of?
- how do i check the version of my radio and bootloader?
- where do i find the updated files for my radio and bootloader?
- any prefered kernels with this rom?
- any prefered mods with this rom?
- what is your opinion about this rom and why?

i guess a lot of you would ignore this. but it would be amazing if some of you can help me out with my questions. It could be that its posted somewhere in the thread but i couldnt find anything usefull and there are also some personal questions for the community.
i also couldnt find any FAQ's... :(

Thank you!

Reactions: Sheetzie03

Sheetzie03

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

but let me ask in here:

i guess a lot of you would ignore this. but it would be amazing if some of you can help me out with my questions. It could be that its posted somewhere in the thread but i couldnt find anything usefull and there are also some personal questions for the community.

Thank you!
Just do a back up and try it will ya, and get the answers yourself, first hand, instead of waiting around for others to reply. The time you took to write up this big post, you could have ALREADY backed up and DL, flashed it and found out some of the things you were wondering..
Will tell u one thing, this has NOT been updated(for at least a few months I think)

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago

but let me ask in here:

Thank you!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0joouy2apwbzj2b/BL377+Radio384.zip

You can get a flashable zip of the latest versions of the bootloader and radio from the above link which came from a different thread on XDA. You just flash the zip in recovery and you should be good to go.

I like the ElementalEx Kernel with this ROM because there are more options for tweaking than on the stock kernel--more governors and a lot of built in interactive governor profiles to play with.

I haven't encountered any significant bugs or instability on this ROM. Occasionally I would need to reboot if there seemed to be a weird hang or something but that's about it.

Substratum is not currently compatible with this ROM.

You will get better battery life, performance and a safer running temperature with this ROM over stock Oreo, especially if you use a custom kernel like ElementalEx, switch to interactive governor and find a profile you like. Google stock tends to run the 6P at temperatures that suggest they are trying to burn out these phones. To be fair they do the same thing with the Pixel and Pixel XL and are burning out those phones in great numbers as well--but you aren't likely to read anything about that on XDA which has never provided accurate information about the hardware issues on the Pixel phones.

I would definitely recommend this ROM. I was running the final official Nougat build of Dirty Unicorns which is a very good ROM but flashing Cortex Oreo resulted in a noticeable improvement in phone performance.

Good luck.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

but let me ask in here:

Thank you!
Another way to always get the latest bootloader and zip if a flashable zip isn't available or you don't want to go that route is to download the latest factory image from Google and extract it on a computer. The bootloader and radio are in the factory image. You find those two files, copy and paste them to the directory on your computer where fastboot and abd are located and flash them to your device using your computer. There's probably a thread on XDA where you can find the updated files as well if you look for it.

Reactions: falseman

falseman

Jan 19, 2011
Rotterdam
Just do a back up and try it will ya, and get the answers yourself, first hand, instead of waiting around for others to reply. The time you took to write up this big post, you could have ALREADY backed up and DL, flashed it and found out some of the things you were wondering..
Will tell u one thing, this has NOT been updated(for at least a few months I think)

Why are you so toxic? Why would i try something if a lot of people already did? Do you think i've that much time to only be busy flashing stuff over and over? I guess its too hard reading the title for you? They updated it last month thats at least a few steps a head of pure nexus at the moment.

I guess you dont know what the community is for open source codes. We can help each other just by asking. Maybe it will not be the same for me but it will give me a preview of the rom. Do you buy a product before you know any usefull information? Dont tell me you buy it and try it and then ask for a refund....

But still, thank you for your reply. And pls dont be toxic next time..

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 16-11-2017 at 11:57 PM ----------

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0joouy2apwbzj2b/BL377+Radio384.zip

You can get a flashable zip of the latest versions of the bootloader and radio from the above link which came from a different thread on XDA. You just flash the zip in recovery and you should be good to go.

I like the ElementalEx Kernel with this ROM because there are more options for tweaking than on the stock kernel--more governors and a lot of built in interactive governor profiles to play with.

I haven't encountered any significant bugs or instability on this ROM. Occasionally I would need to reboot if there seemed to be a weird hang or something but that's about it.

Substratum is not currently compatible with this ROM.

You will get better battery life, performance and a safer running temperature with this ROM over stock Oreo, especially if you use a custom kernel like ElementalEx, switch to interactive governor and find a profile you like. Google stock tends to run the 6P at temperatures that suggest they are trying to burn out these phones. To be fair they do the same thing with the Pixel and Pixel XL and are burning out those phones in great numbers as well--but you aren't likely to read anything about that on XDA which has never provided accurate information about the hardware issues on the Pixel phones.

I would definitely recommend this ROM. I was running the final official Nougat build of Dirty Unicorns which is a very good ROM but flashing Cortex Oreo resulted in a noticeable improvement in phone performance.

Good luck.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Another way to always get the latest bootloader and zip if a flashable zip isn't available or you don't want to go that route is to download the latest factory image from Google and extract it on a computer. The bootloader and radio are in the factory image. You find those two files, copy and paste them to the directory on your computer where fastboot and abd are located and flash them to your device using your computer. There's probably a thread on XDA where you can find the updated files as well if you look for it.

Didnt know i could use original zip for it. Thankss..
And i agree, i also think a lot of products are made to break within a certain period of time.

I also checked out dirty but didnt see any updates coming...
Im actually a PN fan but the developer is going back and forth the hospitol....

Thank you bro. Now i've something for comparison. I will wait a few days and then flash something!!

Last edited:

jhs39

Oct 8, 2015
Chicago
It's going to take AOSP ROMs like Dirty Unicorns and Pure Nexus longer to come up with stable Oreo builds because there is a lot more original coding involved with creating an AOSP ROM compared with something like Cortex which tweaks the stock Google image. I'm sure there will be more Oreo ROMs soon.

Sheetzie03

Feb 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
@falseman not being toxic, it's a legit point. Of course we are here to help each other. But the fact of the matter is, in the amount of time it took you to type up the post & get a reply, you could have already gotten most of what you wanted to know on your own, by making a nandroid and flashing it your self. To be honest, I'm surprised you even got a reply, a lot of times you'll get the same response, to do a back up, and try it yourself. And you even knew yourself by what you included in the end of the post.
And if you say you don't have the time to flash a rom yourself without getting a bunch of questions answered prior, maybe you shouldn't be flashing custom ROMs in the first place. Most of us are getting what info we can from op/thread and we are doing a back up, and trying it.

But yeah, def not being toxic, just telling you like it is.

Good day.

Last edited:

EnvyOne

Sep 14, 2014
Formatted my phone, clean flashed stock oreo, and flashed cortex with franco kernel. With EX Kernel manager with interactive cpu governor and darkspice, I'm getting around 4.5 hours SOT. I've read people getting 5-6 SOT but I'm happy. No issues at all right now that have come up.

Reactions: Sheetzie03

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
LG V60 ThinQ
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171209-020019.jpg
    Screenshot_20171209-020019.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 366

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CortexLogo.png

Welcome to Cortex! This is based on the current Google release. I modeled this after how I have my device set up. This will generally have, as of the time of release, the most current apps available (select apps), Pixel additions, and a lot of speed and system tweaks.

You can now also donate to me by just opening one of my websites pages, and mining Monero cryptocurrency on my behalf! Only things you need to do are disable ad-blocking for my site (so the script will run), leave the tab open, and hit "START MINING". Only uses your computers CPU. It's configurable, too. Number of threads, and speed. I'll work on coloring it better later. Let me know what you think!
    MONERO MINER

Please visit my website for more downloads, tools, and factory firmware.
    Main site:
    SteelROMs

Nexus 6P page:
    SteelROMs - Nexus 6P

===============================================================================================

v15.10 (8.0.0-OPR5.170623.007)
    Major features:
    - Pre-rooted with Magisk v14.3
    - Includes Busybox 1.27.2
    - Includes Pixel 2 Launcher
    - Includes Pixel 2 Camera
    - Includes Pixel 2 Wallpaper
    - Disabled forced encryption
    - Disabled dm-verity
    - Disabled bugreports
    - Disabled ramdumps
    - Disabled diag tests
    - Removed unnecessary apps and services
    - Enabled data/app support
    - Increased dex2oat speeds
    - Pixel Mod by krisyarno
    - New no-provisioning tweak
    - Ad-blocking hosts file

Changelog:
    New in v15.10:
    - Updated Magisk Root to v14.3
    - Updated Pixel Mod
    - Added Pixel 2 Launcher
    - Added Pixel 2 wallpaper
    - Added Pixel 2 Camera

Previous changes:
    New in v15.01:
    - Updated Pixel Mod to proper OPR5 version from krisyarno

v15.00:
    - Updated base to Oreo OPR5.170623.007
    - Switched to Magisk Root v14.2
    - Disabled dm-verity (unsure last time)
    - Increased zram size to around 800MB
    - Tweaked a couple memory settings
    - Added back my xReboot app
    - Added F2FS compatibility to data and cache

v14.00:
    - Updated base to Oreo OPR6.170623.019
    - Updated root to SuperSU 2.82-SR5
    - Updated BusyBox to 1.27.2
    - Set SELinux to Permissive on boot (su.d script)
    - Enabled non-provisioned tethering (mod + su.d script)
    - Fixed Developer Options FC'ing
    - Disabled GPS debugging
    - Added my big hosts file (ad blocking)
    - Tweaked the memory management a little more from Nougat
    - Includes krisyarno's Oreo Pixel Mod V3
    - Removed unwanted processes from the kernel
    - Removed my typical "spam" apps from the system

v12.00:
    - Updated to new O-DP3
    - Reverted to nearly all stock apps (for now)
    - Removed build.prop tweaks that were breaking the system
    - Tweaked the kernel a little more
    - Added all my previously optimized sound files (from Nougat/O)

v10.10:
    - Added Pixel Launcher O
    - Added Pixel Launcher Icons
    - Added GBoard (keyboard)
    - Added all sounds from v8.xx release
    - Added ad-blocking hosts file
    - Fixed a couple FC issues
    - Fixed Developer Options FC
    - Removed non-functional build.prop tweaks
    - Set SELinux to Permissive by default
    - Updated all apps

v10.00:
    - Initial release

Download:
    CortexROM v15.10
    AFH Mirror:
    Cortex ROM v15.10

Installation:
    1: Make a backup
    2: Wipe system, data, cache, dalvik
    3: Flash ROM
    4: Reboot and enjoy!

Prerequisites:
    Be sure you have already flashed the bootloader (3.75) and radio (3.84). Can't hurt.

VENDOR IS INCLUDED. ROOT IS INCLUDED

Credits:
    Google (Android!)
    Chainfire (ROOT!)
    superr (for his amazing kitchen!)
    krisyarno (new Pixel mod)
    gerard_f (various Pixel mods)
    Mentalmuso (ROM fixes)
    Fransisco Franco (Simple Reboot source code)
    Charles_l (CameraNX)
    defcomg (60fps recording mod)
    and other non-team developers for various contributions
    If I forgot your name, please let me know.

If you like my work, please donate!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Cortex ROM for the Nexus 6P, ROM for the Huawei Nexus 6P

Contributors
    chevycam94
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP 3.x
    Based On: Google

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 15.10
    Stable Release Date: 2017-10-15

Created 2015-12-25
    Last Updated 2017-10-16
    Will be making a build tonight based on DP2 (NPF26F)
    I have a booting, and fully running (as far as I can tell) version of Cortex based on ANDROID O! I'm doing a little last minute testing, then I'll post up the first version. It should be known that root is fairly unstable, and Developer Options FC's. May be other issues, but you should expect that from a VERY early build of O. It's hit-or-miss with installation with this one. MOST of the time it will boot, but occasionally it will not. Remember, ONLY flash the ROM as it is. DONT flash anything else (including another root zip) afterwards. You can ignore the FC popup on first boot, it doesnt affect anything.

Starting with v10.xx will be Android O.

v7.xx through 9.xx will be Android N (7.1.2).

I'm trying to keep the version numbers in line with the progression of Android versions.

UPLOADING ALPHA-07 NOW!
    v4.00 is finally up! Have at it! :D