• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] [CUSTOM] [INTEL JOYING] GTX joying ROM V9a3 2018-04-22

Search This thread

becreative

Nov 23, 2012
Is anyone tried this already? This updated SofiaServer.apk?

As I thought it contains some trojan.. 😄 So just be aware guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-16-13-12-59-723_org.mozilla.firefox_beta.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-05-16-13-12-59-723_org.mozilla.firefox_beta.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: WishiHadAnR32

SuperSalty

Jun 18, 2021
Solingen, Germany
Hi everyone,

I've been using a JY-UMS03N for about 3 yrs now. And I've also been using the GTX rom for quite some time now. Yesterday the unit randomly rebooted and greeted me with a screen about that it's now wiping everything. Since then the HU doesn't boot into Android anymore. After the set manufacturer logo it just continues to spam "Last copy navi fail!" and "E: unknown volume for path [/ment/external_sd]" at me.

I have read a lot of threads but it appears that noone really encountered that issue in combination with not being able to boot into Android at all before.

I hope someone has an idea about what could be the cause and a possible solution to this.

Thanks for the help!

SuperSalty

Attachments

• IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
@IG_Vasilich Yes at some point there was an SD card in the GPS-Card slot. However I removed it after losing the mapdata that was on there through a factory reset. Since then there was no SD Card installed anymore.
Maybe, but I assume that the navi app is still installed and is still looking for its maps on the now missing SD-card.
Or some persistent property makes the system look for an SD-card, because some program later started (the navi app, maybe no longer installed), might want to access the SD-card. Please try with a cleanly formatted SD-card and see if it runs through the boot process.

Reactions: IG_Vasilich

SuperSalty

Jun 18, 2021
Solingen, Germany
Maybe, but I assume that the navi app is still installed and is still looking for its maps on the now missing SD-card.
Or some persistent property makes the system look for an SD-card, because some program later started (the navi app, maybe no longer installed), might want to access the SD-card. Please try with a cleanly formatted SD-card and see if it runs through the boot process.
Thanks for the fast replies from you guys! I really appreciate that!

@surfer63 I just tried what you suggested.

Interestingly with a completely formatted FAT32 SD-Card the HU showed the "not fully started 3 times" message which it did not before. Unluckily, after the reboot it just continued to display the said error message.

So no luck with that either.

Additionally, I also tried to put the GTX rom on a fresh formatted SD-Card which did not bring any luck either. I tried the same with the original firmware off of Joying's homepage but no luck aswell.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
I'm afraid you have to flash your unit again, and you have to start with the Joying firmware.
Put the Joying firmware on a fat32 scdard.
Put it in your unit and reset your unit via the pinhole. When the bootlogo appears, reset it immediately. Do this 3 times.
The fourth time it should flash the Joying firmware. When everything is again up and running, you can use the suctom apk to replace the recovery image again and then flash the gtx rom again (if you want to)

SuperSalty

Jun 18, 2021
Solingen, Germany
I'm afraid you have to flash your unit again, and you have to start with the Joying firmware.
Put the Joying firmware on a fat32 scdard.
Put it in your unit and reset your unit via the pinhole. When the bootlogo appears, reset it immediately. Do this 3 times.
The fourth time it should flash the Joying firmware. When everything is again up and running, you can use the suctom apk to replace the recovery image again and then flash the gtx rom again (if you want to)
I tried it now.

So basically no matter how often I reset the HU it always continues to boot to the error message.

Only if I insert a formatted SD-Card with nothing on it, the machine will display the "machine did not fully start 3 times". However, it does not install anything. It does not check for any USB media and so on. And if I insert the SD-Card with the original Joying firmware on it, it again just boots to the error message.

Further, if I have a USB-Stick plugged in with the firmware, the HU just ignores the empty SD-Card and just boots to the "unknown volume" error.
If I plug in the USB Stick while it's displaying the "machine did not fully start" message, the HU either freezes or it doesn't reboot and continues to the main error message.

Just to get things straight, and I'm not messing up any formats and stuff.

The SD-Card has to be formatted in FAT32, and the ZIP of the firmware needs to be extracted to the root of the SD-Card?

Lastly, doesn't the path "/mnt/external_sd/" point to the internal storage? AFAIK SD-Cards are labeled "/sdcard1" by android. USB-Sticks normally have the path "/usb1".

So could there be a possibility that the HU just fried the internal storage and thus is unable to mount it to boot from it? Or am I just too dumb to properly reflash the HU? :/

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
When you install the GTX custom rom, you first need to replace the recovery image with another one using the custom.apk. Gtxaspec strongly suggests to replace the custom recovery, after having flashed with the gtx rom, with the original recovery.
Did you do that? Or is the custom recovery still in place? If the latter, you are really in a bad position.

SuperSalty

Jun 18, 2021
Solingen, Germany
Honestly, since I flashed the HU a long time ago, I'm not entirely sure if I replaced the custom recovery with the original one. Since the HU is showing all sorts of unexpected behavior, I'm assuming I did not replace the custom recovery after flashing.

Since you're already mentioning my most likely bad position with the custom recovery still in place:

Do you have any idea about how I could unbrick the HU with the custom recovery still in place?

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
hvdwolf.github.io
Honestly, since I flashed the HU a long time ago, I'm not entirely sure if I replaced the custom recovery with the original one. Since the HU is showing all sorts of unexpected behavior, I'm assuming I did not replace the custom recovery after flashing.

Since you're already mentioning my most likely bad position with the custom recovery still in place:

Do you have any idea about how I could unbrick the HU with the custom recovery still in place?
If you still have the custom twrp recovery in place, you should try to boot into the twrp recovery. From that point you can reinstall the gtx custom rom (see post #627)
Booting the unit into the twrp recovery might be a "trial & error" atempt. See for example https://www.droidwin.com/boot-android-device-twrp-recovery/

If absolutely nothing works, there is still a way to do this but I can't help you with that. You need to open your unit and reconnect/resolder "some contacts". That is also how it is done by the manufacturer on a new, "clean" unit without anything on the unit.
It has been described somewhere in this forum about 4 years ago (I think). It has a special name but I can't even remember that one.
So I guess you have to do some serious googling.

antvic

Nov 2, 2008
Móstoles (Madrid)
Hello everyone. I do not understand step 2 for installing the custom ROM.
How do you do that from the ADB?
Can anyone help me with images or videos?
I am very interested in this ROM. I've installed custom ROMs in the past on drives with Rockchip 3066
My Unit is "Joying JY-UMS03N"

""Step 2. Use the Android helper application "custom" to install. Download from link below, either on the Head Unit itself, OR on PC and transfer using ADB. Once installed, open the program, and grant superuser privileges when prompted, you'll be presented with screen as here:""

Attachments

• 16-Información del tablet.png
    16-Información del tablet.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ========================================ACHTUNG===================
    =================WARNING==========================================
    =====================================================PELIGRO=======
    AS WITH ANY UNSUPPORTED SYSTEM MODIFICATIONS, USING THIS MAY LEAD TO A BRICK
    IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ( HAVEN'T BRICKED MY SYSTEM YET! ) PLEASE
    BE AWARE THAT NO ONE ON THE INTERNET IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR
    UNIT. ANY PROBLEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED ACTS OF WHATEVER GOD YOU BELIEVE IN.
    ======PELIGRO=======================================================
    ================================WARNING============================
    ===ACHTUNG=========================================================

For FYT SoM (5009/6011/6021/6022/6023) based JOYING / Intel SoFIA units ONLY!

Hello, here is a custom rom based on the SYU Stock Build [sofia3gr_car_64-userdebug 6.0.1 MMB29M eng.bsp.20180110.181524 release-keys]

Your Head Unit MUST ALREADY BE ROOTED! You must be able to obtain Super User access within Android!

Due to Bluetooth, WiFi, and as well as nvram patches in the ROM and bootloader, you must be running Joying 6.0 firmware dated 2017_12_15 or later to install this ROM.

Why this ROM? Simple answer: It's makes your Head Unit faster than running the stock ROM's, has updated Google Apps, and has the bloat removed! It's pre-rooted also!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
    Step 1: Unzip the contents to the root of your USB flash drive on your computer, then plug the flash drive into the Joying unit via USB.

Step 2. Use the Android helper application "custom" to install. Download from link below, either on the Head Unit itself, OR on PC and transfer using ADB. Once installed, open the program, and grant superuser privileges when prompted, you'll be presented with screen as here:

url]

Step 3: Click INSTALL CUSTOM. Wait for output to say recovery successfully installed!

If you wish to preserve your /data, AKA dirty-flash, click on "Do not wipe data" at this point to prevent your data partition from being wiped.
    ALL EXISTING DATA ON UNIT WILL BE ERASED. THIS IS A CLEAN INSTALLATION!

Step 4: click REBOOT TO INSTALL GTX ROM - Your Joying unit will reboot, and installation will automatically proceed through TWRP.

(NOTE! The ROM automatically re-installs stock recovery during installation, so if something goes wrong, you can always restore to the original JOYING firmware.)

Recovery options:

RESTORE STOCK - Restores the original stock recovery
    INSTALL CUSTOM - Installs superdave's custom recovery (needed to install this ROM)
    VERIFY RECOVERY - tells you which recovery you have installed

Rom Utilities:
    (all options on this menu work only if you have custom recovery installed)
    "Do Not Wipe Data" Switch - enable this to prevent your /data partition from being wiped when installing the ROM. (Your results may vary. Works for me!)
    REBOOT TO TWRP - Reboots to TWRP home screen allowing you to do things
    INSTALL GTX ROM- installs joying_gtx stock rom from installation media
    Exit - exit custom

Code:
    ====Includes====
    xposed v87 x86
    open gapps x86 Nano Feb 2018
    ViPER4ANDROID FX
    precompiled dalvik cache (first boot 2 minutes)
    enabled eth0 at boot at 192.168.65.100 for debugging
    ADB enabled
    SeSuperuser built-in
    Included [custom] app to manage superdavex's custom recovery for easy installation and maintenance
    RightCamera (front cam app) modified APK
    AOSP android boot animation
    Interactive cpu governor:
    	go_highspeed_load set at 70% CPU load
    titanium backup
    nova launcher
    GVC CallHandler 4 Joying
    Amaze File Manager

Xposed modules:
    boot manager
    gravitybox
    no overlay warning
    immsersive mode forcer
    app settings
    fake wifi
    GPSSpeedFix

======Removed======
    [I]Debug Services:[/I]
    usbactive
    sqldebug
    pekallfmrserver
    watchdog
    ap_logfs
    apk_logfs
    log-watch
    crashlogd
    adbusbmuxd
    adbec
    bootwatcher
    shcmd
    fmd

[I]Removed Apps:
    [/I]
    BasicDreams
    BluetoothMidiService
    Exchange2
    Galaxy4
    HoloSpiralWallpaper
    LiveWallpapers
    LiveWallpapersPicker
    NoiseField
    OpenWnn
    PhaseBeam
    PrintSpooler
    GooglePinyinIME
    RKUpdateService
    CaptivePortalLogin
    WAPPushManager

[I]removed from /system-priv-app
    [/I]ManagedProvisioning
    CallLogBackup
    OemTelephonyApp
    DeviceTest
    StressTest
    WallpaperCropper
    GoogleFeedback
    ProxyHandler
    CellBroadcastReceiver

[I]Removed FYT APPS[/I] ( these slow the system down considerably, even when not in use )
    SYU-1-C9-Calculator-V1.0
    Sofia-1-C9-TV-V1.0
    JY-1-C9-Video-V1.0
    JY-1-C9-TimeWeather-V1.0
    SYU-1-FileManager-V1.0
    SYU-1-C9-Update-V1.0
    Sofia-1-C9-ExDvr-V1.0
    SYU-1-C5009-DVR-V1.0
    Sofia-1-C9-Gallery-V1.0
    JY-1-C9-MUSIC-V1.0
    ZBox
    note, this is a test release intended for developer users only. no support other than this post is offered. A final version will follow soon once initial testing has been completed.

Download Links
    Installer ( unzip, this will help you install the ROM on a STOCK, un-rooted Head Unit ) :
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dvYVo1fMR9uIIiuCegOaa7PJvm4r7hS1

custom V4_9
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qJQmzh1bPlA-vEbnps2FjoLzoGzOdu_S
    https://github.com/gtxent/custom source code

Firmware Download:
    V9 ALPHA 3
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iJcOn5-SRzTnH49C7BV_LLU6j5nNWSPD
    Q / A:

Q: Do I need to worry about what MCU version I have before I use your rom?
    A: Maybe, GTX ROM doesn't touch the MCU, which shouldn't be re-flashed with each install anyway as it usually doesn't change. Whatever MCU version you have, this ROM will work for you, as long as you have an FYT based SoM unit. If you encounter errors, you might need to change the "ro.build.fytmanufacturer" property in /system/app/fyt.prop to match whatever your unit ORIGINALLY came with.

Q: I have a RK3066/RK3188/PX3/PX5 based head unit. Will this ROM work for me?
    A: NO! This ROM ONLY works on FYT based head units. This means all Joying Intel units, as well as some from other brands.

Q: I like Live Wallpapers. How do I enable them?
    A: Use the built in terminal. type su and hit enter. You now have root. then type in:
    Code:
    cp -R /system/vendor/oem/LiveWall* /system/app
    hit enter again, then reboot!

Q: I don't want to use this ROM anymore, what do i do?
    A: Use the helper application, custom, open the program, and click RESTORE STOCK. This will restore the STOCK RECOVERY. Go on Joying's website [link], download the firmware of your choice, and follow their instructions.

Q: Can I use google voice to make hands free calls?
    A: You sure can. Use the "Voice Search" app to dial a number using your voice, once at the Google App screen, click on the hamburger menu, and then select GV CallHandler 4 Joying. Make sure your unit is set to a DPI of at least 161dpi or greater, and then clear data on the google app. After you reboot, you should be able to make calls.

Q: How do I view my front camera?
    A: If you are using the analog RCA video input, on the back of the unit, you can use the RIGHT CAMERA app to view. Note, than unlike the AUX program, this one will NOT mute the system audio.

Q: How can I fix my GPS speed to calculate 1/kmh or 1/mph steps instead of the default 4 steps?
    A: Go to XPOSED INSTALLER, and enable the GPSSpeedFix module. Reboot, and the steps will be fixed.

Q: How can I enable different DPI settings for each application?
    A: Go to XPOSED INSTALLER, and enable the App Settings module. Exit the installer, and open the App Settings to make your adjustments. Reboot, and your changes will be visible.

Q: This ROM is fast, but I want more speed, what do I do?
    A: Add a fan to your unit, preferably a FAN + Heatsink. Then download an app like SetCPU to lock your CPU to MAX speed. Be careful.

Q: How do I re-assign the hard keys on my unit? Joying says that DVD and EJECT don't work! Is this a lie?
    A: Yes! There is a way to re-assign keys, and the DVD and EJECT keys do actually work, the software that comes with the unit is not very good. Check @surfer63's XSofiaTweaker thread for more info on how this works.

Q: I want to send and receive my text messages on my Joying unit...is this possible?
    A: Sure! Use third party app like Pulse, or Pushbullet. Works like a charm. I personally use Pulse, it's got the look and feel of a stock SMS app.

Q: Installing the Joying Factory Rom takes like an hour...multiple reboots, then it starts over, then it reboots, then it optimizes apps, then it starts over, again. jeez. How long does your ROM take to install?
    A: Installation is less than 4 minutes. First boot is timed at one minute 53 seconds, and there are no crashes or reboots. It just works.

Q: Xposed says there is an update available! Is it safe to update Xposed?
    A: NO! Do NOT update Xposed, it will make your unit non-functional! Just say NO!

Q: Am I able to "upgrade" from an earlier version of the ROM to a newer without loosing my data and apps?
    A: Yes, read the first post on what option to select in custom. Many others and I have tested, and it works for almost all people, still there is a chance that it could not work.

Q: I need to download the stock Joying firmware so I may use your ROM! Where do I get the latest updates?
    A: See here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nF5Pgn95_WWGk8S2byb8rR5ko0ss5F_S

Q: is there a video where I can see you install the ROM?
    A:
    gtx ROM v6 is LIVE! post feedback PLEASE!
    So with lots of testing, the GTX JY ROM will be moving to a v10 STABLE release very soon. v9 should be released within the next few days, with some V9 point releases in between for bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who has used, tested, broken, and is enjoying their head units! Please send lots of feedback to help move to V10 stable for more to enjoy.
    OK...so I have made an Xposed module which disables the function of the Xposed Installer updating the Framework...will be included with v9a3... no more accidents.