[ROM] CyanogenMod 10 (qwerty)

Search This thread

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
I finally built my own CM10 with the 3.0 kernel. Actually, I've already done it long ago, but my CM10 builds with my 2.6.35 kernel simply outperformed it, until recently.

The ROM is not perfectly stable though. Here the list of the issues I encountered
  • Backlight issues for some users (I actually don't have this problem, but I know the bug is there)
  • USB transferred files are oftern corrupted (tried UMS, MTP and adb, no luck)
  • MTP transferred files are saved in the internal SD, even if you copy them in the external SD (this is really weird)
  • WiFi p2p is not implemented (I had to disable it to make WiFi work)
  • Audio/video sync issues while recording videos @ 720p, along with frames and fps drops. Things are not that bad @ 480p, but not perfect.
  • If you close the camera app while in video mode, the next time you'll open it, it will FC (I must have done something wrong while backporting it from CM-10.1. It also happens in my other CM10 builds)
  • If you set as max freq 600MHz, because of the way I implemented power HAL, the max frequency will be set to 1GHz. No problems for the other frequencies. Delete /system/lib/hw/power.latona.so if this bothers you.
  • Random hot reboots (that's the main problem for me now)
  • You can't change the sensitivity of the touchscreen or the touchscreen. It's not implemented yet.

EDIT: power HAL is included, it's for ondemand and unlike my previous builds the CPU is boosted not so often. It's also used to limit the CPU frequency at 600MHz when the screen is off. DeviceParts was not correctly updated, it will let you select as boosting frequency 1.2GHz, which is not available.

This is just a test.
I can't say anything about battery life.
The ROM feels pretty good, it's as smooth as my other builds, but more responsive.
I didn't test Bluetooth.
I tested audio and video playback only to see if they work (they didn't), but not intensively.
The kernel is mostly like dhiru's, I just did some changes here and there (see my repos)
OC is not availble. I tried it, just for the sake of it, but I could get a stable device only at 1.1GHz. I didn't include the changes for it and I don't want to do it, at least for now.

I flashed the ROM directly on top of my cm-10-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip with no data wipes. You should be able to go back to that build with no wipes as well, but it's better if you take a backup, you know, just in case.

You can download the ROM from here: cm-10-20130814-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip

Why not CM10.1/2?
The answer is simple. I like CM10, it's faster, no jerky scrolling and it does all I need. Plus, there are other threads for CM10.1 and there will be other threads for CM10.2, while there are no threads for CM10.

UPDATE:
Got a SOD, or at least it looked like a SOD. I left the device charging tonight and this morning I couldn't wake it up. I forced a reboot keeping the power buttong pressed to get /proc/last_kmsg and it turned out that the device was awake, but nothing was shown on the screen nor the LEDs were turned on.
I'm not sure of this, but I probably forgot to disable the L3 OPP1 (see this), I was testing it. According to that commits it breaks DVFS, however I didn't notice any error in my logs.
I also noticed too many failed suspensions (PM: Device omap-sdp failed to suspend: error -1)

Last edited:

cukierkas

May 26, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A1
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
hello, thanks for update.
but for mean time I'll stick to flyongb. Just for bt. That app you told me last time didnt made any improvement. I played for two days, but didn't found any setting to improve bt sound quality.
I like your releases, it was my daily driver, but tired of bt problems and battery life. On gb I do have 6hrs of screen time, while on pre-last cm10 build was max 3,5 :(
I'll sertainly wait for stable release, I do like your work. Thanks.

Reactions: resetez

klau7

Oct 18, 2011
Can I flash this one over cm10.1 after wipe (data & system)?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using xda app-developers app

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
I'm having some issues with WiFi, the device get disconnected from Google services after some time spent with the screen off, even if it remains connected to the AP.
I rolled back to an older WiFi firmware version (R5.SP3.06) and the problem seems to be solved, but I'm not sure yet. The problem I'm having is probably due to my router.

If you are also having problems, try to flash TI-wl12xx-firmware-R5.SP3.06.zip. Even if it didn't solve the problem, I think I'll keep using this version.

hello, thanks for update.
but for mean time I'll stick to flyongb. Just for bt. That app you told me last time didnt made any improvement. I played for two days, but didn't found any setting to improve bt sound quality.
I like your releases, it was my daily driver, but tired of bt problems and battery life. On gb I do have 6hrs of screen time, while on pre-last cm10 build was max 3,5 :(
I'll sertainly wait for stable release, I do like your work. Thanks.
No problem, use what better suits your needs.
I have a question though. It's been a long time since I used a stock ROM and now that you tried both my CM10 and recently moved to a stock ROM, I'd like to know how's the battery with CyanogenMod. I won't flash a stock ROM anytime soon to do a comparison on my own.
Without looking at the stats, at the end of the day, how different is the remaining battery between a stock ROM and CyanogenMod with the same usage?

Can I flash this one over cm10.1 after wipe (data & system)?
Yes. There's no need flash N different stock ROMs, format SD cards etc.
Reboot to recovery, flash the zip, do a data wipe (I doubt downgrades are expected) and then flash gapps.

I don't know if I'm the only one having troubles transferring big files with the USB cable, but make sure that the file you are going to flash is not corrupted. Usually when it happens CWM can't read the zip at all and it fails almost immediately.

EDIT
I know some of you had issues with the SD card which was not automatically mounted. If you had this problem and moved to my CM10 build, could you please tell me if the problem is solved? (this maybe fixed the problem, it's already included in my build)

Last edited:

cukierkas

May 26, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A1
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Its really hard to say, everything depends on usage :)
With bt, 3g always on, about 20min to 1hrs of talking time per day, exchange email with push
, wifi at home. Sync about 20min per day. No texts. Skype texts max 20 mins. Autobrightness. That is average my daily routine.
With gb rom at night I still got about 50-40%, with cm10 less than 20:(
Battery is 2 months old.

If bt sound quality would be better and ram usage as on gb, I would stay on cm10, don't mind to charge every night, but on flyongb rom ram is always about 150-80 MB free and do fluid, as cm10 never was. Maybe ext4 formatting works so well? Or ram management scripts?
Losco, take a look to them, maybe than can be useful? Gb is fast and battery friendly, but cm10 rocks on eye candy stuff and user friendly handling ;)

Flyongb scripts
http://speedyshare.com/M2q7A/external-sd.zip
Thanks to @LoLaTiOn

One more edit :
Losconosciuto, can you compose me a script, witch would keep app in memory if that is possible? Gb one. If that possible and would take only some minutes :) I'm total noob in Linux stuff. Local.prop doesn't work on gb, guessing that this rom lacks of compiled feature to implement app locking :)
I still need browser to be locked, but thanks to gb memory management, it killed not so often :)
Sent from my GT-I9003

Last edited:

cukierkas

May 26, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A1
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
Speaking more about battery. At this screen time, cm10 would have about 15-20% left. And if battery fells below 10%, it runs flat really fast. Gb holds it really better, even below 10%..
Just true observations, nothing personal.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376599983707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376599983707.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 232
Reactions: poluyan_stas

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
I got another "SOD". I verified that it's not an actual SOD, "only" the screen and the touchscreen don't work. LEDs can be turned on, I can play sound through adb etc. I'm suspecting there are some issues while exiting from the off mode. I will investigate further.

Anyway, I made a new build: cm-10-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip. I did some changes to the both kernel and the ROM.
I ported some changes that Samsung did to the mmc driver in our 2.6.35 kernel. Part of them seem to be a power optimization (not sure of the effect), another part is probably to deal with some defective chips.
I also fixed power HAL, it wasn't doing anything in my other release except changing the max frequency when the screen was turned off. Also, you can now set as max frequency 600MHz.
If you don't want to boost the CPU, set from DeviceParts as boosting freq 300MHz. It will practically disable it.
I also re-included the scripts to fix the preview orientation in Skype and to lock apps in memory and as I wrote in my last post, I switched to the old WiFi firmware which seems to work better.

Last thing. I've noticed that there are not audio/video sync issues at 480p. Most likely the problem was caused by the hardware audio encoders which I had to disable to fix audio playback.

On GDrive you can find the patches I used.

If bt sound quality would be better and ram usage as on gb, I would stay on cm10, don't mind to charge every night, but on flyongb rom ram is always about 150-80 MB free and do fluid, as cm10 never was. Maybe ext4 formatting works so well? Or ram management scripts?
Losco, take a look to them, maybe than can be useful? Gb is fast and battery friendly, but cm10 rocks on eye candy stuff and user friendly handling ;)

Flyongb scripts
http://speedyshare.com/M2q7A/external-sd.zip
Thanks to @LoLaTiOn
Thanks for the scripts, but I don't want to use them.
The difference between JB and GB is that GB is a 5 years old OS, less resource hungry than a year old OS.
Things are better with the 3.0 kernel, the ROM became more responsive and it doesn't slow down as much as with the old kernel after some hours of use.
Losconosciuto, can you compose me a script, witch would keep app in memory if that is possible? Gb one. If that possible and would take only some minutes :) I'm total noob in Linux stuff. Local.prop doesn't work on gb, guessing that this rom lacks of compiled feature to implement app locking :)
I still need browser to be locked, but thanks to gb memory management, it killed not so often :)
Not possible without framework changes.

Anyway, I don't know how reliable are the battery stats, that's I asked for the consumption without looking at them.

ageback

loSconosciuto, thank you for your great work! But I encountered some problems when flashing cm-10-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip.
I was on CM10.1 alpha8. I wiped factory/data then flash your CM10.After reboot pass the start screen, I got screen malfunction. Then I took out the battery and did clean flash from DDLF2 FULL to cm-10-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip. But then I got boot stuck.
I really want to test your CM10 with kernal 3.0. Can you please help me?

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
I can make a betterbatterystats statistic file if you wish to.
Code:
http://speedy.sh/pk4jX/BetterBatteryStats-2013-08-16-220547649.txt
Thanks.

loSconosciuto, thank you for your great work! But I encountered some problems when flashing cm-10-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip.
I was on CM10.1 alpha8. I wiped factory/data then flash your CM10.After reboot pass the start screen, I got screen malfunction. Then I took out the battery and did clean flash from DDLF2 FULL to cm-10-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip. But then I got boot stuck.
I really want to test your CM10 with kernal 3.0. Can you please help me?
What kind of screen malfunction?

Stuck where? Splashscreen or bootanimation? Does the splashscreen ever disappear? Does the bootanimation ever start?

The kernel is mostly the same of the one included in dhiru's Alpha8. The only things that could have caused issues are the lower voltages I used, but those are the same voltages I used in my 2.6.35 kernels, or maybe that I re-enabled the L3 OPP1. I also changed the path of the internal SD while in recovery without doing some proper tests, but I don't think that's the problem, I simply replace few strings.

I'm sorry, but with no logs I can't help you that much, so the only suggestion I have is to retry to flash the ROM. In case it doesn't work, try to flash my ROM with the old kernel and then the one with the 3.0 kernel over that. You can do a data wipe later if you want.
If you can get any log, please give them to me (dmesg and logcat).

On a different note, I read here and there that sometimes the device loses the phone signal and a reboot is necessary to get it again. I think it happened to me yesterday and it looked like a kernel crash. Unfortuntely after the main crash happened, the WiFi driver kept throwing a warning filling the dmesg with the same message repeated over and over.

Last edited:

Siddhant Shankpal

Aug 8, 2011
Hyderabad
On a different note, I read here and there that sometimes the device loses the phone signal and a reboot is necessary to get it again. I think it happened to me yesterday and it looked like a kernel crash. Unfortuntely after the main crash happened, the WiFi driver kept throwing a warning filling the dmesg with the same message repeated over and over.

Yea, it does loose the phone signal sometimes & to get over that issue i switch on & then switch off Airplane mode. Signals come back to normal then.
And sometimes 2G data (EDGE) doesn't switch on, this issue need a reboot most of the time.
BTW I'm on Dhiru's 10.1 CM built.
Thanks!:)

Sent from my GT-I9003

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
cm-10-20130817-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip

I was informed that Bluetooth is not working. I'm sure I tried to turn it on at least once, probably it was one of my private builds. Anyway, I fixed it now. I also fixed the camera app, it won't force close anymore and I changed the number of the audio channels from 2 to 1 while recording videos. In this way you'll hear the recorded audio trakc from both the right and left channel, unlike before.

Sadly though, I had to revert this, omap-dsp was frequently failing to suspend because of that. Now ondemand is 10 times slower and because of that I made power HAL a bit more aggressive to minimize the lags. I think it's working quite decently.

It's blurred screen, happened after the splashscreen. After taking out battery and reboot it stuck at splashscreen. Clean flashes also stuck at splashscreen.
The blurred screen is weird, I can't even imagine how it looked like.
If the splashscreen doesn't disappear, it means that the framebuffer is not inizialized. That could indicate that the kernel crashes almost immediately, but usually when this happens the splash screen fades away and the device is rebooted.
I'm just guessing, but it could be the same thing that happened to spacebar2011 and erickkhhk, they couldn't flash my kernels from recovery, only Odin could do it. I don't know why.
If you want, here there's an Odin flashable kernel to test. You should be able to at least boot to recovery using the three keys combo.

Yea, it does loose the phone signal sometimes & to get over that issue i switch on & then switch off Airplane mode. Signals come back to normal then.
And sometimes 2G data (EDGE) doesn't switch on, this issue need a reboot most of the time.
BTW I'm on Dhiru's 10.1 CM built.
Thanks!:)
I guess mine was a different thing then, I couldn't switch to airplane mode, I tried it.
I don't know about 2G, I never use it, but it shouldn't be that different from 3G, which I keep constantly on.

p1p3r

Apr 19, 2013
Ivrea
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I guess mine was a different thing then, I couldn't switch to airplane mode, I tried it.
I don't know about 2G, I never use it, but it shouldn't be that different from 3G, which I keep constantly on.
I got same issue many times on dhiru rom alpha8: no signal and airplane mode not switching. May be is not a kernel issue: other roms based on alpha8 never happened this.

hjs89

Jan 10, 2011
No problem, use what better suits your needs.
I have a question though. It's been a long time since I used a stock ROM and now that you tried both my CM10 and recently moved to a stock ROM, I'd like to know how's the battery with CyanogenMod. I won't flash a stock ROM anytime soon to do a comparison on my own.
Without looking at the stats, at the end of the day, how different is the remaining battery between a stock ROM and CyanogenMod with the same usage?

Hi loSco,

I'm always switching roms, actually my daily rom is x-gamerz, based on your qwerty work. Battery life using Android 4.x kernel 2 is about 20-30 % shorter than GB, but enough for a full day. With dhiru's kernel 3 is about 50% shorter, I don't use it as daily because I have to charge the phone two times per day.

I make few calls (maybe 1 each 2-3 days) but I use a lot whatsapp and web browsing. Usually I get 2-3 hours of screen time on, in GB usually one more.

Reactions: MGEngineer

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
The weird SODs keep happening. They happened only in the morning for now, after the device was left charging all night long. I'm sure they are not SODs though, even alarms are fired, something goes wrong with the screen and the touchscreen.
I decided to blame the off mode for this, so I tried to disable it when the device is charging and things seem to be better now. I don't mind about using a bit more power while charging if this can prevent issues. I'm not sure this workaround fixed the problem, I still have to try the kernel a bit more.
If you also had issues with the screen and the touchscreen, post about it.
EDIT: This is what I did.

I also decided to re-enable the automatic voltages calibrations as TI suggests (CONFIG_OMAP_SR_CLASS1P5_RECALIBRATION_DELAY=86400000) and I made ondemand fast again and power HAL less aggressive without causing failed suspensions.
I'm still not sure about what sampling rate it's better to use for ondemand, I'm currently trying 90us and it seems quite balanced, not too fast, not too slow. I didn't notice huge differences with lower values.

In addition, I stumbled upon this patch which allows to show the statusbar in fullscreen apps with a swipe gesture, I adapted it and included it in build. You have to enable it from the system settings.

The build including these changes is cm-10-20130818-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip

PS: I tried to overclock the CPU once again. I found that with SmartReflex disabled I can use the device at 1.2GHz. Honestly, I care more about SmartReflex, so, if I'll ever add the fifth OPP, it will probably be limited to 1.1GHz. Not that I feel the need to overclock the CPU. If you are interested in the changes:

I tried 0817 version(kernal 3.0). It still stuck at spashscreen, no matter base on CM10-0812(kernal 2) or DDLF2 clean. Sorry, I don't know how to catch log.
Now I stay on 0812-kernal 2.
At least I know that the few changes I did to the updater are not the problem.

I got same issue many times on dhiru rom alpha8: no signal and airplane mode not switching. May be is not a kernel issue: other roms based on alpha8 never happened this.
It happened only once to me and that time I couldn't see what happened, but it looked like a kernel crash, even if I'm not sure.

Hi loSco,

I'm always switching roms, actually my daily rom is x-gamerz, based on your qwerty work. Battery life using Android 4.x kernel 2 is about 20-30 % shorter than GB, but enough for a full day. With dhiru's kernel 3 is about 50% shorter, I don't use it as daily because I have to charge the phone two times per day.

I make few calls (maybe 1 each 2-3 days) but I use a lot whatsapp and web browsing. Usually I get 2-3 hours of screen time on, in GB usually one more.
I still don't know how good the battery is with the 3.0 kernel, I started to use it as daily driver only recently and I haven't use the device that recently. However I didn't have a bad impression, it could be that my battery is so old that whatever I use I get a terrible battery life.

Last edited:

loSconosciuto

Nov 21, 2011
Kernel update: kernel-cm-10-20130820-galaxysl-signed.zip

The battery is now charged up to 95% of its capacity (you'll see 100% though) and once that percentage is reached, the device will stop charging and it will wait for 90 minutes before re-starting (unless you bump charge). That means it's normal to see the battery discharging when plugged in.
The previous kernel were fully charging the battery. Note that we were already altering the percentages so that anything greater than 95% was shown as 100%, making 100% last a lot. The reason why we are doing that is that this should prolong the life of the battery.

I also got rid of the off-mode workaround I introduced in my last update, I want to see if the problem persists.

In addition, I fixed the suspension while in charge mode and I replaced the images with the original ones, maybe they were a bigger than those I used.

Losco, so what screen time you've got with kernel 3 on your device? My hands are niesing to try your miracle, but battery life, sods and bt holds me :)

Sent from my GT-I9003

I didn't have a single SOD, except for that weird thing which I don't consider as SOD and which is similar to your issue with the alarm not showing up. I got few hot reboots the first day I flashed the ROM, maybe the first couple of days, but it's no more happening.

Bluetooth related stuff has gone through a lot of changes, I can't say if it's better or worse.

Regarding the battery, I can't do a direct comparison with my kernel 2.6.35 because I didn't use the device so much lately and more importantly, I'm using WiFi a lot now. I had several issues with my old kernel and used to enable it only for browsing. Now I keep it enabled almost all the time saving a lot of battery. WiFi is one of the main reasons I switched to the new kernel.

That said, that's a screenshot from yesterday. 2 hours (and 5 minutes) of screen on time. That's not bad at all for me, I used to get less than this, WiFi saved a lot of battery and normally my battery lasts 12 hours or less, 10 hours sometimes.
The standby power consumption is really good as you can see, even with everything syncing in background.
3G browsing kills the battery as it always did and sadly it's one of the few things I do with this device. I think that the radio management is not as good as in stock ROMs, we don't even support fast dormancy. You can loose a lot of battery within a few minutes. The weird thing is that if you leave the device with the screen off after that, you won't lose anything for a while. You can see that in my screenshot, the last part of the plot.

I also think that apps have a greater impact on battery life now, and I'd say that's because of the better kernel drivers which use wakelocks in a better way (for example the total time of max17040-battery, which corresponds to the old samsung-battery, after more than 10 hours, is 3 seconds). If kernel wakelocks are no more keeping the device awake for hours, partial wakelocks will do that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is where I'll post my CM10 builds.
    qwerty was the name I gave to the kernel I used to post here before I started to post entire ROM builds.

This is based on the amazing dhiru1602's work, big thanks to him.

Dowloads:

You can't resume downloads with GDrive. If you prefer other hosting websites, you can use the direct link of my builds to remotely upload them somewhere else. Dev-Host allows you to do that and allows you to resume downloads. Feel free to mirror my files.

Sources:

Please, read carefully the whole post.

There are two different versions of the ROM. One is using the kernel 3.0, the other the kernel 2.6.35. Read the known bugs and flash the one you prefer.

I did some changes to this CM-10, I updated it and added some extra features such as inbuilt SD swap (Settings > Storage > Use external storage), possibility to show the navbar without rebooting (System > Power menu > navbar and enable it from the power menu. It doesn't work perfectly, keyboards and notification panel can go behind it) possibility to limit the number of background apps and other handy options.
    I also backported some performance patches and misc fixes from CM-10.1 and some apps: Trebuchet, Apollo, Gallery (camera), Clock, CM File Manager and Superuser.

CyanogenMod 10 - kernel 3.0

Known bugs:
    • Backlight issues for some users: the screen backlight will automatically turn on when it's supposed to stay off.
    • Audio/video sync issues while recording videos at 720p, along with frames and fps drops.
    • Rare reboots. If they happen, post the content of /proc/last_kmsg.

CyanogenMod 10 - kernel 2.6.35

Known bugs:
    • Missing HW composer.
    • WiFi doesn't work perfectly. Some users report continuous disconnections or problems connecting to netowroks. Try to use a static IP in case you have problems.
    • Native USB tethering doesn't work. Use a third party app (tested: android-wired-tether).
    • The inbuilt Wi-Fi hotspot can be used only once, sometimes more, and after that a reboot is required to use it again. You can though use this modified version of android-wifi-tether, reboots are not required.
    • HD video playback suffer low framerate issues.
    • The 720p preview framerate is intentionally limited, especially while recording. The recorded video is (almost) fine.
    • There are sometimes lags in the preview while video calling with the front facing camera
    • Poor bluetooth headset sound quality. (I don't own a bluetooth headset, hence it's very hard for me to find the problem) - flash libaudio-BT-NR-fix.zip.

Release changes:
    Code:
    Look for the name of the zip in this thread to find its changes. This is no more updated.
    20130425: Camera HAL updates. Removed background apps limit. Use the modified dev settings to choose the number of background apps.
    20130416: Camera HAL: experimental changes
    20130407: Partially working WiFi tethering (perfect with [I]android-wifi-tether[/I])
    20130402: Several kernel changes, UMS regression fixed
    20130329: Video pillarbox. Regression: UMS requires adb
    20130326: Optimized build
    20130320: SSID fetch fixed
    20130319: Better wpa_supplicant support: WiFi scan and disconnecting bug fixed. Missing WiFi signal intensity fixed.

Stock ROM / CM7 / CM9 / CM10 Alpha3 (or older):
    dhiru1602 said:
    IMPORTANT! READ BEFORE FLASHING THIS RELEASE!
    1. This ROM will wipe data due to different partitioning. The device would reboot while flashing and resume again.
    2. Once on this ROM, the most effective way of going back to any other ROM would be to repartition from Odin.
    3. While converting the filesystem, your efs that has your IMEI is backed up to /emmc/backup/efs. Keep a backup on your PC just in case.
    4. Incase if you don't get a network signal, check if your IMEI and Baseband are proper. If not, go back to stock and try again.
    5. Do NOT use Odin to flash Modems. Due to different partitions, Odin will screw up your existing MTD setup.
    1. Stock ROMs only: Make sure you have CWM. Flash a custom kernel otherwise
    2. Download the zip of the ROM and save it into the internal SD or the external one (*)
    3. Reboot to recovery
    4. Flash the downloaded zip
    5. optional: Flash mobiledata_off.zip if you want mobile data off during the first setup
    6. optional: Flash Google Apps (for Android 4.1.2, many things will break otherwise)
    7. Reboot
    (*) While flashing, the device will reboot and you'll see a different recovery after that.
    If the zip is inside the internal SD, the flash will re-start automatically after the reboot.
    If the zip is inside the external SD, you have to re-start the flash manually re-flashing the zip. If you don't do that, only recovery will work until you flash the zip.

CyanogenMod 10:
    1. Download the zip of the ROM and save it into the external SD or the internal memory
    2. Reboot to recovery
    3. Flash the downloaded zip
    4. optional: Flash Google Apps (if you have already flashed them once, you can skip this step)
    5. Reboot
    Data wipes are mandatory only if you are not using CM10, it's not required otherwise.
    It doesn't matter if you are going to flash the version with the 3.0 kernel and you are using the other, it should work.

CyanogenMod 10.1/10.2:
    1. Download the zip of the ROM and save it into the external SD or the internal memory
    2. Reboot to recovery
    3. Flash the downloaded zip
    4. optional: Flash Google Apps
    5. optional: Flash mobiledata_off.zip if you want mobile data off during the first setup
    6. Wipe data/factory reset
    7. Reboot
    Downgrades are probably not expected, that's why you need to do a data wipe.

Important note:
    The modem is always replaced with XXLE4 modem when this ROM is flashed over a stock ROM, CM9 or CM10 Alpha 3 (or older).
    You can easly replace it. Take modem.bin from the tar of a stock ROM, place it in /radio overwriting the existing one and reboot. This is required only once, modem.bin is never replaced while updating the ROM. I9003L must do this, I9003 users can use the included modem, but it's better to use the modem made for your region.

• The latest versions of Instagram are not working due to a problem with related to the GPU binary blob. Instagram 3.4.0 is the latest working version. Probably every device using the same binary blob is affected (Optimus Black for example). You can download a modified version from here that will allow you to login.
    • The latest versions of Skype do not work properly, the preview is stretched and wrongly rotated. Use Skype 2.9.0.315 or see this post.
    • LEDs are not supposed to blink when a new notifcation arrives. They'll light up, but they won't blink. Making them blink would prevent the device from entering deep sleep.
    • (3.0 kernel) Once the battery is fully charged, it will start discharging and it won't be recharged automatically if at least 90 minutes have passed. You can forcefully charge it by unpluggin and re-pluggin the cable. This is an intended behaviour, charging the battery continuosly to keep it at 100% can shortnmyself toer its life.
    • This ROM allows you to force two apps to stay in memory. See this post for more info.
    • I made possible to toggle the navbar state directly from the powermenu modifying the existing expanded desktop feature, however it's not working perfectly. The navbar can go over the notification panel and the keyboard while in landscape. However it works as expected if you enable the navbar by setting qemu.hw.mainkeys or modding framework-res.apk. I have no intention to "fix" this as I can't see the utility of the navbar on our device.
    • (3.0 kernel) For some reason when the screen is turned off during a call by the proximity sensor, if enough time has passed it won't be turned on automatically. You can wake the screen immediately by pressing the home button or the power button or you can increase the backlight timeout from the settings. That will make the proximity sensor work for longer (I'm not sure, but I think the proximity sensor stops working exactly after this timer has expired). this problem is maybe solved.
    • FM radio is available through third party apps, such as Spirit FM
    • "Native" 3G video calls are not supported and most likely never will, flash a stock ROM if you need them. GTalk, Skype and all the other apps works though.
    • (3.0 kernel) if you lost your IMEI, WiFi will probably not work. See this for more info and instructions to fix the problem. No more required.
    • (3.0 kernel) part of the RAM is reserved. You'll see that we have 442MB 454MB of RAM, that's fine, the missing RAM is not really lost, it's still used.
    • If the keyboard keeps crashing, you probably flash the wrong gapps.
    • The magnetic sensor sometimes reports wrong values. When it happens, the field intensity is very high. This was observed with the 3.0 kernel, but probably the same thing happens with a 2.6.35 kernel.
    • (3.0 kernel) my SD card (it's probably a cheap SD card) is not working properly and I often have corrupted files. It worked fine with the kernel 2.6.35, so if you often have corrupted files, try a different SD card or use the old kernel.
    • Weird activity in standby? Read this.
    • (3.0 kernel) 1.2GHz is not stable on every device. I had to disable SmartReflex because it was causing crashes on my device. This means that the voltage of the OPP5 is locked the value I chose is not universally good. I'd prefer not to increase it more, if you have too many reboots, don't overclock. WARNING: don't tick "Set on boot" unless you are sure your device can handle OC. f you are stuck in a bootloop, flash disable_opp5.zip.
      In case the max frequency is 1.1GHz, then SmartReflex is enabled and the option in DeviceParts has no effect.

If you find a bug not listed, please report.
    Post as many informations as possible, ways to reproduce it and logs.
    You can easily grab (almost) all the logs I need by pressing vol down, vol up and power at the same time ("recent" builds only). LEDs will blink and /storage/sdcard0/logs_qwerty/log_DATE.txt will be created. In case the memory is not ready, you'll find the files in /data/logs_qwerty/log_DATE.txt.

The standalone kernel is no more mantained. Flash the ROM instead.

After months of use, I decided to publicly release my kernel.

This is for CyanogenMod 10 Alpha 4.

It's based on the GB kernel sources released by Samsung (GT-I9003_GB_Opensource_Update2.zip), modified (mostly by dhiru1602) to work with CyanogenMod.

Because of my lack of fantasy I named it "qwerty". It sucks, but at least it's easy to remember.

Main features:

• XDA_Bam's code and fixes:
      ◦ 5 OPPs
      ◦ Booting at stock speed (1000MHz)
      ◦ Slight undervolt (3%) on all OPPs
      ◦ Home button double presses fix
      ◦ Lowered processor transition latency
      ◦ Stable Bluetooth connections
    • Modified light sensor driver: [1]
      ◦ Disabled hardcoded filter. CyanogenMod has its own filters, enable it from the settings.
      ◦ Dynamic polling interval
      ◦ Code cleanup
    • Modified battery driver [2]
    • CPU Governors:
      ◦ Ondemand (default)
      ◦ SmartassV2
      ◦ Conservative
      ◦ Performance
    • I/O schedulers:
      ◦ Deadline (default)
      ◦ Noop
      ◦ CFQ
      ◦ SIO
    • Toggable FSync
    • Fixed always ON LEDs bug when used for notifications only
    • VPN networks support (not tested)
    • Slightly increased touchkeys sensitivity (from 45 to 35)
    • Other minor changes and optimizations

Downloads:
    UPDATE: USB composite is still a bit messed up. Windows can't recognize the phone when RNDIS (USB tethering) is enabled (working fine with Linux).
    If you need RNDIS, flash this kernel release or the previous one.

Additional zips:

Changelog:
    Code:
    22/04/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/compare/v3.1...v4.0"]v4.0[/URL]
    02/04/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/compare/v3.0...v3.1"]v3.1[/URL]
    01/03/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/compare/v2.1...v3.0"]v3.0[/URL]
    12/02/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/compare/v2.0...v2.1"]v2.1[/URL]
    09/02/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/compare/v1.0...v2.0"]v2.0[/URL]
    08/02/13: [URL="https://github.com/sconosciuto/android_kernel_samsung_latona/commits/v1.0"]v1.0[/URL] - Initial release

Notes:

[1] I made it compatible with the prebuilt libsensor included in CyanogenMod, but I'm using my own libsensor and maybe I didn't test this kernel with the stock one for long enough. I hence added my libsensor, just in case. If you want to restore the original libsensor, simply remove /system/lib/hw/sensors.latona.so.

[2] You can modify "samsung-battery" wakelock length through DeviceParts. By default it behaves like the original module. If you see "Android System" or anything else eating your battery with no reasons, increase the delay or restore the default one.

[3] DeviceParts.apk (System Settings > Advanced) is included because of some additional settings useful when this kernel is used. I'm not a Java dev, so it's probably not perfect, but it works quite well. I took pieces of code from other devices (mostly Crespo, Aries and S2). The source code is available, suggestions are more than welcome.

[4] Power HAL will make the CPU jump to a certain frequency (I set 800MHz) whenever Android requires it (when the screen is touched for example). Power HAL will also limit the max freq to 800MHz (my choice, not too fast, not too slow) when the screen is off. You can change the boosting freq from my custom DeviceParts. CPU frequencies changes (See XDA_Bam's thread for more info about variable overclocking) are not expected. If you don't like it, simply remove /system/lib/hw/power.latona.so. Few more lines about power HAL here.

[5] hostap and tiap_drv.ko make WiFi tethering possible using this modified version of android-wifi-tether.

Special thanks to dhiru1602 and XDA_Bam for their awesome work.
    New build.
    I tried to fix WiFi hotspot using some patches taken from here.
    I've managed to make it work perfectly through a modified android-wifi-tether, however the inbuilt one works only once, sometimes twice and after that a reboot is required to make it work again.

The kernel is mostly the same, I just added the support for MSS clamping (CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_TCPMSS) to support all the features of android-wifi-tether, there's no need to provide a separate zip.

Downloads:

Use the inbuilt hotspot only if necessary, otherwise use the app.

Here the patch for android-wifi-tether (I've just noticed I made a mistake, it won't work correctly with stock ROMs).

Big thanks to the CyanogenDefy team.
    Changes:
    • Fix up notification LED behaviour (1, 2, 3. You have to pull down the notification bar to turn LEDs off)
    • MediaProvider changes from 4.2 (scan external SD on boot, wakelock release fixed [according to the commit message])
    • svnet wakelock control (DeviceParts)
    • Expanded Desktop => Navbar (the option is in the power menu, but you have to enable it from the settings)
    • freetype + adobe cff (more info). Not a big difference unlike my previous changes, but I just had to cherry-pick the patch.

Downloads:
    cm-10-20130519-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip

There's a little issue when the Navbar is enabled through the power menu. Fixing it is a bit complex and I'm not going to port the changes to do that from cm-10.1. Basically the size of the window is not recalculated and apps are not reloaded. This makes the notification panel go behind the navbar, same for the recent apps list. Maybe there are some other issues, I don't know, I just verified that the normal behaviour is unchanged.
    If you always use the navbar because your softkeys are broken, enable it decompiling or using the prop as you've always done. In this way, it will behave properly (I didn't try).
    I sadly discover that it's not possible to add custom app shortcuts to it, it's just a waste of space for me like this, but I won't probably modify it to allow this.

Note: by defauly the action menu is never shown. If you want it, you have to enable it from Settings > System > Hardware keys >
    Show action overflow (usually this menu is hidden if the navbar is enabled and the action menu is always shown)

EDIT: I updated my public repos and my patches here, including the device and kernel changes not on Github yet.

Another nice feature would be to tie the wakeocks to profiles, so that, ie. at home, where I have very poor Phone coverage I could rise the samsung-battery etc. But I do not know if this is up to you...
    That's something a bit too complex. For something like that you could use external apps (such as Tasker) and shell commands to change the durations of the wakelocks, but I don't know how much they are integrated with the inbuilt profile system, I guess not much.

wanna make a suggestion for a navbar option in the next build.. could that be possible? :eek:
    I've already done it time ago, but I had some little but annoying issues I have now solved.

Oh and another thing, when you swap memories using the Storage Configuration is settings, Mass Storage only shows Internal Memory and not the SD Card. Used to never happen when I used to flash Lola's Swap SD and swap from there.
    That setting shouldn't be the problem. If you are using an old kernel release or build, make sure USB debug is enabled (dev settings).

Sorry losconosciuto, but what is "dmesg" ?

Edit: attach dmesg.txt
    The error seems to be:
    Code:
    unregister_netdevice: waiting for tiwlan0 to become free. Usage count = 1
    I don't know why this is happening. It's like as if the WiFi interface is still used. See if when the toggle is stuck tiwlan_drv.ko is still loaded, running from terminal emulator:
    Code:
    lsmod
    If you see tiwlan_drv, it means the driver is still loaded and it's waiting for tiwlan0 to be unloaded. I honestly don't know what's happening and it never happened to me. I did a quick search and found a similar problem which was related to ipv6. That was probably a particular situation, but if you are not using ipv6, disabling is of no harm. Flash this, it will create /data/local/userinit.d/disable_ipv6, which is just an init script. Delete it if needed, it's preserved when the ROM is updated.
    I finally built my own CM10 with the 3.0 kernel. Actually, I've already done it long ago, but my CM10 builds with my 2.6.35 kernel simply outperformed it, until recently.

The ROM is not perfectly stable though. Here the list of the issues I encountered
    • Backlight issues for some users (I actually don't have this problem, but I know the bug is there)
    • USB transferred files are oftern corrupted (tried UMS, MTP and adb, no luck)
    • MTP transferred files are saved in the internal SD, even if you copy them in the external SD (this is really weird)
    • WiFi p2p is not implemented (I had to disable it to make WiFi work)
    • Audio/video sync issues while recording videos @ 720p, along with frames and fps drops. Things are not that bad @ 480p, but not perfect.
    • If you close the camera app while in video mode, the next time you'll open it, it will FC (I must have done something wrong while backporting it from CM-10.1. It also happens in my other CM10 builds)
    • If you set as max freq 600MHz, because of the way I implemented power HAL, the max frequency will be set to 1GHz. No problems for the other frequencies. Delete /system/lib/hw/power.latona.so if this bothers you.
    • Random hot reboots (that's the main problem for me now)
    • You can't change the sensitivity of the touchscreen or the touchscreen. It's not implemented yet.

EDIT: power HAL is included, it's for ondemand and unlike my previous builds the CPU is boosted not so often. It's also used to limit the CPU frequency at 600MHz when the screen is off. DeviceParts was not correctly updated, it will let you select as boosting frequency 1.2GHz, which is not available.

This is just a test.
    I can't say anything about battery life.
    The ROM feels pretty good, it's as smooth as my other builds, but more responsive.
    I didn't test Bluetooth.
    I tested audio and video playback only to see if they work (they didn't), but not intensively.
    The kernel is mostly like dhiru's, I just did some changes here and there (see my repos)
    OC is not availble. I tried it, just for the sake of it, but I could get a stable device only at 1.1GHz. I didn't include the changes for it and I don't want to do it, at least for now.

I flashed the ROM directly on top of my cm-10-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip with no data wipes. You should be able to go back to that build with no wipes as well, but it's better if you take a backup, you know, just in case.

You can download the ROM from here: cm-10-20130814-UNOFFICIAL-galaxysl.zip

Why not CM10.1/2?
    The answer is simple. I like CM10, it's faster, no jerky scrolling and it does all I need. Plus, there are other threads for CM10.1 and there will be other threads for CM10.2, while there are no threads for CM10.

UPDATE:
    Got a SOD, or at least it looked like a SOD. I left the device charging tonight and this morning I couldn't wake it up. I forced a reboot keeping the power buttong pressed to get /proc/last_kmsg and it turned out that the device was awake, but nothing was shown on the screen nor the LEDs were turned on.
    I'm not sure of this, but I probably forgot to disable the L3 OPP1 (see this), I was testing it. According to that commits it breaks DVFS, however I didn't notice any error in my logs.
    I also noticed too many failed suspensions (PM: Device omap-sdp failed to suspend: error -1)
    This is still my daily driver.

For your information I started to work on the 3.0 kernel more or less since Dhiru got WiFi working so that I could get some logs. I worked on it more than what it seems.

I just don't have much free time lately to update this ROM. I'm still surprised that I've been able to provide constant updates for months considering that the code of CM10 was frozen when CM-10.1 was released (I manually backported most of the changes from it).
    There's not much left to do: WiFi requires way too much efforts to get fixed properly, same for all the other major bugs of this ROM. There's a reason why Dhiru dropped the old kernel and started to work on the new one. I opened this thread to give you something a bit better in the meantime.