[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds for Nook Color

Search This thread

CyanoLou

Sep 6, 2012
Phila
Is anyone else having this issue? I am on 11/08 with no problems.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56702823&postcount=680

Yes, The download file seems to be the right size. But is says bad file and kicks out and fails on install, like it can't find the file on the sd card (even though I navigated to it). I have been dirty flashing (Cache + Dalik). Is a clean install required for M12 onwards? Any help is appreciated.

** I downloaded from a computer to external microSD, reinserted the card into the nook color. The file was found and flashed (latest nightly).

Last edited:

bowguy

May 7, 2012
Ventura
Yes, The download file seems to be the right size. But is says bad file and kicks out and fails on install, like it can't find the file on the sd card (even though I navigated to it). I have been dirty flashing (Cache + Dalik). Is a clean install required for M12 onwards? Any help is appreciated.

** I downloaded from a computer to external microSD, reinserted the card into the nook color. The file was found and flashed (latest nightly).

See
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56782698&postcount=690

Henk Poley

Mar 24, 2011
The "Reboot and Install" option appears to point to the file being on "sdcard0". While the cmupdater directory is on "sdcard1". This give an error on the automatic installation through CWM recovery. If you pick the zip file by hand it will work fine.

Might want to fix that :)

Last edited:

Henk Poley

Mar 24, 2011
On latest CM11 (with the above kernel) I get "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped" when I start in Safe Mode.

Might be totally unsupported on the Encore for some reason, but odd that a feature that's supposed to run with less problems is causing problems.

Kernel with the new memory clock settings does not run stable at 1200MHz for me. Never ran very well at that speed anyways.

Last edited:

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
For people unable to add a google account. The gapps install ended prematurely without any indication or error!
Use the older/smaller gapps as mentioned in the second post.
DO NOT use the 20140606 release unless installing to SD card
Download: Torrent or via It Vends, Goo.im, AFH
md5: ea0894b45481c4f56e7ea43a650150c9
Only for devices with "small" /system (under 500MB)
Is there a fix to get the sdcard to work? Not being able to download anything is annoying.

logcat error:
Code:
D/dalvikvm( 7076): DexOpt: load 1669ms, verify+opt 8909ms, 5340828 bytes
W/DownloadManager( 6685): Aborting request for download 21: Failed to create target file /storage/sdcard1/Download/thanksgiving-2014-5710296937136128-res.png
I/DownloadManager( 6685): Download 21 finished with status FILE_ERROR

Mount command output:
Code:
2|[email protected]:/ $ mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/fuse tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=775,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/system /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/userdata /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom vfat rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/sys/kernel/debug /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:49 /mnt/media_rw/sdcard1 vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:49 /mnt/secure/asec vfat ro,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
[COLOR=Red] /dev/fuse /storage/sdcard1 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0[/COLOR]
/dev/block/vold/179:8 /mnt/media_rw/sdcard0 vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1023,gid=1023,fmask=0007,dmask=0007,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/sdcard0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
[email protected]:/ $

Last edited:

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
I've been trying to update my nook color from 10.2.1 to any version 11. I have wiped cache and data and still end up with 10.2. Last time I lost root and had to restore from back up.
Any help greatly appreciated. Also if you can tell me the best stable 11 for the nook I will download via browser.

Thanks for any and a inputت

ヅ Droidatar
(knows just enuf to brick it)
Rooted S4 MDK I545 stock 4.2.2

"If someone helps, never forget to hit thanks ? "

pastordl

Jun 4, 2011
NH
I've been trying to update my nook color from 10.2.1 to any version 11. I have wiped cache and data and still end up with 10.2. Last time I lost root and had to restore from back up.
Any help greatly appreciated. Also if you can tell me the best stable 11 for the nook I will download via browser.

Thanks for any and a inputت

ヅ Droidatar

Agree it sounds like the recovery. Get the latest here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2653483

Get and install cwm 6.0.5.0. This is required for the latest CM11. The snap shot M12 works great. Get it here:
http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=snapshot

Droidatar

Jan 23, 2012
Is M12 still the most stable build? For some reason I am experiencing slow performance on a fresh install.
Same here, did you find a fix? I'm looking into how to shut down background programs when I need some speed. Just install afwall so I can isolate all connections when I'm on internet. I use it on my Samsung s4 mostly for safety when I'm on public WiFi. But I need to take a close look at process too.
I have ROM toolbox pro and I'm thinking that may help. If I can configure without bricking.

ヅ Droidatar

genekellyjr

Aug 4, 2013
Managed to get this working in 2016. Many links were dead. CM11 works better than CM9/CM10 for sure. CM7.2 was smoothest but many things could no longer be connected to when running it.

On latest nightly, I disabled things and let it settle. Smoothness increased. Haven't tried apps yet.

I used the Gapps from open gapps and chose ARM + 4.4 + pico for the smallest performance impact (I'll choose what I want to destroy this old bugger). It worked as far as I can tell.

Reactions: xam247

lkraav

Feb 11, 2011
Tallinn
Managed to get this working in 2016. Many links were dead. CM11 works better than CM9/CM10 for sure. CM7.2 was smoothest but many things could no longer be connected to when running it.

Any specific magic you had to do? My NC is currently running CM10.2 and TWRP 2.3.0.2. This installation happened so long ago, can't remember details. What are the steps to get to CM11 nightly?

wizardknight

Nov 1, 2009
Seattle WA
Any specific magic you had to do? My NC is currently running CM10.2 and TWRP 2.3.0.2. This installation happened so long ago, can't remember details. What are the steps to get to CM11 nightly?

This drove me nuts at first, but if you download the nightly from here. https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=nightly
and then you need to use one of the newest recoverys like cwm 6.0.5+ or twrp 2.8.3. The others gave me errors.

Glardian

Jul 23, 2011
Reactions: fattire

Budge72

Mar 15, 2011
Dallas
I just found my old Nook Color after many years. I'd like to make it a dedicated monitor for Octoprint. I'm not sure what the best setup would be. I really just need a good browser that will allow me to check the video feed in realtime 720p. Is CM11 the best option for me?

Reactions: fattire

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
I just found my old Nook Color after many years. I'd like to make it a dedicated monitor for Octoprint. I'm not sure what the best setup would be. I really just need a good browser that will allow me to check the video feed in realtime 720p. Is CM11 the best option for me?

I would think so. keep in mind security wise it's not going to be up to date in case that matters...

Reactions: Budge72

Budge72

Mar 15, 2011
Dallas
I would think so. keep in mind security wise it's not going to be up to date in case that matters...

Not so much. What I really need is a severely trimmed down OS, with the fastest bare bones browser supported. I don't even need outside internet access...just wifi access to my router so I can control the wireless 3D printer. What browser should I use and how do I find the right version (since it's probably not current)? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NookieDevs are pleased to announce CyanogenMod 11 nightly builds for the Nook Color!

These experimental builds contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting. As CyanogenMod 11 is still under active development, regressions and general breakage are to be expected in nightly builds!

Highlights:
    • Linux kernel 3.0.101, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 11, based on Android 4.4. For Nook Color, this brings a reduced memory footprint, which leads to a better all-around user experience.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using both the GPU and the display subsystem's hardware overlay acceleration (hwcomposer).

Known issues:
    • Video playback is slower than on previous releases -- this is most noticeable when playing HD 720p video.
    • Bluetooth is broken at the moment after changes for Qualcomm Bluetooth chipsets were merged into CyanogenMod.
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.2 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
    • ART (the experimental Android runtime introduced in 4.4) is not supported -- if you enable it, your system will not boot. (Workarounds may exist, but they are not going to be officially supported either -- use them at your own risk.)

Download:
    http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=encore&type=nightly

Note that an updated recovery is required to install CM11. ClockworkMod 6.0.4.8 and newer versions should work, as should other recoveries provided the required changes are included. (Ask the maintainer of the recovery if you're not sure.) NOTE: Do not use ClockworkMod 6.0.3.x builds older than 6.0.3.6, as they contain a bug which may brick your device!

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-11.0 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-11.0 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which historically provided excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 11 Nightly Builds, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2014-01-30
    Last Updated 2014-05-15
    ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.8 (required for new CM11 nightlies)

Here's a new ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.4.8 build, including the changes required to install CM11 nightlies from May 16 or later.

This recovery is fully install-location-agnostic: it'll install to either eMMC or external SD, and operate on whatever it's installed to! (In other words: if you install it to eMMC, the format and backup/restore options will touch the eMMC installation; if you install it to SD card, they'll operate on the SD card instead.) The recovery will tell you on startup whether it's managing an eMMC or SD card install (look for the message at the bottom of the screen).

When used on eMMC, this recovery should be able to install any recent OTA package. When used on an SD card install, most recent addon packages (such as Google apps packages) should install, but only new eMMC/SD card location-agnostic ROM OTAs (such as CM11 nightlies from May 16 or later) will install successfully. (Unlike the test CWM 6.0.4.8, attempting to install an older ROM OTA package to SD card will not result in the eMMC being modified; the installation will appear to succeed, but nothing will be changed. We're still exploring ways to ensure that older OTAs fail outright.)

This is one of the last pieces of infrastructure we need in place for easier installs and single builds that install to both eMMC and SD without change.

Source: kernel (the current tip of the encore-omap3-3.0.y branch), device/bn/encore tree (the current tip of the cm-11.0 branch).

Install instructions on eMMC: flash the ZIP as you normally would.

Install instructions on SD card: first, either upgrade to a CM11 build from April 7 or later, or update the bootloader separately. Then, plug your SD card into your computer and open the ZIP there. Copy "kernel" to "uRecImg" on the first partition of the SD card, and "ramdisk-recovery.ub" to "uRecRam". (Make backup copies of those files first! If you currently have the SD card installer on the SD card, those are the boot files for the installer; if you move them to "uAltImg" and "uAltRam", respectively, you can then still access the installer by selecting "SD Card Alternate" from the Cyanoboot menu.)

Install instructions on SD card with CWM 6.0.4.8 or later already installed: just flash the ZIP from recovery.

EDIT: replaced -v2 with -v3 to fix automatic installation of OTA updates via the CM updater.
    For those that need them, here are flashable zips of CWM 6.0.4.7:
    EMMC Recovery: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/cwm-6.0.4.7-encore-signed.zip
    EMMC AltBoot: http://techerrata.com/file/eyeballer/twrp/cwm-6.0.4.7-encore-ALT-signed.zip

Also, I've built an updated TWRP 2.6.3.0 which is compatible with CM11 and would appreciate some testers to confirm everything is working, please see here and report feedback in that thread only: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=49886829
    What gets me is that encore is still in the popular CM device list, with 76,500 active users reporting in. I got mine in Nov 2010 and still have it, running KK. It started w/stock running Eclair I think (Android 2.0.x) Not a bad run.

The reason encore is still popular is cuz we have a supportive user community and some very talented developers :)
    Coming changes which might affect app compatibility

As discussed over in the dev thread, I've landed a change to only report hardware we actually have on the Nook Color in CM, which should be part of nightlies starting February 10. While this change brings us into compliance with the Android Compatibility Definition on this front, and not lying about supported hardware is probably a good idea regardless of what standards documents say, there is a possibility that some useful apps will no longer be installable on the Nook Color because of this.

Some background: back in the old days, it was necessary to do this because the CDD (written with phones in mind) required all devices to have things like a camera, microphone and GPS, and apps were written to blindly assume that they were present. Since 2.3, though, this hardware is no longer required from all Android-compatible devices, and apps are no longer supposed to assume their presence without declaring a need for them. With the proliferation of non-phone Android devices since the release of Android 4.0 (wifi-only tablets, TV set-top boxes, ovens, ...), it should no longer be necessary to lie about hardware present in order to get apps to install and run.

That said, a large majority of Android devices in the wild still do include things like a GPS and compass, so there are likely still applications out there which either blindly assume their presence or assert a need for them despite being perfectly usable without. Hopefully, there aren't any "important" apps in that set, but we're willing to consider backing out this change if the impact on app compatibility turns out to be too significant. If you find that an app you've previously installed on your device is now reported as "Not compatible with your device" by the Play Store after this change, please report it here, but also get in touch with its maintainers -- if the app can use a hardware feature, but does not require it, it should be declared as android:required="false" in the app's AndroidManifest.xml file.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone