[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 - Devil Toast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ncfastls1

Oct 27, 2010
Cary, NC
Well this really sucks. As far as the ROM goes, the only things that bother me is the audio bug when you get a text message while listening to something else, but other than that it's about perfect.

I really can't wait to get rid of my 3D. I have NEVER seen so much drama in a dev community before, it's sad and a lot of it is childish really. The OG Evo had a very large and friendly community, here not so much. Trying to resist the GSIII, I'll be waiting for the next Nexus device and hopefully things will be much better there.

FusionNeo

Jan 2, 2012
I apologize both to agrabren and to the community if any of what I said contributed to what has unfolded today. I was just trying to make users aware of their options, whilst still giving my respect to agrabren for the work he has done. If I did step on any toes and in any way contributed to what happened, I am incredibly sorry and I would like everyone to know that it was certainly not my intention. I've said this multiple times and I will say it again. I'm simple an end user who wants everyone to be aware of the options they have available so they can choose to run whatever they'd like (the more options, the merrier). I was never trying to disrespect any developer as I promise you I hold the utmost respect for any developer who attempts this, as I wouldn't have a clue on how to get started.

I have no idea if any of what I said actually helped cause this whole debacle, but if it did I am truly sorry.

Hopefully, everyone has learned something today and we can try to trudge forward with development for our devices. We have a great phone with a lot of potential... we just need the great community to back it.

phw8558

Jun 27, 2012
kzoo
A lot of us do... I bounce ROM to ROM a lot, change kernels, trying to find the best combination then let the Devs know. What I will not do is make it public, which is what was done here. I have used other kernels... but with this ROM found stability in stock.

Agreed. Did people think they were being respectful by saying stuff like "he who can not be named" and blah blah blah everyone knows who your talking about especially the dev. All you had to do was PM anyone looking for info and leave the harry potter bs somewhere else.

fourstar89

Feb 19, 2012
A hole in the desert
This truly is the saddest day ever :( been using this rom since the start hate to see it go when we almost passed the finish line. agreben ur the man never be forgotten thanks for the amazing work.

Sent from my devil toast for life

davec1234

May 22, 2010
Well this really sucks. As far as the ROM goes, the only things that bother me is the audio bug when you get a text message while listening to something else, but other than that it's about perfect.

I really can't wait to get rid of my 3D. I have NEVER seen so much drama in a dev community before, it's sad and a lot of it is childish really. The OG Evo had a very large and friendly community, here not so much. Trying to resist the GSIII, I'll be waiting for the next Nexus device and hopefully things will be much better there.

Gnex will be here tomorrow for me.
This phone has never had the development my Hero had, I can't wait to bail.

Reactions: chROMed

Scotty_Two

Dec 25, 2010
Denver, CO
scott-olsen.com
this shlt right here is what make me lose faith in the human race...scumbags

Yes, but I now respect agrabren more than ever now, as everyone else should. This was his ROM and he put up with far more than enough of the **** and drama that went on with it and decided that enough was enough, so he killed it. He didn't tuck his tail between his legs an carry on, he manned up.

Either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Props to you, agrabren. I wish you better luck on your next endeavour and hope that a future phone of mine is lucky enough to cross paths with your work.

DarkRazorZ

Mar 17, 2012
Gunsan, South Korea
www.youtube.com
I really wanted to see this ROM make it to 0.8.0 at least... I'm stuck with this phone for a very long time, I really don't want to go back to sense. Luckily 0.7.4 is pretty good for daily use, albeit no 3D and a few other things... not to forget that CM10 was making great progress.

I really hope Agrabren will change his mind, drama is a bunch of crap...

If not, hopefully somebody can pick up where he left off, or somehow port the GSM version for us. I'm sure a lot of us genuinely appreciated Agrabren's work, I never really started participating in this community until recently but I loved this ROM.

Datguy_n_Disguy

Feb 5, 2012
Ocoee, FL
Everyone blaming his abandonment on the CDMA version because of someone else should realize that "someone else's" kernel is both CDMA and GSM... Sooo...

That argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

That, and the fact that if it wasn't for us cdma users, he wouldn't be developing cm9 anyway.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

cupliz

Apr 19, 2011
Peace
So, let it be...
What done have done, world will still go around, this phone getting old, so if you have enough money its great time to change to another device.
Developers are come and go... Just like in another device development, yeah but its looks faster with all of the drama, all of us know, who has been disadvantaged.. at last we learning, and hope this drama never repeated again soon..

Regards

Sent from my PG86100

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Everyone blaming his abandonment on the CDMA version because of someone else should realize that "someone else's" kernel is both CDMA and GSM... Sooo...

That argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
You're deliberately being a troll, for no good reason, stop.

That, and the fact that if it wasn't for us cdma users, he wouldn't be developing cm9 anyway.

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
That's rich, the devs have the users to thank, yeah, that makes sense...

rgates41480

Aug 28, 2010
Cereal City, MI
Figures... finally get a phone worthy of CM9/10 and the damn dev quits. Just my luck...

Worst part is how much promise the ROM showed. I've been using 0.7.4 as my daily driver for a couple of days now, and other than a data drop here and there, its the best AOSP ROM out there. Very disappointed right now.

Tbh, the whole situation seems kind of, well, petty. Ah well, AOKP here I come.

Sent from my pissed-off, Devil-Toasted Evo V 4G using XDA

Reactions: Datguy_n_Disguy

rockypr

Apr 8, 2009
Puerto Rico
www.wrestlingdom.com
Whoa... you guys are a ****ing trolls, this guy called agraben was one of the guys that first give us ROOT for this ****ing phone.

Most of you guys doesn't even make roms, you guys continue flashing every kernel thats is online an when you brick your phone go crying to your mother so can she buy you a new phone.

Good job Agraben, and thanks for all your support here, my evo 3d died a few weeks ago and it was replaced for a E4GT, but i appreciate all your hard work

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Last edited:

dr_acula_sxe

Sep 12, 2010
Yes, but I now respect agrabren more than ever now, as everyone else should. This was his ROM and he put up with far more than enough of the **** and drama that went on with it and decided that enough was enough, so he killed it. He didn't tuck his tail between his legs an carry on, he manned up.

Either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Props to you, agrabren. I wish you better luck on your next endeavour and hope that a future phone of mine is lucky enough to cross paths with your work.

Don't get me wrong I have A LOT of respect for agrabren and what he has done. I think he has some big a$$ balls for walking away. But people need to have common sense and respect

Sent from my aokp_tenderloin using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Datguy_n_Disguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 9 - Devil Toast​

Discontinued​

Last version: 0.7.4​

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * Your warranty is now likely void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * spontaneous combustion, or any other host of cosmic penalties
     * which may befall you, your family, or your phone.
     */

What works:
    • 2D Rear Camera
    • Front Camera
    • Phone calls
    • Wifi
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth Phone
    • Bluetooth A2DP
    • WiMAX
    • Car Dock
    • Torch from the notification bar
    • USB Mass Storage
    • Basically, most functionality

What doesn't work:
    • Bluetooth occasionally has issues if the phone is in sleep
    • 3D
    • HDMI output
    • Reports of radio drop-outs/reboots (may be radio firmware related)
    • Audio Ducking issue

Downloads:

Toolchain: GCC ARM version 4.4.3
    Kernel Source: https://github.com/agrabren/android_kernel_htc_shooter

Special Thanks:
    • First, and foremost, ToastCFH, who the build is named after, and who brought us WiMAX
    • Binux-Project, for the amazing 3D Boot Animation
    • TeamEVO, who made the original 3.0 kernel for the EVO 3D
    • Eyeballer and TeamWin for their support and their CM9 nightlies
    • DigitalHigh for helping me make this possible
    • My wife, who has tolerated all the time I've been putting into this
    • And HTC, who made a great phone, and has (not always happily) given us the ability to make it greater.

HTC EVO V users (Virgin Mobile)
    Attention Virgin Mobile users: In order to run devil's toast on the Evo V you must downgrade your hboot to 1.04. This can be done by visiting http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/594152-hboot-downgrade-working-aosp-gb-roms.htmlhttp://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/594152-hboot-downgrade-working-aosp-gb-roms.html and following the instructions posted in the OP. Credit to krowley3 for testing and unknownforce for the hboot. Note: to my knowledge this downgrade has only been attempted on phones with hboot version 1.57.
    Credit to phw8558 for digging this up and verifying it works.

Build Versions:
    0.7.4:
    • Fixed camera and general instability
    0.7.3:
    • Temporarily removed overclock as it prevented devices from booting
    0.7.2:
    • USB performance: Verified fixed
    • Videos discolored: Verified fixed
    • SMS Split: Verified fixed
    • 3D videos in 2D support: Verified fixed
    • Bluetooth issue: Verified fixed
    • Overclocking supported (Ported from coolexe)
    • Multiple Governors available (Ported from MikeC84)
    • USB OTG enabled
    0.7.1:
    • Fixed touch screen calibration issue
    • Fixed USB Mass Storage
    • Integrated fix for GSM phones button backlight
    0.7:
    • New kernel! Based on the HTC EVO 3D GSM source tree, it's faster, better, more powerful!
    • Phantom Voicemail Fix is back in
    • New 3D Boot Animation - Thanks to Binux-Project
    0.6:
    • More fixes to try and resolve data drop issues
    0.5:
    • Attempts at resolving data drop issues
    0.4:
    • Added proc/sysinfo support for Boot Manager (and other tools)
    • Torch added
    • Incorporated new graphics blobs
    0.3:
    • Added qs_s5k4e1 sensor driver for Camera
    • Add deep sleep to BlueTooth
    • Removed kernel signing code on Camera
    0.2:
    • Enabled BlueTooth
    • Removed the kernel signing requirement
    • Front Facing Camera
    • Misc stability improvements
    0.1:
    • Initial release
    Development of the CDMA version of this ROM has been discontinued.
    Developer Update: So things are going to be getting better about releases, both effort and quality. I've finished forking the entire CM repo into a local system, and once I've verified that my build systems can build everything from source, I'll be able to get everything cleaned up and not worry about accidentally clobbering something in the CM trunk (which I accidentally did the other night). I'll also be getting CM10 up with the system, but that'll take a few extra days (one thing at a time).

Because of this change, I'm also going to be able to track which changes break which features, and release two types of builds... Daily and Nightly. ;) The daily ROM will only occur when the ROM has a high enough quality to be a daily driver for everyone. This means no known regressions (like camera). To get there, some people will need to give the Nightly builds a go. Once enough people thumbs-up a nightly build, the code for that nightly (and all prior changes) will be moved into the mainline. I'll work in feature branches, as I've been doing for the kernel on my private server.

So believe me, I'm really trying to reduce the number of regressions we get, and improve the quality, without forcing me to take a bunch of time to do things. It also means I can automate the pushing of released kernels to github, and I can automate the uploading of new ROM builds, so people don't need to wait for me to get back to my PC to upload once a build is complete.
    Developer update: I'm still working on things, but it's gotten slow for a few days due to personal life and work life both needing more of my attention. I am actively working on getting 3D videos and camera working, and have gotten some level of success (I've actually watched a YouTube video in 3D correctly, without having to do anything extra). To understand why that's not enough to give out, once playback is done (or you hit 'home') the screen locks up and you need to do a reboot via ADB. So needless to say, not ready. I've also got some great things coming in the kernel, some of which I've tested, some haven't been tested yet. But again, can't really say anything more at this moment. So here's a list of what I'm working on, and why it's taking time...

1. Touchscreen issue: While mostly resolved, it could be better. I could solve this in the kernel, but because I'm still getting accused of not releasing my kernel source, despite it being in the OP, I'm reluctant to offer any additional fixes to the kernel. Instead, I'll be fixing this in user-space, which actually is a better place for the fix anyway (although a bit trickier so that it always works, not just when you use the default lockscreen).

2. Bluetooth issue: I believe I know how to fix this, but haven't had the cycles yet. Definitely on my top priority list, because it's annoying.

3. Audio issues: I want to tackle these as well before releasing my next drop, but haven't begun debugging them yet.

4. 3D support: Obviously, I'm working on this. I want this. I want to be able to take 3D pictures and videos of my kids with my phone. I want to be able to watch 3D content and show it to people.

5. Camera issues: I've tracked down what causes apps like barcode scanner and face unlock to have random issues, and I want to get this fixed. I want camera to "just work".

6. SMS Split: I believe I've fixed this. Have not verified yet.

7. USB performance: I haven't investigated, but I'd likely wait until after 0.8 drops before starting this debugging.

8. Tethering: Again, this is an issue which we don't yet have a root cause, although I've done a decent amount of debugging of it. Again, likely a post 0.8 drop.

So, that's my issue list and what I'm tackling. Not the easiest work to do, but I believe it's still worth it, even though MIUI will be built on Sense going forward (which is what started this work in the first place).

As for Jelly Bean: It uses a unified kernel which I haven't released my source for yet, so I haven't released a ROM to play with yet. It has an issue with the microphone which causes all kinds of ugly crashing, but everything else in the baseline works fine. It's also close to having camera work, but again, I'm focused at the moment on ICS, not JB. The port between the two will be much more trivial than what we're currently doing.
    This is the point where I tell you that I just made my first Bluetooth Phone Call with Devil Toast running 3.0.16. :)

** EDIT **
    And *that* would be WiMAX connected.