• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] CyanogenMod - Scary experimental builds! [UPDATED 6/30 - v3.5.3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cyanogen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
This is a new thread for a new "experimental" line of CM builds since the old thread is gigantic now.

If you want a *stable* version of this rom, go here! This thread is for the brave testers who want to live on the edge, and help build a new "stable" release. I can't test everything on my own, so I need help from the XDA community!

*** DISCLAIMER ***
While this build is heavily optimized, it is also capable of pushing your G1 much harder. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it!

Please also read the FAQ in the thread listed above. This is not a thread for asking questions about how to partition your SD card, GMail timeouts, or installing a recovery image.

(v3.5.3 - experimental, updated 6/30):
ROM Image: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-3.5.3-signed.zip
MD5Sum: 181d1d63d4d7f8526afc9c54f6ed948d

Theme Template (for theme developers): http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/template-cm-3.5.2-signed.zip
MD5Sum: 2e95fae7848985bed6bf7200f89e7bff

Build Environment (if you don't know what this is, don't download it): http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/cm-android-buildenv-3.5.2.tar.bz2
MD5Sum: 3cbe6fef3433db2939df2aa61e6fa1f8

Audio Resources (unzip to your sdcard): http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/audio-resources.zip
MD5Sum: 7340ba86ddd4fba918ef97601c675ef9

Changes in v3.5.3
* Dalvik patches from master (actually tested!)
* Update wpa_supplicant from master
* Update Freetype to 2.3.9 (nicer font hinting) (being reverted for next release)
* Multithreaded A2DP from master (should reduce skipping)
* Minor kernel tweaks
* Include AUFS as a module by request
* Fix lock screen glitches and shrink battery icons
* KNOWN BUG - PDFViewer & NDK apps crash (grab /system/lib/libsgl.so from an old version for a quick fix)
* KNOWN BUG - Lock screen still doesn't update correctly

Changes in v3.5.2
* Ditch SquashFS on /system/lib because of performance
* Clean up the lock screen a bit, new icons, etc
* Patch AlarmClock so it doesn't lose snoozes
* If /system/sd/userinit.sh exists, execute it after a2sd setup

Changes in v3.5.1
* Add missing netfilter kernel modules and apply backported ext4 fixes
* Included Stericson's spiffy lock screen
* Some settings enhancements- show mod version and don't allow SD unmount when A2SD is active
* Switched to squashfs instead of cramfs
* /system/lib is now on squashfs, saving TONS of space (first boot of system is a little slower though)
* Tweak some cpufreq settings
* Disabled camera noise in libcameraservice since the HTC camera does it internally.

Changes in v3.5
* Kernel 2.6.29
* Revert vold hack to default, for now.

Last edited:

cyanogen

Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
testing it now. any reason the theme won't work? if not I'll flash straight into it.

No reason, the only real change in this build is the kernel. What I'm primarily interested to know is if this ROM solves the so-called "coma" issue that some people are experiencing. And if not, hopefully we can do some tweaking here to solve it without destabilizing the 3.4 branch which works great for most folks.

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
Does it support ext4? Is there a way to convert without having to reformat the partition?

What are the advantages of ext4?

cyanogen

Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
Does it support ext4? Is there a way to convert without having to reformat the partition?

Yes, it does support ext4. I am currently running it. I also included the newer e2fsprogs if you want to upgrade, but I am not going to force anyone into that. EXT4 has some nice stuff like delayed allocation which can save wear on your device. Google will tell you how to upgrade with tune2fs, if you want. The e2fsprogs in my 1.2 recovery don't currently support the required options, so you'd have to stop the runtime, unmount and run the commands. I'll add the new version in the next recovery release.

Last edited:

renegadedj

Jan 18, 2008
Whittier, California
No reason, the only real change in this build is the kernel. What I'm primarily interested to know is if this ROM solves the so-called "coma" issue that some people are experiencing. And if not, hopefully we can do some tweaking here to solve it without destabilizing the 3.4 branch which works great for most folks.

thats what i'm talking about. effing go-getters here i'm luvin' it. and big thanks to KNK. biggest brain i know.

question, and i'm just purely throwing something out there cuz i have'nt dont much reading on it, or tried fully understanding it, but if there is apps2sd, can there possibly be themes2sd? and if there was no sd it would revert to the rom on the phone safely?

Denkai

May 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
OnePlus 8T
Yes, it does support ext4. I am currently running it. I also included the newer e2fsprogs if you want to upgrade, but I am not going to force anyone into that. EXT4 has some nice stuff like delayed allocation which can save wear on your device. Google will tell you how to upgrade with tune2fs, if you want. The e2fsprogs in my 1.2 recovery don't currently support the required options, so you'd have to stop the runtime, unmount and run the commands. I'll add the new version in the next recovery release.

okay, I stand corrected. I knew the kernal could do it, however I hadn't heard anything about you actually incorperating it into the file system. is it possible to run all that through the phone itself or do you have to adb into it?

Denkai

May 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
OnePlus 8T
thats what i'm talking about. effing go-getters here i'm luvin' it. and big thanks to KNK. biggest brain i know.

question, and i'm just purely throwing something out there cuz i have'nt dont much reading on it, or tried fully understanding it, but if there is apps2sd, can there possibly be themes2sd? and if there was no sd it would revert to the rom on the phone safely?
uh, no? if you did that, and the sd card was removed, the theme and Ahome files required to operate would not be there, and you'd crash. as it is set up, you can remove your sdcard right now and not crash your phone.

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD

I would not suggest ext4 with 2.6.29, especially considering android does not remount RO and shutdown cleanly. For that matter there is nothing to speak of that is useful in an environment like the G1.

Performance of ext4 is not terribly different from ext3. Large file size/directory depth improvements are pointless on the G1. Online defrag also pointless for flash. About the only feature I can think of that is useful would be journal checksumming.

Better to wait for 2.6.30 kernels on android and even then it is debatable.

cyanogen

Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
I would not suggest ext4 with 2.6.29, especially considering android does not remount RO and shutdown cleanly. For that matter there is nothing to speak of that is useful in an environment like the G1.

Performance of ext4 is not terribly different from ext3. Large file size/directory depth improvements are pointless on the G1. Online defrag also pointless for flash. About the only feature I can think of that is useful would be journal checksumming.

Better to wait for 2.6.30 kernels on android and even then it is debatable.

My ROM is modified to do a remount ro at shutdown :)

Status
Not open for further replies.