Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

rickac

Aug 18, 2009
google .apk files

when the barebones rom comes out is there anything stoping us from rooting our phone pulling the gmail, youtube ..etc .apk and installing them on the barebones build?

aryndar

Jun 27, 2009
Statement from Google

A Note on Google Apps for Android

Posted by Dan Morrill on 25 September 2009 at 2:31 PM
Lately we've been busy bees in Mountain View, as you can see from the recent release of Android 1.6 to the open-source tree, not to mention some devices we're working on with partners that we think you'll really like. Of course, the community isn't sitting around either, and we've been seeing some really cool and impressive things, such as the custom Android builds that are popular with many enthusiasts. Recently there's been some discussion about an exchange we had with the developer of one of those builds, and I've noticed some confusion around what is and isn't part of Android's open source code. I want to take a few moments to clear up some of those misconceptions, and explain how Google's apps for Android fit in.

Everyone knows that mobile is a big deal, but for a long time it was hard to be a mobile app developer. Competing interests and the slow pace of platform innovation made it hard to create innovative apps. For our part, Google offers a lot of services — such as Google Search, Google Maps, and so on — and we found delivering those services to users' phones to be a very frustrating experience. But we also found that we weren't alone, so we formed the Open Handset Alliance, a group of like-minded partners, and created Android to be the platform that we all wished we had. To encourage broad adoption, we arranged for Android to be open-source. Google also created and operates Android Market as a service for developers to distribute their apps to Android users. In other words, we created Android because the industry needed an injection of openness. Today, we're thrilled to see all the enthusiasm that developers, users, and others in the mobile industry have shown toward Android.

With a high-quality open platform in hand, we then returned to our goal of making our services available on users' phones. That's why we developed Android apps for many of our services like YouTube, Gmail, Google Voice, and so on. These apps are Google's way of benefiting from Android in the same way that any other developer can, but the apps are not part of the Android platform itself. We make some of these apps available to users of any Android-powered device via Android Market, and others are pre-installed on some phones through business deals. Either way, these apps aren't open source, and that's why they aren't included in the Android source code repository. Unauthorized distribution of this software harms us just like it would any other business, even if it's done with the best of intentions.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion around Google's apps for Android. We always love seeing novel uses of Android, including custom Android builds from developers who see a need. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/note-on-google-apps-for-android.html

Follow up @ Official statement from Google regarding the Cyanogen controvery with xda.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=564623

Last edited:

elzee

Jul 6, 2009
Sydney
Either way, these apps aren't open source, and that's why they aren't included in the Android source code repository. Unauthorized distribution of this software harms us just like it would any other business, even if it's done with the best of intentions.

I just don't understand how supplying these apps in developers mods, that ALREADY RESIDE on the phones we own, is harming you in any way?

We always love seeing novel uses of Android, including custom Android builds from developers who see a need.

Novel? How can developers build new ROMS without the ability to use the very tools you have supplied to connect with your services?

I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Next? I can tell you what comes next with the use of a simple four letter word!

BING!

Last edited:

rickac

Aug 18, 2009
You could, but its not quite that easy. You'd need the frameworks etc or there'd be no contact sync etc.

so the know how is there just a matter of time before the how-to guide is out. sounds to me as long as cyanogen supports the barebones then Google's C&D is just going to be a little speed bump.

johnt2k

Jun 11, 2009
You could, but its not quite that easy. You'd need the frameworks etc or there'd be no contact sync etc.

well tmobile has their own contact sync app so if you update with that before going to the next rom you should be ok aslong as we can find a way to get that app onto the new rom we wont even need their sync

Chosen_on184

Jul 27, 2009
Anyone having problems with there notification and ringtones? Sorry if this has been posted before but theres been so much in this thread recently about Google being tards its hard to search.
Flashed to cyanogens 4.11.1 ROM last night and my ringer and notification ringer became the camera shutter sound. I changed them back to the two that came with the ROM and rebooted. The ringtone works now but the notification is still the shutter sound. Any suggestions?
I did not wipe before install. Coming from 4.04
if at first it doesnt work without a wipe ..... wipe and flash again..... it wont hurt and if anything you have the stable version zip in case it doesnt work out the way you like and you can flash back to that

Markus214

Jan 22, 2009
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 2 XL
I am on the current 4.1.11.1 ROM of cyans and just want to let people know download cyans updater and displayall builds even expiremental youcan still download and install his builds from there shhhhh

THE LEGEND LIVES ON!

X-i-phoner

Aug 25, 2009
Boise, ID
if at first it doesnt work without a wipe ..... wipe and flash again..... it wont hurt and if anything you have the stable version zip in case it doesnt work out the way you like and you can flash back to that

Will do..... just trying to avoid wipe. I am pretty far on some games and dont have partitions yet (my comp is old and tarded Ubuntu wont burn on cd and SDK wont even consider trying to work). Im rooting a friends G1 tonight and Im going to try Dusty's meathod for partion while I have it.
BTW thanks

IConrad01

Mar 13, 2009
To X-i-phoner

If you're worried about losing your game data when you do a wipe, you could try figuring out what the relevant files are for a given app from the terminal, and then using
Code:
find / | grep ~SEARCHTEXTGOESHERE~
in order to locate the proper files. Once you find that, it's as simple as a single "cp" command to get those datas into a back-up-able state.

falsehope

May 29, 2009
Bing go is the name oh!

Long live CyanogenMod!

Down with Google and all they stand for!

I will now go do what I hoped i would never do, HotMail.... here i come.

BING BING BING BING!

thats the sound that my new search engine makes.

My next phone will NOT HAVE GOOGLE!

Last edited:

tazz9690

May 9, 2009
South Windsor
Long live CyanogenMod!

BING BING BING BING!

Cyanogen, this is for you. Downloaded and flashed your latest CyanogenMod. Love your work. We support you 100%. We appreciate all you have done for us buddy. Keep your head up. Cheers.

tazz9690

May 9, 2009
South Windsor
Long live CyanogenMod!

BING BING BING BING!

Cyanogen, this is for you. Downloaded and flashed your latest CyanogenMod. Love your work. We support you 100%. We appreciate all you have done for us buddy. Keep your head up. Cheers.

ultma75

Jun 22, 2009
Houston, Texas
Cyanogen,
just let me know if you plan to work on any other phone brands to make custom roms, because love your custom roms to go back to stock now. F**K Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this thread is to test out a new "experimental" series of ROMs. It is very possible that installing something from this thread will render your phone unusable. This build is picking up where 4.0.4 left off and will eventually become 4.2.

This is Android 1.6 (Donut).

Two rules for posting in this thread:

1. READ THE FRAKKING CHANGELOG
    2. Then read this: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

* Please don't install anything you find here unless you want to help test and know what you are doing. Questions about GMail timeouts or your Market apps not updating will be ignored (not that they are broken in this build, but that the chance of it being ROM-related is almost nil). Use the stable version instead!

* Always run a Nandroid backup before flashing anything you find here.

* DO NOT post in this thread any one-liners like "okay flashing now!". I'm not trying to be a jerk, but these threads move fast and we need to minimize the clutter. It's very possible that you will be banned if a mod sees this.

* This is not the right thread for discussing compcache and swap-related things!

* If you have installed a theme, your "warranty" is null and void! Don't post bugs here if you have installed a theme. And don't pretend like you haven't installed a theme just so you can waste people's time. That also goes for anything else you flash on top of the ROM that messes with the framework, like HTC Music. Just reinstall the ROM and try to reproduce your issue (and provide a log!!)

Code:
    #include <std/disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * While this build is heavily optimized, it is also capable of pushing your G1
     * much harder. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some
     * research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modificiations, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

With that out of the way..
    READ & POST ONLY ISSUES.
    HE OR SHE THAT ASKS QUESTIONS ALREADY ASKED OR THAT ARE IN THE CHANGE LOG. (Next Post)
    WILL BE BANNED..............
    Think before you post, warning issued!!!!
    Per: Mikey

(v4.1.11.1 - experimental version, updated 9/18):
    Download: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/experimental/update-cm-4.1.11.1-signed.zip
    MD5Sum: c60a30289a6c06c47df3f5bd7fc802fc

Theme Template - v4.1.11.1 (for crazy theme developers):
    Download: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/experimental/template-cm-4.1.11.1-signed.zip
    MD5Sum: 01f64990d13c25246c35e03a449f9548

Code Repository on GitHub: http://github.com/cyanogen

If anyone is bored, knows Java & Android, and wants to help, I take patches!

haykuro said:
    add 2 different system folders into your updates, 1 contains a plethora of beastiality and the other is the real image, have it run a small binary that gets a random number, if the number is divisible by 3 it gives you bad rom
    I noticed on v3.9.3 it drains the battery very much quicker :/ anyone notice this?
    This has happened to me twice, and as far as i can tell, it wasn't due to any fiddling of firmwares. Both times it happened, I had been snapping pictures throughout the day. I forget exactly what happened the first time, but the more recent time I just went to take a picture and it said to insert an sd card. When i looked at my gallery it showed only grey placeholder thumbnails. I thought maybe the microsd had dislodged so i shutdown, made sure it was inserted and rebooted only to discover about 10 days of photos were gone.

Both times it happened to me, it wasn't just my pictures or videos that were deleted. It seemed that most all recent files on the fat32 partiton were wiped. Oddly enough, some pctures did survive and these were older than some of the files that got wiped. Additionally, many remaining files seem to still show up, but they are actually 0b empty files.

hmm last time i lost my pictures it was only from the DCIM folder, this time it was DCIM and the 2 newest pictures in my downloads folder. but ive never noticed anything missing besides images. maybe its a bug in the gallery app. culd it have been caused by unplugign the USB without unmounting?
    Global search is a massive chunk of Donut code that is all thru the framework. I started trying to make it work but there are just too many changes.

How about making the donut branch the next experimental once the current experimental becomes 4.0?

Also, the debate about the new or old Launcher just made me wonder if it would be possible to run

/sdcard/pre_install.sh and
    /sdcard/post_install.sh

before and after flashing updates (if they exist), respectively.

This way, you could have the .apk for the new Launcher on your sd and have the post_install.sh override the installed launcher with the new one.

You could also do a backup of some data folders & complete whipe before flashing and then restoring the data after flashing.

I know this is kinda off-topic here and should be moved over to the CM Recovery thread, I just wanted to point this out so everyone can have his/her favorite launcher...
    The only issue I am having is Dismissing a calendar reminder. I pull the notification drawer down, hit the event, click Dismiss and it force-closes but doesnt dismiss the event and the notification stays in the drawer. I have to just clear the notifications list for it to go away.

I also use Dataviz RoadSync and its calendar does not have the same issue.