[ROM][DEV] CM 11.0 Nightlies for VZW VS980

Search This thread

maniac3221

Jul 15, 2010
In response to audio "crackling"

I listen to music almost everyday on my bus ride into work and have notice that even with Viper if I turn up my sound all the way maxed there will still be a distortion in the music. It was even more noticeable when playing my music through my bluetooth. I found that turning it down about half way and using the Viper app I could play with the Gain and Loudness settings to output the audio properly.

I am not a coding ninja and am still a novice when it comes to the android system files, but do dabble in some coding. Does anyone know where the drivers would be that interface with the audio hardware in the G2? In addition is there a "system" gain setting?

From all the comments and my own experience it just seems that the system is outputting distorted sound when the system volume is cranked.

KayIslandDrunk

May 11, 2012
I listen to music almost everyday on my bus ride into work and have notice that even with Viper if I turn up my sound all the way maxed there will still be a distortion in the music. It was even more noticeable when playing my music through my bluetooth. I found that turning it down about half way and using the Viper app I could play with the Gain and Loudness settings to output the audio properly.

I am not a coding ninja and am still a novice when it comes to the android system files, but do dabble in some coding. Does anyone know where the drivers would be that interface with the audio hardware in the G2? In addition is there a "system" gain setting?

From all the comments and my own experience it just seems that the system is outputting distorted sound when the system volume is cranked.

I'm confused, would you expect absolutely no distortion when setting the volume to 100%?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

kirch21

Feb 2, 2009
I did the same thing.
I traded my note 2 for a S4 and now am on the LG G2 and couldn't be happier.
The buttons take a little getting used to , but knock on and knock off help a lot with that.

thanks alot, literally took the exact same steps. I thought the S4 would be un upgrade from the note 2... not so much. I ordered my G2 yesterday excited to get some CM11 going again.

maniac3221

Jul 15, 2010
I'm confused, would you expect absolutely no distortion when setting the volume to 100%?

I would not expect any if you have a great pair of headphones they should be able to take it ( your phone isn't that powerful). It just sounds like the amplification process is causing the distortion. My only reasoning for this is because by using Viper, I can listen to my music at MUCH higher volumes with out distortion by adjusting their Gains and reducing the phone's system volume.

To me it would seem that there just needs to be some tweaking between the interface of the LG components and the audio output.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

KayIslandDrunk

May 11, 2012
I would not expect any if you have a great pair of headphones they should be able to take it ( your phone isn't that powerful). It just sounds like the amplification process is causing the distortion.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app

It has nothing to do with your headphones. Read this and scroll down to the digital clipping section. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

maniac3221

Jul 15, 2010
It has nothing to do with your headphones. Read this and scroll down to the digital clipping section. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

I am agreeing with you that it is independent of the headphones. The root cause of the this issue must be in the drivers/system. You should be able to tweak those so that when you have your volume at 100% the signal leaving is not distorted.

So to my previous question, do you know where these are in the CM build?

Last edited:

KayIslandDrunk

May 11, 2012
I am agreeing with you that it is independent of the headphones. The root cause of the this issue must be in the drivers/system. You should be able to tweak those so that when you have your volume at 100% the signal leaving is not distorted.

Just use viper to do that. That's what I do.

Xyriin

May 21, 2012
Virginia Beach
I am running 1/23 and have made phone calls up to an hour.

If the phone does not reboot, will it recover after some time?

Most of the time I needed to call back, the longest I waited was something in the range of 2-3 minutes, but that was only on one occasion. The rest of the times on waiting I'd see the LG logo popup from a reboot. But no, never had it recover.

polaric

Oct 23, 2013
Mechanicsburg
play.google.com
Off topic, but out of curiosity, I wonder if they ever plan on updating CM's default SMS app to KitKat standards. I know Google dropped development for the AOSP one, but call me crazy, I like the default cyanogen one far more than anything else, it just needs a KitKat facelift.

Sent from my LG G2

bose301s

Mar 3, 2010
Carrboro, NC
Off topic, but out of curiosity, I wonder if they ever plan on updating CM's default SMS app to KitKat standards. I know Google dropped development for the AOSP one, but call me crazy, I like the default cyanogen one far more than anything else, it just needs a KitKat facelift.

Sent from my LG G2
I agree, I also prefer the stock Messaging app, I hope they keep it around.

xI mEzMeRiZe Ix

Jun 6, 2011

Sent from my LG G2

Possibly. They've already started their own replacement for the Gallery app. Maybe they'll start replacing all the AOSP apps Google abandons.

met152

Apr 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Several issues on 1/23 nightly

I'm on 1/23 nightly. Paek v5.2 kernel.
Settings:
Read ahead buffer 2048, noop
min 300000, max 2265600, ondemand (powersavebias 25), multicore power saving 1, MPU voltages -40,

I'm having 3 problems on the 1/23 nightly.

1. phone app - When I touch the number pad icon, get white space at bottom instead of getting the dialer numbers and the 3 icons disappear (history, dialer and menu), touch white area again and buttons come back, touch keypad icon and dialer numbers appear as expected.

2. Tried playing video and even though sound was turned to lowest setting or even off, the volume was on almost full blast. (this may be related to the audio problems that others are having)

3. Sync seems to "turn off" occasionally even though it's enabled. What I mean is that even though background data and sync are enabled, push notiifications like gmail and google voice won't come in unless I manually refresh. A quick enabling then disabling of airplane mode fixes it and restores proper push notifications.

jordanl17

Mar 27, 2007
3. Sync seems to "turn off" occasionally even though it's enabled. What I mean is that even though background data and sync are enabled, push notiifications like gmail and google voice won't come in unless I manually refresh. A quick enabling then disabling of airplane mode fixes it and restores proper push notifications.

YES! that's what i'm banging my head against the wall about! Is it possible background data is doing something funky and throwing off my Activesync? I think so. Like you said Airplane mode off then on. boom. everything is there. I don't get enough gmails to notice the delay, but I do notice with my exchange 2010 Activesync account. sometimes instant email, sometimes NEVER. sometimes 30 seconds.. WTF!

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
YES! that's what i'm banging my head against the wall about! Is it possible background data is doing something funky and throwing off my Activesync? I think so. Like you said Airplane mode off then on. boom. everything is there. I don't get enough gmails to notice the delay, but I do notice with my exchange 2010 Activesync account. sometimes instant email, sometimes NEVER. sometimes 30 seconds.. WTF!

Yeah think I'm experiencing this also. I'll reboot or something for whatever reason and notice I have 6 or 7 emails.

beddachedda

Jul 29, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I'm on 1/23 nightly. Paek v5.2 kernel.

2. Tried playing video and even though sound was turned to lowest setting or even off, the volume was on almost full blast. (this may be related to the audio problems that others are having)

Paek kernel issue. This happened to me as well and I reverted to stock kernel and all was well.

on 1/27 right now and its infinitely more stable than 1/25 (aka 3 reboots vs 0) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for discussion of the nightlies only from http://www.get.cm

Where to get info:
    A good place to discuss in real-time is IRC at channel #lg-g2 on freenode

You can follow me on:
    Google+: https://plus.google.com/114860410994043943287
    Twitter: @dalingrin
    Google+ is preferred but I will cross post to twitter as well.

Known issues:
    -While LG's knock on feature works, knock off does not work yet.(A simple work around is go to the settings and add a "go to sleep" quick settings tile)

Installation:
    Instructions will be up soon at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org
    Must have CWM or TWRP 2.6.3.3 or newer already installed
    If flashing from a LG based rom then you must wipe the /data​

Download:
    Vs980 now has cm11 branch ...i smell nightlies :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They should start tomorrow
    seems like there hasnt been too much development recently for this rom on this device. there is the G2 xposed module that enables the double tap of the status bar, but it makes the status bar buggy all together

...I'm not going to implement it in 4.3. Work is primarily moving to 4.4.

I posted over in the cm site forums about our issues and possible lack of a maintainer. Cm team member @ciwrl responded that he would be looking into it. I also noted @JackpotClavin's work and the major breakthroughs he has accomplished. This is at least a step forward.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
    I tried the 11/26 CM11 unofficial nightly and had some stability issues (most likely due to the kernel legacy code Dalingrin referenced). When running certain games such as Epoch or Injustice (Unreal engine may be a specific factor), the audio will begin to glitch during play, and eventually the program freezes, but does not force close. you can actually switch programs, or go home, return to the game and it will still be frozen. I noticed similar issues running the Gummy preview.

Not griping, I understand that things are still Alpha, but I haven't seen anyone post these specific issues. Thanks for all the hard work Dalingrin (fan from the HP TP days).

Yes, it could be the legacy code.
    Keep in mind that I posted the CM11 build as just a preview. I suspect most folks will want to wait until we get rid of the legacy code and also wait until more features are merged into CM11. Once we update the kernel, quite a lot of behind the scenes code will also change with it. So, the issue you ran into might be fixed along the way.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone