• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM DEV] Froyo AOSP 2.2 (Vote to close the thread or continue with a generic AOSP)

Close the thread or make a generic Froyo AOSP 2.2 ROM?

• Close the thread since we have Cyanogenmod 2.2

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Continue the thread with a generic Froyo AOSP 2.2

Votes: 114 67.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zenulator

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 12, 2009
Awesome! After using Darchstar for a while, I've really grown to like pure AOSP. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Darch didn't go that route with Froyo as well.

I assume the same bugs would be present in whatever you post as are currently in the Cyanogenmod ROM?

Yes there will be the same bugs. It will just be a build from the AOSP branch with google ****z optional. Nothing against cyanogen and crew they do great work but I've always preferred generic no nonsense aosp roms. I'll to do some more testing on it and put it up for anyone that wants to use it.

myke66

Dec 13, 2009
Yes there will be the same bugs. It will just be a build from the AOSP branch with google ****z optional. Nothing against cyanogen and crew they do great work but I've always preferred generic no nonsense aosp roms. I'll to do some more testing on it and put it up for anyone that wants to use it.

Man i couldnt agree with you more. My ideal rom is one stripped down completely. I can customize it how i like from there, but ive hated sense since 1.5. Looking forward to a true barebones 2.2.

zenulator

Apr 12, 2009
I'm going to wait until everything is fully functional before putting anything up if I do at all. For my own sanity. Also I added a poll to help me decide.

Last edited:

darchstar

Dec 6, 2009
Awesome! After using Darchdroid for a while, I've really grown to like pure AOSP. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Darch didn't go that route with Froyo as well.

I assume the same bugs would be present in whatever you post as are currently in the Cyanogenmod ROM?

Just to clarify things, Darchdroid is Cyanogenmod also. And to further continue Cyanogenmod is AOSP. Its not too confusing of a topic. Cyanogenmod is just AOSP with extra mods to enhance the user experience. If you want AOSP without any mods to enhance the User experience, then fine, Zenulator can make you a build. but i honestly think its a waste of time, as it'll be just my rom with less features.

davec1234

May 22, 2010
Just to clarify things, Darchdroid is Cyanogenmod also. And to further continue Cyanogenmod is AOSP. Its not too confusing of a topic. Cyanogenmod is just AOSP with extra mods to enhance the user experience. If you want AOSP without any mods to enhance the User experience, then fine, Zenulator can make you a build. but i honestly think its a waste of time, as it'll be just my rom with less features.

How close are you to a complete ROM,
minus the camera issue, of course? Meaning all fixes included in the ROM.

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
I dont think its about modding anything better then anyone else. Its the same concept "why the hell would someone use the stock sprint rom with few modifications compared to damagecontrol." Some people like the basic standard rom, and it gives one more option in whats available.
I dont see anything wrong with a pure aosp rom and i dont understand why anyone would be against it.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA App

cp0020

Sep 2, 2009
atlanta
i say if zen wants to make a stripped out froyo aosp then go for it. let him make it. lets say there are 2 people. the first person has darch's froyo on his phone and it runs great! but the 2nd person runs like crap with darch's froyo on it. then the 2nd person can try zen's build and see if it runs better on his phone. i say the more roms the better. give people options. if you dont like a certain rom then fine, just look past it. "options" people!

MallardDuck

Jun 19, 2009
Lansing
I must be confused, I thought that Zen wasn't doing dev work for the Hero anymore? Also, i thought that Cyanogenmod was pretty much just AOSP with a touch of extra functions built in?

darchstar

Dec 6, 2009
i say if zen wants to make a stripped out froyo aosp then go for it. let him make it. lets say there are 2 people. the first person has darch's froyo on his phone and it runs great! but the 2nd person runs like crap with darch's froyo on it. then the 2nd person can try zen's build and see if it runs better on his phone. i say the more roms the better. give people options. if you dont like a certain rom then fine, just look past it. "options" people!

I personally don't care what people do with their free time. If Zenulator wants to follow up with an aosp built from android.git.kernel.org, go ahead. The point I'm trying to make is that I KNOW it's not going to bring anything new at all to the table. what is something new without any innovation? in my opinion, a waste of time.

And with that, whatever i have to say about this matter is purely my opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to take my side on the matter. just offering my views on this.

Also, i thought that Cyanogenmod was pretty much just AOSP with a touch of extra functions built in?

Thats exactly what my argument is trying to stress :)

ARoiD

Mar 31, 2010
I personally don't care what people do with their free time. If Zenulator wants to follow up with an aosp built from android.git.kernel.org, go ahead. The point I'm trying to make is that I KNOW it's not going to bring anything new at all to the table. what is something new without any innovation? in my opinion, a waste of time.

And with that, whatever i have to say about this matter is purely my opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to take my side on the matter. just offering my views on this.

Thats exactly what my argument is :)

amen there's no need for copying n pasting or script kiddish cookup's improve on what we have so your innovating not imitating:D

cp0020

Sep 2, 2009
atlanta

Thats exactly what my argument is trying to stress :)
personally, i would love to have your rom without live wallpapers. every rom i have used that has livewallpapers is noticeably slower than without livewallpapers. i use nfinitefx45's rom. it has no livewallpapers. but when i added LW it ran MUCH slower than without LW. i didnt even have a LW as my background and it was still hella slower. maybe you could make your rom without LW and have that as an option?

davec1234

May 22, 2010
I dont think its about modding anything better then anyone else. Its the same concept "why the hell would someone use the stock sprint rom with few modifications compared to damagecontrol." Some people like the basic standard rom, and it gives one more option in whats available.
I dont see anything wrong with a pure aosp rom and i dont understand why anyone would be against it.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA App

Agreed, why would anyone vote to eliminate an additional option?

Seems pretty simple to me.

More ROMs more chances to find what works best for you and your phone. Not all of these Heros are the same and we need all the options we can get.

I can't stand drama either and I can see where this is heading.

darchstar

Dec 6, 2009
personally, i would love to have your rom without live wallpapers. every rom i have used that has livewallpapers is noticeably slower than without livewallpapers. i use nfinitefx45's rom. it has no livewallpapers. but when i added LW it ran MUCH slower than without LW. i didnt even have a LW as my background and it was still hella slower. maybe you could make your rom without LW and have that as an option?

you do know, you could just remove live wallpapers from the rom if you are so inclined, though live wallpapers have no effect at all in my experiences unless your running one very resource and cpu greedy.

Agreed, why would anyone vote to eliminate an additional option?

Who was voting to eliminate an additional option? what we are eliminating is the re-invention of the wheel.

Last edited:

cp0020

Sep 2, 2009
atlanta
you do know, you could just remove live wallpapers from the rom if you are so inclined, though live wallpapers have no effect at all in my experiences unless your running one very resource and cpu greedy.

Who was voting to eliminate an additional option? what we are eliminating is the re-invention of the wheel.

so what should i remove? live wallpaper picker? even if im not using LW it just makes my phone run slower. and i just think it would run better on my phone without them completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [14:35] qwebirc v0.85
    [14:35] Copyright (C) 2008-2009 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
    [14:35] http://www.qwebirc.org
    [14:35] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
    [14:35] == *** (qwebirc) Looking up your hostname...
    [14:35] == *** (qwebirc) Found your hostname.
    [14:35] == Connected to server.
    [14:35] == ERROR: Reconnecting too fast, throttled.
    [14:35] == Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server lost.