[ROM DEV] QuickMenu instead of honeycomb. Kitchen package + CABs!

Search This thread

utak3r

Feb 9, 2007
Szczecin
utak3r.pl
Hello guys...
as some of you were asking me, how to permanently put QuickMenu in the place of honeycomb, with a RAM return, I'm putting for you a ready to use package for that.

So - first, we're just installing QuickMenu. Easy, normal process, I'm using the same package for two years already ;) Be warned though it requires DelayedExec app, as QM was sometimes causing some problems during a cold boot. If you don't have it, or don't want it, just re-edit LNK file to remove its usage.

Then - it seems QM can't capture "start" word under wm6.5, so we're using a great app named "StartButton" and set it to capture this word and call QM.

Then - hey! Where're some of the icons from the settings menu?... Well - remember some of them were out of their folders? We need to get them back...

In the end... we want to get rid of the honeycomb itself, as it's still sitting in our RAM - almost 2MB of RAM on QVGA! It's a nightmare... how to do that? Easy... just edit proper CPR files and set them to... null text ;) this way system won't be able to prepare a whole scene and won't load those files - returning you all this RAM. Be careful - it's prepared for QVGA, so for other resolutions, you have to re-edit this file and change the filenames in it!

The package contains all those things - preconfigured QuickMenu, fixed settings items in their proper folders (done with a provXML file), preconfigured StartButton and special initflashfiles.txt file, changing the CPR files to the empty ones.

Enjoy your brand new, fast and full of RAM WM6.5! :cool:

DOWNLOADS:

1. For the kitchen:
The package in the EXT format for ervius' kitchen can be downloaded from here.

2. For normal users:
2a. twopumpchump compiled a CAB installation, it's here. It fits all the resolutions!

2b. jfrm reedited this CAB, so it doesn't remove the honeycomb. So, if you want, just quit QM and there's your honeycomb back! It's here.

2c. Another version from jfrm - tapping on logo will pop QM, while tapping on the "Start" word will pop honeycomb. It's here.

Last edited:

+ Que PPC

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
Man!

last night i was trying to make this works over the START word in task bar... this is great...!!!

BTW do you know how to remove the titanium?

I dont want the whole files, but if i disable chome in sys or bronze or bronzeEA the start wont works and the devices freeze by itself... maybe we couldnt and just need to disable it in today settings and thats all! but it seems that the semitransparent bars gets lost... in that way we can have a full vanilla lots of storage and great RAM with the speed of WM6.5 and its awsome scrolling.

Nice work dude! will try it on my next release as a ultra vanilla!

utak3r

Feb 9, 2007
Szczecin
utak3r.pl
BTW do you know how to remove the titanium?

I dont want the whole files, but if i disable chome in sys or bronze or bronzeEA the start wont works and the devices freeze by itself... maybe we couldnt and just need to disable it in today settings and thats all! but it seems that the semitransparent bars gets lost... in that way we can have a full vanilla lots of storage and great RAM with the speed of WM6.5 and its awsome scrolling.

I've just removed all the chome and bronze packages - and all is working ok :)

twopumpchump

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
good work

hi friend, ltns :) just tried the new "old style" start menu and seems to be working great. i did get the popup for DelayedExec since i dont have it in my rom, but i can fix that np. im partial to 6.5 start menu myself, but do you mind if i make a cab, or you can if you want, so some of my users can have this on my 6.5 roms? alot of people still want the old 6.1 menus and this would be great for them :D

+ Que PPC

Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
why?

This is to have more RAM but...
The quick menu works fine,

that popup error that twopumpchump say stops to show on in second softreset

but can you see the bronzeres error? both plugins... weather and some other in blank and i have only 12mb of ram... could it be due to lzx compression :p?

What else to delete?
Bronze
bronzeEA
bronzenonEA
Chome

Attachments

• Screen18.png
    Screen18.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 567
  • Screen17.jpg
    Screen17.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:

twopumpchump

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
go for it :) Just post it here.
Just remember to change those cpr files to empty ones, so it can free up ram.

ok here it is, i included delayedexec and the blank cpr files if thats ok :) just tested on my phone seems to work perfect, if not let me know ill fix it. im going to link to your thread for my users, im sure they will let you know if you have any bugs lol. thanks for the great work.

edit....now for all resolutions :D

Last edited:

utak3r

Feb 9, 2007
Szczecin
utak3r.pl
but can you see the bronzeres error? both plugins... weather and some other in blank and i have only 12mb of ram... could it be due to lzx compression :p?

Well, I'm using lzx, too, so...

What else to delete?
Bronze
bronzeEA
bronzenonEA
Chome

bronze
Bronze_DPI_96
BronzeNonEA
CHome
CHome_DPI_96
CHome_Lang_0409

ok here it is, i included delayedexec and the blank cpr files if thats ok :)

ok, thanks :) I was too lazy to make it on my own... ;)

brol1k

Sep 27, 2007
NYC
ok here it is, i included delayedexec and the blank cpr files if thats ok :) just tested on my phone seems to work perfect, if not let me know ill fix it. im going to link to your thread for my users, im sure they will let you know if you have any bugs lol. thanks for the great work.

Great work on this, now to get this for VGA users....

twopumpchump

Aug 10, 2008
Kentucky
m-s-j.net
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Install this one as normal and then manually edit StartMenu_Global_*.cpr and StartMenu_GridScene_*.cpr files :)

Maybe someone will reedit this cab and include a full set of cpr files. Or maybe TPC has already done this.. just check it :)

ok updated my original post with new cab for all resolutions :)

Last edited:

jfrm

Feb 1, 2006
Marbella
Is it possible to keep both menus working?

I have been thinking to much before going to 6.5 due the lost of QMenu and WkTask. So for me your trick is a very, very good news. Thank you very much.

Anyway, Is it possible to keep both menus working?

In my old Hermes 6.1 I have Original Star Menu set to Ms logo Long Press and QMenu to normal press, and now with the huge memory of my new Touch Pro, will be nice to keep both. One for finger use and the other one for stylus time.

Thanks for the effort.

jfrm

Feb 1, 2006
Marbella
Wonderfull,

I have downloaded your file, but this look like a cocking packet...

How should I install it in a working rom?

brol1k

Sep 27, 2007
NYC
Now it works perfect, only thing is I dont see the time and clock in settings anywhere.

utak3r

Feb 9, 2007
Szczecin
utak3r.pl
I have downloaded your file, but this look like a cocking packet...
How should I install it in a working rom?

In 7th post twopumpchump posted a CAB file, get it and install it.

Now it works perfect, only thing is I dont see the time and clock in settings anywhere.

It's because I put it into personal section, and not to system, as it was originally ;) I prefer it that way.

jfrm

Feb 1, 2006
Marbella
Sorry to bother you again, but I'm afraid that the cab is going to overwrite the cpr files and make me loose the HoneyComb.

It that right?

Remember my fist question here, I want to keep both menus working.

+ Que PPC

Mar 23, 2007
Guadalajara
es.youtube.com
remember to search

Think about this
the cab file can be open with winrar or cabmanager or some more apps so... open the cab file and delete the cpr files... save it and you are good to go...
Be cool man our developers woks hard to get more power here.

jfrm

Feb 1, 2006
Marbella
Sorry, I don't want to disturb.

My english is far from good and maybe there is some missunderstood.

Will try this way. Thanks.