[ROM][DEV][SlimJB4.3][SGH-I757M][KERNEL]UNOFFICIAL SlimJB4.3 For Bell SGH-I757M

Search This thread

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
Thanks for the incredibly fast response and the welcome!

I'm currently using rooted stock ICS. I had tried the kies update to Jellybean when it came out but as you know, it was really bad and I had to have my phone bumped back.

I plan on flashing at some point this weeked to try this out. I was avoiding the slimkat rom due to the camcorder problems noted, as I do use the video from time to time. My only concern before flashing is that I'm using PhilZ Touch 6.48.4 (Clockwork 6.0.5.0). Everything I've read so far says to be using a 6.0.4.x version of this but I'm guessing this version should be fine as it is newer. Any chance you can confirm?

Thanks again!

Camcorder issues have been fixed in 4.4 for a few months now. Only thing left is the occasional reboot when using the flash.

Also just as manfromgta said, your version of cwm will work as expected to flash any kitkat Rom for this device.

The instructions from this point on for you are just as outlined in my slimkat thread. Just follow each step and you will succeed ;) You will feel liberated ;)

ksSGHI757M

Aug 28, 2014
Well the instructions seem pretty clear, so it may be something that I'm expected to know already, but I ran into a problem when trying to flash the radio. I

I get an error saying that there is a storage issue for the radio zip (sorry, don't have exact message but will post it tomorro). I tried formatting my external sd card and redownloading but got the same message. I noticed further up in the messages it said something about updating to the latest version of binary, but have no idea if that's relevant.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Camcorder issues have been fixed in 4.4 for a few months now. Only thing left is the occasional reboot when using the flash.

Also just as manfromgta said, your version of cwm will work as expected to flash any kitkat Rom for this device.

The instructions from this point on for you are just as outlined in my slimkat thread. Just follow each step and you will succeed ;) You will feel liberated ;)

ksSGHI757M

Aug 28, 2014
Well, after quite a bit of reading to try and figure out what was happening I decided to try one last thing before giving up - moving the zip files over to my phone instead of using the external SD card. Worked perfectly and I no longer had the errors from before. I now have slim installed and am going through the set-up procedure.

Thanks for your help, and for all the work you've done to get this up and running! Maybe I'll try out slimKat at a later date!~

Well the instructions seem pretty clear, so it may be something that I'm expected to know already, but I ran into a problem when trying to flash the radio. I

I get an error saying that there is a storage issue for the radio zip (sorry, don't have exact message but will post it tomorro). I tried formatting my external sd card and redownloading but got the same message. I noticed further up in the messages it said something about updating to the latest version of binary, but have no idea if that's relevant.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
Well, after quite a bit of reading to try and figure out what was happening I decided to try one last thing before giving up - moving the zip files over to my phone instead of using the external SD card. Worked perfectly and I no longer had the errors from before. I now have slim installed and am going through the set-up procedure.

Thanks for your help, and for all the work you've done to get this up and running! Maybe I'll try out slimKat at a later date!~

Not sure why it wouldn't flash from your external card, but glad you got it working with the internal card ;)

seediddy

Jan 24, 2015
toronto
Hello all, I just upgraded to slimJB4.3 and I am trying to install musicplayerWT.apk which came in the stock upgrade to my galaxy s4. can anyone tell me why I cant put a JB variant of the samsung stock music player on this slimJB4.3 rom that is on my i757m?

I dont understand why it wont install or if i flash it , it still does not show up in apps. is there something I am doing wrong? has anyone else had success in doing this??

thank you

titanic_fanatic

Sep 21, 2012
Calgary
Hello all, I just upgraded to slimJB4.3 and I am trying to install musicplayerWT.apk which came in the stock upgrade to my galaxy s4. can anyone tell me why I cant put a JB variant of the samsung stock music player on this slimJB4.3 rom that is on my i757m?

I dont understand why it wont install or if i flash it , it still does not show up in apps. is there something I am doing wrong? has anyone else had success in doing this??

thank you

Stock Samsung apps require the stock framework and that can't be used in a custom Rom. You won't be able to use this app with my custom Roms, but there are far better alternatives available such as poweramp ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SlimJB4.3 for Canadian Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M)

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B][SIZE="4"]*** Disclamer ***[/SIZE][/B]

THIS ROM IS FOR THE CANADIAN SGH-I757M ONLY... DO NOT FLASH IT ON ANOTHER DEVICE!

By flashing this ROM, you are voiding your phones warranty (Unless you return it
    to complete stock which is possible, but beyond the scope of this thread). You
    also agree that I will in no way be held responsible in the event that your
    device becomes bricked (Not likely to happen). In addition, you are responsible
    to take the necessary backups of your apps, data, sms, contacts, calendar events, etc.

If you agree, then please continue on ;)[/COLOR]

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B][SIZE="4"]*** NEW RECOVERY REQUIRED ***[/SIZE][/B]

Due to the addition of user control in Jellybean 4.3, you are required to update
    your recovery to a supported recovery. As of this writing, the latest available
    version is CWM6.0.3.9/Philz6.07.9 for the SGH-I757M.

If you flash the new ROM with the old incompatible recovery, you risk loosing
    your sdcard under a bunch of subfolders.[/COLOR]

Code:
    [COLOR="red"][B][SIZE="4"]*** NEW RADIO FIRMWARE REQUIRED ***[/SIZE][/B]

As of SlimBean4.2, ICS radios (I757MUGLH2) are no longer supported. You must download the new JB radios (I757MUGMC5).[/COLOR]

Introduction
    It's finally here :-D SlimBean4.3 (Android4.3.x) for the Bell Canada Samsung Galaxy S2 HD LTE (SGH-I757M). Among the most notable new features are new adreno graphics drivers with triple buffering (this is project butter). This is the latest SlimBean4.3 and has all of the features of a SlimRom that you've come to love. Don't forget to download the special gapps package to get the full SlimBean experience while using "The Real Dark Slim" feature.

Images

SEE SCREENSHOTS TAB AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE

What Works

* Phone
    * Wi-Fi
    * Mobile
    * GPS
    * Bluetooth
    * SMS/MMS
    * Data Usage
    * Camera
    * BLN Notification (Enabled in Advanced Device Settings)
    * VM Notification
    * Youtube Overlays
    * init.d is fully supported

What Doesn't Work

* I experienced an incompatibility with some of my existing mp4 media files and when gallery tries to load them they cause a soft reboot. Loading these videos into the gallery media player using a 3rd party file manager seems to work without issue, it is the loading of the preview in gallery that causes the phone to crash.
    Solution: The solution is to use a file manager to move the mp4 files to a new directory and add a ".nomedia" file to that directory so that when browsing photos in the gallery, it does not try to load the offending mp4 files. You can still view these mp4 files, but you must open them with a file manager directly into the video player instead of using the gallery to access them.

* The camcorder records just fine, but when playing back the video, it's just a distorted video. Audio is fine, and I have not tested video with a third party app. If you test one and it works, please post that here so that others may benefit from your findings.
    This seems to have been fixed as of the 20140121 build

* The latest Google Drive seems to be missing classes and will not open. This may be due to a missing content provider or may be a bug with the Google Drive app itself.
    Solution: The solution for this is to uninstall the latest version of Google Drive, then go to Settings -> Security and enable Unknown Sources. Then open the Play Store and turn off automatic updates or it will end up overwriting the older version and you will be left with a non-working Google Drive again. Once all that is complete, download and install this Google Drive instead:

com.google.android.apps.docs.apk (8.4MB)

Pre-Installation instructions
    1) Download to your sdcard, the new CWM6.0.3.9 or Philz Advanced/Touch Recovery flashable zip which is compatible with SlimBean4.2/SlimBean4.3
    2) Enter your existing CWM Recovery
    3) Install Zip From sdcard
    4) Select the CWM_RECOVERY_6.0.3.9_I757M_20131005.zip (or the Philz one) that you downloaded to your sdcard
    5) Flash the new Recovery
    6) Go back to the main recovery menu and go Advanced -> Reboot Recovery (This might not actually reboot you into recovery, you may have to do that manually by turning off phone and using 3-button combo)

Now that you have the new recovery flashed to your device, you can continue to install this ROM.

Please be aware that the new recovery detects your sdcards (internal/external) in a different way. Your internal sdcard is recognized as /storage/sdcard0 and your external sdcard is recognized as /storage/sdcard1.

Installation instructions
    1) Download the Rom and Gapps (Use only the Gapps downloded from this thread. It is customized due to our small cache partition)
    2) Enter CWM
    3) TAKE A NANDROID BACKUP
    4) Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    5) Format Cache
    6) Advanced -> Format Dalvik Cache
    7) Mounts and Storage -> Format /data,/cache and /system (Required for a clean flash)
    8) Flash the Radios
    9) Flash the ROM
    10) Flash the Gapps
    11) Reboot Phone

NOTE: If you are using Philz Touch/Advanced Recovery, you can replace steps 5 - 7 by selecting the "Clean to install a new ROM" option.

Download
    ROM Downloads

Build: 20140121 (Latest)
    ROM: Slim-celoxhd-4.3.build.2.1-UNOFFICIAL-20140121-0353.zip (114MB)
    GAPPS: Slim_AIO_gapps.4.3.build.2-20140121.zip (147.3MB)
    JB Radios: JB_modem_I757MUGMC5-flash_this_in_CWM.zip (21.3MB)

Build: 20131228
    ROM: Slim-celoxhd-4.3.build.2.1-UNOFFICIAL-20131228-1427.zip (126.1MB)
    GAPPS: Slim_AIO_gapps.4.3.build.2-20131228.zip (160.4MB)
    JB Radios: JB_modem_I757MUGMC5-flash_this_in_CWM.zip (21.3MB)

Recovery Downloads

NEW CWM6.0.3.9 compatible with SlimBean4.2/SlimBean4.3/SlimKat
    CWM_RECOVERY_6.0.3.9_I757M_20131005.zip (7.6MB)

NEW Philz Advanced Recovery 5.18.4 (CWM 6.0.4.4) compatible with SlimBean4.2/SlimBean4.3/SlimKat
    PhilzAdvancedRecovery5.18.4-CWM6.0.4.4-SGH-I757M.zip (9.5MB)

NEW *** RECOMMENDED *** Philz Touch Recovery 6 (CWM 6.0.4.5) compatible with SlimBean4.2/SlimBean4.3/SlimKat
    [celoxhd][SGH-I757M][CWM Advanced Edition] PhilZ Touch

* The downloads can also be found here on XDA. Use the "Download" tab at the top of the page to access both direct download or torrent download of this ROM.

Tips and Tricks
    Checkout the second post for some tips and tricks on setting up the ROM.

Changelog
    Code:
    [B]January 21, 2014 - Build 20140121[/B]
    * Synced with upstream sources (CyanogenMod/SlimRoms)
    * Added SystemUI memory management fix
    * Removed 91fixoverlays init.d script as it's no longer required
    * Implemented fix for the char dev driver - fixes the vibrator not loading on boot

[B]January 03, 2014 - Build 20131228[/B]
    * Initial release

FAQ
    Q. Why is my screen flickering?
    A. There is a bug in this ROM where the board can't decide whether to display the frames with the cpu or the gpu, thus the flickering while it resolves the issue. To fix it, disable HW Overlays in Developer Options. There is a script that has been included with this ROM in the init.d that sets that on every boot so you shouldn't have to.

Thanks To/Credits
    Code:
    * SlimRoms Team - ROM Base

Without all of the hard work and efforts of the SlimRoms team, this ROM would not be possible, so we owe them our thanks for providing us with such excellent ROMs.

In addition, I have received a lot of help on my journey to understand and be able to develop for the android platform, so I owe the following people my thanks for helping me to make this ROM possible.

*   @dsixda - Initial port of CM9/CM10 for SGH-I757M
    *   @Strange Peer - Continued development of CM10
    *   @rukusx7 - Contributor
    *   @bijon440 - Contributor
    *   @kj2112 - Contributor
    *   @Tronith - Contributor
    *   @Zippy Dufus - Contributor
    *   @formercontra - Contributor

Thanks guys you've all been so awesome to work with ;)

One last group of people to thank. It's YOU! Without all of you guys and girls who come to download our creations, there would be no reward for doing this. Thank you for downloading, providing feedback and being part of this small family. You are all appreciated ;)

XDA:DevDB Information
    UNOFFICIAL SlimJB4.3 For Bell SGH-I757M, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
    titanic_fanatic
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    ROM Firmware Required: SGH-I757M
    Based On: SlimBean

Version Information

Created 2014-01-03
    Last Updated 2014-01-23
    So the new SlimKat is up, and art is working. Performance settings are also included. The camcorder is screwed up and will cause your camera to not function if you select the camcorder so do not select the camcorder, even accidentally.

DO NOT SELECT THE CAMCORDER OR YOUR WHOLE CAMERA WILL STOP WORKING INCLUDING YOUR FLASH

I'm working on a fix for the the camcorder problem, at least to stop it from screwing everything up if you accidentally select the camcorder.

ENJOY!!!

[ROM][DEV][SlimKat][KK4.4][KERNEL][SGH-I757M]UNOFFICIAL SlimKat 4.4 For Bell SGH-I757M

Sent from my SGH-I757M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Good news for slim users. I've got slimkat built and it's running well. Calendar works, but camcorder does not and the camera does.

It gets a little better, I'm running art right now without issues. No FC's. It took 3 minutes on the boot animation, then another 8 minutes of android is upgrading.

There are some things missing such as advanced reboot options and performance settings which I will port over before I release it.

Runs very well so far, I'm impressed ;)

Sent from my SGH-I757M using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Reserved

Tips and Tricks

Use the Bell Flex APN. You can select it by going to:

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> More -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

This helps fix some issues with VPN and some other system services.

Logcat what is it and how do I get one?

A logcat is the system log of events that occur on your device. This log provides the developers with some useful information pertaining to crashes and other bugs you may encounter while using the ROM and/or apps running on the ROM. Getting a logcat is generally a very simple thing. Just open your terminal emulator on your phone and type the following commands without typing the $ as it denotes a command on the command line:

$ su
    $ logcat -v long > /sdcard/logcat.txt

The first command above will ask you to grant superuser permission to the terminal emulator which you must accept. The second command will create a file at the root of your sdcard called logcat.txt and then start writing the logs to this file. Since the logcat is a continuous function, your terminal emulator will not return you to the command prompt after the second command as it will continue to write logs until you stop it by pressing the x to close the emulator.

If you are experiencing an issue with an app, then you need to do the steps above to get the logcat recording, then press your home button so that you don't close the emulator, but put it in the background. Then you do the action that causes the bug to occur and then open the emulator and terminate it to stop the log from writing. this ensures that the error is located somewhere around the end of the log and makes it easier for us to spot ;)

What is dalvik-cache and why do I need it?

To explain dalvik cache, you must understand how an app is pieced together. An apk (android app) is like a zip file and contains a bunch of files inside. Two important files to note are the resources.arsc and the classes.dex files. They are compiled versions of the resources (images, sounds, xml files) and classes (source code files) of the app. When android boots into a ROM for the first time, and everytime you install an app, the system performs an optimization called dex optimization which means that is pulls the dex file out of the app and places it into what is called your dalvik cache. The system can then pre-load these dex files and allow the app to start quickly.

Dalvik cache is stored in two locations, at /data/dalvik-cache for user apps and at /cache/dalvik-cache for system apps. We unfortunately have a very small partition for /cache, only 100MB and this sometimes causes a side effect on first boot where it fills up to much with apps that only ever run on the first boot to setup the system and then other dex files cannot be written to the /cache partition which causes them to Force Close (FC). The trick in this situation, is to bear through the FC messages to get the system to the home screen, then reboot into recovery and Wipe Dalvik Cache from the Advanced sub-menu. This will delete all the dex files in both locations I mentioned above and will force the system to regenerate them upon reboot, and this time, those 1-time running apps don't start up and don't end up being optimized which allows the necessary dex files to be created for the apps that were FC'ing.

I have moved what I could from the system partition to the data partition to spare some extra space on /cache but this still sometimes happens, especially as the ROM's get slightly bigger every new major version.
    slimkat

Hey TF how's slimkat treating u? Pain in the but trying to port the last 2 things eh.... Well hopefully u get it :) just letting u kno we r anxious for the ROM :D!!