[DEPRECATED][ROM][diOS][N] Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0 LTE SM-T285 (gtexslte)

Search This thread

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro

This is discoveryOS (diOS)

Code:
/*
* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Same statement for XDA.
*/

About this project: discoveryOS (or in short: diOS)

I was not satisfied with any external car navigation system I can get because either they are ultra slow, outdated, having bad user experience, missing speed cam support or simply taking ages to get a gps lock within my car.

So the main approach here is not having the best ROM for all users but for those having the same need then I have. Usually these both should not conflict so if I fix an issue for my needs it might fix yours as well. But my focus is navigation, nothing (much) else.

Examples: if Camera has issues I might not solve it, if calling has issues I might not solve it, etc.

Features of discoveryOS

• fully based on /e/ OS for a full google-free experience
  • F-Droid (OpenSource Apps as an alternative to Google Play) including extra repos
  • debloated everything not needed for diOS (for details check this list)
  • Integrated MagicEarth Navigation
  • Integrated Automate App
  • Integrated Aurora Store
  • Speaker output optimized for speech (i.e. increasing loudness as much as possible)
  • my builds come with full OTA update support (from v2.0 on)
    (... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install)

Roadmap

• Implementing Kiosk Mode for navigation only (might be provided as a separate build)
    links:
    <--- abandoned by using the app "Automate" instead
    the one I will go for (tested fine already): https://www.sdgsystems.com/post/pro...droid-devices-with-a-device-owner-application
    older approaches:
  • Integrate my created Automate flow to simulate a KIOSK mode (i.e. start navigation on boot and keep it on top always)

Requirements
  • Your device need to be unlocked (seriously?!)
  • Latest TWRP/SHRP build is highly recommended, e.g. mine: see my recovery post
  • Do a full Nandroid backup before doing anything else!
  • Samsung STOCK firmware should be on T285XXU0AQH1.
    You can check your current firmware version in Android -> settings -> About / Phone info -> Baseband version
    If you like try first without flashing this firmware but if you encounter any issues upgrade to this version first before reporting
    Fast and (afaik) good site for downloading: https://sfirmware.com/samsung-sm-t285/
    (scroll down and type T285XXU0AQH1 in the search box, choose the one for your country, download, flash as usual, flash TWRP/SHRP again, flash this ROM)

Installation
  1. Backup ;)
  2. When you flash diOS the first time:
    Wipe: System and do a factory reset !
    A LOT of bad stuff can happen otherwise
  3. Flash the ROM
  4. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
  5. Flash OpenGapps ????? STOOOOOOOOP NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! diOS contains everything you need to live without Google!
  6. Boot (be patient on first boot!!! SIM detection might take a minute after the FIRST boot after clean flash as well)
  7. Open Maps (MagicEarth) and click the download button to get your country/region maps
  8. Open Automate to import the kioskmode flow
  9. Open F-Droid -> Settings -> Repositories and choose those you want to enable (most of them are described here) & swipe down to update the repo list.
  10. Open Aurora -> choose Anonymous as long as you don't want to have paid apps working
  11. Enjoy

Known issues
  1. no OMS support! OMS is a hack DEEP in the android sources and all these are outdated now. if you need that use jedl's build
  2. build is ENG , i.e. "adb root" will work and no auth required for ADB
  3. bluetooth is working but using the blobs by jedld's build until I find the time fixing the android sources (unfortunately the repo of jedld does not contain the full history so I have to compare manually...). Until then I keep it like that.
  4. not charging on USB connection (normal power supply works fine) - still investigating. Seems to be an issue with my kernel.
  5. This ROM is just coming with BASIC stuff so several apps you might want to see in a regular Android ROM are simply not there.
    Examples (excerpt only!):
    - no Camera app
    - no Browser app
    - no Gallery app
    - no Email app
    - no Calendar app
    - no <fill-in-whatever-you-are-missing>
    the complete list can be found here always
  6. If you find a bug not listed, follow the instructions here and provide me with the logs: FAQ #1

Download

Get the builds from my leech server

Note:
  • Builds are updated when I decide to do so. There is no build cycle.

Changelogs

• search results from this thread: click

Credits
  • LineageOS
  • jedld, really! thanks dude, not just for giving a starting point but also for providing your sources.
  • ... if I forgot to mention YOU, tell me ;)

Sources
It took me a while (2 or 3 weeks iirc) to clean up all the sources from jedld in order to be able to update and keep in sync with LOS itself.. All these can be found here:

XDA:DevDB Information
discoveryOS, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Contributors
steadfasterX, jedld (without his work I would never had bought that tab! he made all the main parts until 2018!)
Source Code: https://github.com/smt285

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: /e/ OS

Version Information
Beta
Beta Release Date: 2020-11-19

Created 2020-04-03
Last Updated 2020-11-20

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200403-122515.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-122515.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3,333
  • Screenshot_20200403-122507.jpg
    Screenshot_20200403-122507.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 3,485
  • Screenshot_20200403-122553.png
    Screenshot_20200403-122553.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,450
  • Screenshot_20200508-170726.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-170726.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,872
  • Screenshot_20200508-164720.jpg
    Screenshot_20200508-164720.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,667
  • Screenshot_20200508-170957.png
    Screenshot_20200508-170957.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,651
  • Screenshot_20200508-165206.png
    Screenshot_20200508-165206.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,833
Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
everything around my recovery images

RECOVERY images

Download (shrp + twrp)
TWRP: here
SHRP (recommended): here

I provide 3 formats:
  • IMG (twrp only)
  • TAR (shrp & twrp)
  • ZIP (shrp only)

When to use the IMG (twrp only)?
  • If you flashed a custom recovery already
  • if you like to flash by download mode with heimdall

When to use the TAR (shrp & twrp)?
  • If you never flashed a custom recovery before you have to use this one
  • if you like to flash by download mode with ODIN or JOdin

When to use the ZIP (shrp only)?
  • If you want to switch from TWRP
  • if you want to upgrade from one SHRP version to another
  • if you flashed the TAR of SHRP in download mode by ODIN or JOdin you HAVE to flash this ZIP in SHRP once

How to flash the IMG?
  1. boot to your custom recovery
  2. push the IMG to your device (e.g. by adb)
  3. select flash
  4. ensure you select "IMG" (when in TWRP. when in SHRP that is not needed)
  5. select the IMG file
  6. choose "Recovery" as the "Target Partition" and flash
  7. Reboot to Recovery to complete the setup.

How to flash the TAR?
  1. boot to download mode
  2. start ODIN/JOdin
  3. put the TAR into the AP/PDA slot
  4. ensure the "Auto Reboot" is NOT ticked/checked
  5. flash
  6. turn the device off (HOME+PWR+VOLDOWN) and directly switch just the VOLDOWN button to VOLUP when it wakes up and hold all 3 buttons until you see the recovery loading

How to flash the ZIP?
  2. push the ZIP to your device (e.g. by adb) (or start and use adb sideload and you are done)
  3. select flash
  4. select the ZIP & Flash
  5. Reboot to Recovery to complete the setup

Last edited:

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
New build arrived

Changelog

Release date: 2020-04-03
Download: see OP

initial build:

I had a REALLY hard time to actually make LOS 14.1 boot with cleaned sources.. thought the ramp-up will take a week at most .. but that was way off..
jedld had done several patches within AOSP and I had to find out which are required where etc. the main reason why my build were not booting at all (which is f**** hard to debug without and log and/or adb ) was that one.

But I needed to clean the sources as several parts of these were incredible outdated and so needs to be udpated.
I had spent several more days to cleaning up even more stuff and finally uploaded a test build.

feel free to join but read the KNOWN ISSUES topic carefully before.
It is still in a very early state and I have tested pretty much nothing else then boot, apps, bluetooth, WiFi :p

Kernel:
  • switching to EUR kernel
  • implemented kernel build within LOS build!
  • added own TWRP defconfig
  • moving kernel modules like WiFi to /system
  • .... and more (see "Detailed changes")

LOS:
  • added alle needed TWRP configs
  • sepolicy updates for rild

Detailed changes:

.-

hacker812c

Mar 28, 2012
Salvador🇧🇷
Testing and report
Thank You for this Great JOB

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

For those interested I will also provide SHRP (skyhawk recovery) after some testing and fine tuning ...
Sent from my OnePlus 6T using XDA Labs
Migration from Lineage Jed for LOS 7.1.2
Recovery 3.3.1.1 Ok
installation Ok
Magisk Ok
Google Apps Ok
Fist Boot Ok
Wifi and sensors Ok
OpenCamera working Perfectly
ROM stable Ok no errors in all files i recomend this release for all users Galaxy Tab T285
Great Job Great ROM.
Hacker.

Last edited:

nicktsh

Jan 9, 2019
May I know how do I flash your TWRP build? I am using Odin and I am supposed to flash .tar.md5 file right? Yours is in disc img file and when I try to extract / mount it shows "corrupted file".

Reactions: hacker812c

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
May I know how do I flash your TWRP build? I am using Odin and I am supposed to flash .tar.md5 file right? Yours is in disc img file and when I try to extract / mount it shows "corrupted file".
Ah yea I haven't uploaded the ODIN file yet. Thanks for reminding. You can either wait for that or flash any of the other available TWRP versions for the smt285 which have a ODIN package. Once you have TWRP you can simply flash my img from within TWRP to update .

रRudra

Jan 18, 2020
Great piece of work, very much needed. Thanks Bro.

I wished if volte would have worked, is there any chance!

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Getting CTSProfile false in Magisk 20.4, any fix ?

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Great piece of work, very much needed. Thanks Bro.

I wished if volte would have worked, is there any chance!

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Getting CTSProfile false in Magisk 20.4, any fix ?
VoLTE is always a pita. So no.
Will check cts profile, should be fixable ..

duckynawal

Dec 29, 2015
Having trouble flashing a custom recovery. Odin doesn't seem to like me. Could anyone help me out?

shashilx

Apr 30, 2011
Installed - works fine but found one annoying bug - lockscreen is not rotating at all - it's only vertical and not want to rotate to horizontal when I rotate device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is discoveryOS (diOS)

Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

About this project: discoveryOS (or in short: diOS)

I was not satisfied with any external car navigation system I can get because either they are ultra slow, outdated, having bad user experience, missing speed cam support or simply taking ages to get a gps lock within my car.

So the main approach here is not having the best ROM for all users but for those having the same need then I have. Usually these both should not conflict so if I fix an issue for my needs it might fix yours as well. But my focus is navigation, nothing (much) else.

Examples: if Camera has issues I might not solve it, if calling has issues I might not solve it, etc.

Features of discoveryOS

• fully based on /e/ OS for a full google-free experience
    • F-Droid (OpenSource Apps as an alternative to Google Play) including extra repos
    • debloated everything not needed for diOS (for details check this list)
    • Integrated MagicEarth Navigation
    • Integrated Automate App
    • Integrated Aurora Store
    • Speaker output optimized for speech (i.e. increasing loudness as much as possible)
    • my builds come with full OTA update support (from v2.0 on)
      (... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install)

Roadmap

Requirements
    • Your device need to be unlocked (seriously?!)
    • Latest TWRP/SHRP build is highly recommended, e.g. mine: see my recovery post
    • Do a full Nandroid backup before doing anything else!
    • Samsung STOCK firmware should be on T285XXU0AQH1.
      You can check your current firmware version in Android -> settings -> About / Phone info -> Baseband version
      If you like try first without flashing this firmware but if you encounter any issues upgrade to this version first before reporting
      Fast and (afaik) good site for downloading: https://sfirmware.com/samsung-sm-t285/
      (scroll down and type T285XXU0AQH1 in the search box, choose the one for your country, download, flash as usual, flash TWRP/SHRP again, flash this ROM)

Installation
    1. Backup ;)
    2. When you flash diOS the first time:
      Wipe: System and do a factory reset !
      A LOT of bad stuff can happen otherwise
    3. Flash the ROM
    4. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
    5. Flash OpenGapps ????? STOOOOOOOOP NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! diOS contains everything you need to live without Google!
    6. Boot (be patient on first boot!!! SIM detection might take a minute after the FIRST boot after clean flash as well)
    7. Open Maps (MagicEarth) and click the download button to get your country/region maps
    8. Open Automate to import the kioskmode flow
    9. Open F-Droid -> Settings -> Repositories and choose those you want to enable (most of them are described here) & swipe down to update the repo list.
    10. Open Aurora -> choose Anonymous as long as you don't want to have paid apps working
    11. Enjoy

Known issues
    1. no OMS support! OMS is a hack DEEP in the android sources and all these are outdated now. if you need that use jedl's build
    2. build is ENG , i.e. "adb root" will work and no auth required for ADB
    3. bluetooth is working but using the blobs by jedld's build until I find the time fixing the android sources (unfortunately the repo of jedld does not contain the full history so I have to compare manually...). Until then I keep it like that.
    4. not charging on USB connection (normal power supply works fine) - still investigating. Seems to be an issue with my kernel.
    5. This ROM is just coming with BASIC stuff so several apps you might want to see in a regular Android ROM are simply not there.
      Examples (excerpt only!):
      - no Camera app
      - no Browser app
      - no Gallery app
      - no Email app
      - no Calendar app
      - no <fill-in-whatever-you-are-missing>
      the complete list can be found here always
    6. If you find a bug not listed, follow the instructions here and provide me with the logs: FAQ #1

Download

Get the builds from my leech server

Note:
    • Builds are updated when I decide to do so. There is no build cycle.

Changelogs

• search results from this thread: click

Credits
    • LineageOS
    • jedld, really! thanks dude, not just for giving a starting point but also for providing your sources.
    • ... if I forgot to mention YOU, tell me ;)

Sources
    It took me a while (2 or 3 weeks iirc) to clean up all the sources from jedld in order to be able to update and keep in sync with LOS itself.. All these can be found here:

XDA:DevDB Information
    discoveryOS, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Contributors
    steadfasterX, jedld (without his work I would never had bought that tab! he made all the main parts until 2018!)
    Source Code: https://github.com/smt285

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
    Based On: /e/ OS

Version Information
    Beta
    Beta Release Date: 2020-11-19

Created 2020-04-03
    Last Updated 2020-11-20
    Testing and report
    Thank You for this Great JOB

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

For those interested I will also provide SHRP (skyhawk recovery) after some testing and fine tuning ...
    Migration from Lineage Jed for LOS 7.1.2
    Recovery 3.3.1.1 Ok
    installation Ok
    Magisk Ok
    Google Apps Ok
    Fist Boot Ok
    Wifi and sensors Ok
    OpenCamera working Perfectly
    ROM stable Ok no errors in all files i recomend this release for all users Galaxy Tab T285
    Great Job Great ROM.
    Hacker.
    New build arrived for discoveryOS (diOS)

The very first fully customized build for GPS navigation!
    Re-branded completely to "discoveryOS (diOS)"!
    Due to the re-branding the OP has been fully re-worked to reflect all changes of this project.

Changelog

Release date: 2020-05-08

Kernel:
    • nothing

diOS:
    • initial release just for diOS!
      This includes:
      - custom boot animation
      - custom default wallpaper
      - custom build id
      - added Automate app
      - added F-Droid
      - added Waze App
      - and much more..

CHECK OUT THE OP FOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!
    A CLEAN FLASH, INCLUDING FACTORY RESET IS REQUIRED!

The new included Automate app is missing the navigation flow to be fully operational (will be fixed in the future).
    The flow can be downloaded here: Kioskmode Flow (kioskmode_discoveryos.flo)
    Download the flow to the device and open it in the file explorer. You get prompted to import the flow. Click start and the flow will enable a light version of a kiosk mode for the app "Waze".

Detailed changes:

.-
    New build arrived

Changelog

Release date: 2020-04-03

initial build:

I had a REALLY hard time to actually make LOS 14.1 boot with cleaned sources.. thought the ramp-up will take a week at most .. but that was way off..
    jedld had done several patches within AOSP and I had to find out which are required where etc. the main reason why my build were not booting at all (which is f**** hard to debug without and log and/or adb ) was that one.

But I needed to clean the sources as several parts of these were incredible outdated and so needs to be udpated.
    I had spent several more days to cleaning up even more stuff and finally uploaded a test build.

feel free to join but read the KNOWN ISSUES topic carefully before.
    It is still in a very early state and I have tested pretty much nothing else then boot, apps, bluetooth, WiFi :p

Kernel:
    • switching to EUR kernel
    • implemented kernel build within LOS build!
    • added own TWRP defconfig

LOS:
    • added alle needed TWRP configs
    • sepolicy updates for rild

Detailed changes:

.-
    everything around my recovery images

RECOVERY images

Download (shrp + twrp)
    TWRP: here
    SHRP (recommended): here

I provide 3 formats:
    • IMG (twrp only)
    • TAR (shrp & twrp)
    • ZIP (shrp only)

When to use the IMG (twrp only)?
    • If you flashed a custom recovery already
    • if you like to flash by download mode with heimdall

When to use the TAR (shrp & twrp)?
    • If you never flashed a custom recovery before you have to use this one
    • if you like to flash by download mode with ODIN or JOdin

When to use the ZIP (shrp only)?
    • If you want to switch from TWRP
    • if you want to upgrade from one SHRP version to another
    • if you flashed the TAR of SHRP in download mode by ODIN or JOdin you HAVE to flash this ZIP in SHRP once

How to flash the IMG?
    2. push the IMG to your device (e.g. by adb)
    3. select flash
    4. ensure you select "IMG" (when in TWRP. when in SHRP that is not needed)
    5. select the IMG file
    6. choose "Recovery" as the "Target Partition" and flash
    7. Reboot to Recovery to complete the setup.

How to flash the TAR?
    1. boot to download mode
    2. start ODIN/JOdin
    3. put the TAR into the AP/PDA slot
    4. ensure the "Auto Reboot" is NOT ticked/checked
    5. flash
    6. turn the device off (HOME+PWR+VOLDOWN) and directly switch just the VOLDOWN button to VOLUP when it wakes up and hold all 3 buttons until you see the recovery loading

How to flash the ZIP?
    2. push the ZIP to your device (e.g. by adb) (or start and use adb sideload and you are done)
    3. select flash
    4. select the ZIP & Flash
    5. Reboot to Recovery to complete the setup