- Nov 13, 2013
This is discoveryOS (diOS)
/* * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...). * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software. * Same statement for XDA. */
About this project: discoveryOS (or in short: diOS)
I was not satisfied with any external car navigation system I can get because either they are ultra slow, outdated, having bad user experience, missing speed cam support or simply taking ages to get a gps lock within my car.
So the main approach here is not having the best ROM for all users but for those having the same need then I have. Usually these both should not conflict so if I fix an issue for my needs it might fix yours as well. But my focus is navigation, nothing (much) else.
Examples: if Camera has issues I might not solve it, if calling has issues I might not solve it, etc.
Features of discoveryOS
- fully based on /e/ OS for a full google-free experience
- F-Droid (OpenSource Apps as an alternative to Google Play) including extra repos
- debloated everything not needed for diOS (for details check this list)
- Integrated MagicEarth Navigation
- Integrated Automate App
- Integrated Aurora Store
- Speaker output optimized for speech (i.e. increasing loudness as much as possible)
- my builds come with full OTA update support (from v2.0 on)
(... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install)
Implementing Kiosk Mode for navigation only (might be provided as a separate build)<--- abandoned by using the app "Automate" instead
the one I will go for (tested fine already): https://www.sdgsystems.com/post/pro...droid-devices-with-a-device-owner-application
Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 1: No Android Changes Required Note: Looking for Kiosk mode in Android Lollipop 5.0 or later? Skip to part 3. What is “Kiosk Mode” and why would you want to use it? Kiosk Mode basically allows a single Android application to have full control of the system. The user is...www.sdgsystems.comPart 1 Part 2 Part 4 Part 3: Android Lollipop (and Marshmallow) Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and 6.0 (Marshmallow) now have an official Kiosk Mode that anybody can use, but they don’t call it Kiosk Mode. They call it “screen pinning” or “task locking”. This article will provide information on how to...www.sdgsystems.comPart 1 Part 2 Part 3 In part 3 of our series on kiosk mode, we provided source code for our Set Device Owner app. This app allows you to provision Android Lollipop and Marshmallow devices using the “device bump” method, which configures device owner apps or device policy controllers (DPC) such...www.sdgsystems.com
- Integrate my created Automate flow to simulate a KIOSK mode (i.e. start navigation on boot and keep it on top always)
- Your device need to be unlocked (seriously?!)
- Latest TWRP/SHRP build is highly recommended, e.g. mine: see my recovery post
- Do a full Nandroid backup before doing anything else!
- Samsung STOCK firmware should be on T285XXU0AQH1.
You can check your current firmware version in Android -> settings -> About / Phone info -> Baseband version
If you like try first without flashing this firmware but if you encounter any issues upgrade to this version first before reporting
Fast and (afaik) good site for downloading: https://sfirmware.com/samsung-sm-t285/
(scroll down and type T285XXU0AQH1 in the search box, choose the one for your country, download, flash as usual, flash TWRP/SHRP again, flash this ROM)
- When you flash diOS the first time:
Wipe: System and do a factory reset !
A LOT of bad stuff can happen otherwise
- Flash the ROM
- Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
- Flash OpenGapps ????? STOOOOOOOOP NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! diOS contains everything you need to live without Google!
- Boot (be patient on first boot!!! SIM detection might take a minute after the FIRST boot after clean flash as well)
- Open Maps (MagicEarth) and click the download button to get your country/region maps
- Open Automate to import the kioskmode flow
- Open F-Droid -> Settings -> Repositories and choose those you want to enable (most of them are described here) & swipe down to update the repo list.
- Open Aurora -> choose Anonymous as long as you don't want to have paid apps working
- no OMS support! OMS is a hack DEEP in the android sources and all these are outdated now. if you need that use jedl's build
- build is ENG , i.e. "adb root" will work and no auth required for ADB
- bluetooth is working but using the blobs by jedld's build until I find the time fixing the android sources (unfortunately the repo of jedld does not contain the full history so I have to compare manually...). Until then I keep it like that.
- not charging on USB connection (normal power supply works fine) - still investigating. Seems to be an issue with my kernel.
- This ROM is just coming with BASIC stuff so several apps you might want to see in a regular Android ROM are simply not there.
Examples (excerpt only!):
- no Camera app
- no Browser app
- no Gallery app
- no Email app
- no Calendar app
- no <fill-in-whatever-you-are-missing>
the complete list can be found here always
- If you find a bug not listed, follow the instructions here and provide me with the logs: FAQ #1
Get the builds from my leech server
- Builds are updated when I decide to do so. There is no build cycle.
- search results from this thread: click
- jedld, really! thanks dude, not just for giving a starting point but also for providing your sources.
- ... if I forgot to mention YOU, tell me
It took me a while (2 or 3 weeks iirc) to clean up all the sources from jedld in order to be able to update and keep in sync with LOS itself.. All these can be found here:
discoveryOS, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
steadfasterX, jedld (without his work I would never had bought that tab! he made all the main parts until 2018!)
Source Code: https://github.com/smt285
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x
Based On: /e/ OS
Beta Release Date: 2020-11-19
Last Updated 2020-11-20