• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[ROM] Dirty Unicorns 14.6 {Marlin} (08/08/20)

NYCHitman1

Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
New York

About Us:
Dirty Unicorns is an AOSP based project built to enhance the stock Android experience.

Our focus has been and is always to contribute back to the community. That is ultimately why we do what we do.

We DO NOT accept, nor ask, for donations. We do not believe in that. Everything that is necessary to keep this project going comes out of our own pocket. This includes, but is not limited to; Devices, Gerrit, our websites and services, etc.. The only thing that we ask in return is that you have patience, search the thread for answers prior to posting, read diligently, and try to enjoy the process with us!

Kernel Source:
https://github.com/DirtyUnicorns/android_kernel_google_marlin

Flashing Instructions:
If you have a device that uses TWRP
  • Verify that you're using the latest version of TWRP
  • Perform a FULL WIPE: (A full wipe is when you wipe system/data/cache/dalvik)
  • Flash the latest version of this ROM
  • Flash vendor image (once only to both slots if coming from another ROM) via bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot flash --slot all vendor vendor.img
  • Reboot and ENJOY!

If you have a device that does not use TWRP
  • Download boot.img and ROM zip from DU server
  • Reboot into bootloader and flash the boot.img

Code:
    fastboot flash --slot all boot boot.img
  • Reboot to recovery
  • Go to recovery select factory reset
  • Select Apply update from ADB to flash the zip

Code:
    adb sideload nameofbuild.zip
  • Flash vendor image (once only) via bootloader:
    Code:
    fastboot flash --slot all vendor vendor.img
  • Reboot and ENJOY!

If you're just updating DU on a device without TWRP
  • Download ROM zip from DU server
  • Reboot into recovery and select Apply update from ADB to flash the zip
  • Reboot system now and ENJOY!

**All bugs and feature requests must be reported to JIRA**

**If you use Xposed, please don't bother reporting any bugs**

**If you use another kernel, please don't bother reporting any bugs**

**If you fail to follow these instructions, please don't bother reporting any bugs**

Download Links:

Build(s) - Marlin

Other Links:

ROM Source - https://github.com/DirtyUnicorns

Gerrit - http://gerrit.dirtyunicorns.com

Crowdin (translations) - https://crowdin.net/project/dirtyunicorns

JIRA (Bug Reporting / Feature Requests) - http://jira.dirtyunicorns.com/

Telegram - https://t.me/dirtyunicorns / https://t.me/DirtyUnicornsSupport

XDA:DevDB Information
Dirty Unicorns, ROM for the Google Pixel XL

Contributors
NYCHitman1
Source Code: https://github.com/DirtyUnicorns

ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
Based On: AOSP

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 14.6
Stable Release Date: 2020-08-08

Created 2020-08-08
Last Updated 2020-08-25

Darthsternie

Feb 12, 2013
darthsternie.net
Was anyone able to install Magisk?
Whenever I try to install Magisk I get stuck in a Bootloop at the Google Logo.
Doesn't matter if I do KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true & KEEPVERITY=true in the .magisk for or false.
Wanted to test disable DM-Verity but TWRP is unable to mount /system_root (Neither TWRP 3.4.0.0 or 3.3.1 work)
My Phone has an encrypted Storage if that helps narrowing down the issue :)

imna357

Mar 31, 2010
washington, DC
Doesn't matter if I do KEEPFORCEENCRYPT=true & KEEPVERITY=true in the .magisk for or false.
Wanted to test disable DM-Verity but TWRP is unable to mount /system_root (Neither TWRP 3.4.0.0 or 3.3.1 work)
Try using the orangefox recovery when flashing the magisk, never had this issue

Aug 2, 2020
Magisk 19.3 installed without any issue using twrp 3.4.0.0

Oct 19, 2014
download both files, twrp.img and the twrp.zip, fastboot boot twrp.img then once in TWRP flash the twrp.zip...note, make sure to remove any PIN, password or any security on the ROM first, or else it will not decrypt:good:
Does that mean that you actually managed it to install TWRP permanently on a Pixel XL running the latest version on any Android 10 ROMs?

And what about when there's an OTA available. Do you have to reflash it then?

I'm seriously impressed, because TWRP themselves said flashing TWRP on Android 10 wouldn't be possible yet (at least on Marlin) :eek:

And last, but not least, can I put the pin/password/safety features back to activation after I installed TWRP?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020
Does that mean that you actually managed it to install TWRP permanently on a Pixel XL running the latest version on any Android 10 ROMs?

I'm seriously impressed, because TWRP themselves said flashing TWRP on Android 10 wouldn't be possible yet (at least on Marlin) :eek:

And last, but not least, can I put the pin/password/safety features back to activation after I installed TWRP?
How you mangaed to install TWRP on Android 10?
When I flashed TWRP after installing custom rom my phone won't boot. I have to flash a stock image to make it boot.

imna357

Mar 31, 2010
washington, DC

Yup, I'm on Bliss rom right now, tried all except GSI treble. When I'm doing update, I reboot to TWRP and wipe system and cache then flash the new update afterwards flash TWRP.ZIP again.

Can't install TWRP permanently, you need to flash it everytime you are doing an upgrade, that's just me

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
So you have TWRP permanently installed on Android 10? I can't get it to work :(
Head back over to the TWRP screen on your phone and swipe the slider that says "Swipe to Allow Modifications" if needed. Now you should be sitting on the TWRP main menu where you can then go into the "Advanced" section. From there, tap the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option, and finally, navigate to the "Download" folder where you copied the TWRP image file.

Tap the image file once to bring up the "Install Recovery" main screen and check the "Back up existing image first" option to backup your current recovery for safekeeping. Now slide the "Swipe to Install" button at the bottom to begin installing the permanent version of TWRP onto your system partition. After it finishes installing, press the home button, go to "Reboot," then "Recovery".

Attachments

GalaxyWhy

Dec 19, 2013
Melbourne

Yep i got it working, had to flash "twrp-pixel-installer-marlin-3.3.0-0.zip" and not the latest... dunno why but hey, it works!

Head back over to the TWRP screen on your phone and swipe the slider that says "Swipe to Allow Modifications" if needed. Now you should be sitting on the TWRP main menu where you can then go into the "Advanced" section. From there, tap the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" option, and finally, navigate to the "Download" folder where you copied the TWRP image file.

Tap the image file once to bring up the "Install Recovery" main screen and check the "Back up existing image first" option to backup your current recovery for safekeeping. Now slide the "Swipe to Install" button at the bottom to begin installing the permanent version of TWRP onto your system partition. After it finishes installing, press the home button, go to "Reboot," then "Recovery".
Does this work with latest TWRP as of june?
*EDIT*
Doesn't but "twrp-3.3.0-0-marlin.img" works following rodken's guide. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Help The Peace
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone