• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][DISCONTINUED][7.1.2][TB-X704F] LineageOS 14.1 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus

Search This thread

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Hello, thanks for your firmware.
It works really great! I am interested in what you are trying to fix next? I used AIDA and saw that fingerprint scanner is detected well. Thats the only thing that interests me. I always used it for unlocking tablet. Camera is not so useful cause of the bad quality. And both camera sensors didnt get detected. Does fingerprint issue have something to do with selinux?
Regards

I absolutely agree, Camera has a really low priority for me, while the fingerprint scanner has a normal priority. At the moment I am working on some things that will make my further development easier. I know this is boring from a user's point of view.
I don't think it has anything to do with seLinux. I've already invested a few hours in the scanner so that it is registered as an input device and the corresponding service is already running. The current problem is that the service doesn't find the fingerprint scanner.

Thank you for bringing AIDA64 to my attention, I know the tool for PC. The app shows some very interesting things, but unfortunately there is no app that shows all information. AIDA64 doesn't even ask for root privileges and doesn't offer an option to export the information to a file. Otherwise I use Device Info HW, together they complement each other quite well.

Does it work on TB-X804F?

Could it be that this model is only for the Asian market?

Which TWRP do you use, have you rooted the device?

And please edit your post and use the hide tag or add the properties as a file.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: Tschumi and yener90

Pbsipher1

Dec 8, 2018
New port richey, Florida
Note that the first build is only for the TB-X704F. I would like to support the other models as well, but I need the properties of the other 10 Plus devices:

TB-X704L (thanks to @ZimpleThing)
TB-X704V (thanks to @Sparkrite)
TB-X704A

If you own one of them and you are on the latest nougat update, please execute the following command and send me the file as PM.
Code:
adb shell getprop > getprop.txt

I own tab 4 10 tb-x304 would love to c a rom developed especially now there releasing oreo 8.1 to them. ive been looking but cant find.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
I own tab 4 10 tb-x304 would love to c a rom developed especially now there releasing oreo 8.1 to them. ive been looking but cant find.

Unfortunately I had to reject the Tab4 8 and will not develop a custom rom for the Tab4 10 either, the reasons are the same for both devices.
Besides, I don't understand what Android 8 has to do with it. This is a nougat rom and you can be happy to got an update.

Reactions: Pbsipher1

max_work

Jan 8, 2019
@LumenReaper, the gapps are working. just wanted to report back. Everything works great. you did an awesome job! the broken things you listed are not important for me, but if i could vote for the next thing to be fixed i would take the fingerprint sensor :)

Regards

Reactions: LumenReaper

yazayad

Feb 21, 2011
Great job @LumenReaper. Thank you for doing this time consuming work for our benefit.

When you say encryption is partly broken, am I correct in understanding that an already encrypted data partition will stay encrypted and functional as long as one doesn't wipe the data partition after/while flashing this ROM?

May I ask how high on your priority list it is to make the system partition writeable?

And SELinux is not able to be set to enforcing at the moment, correct?

The Destroyer

Dec 31, 2015
Toronto
It is great to see somebody finally trying to create a usable ROM for this tablet. I just purchased one a few weeks ago and was sad to see that an official LineageOS did not exist.

I do want to try to flash this ROM but I definitely need the fingerprint sensor working, so that get's my vote! Are there plans to maybe move this to LineageOS 15 at some point? Thanks.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
LumenReaper i am well pleased with this ROM, keep up the good work my friend

Thanks for flashing an early release.

@LumenReaper, the gapps are working. just wanted to report back.

Thanks for reporting back.

Great job @LumenReaper. Thank you for doing this time consuming work for our benefit.

When you say encryption is partly broken, am I correct in understanding that an already encrypted data partition will stay encrypted and functional as long as one doesn't wipe the data partition after/while flashing this ROM?

May I ask how high on your priority list it is to make the system partition writeable?

And SELinux is not able to be set to enforcing at the moment, correct?

You read carefully, so that's what I meant. One little detail; by wiping the encryption is not gone, only by formatting. Wiping is necessary for flashing.
SELinux is implemented last, if at all.

It is great to see somebody finally trying to create a usable ROM for this tablet. I just purchased one a few weeks ago and was sad to see that an official LineageOS did not exist.

I do want to try to flash this ROM but I definitely need the fingerprint sensor working, so that get's my vote! Are there plans to maybe move this to LineageOS 15 at some point? Thanks.

To all of you who vote for something here: you're welcome to do it, but it won't affect what I invest my time in. I can tell you that the next thing I will do is to get the system partition read-write, and then I'll decide what to do next.
@The Destroyer
I'm sorry you bought that tablet now. I developed this rom with the intention that I don't have to buy a new tablet because of outdated software. With releasing this rom I want to offer every owner a way out of Lenovo's bad update policy. This rom should not be a reason to give the company any more money by buying these devices now. I will never buy a Leonvo device again, whether it runs with Android or not.

Reactions: Tschumi

fn_noobee

Mar 5, 2012
I'm glad that I can keep my announcement from yesterday and publish a new build today.

Changelog:
- Upsteam LineageOS changes (including February Security Patch)
- More missing libraries added
- Changes for the TB-X704L
- Minor other changes

@max_work: Tested pico gapps with this build again, should work now.

This build contains the changes I made for the TB-X704L. The rom has not been tested with it yet. I also think it's likely, if it works with the TB-X704L, that it works with the V and A as well. Only flash this build to the untested devices if you know how to restore the tablet. As soon as I get feedback on these models, I adjust the thread title and first post.

I tried it on TB-X704V (4GB RAM/64GB ROM variant) following your instructions and can confirm it wasn't working for me. It would go to boot (splash screen) and then just flash on and off until I shut it off manually. Did a factory reset and tried everything else I could think of. No dice. Was able to manually go into Fastboot but adb commands when not in Fastboot weren't recognised. Tried to do a restore from TWRP, which put me in a boot loop (something was borked with my nandroid backup most likely due to it being on micro SD card). Was able to restore eventually by restoring stock recovery from TWRP. Then created a working system.img that could be flashed by Fastboot thanks to Sparkrite for uploading his factory OTA update on the TWRP thread. Back to running on stock 7.1.1 but have left my bootloader unlocked in case I want to do further testing. Hope this helps others with TB-X704V version who were wondering whether to flash or not. Don't know if it works for the L variant.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

@LumenReaper well said, Lenovo have failed badly with their lack of support for such a good looking and high spec tablet. until your support I had to fall back to my old Nexus 7 (2013)

I agree. What's absolutely egregious is not only have they done no version updates for the higher spec LTE variant of the 10 plus, but it's not even getting support for security updates. I have the 4GB/64GB version TB-X704V and it's still on December 17 security patches ffs! Meanwhile, the 8" is on Oreo 8.1 as of January of this year. I don't understand why Lenovo is supporting the cheaper version of the tab but not the more expensive higher spec variant.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
I tried it on TB-X704V (4GB RAM/64GB ROM variant) following your instructions and can confirm it wasn't working for me. It would go to boot (splash screen) and then just flash on and off until I shut it off manually. Did a factory reset and tried everything else I could think of. No dice. Was able to manually go into Fastboot but adb commands when not in Fastboot weren't recognised. Tried to do a restore from TWRP, which put me in a boot loop (something was borked with my nandroid backup most likely due to it being on micro SD card). Was able to restore eventually by restoring stock recovery from TWRP. Then created a working system.img that could be flashed by Fastboot thanks to Sparkrite for uploading his factory OTA update on the TWRP thread. Back to running on stock 7.1.1 but have left my bootloader unlocked in case I want to do further testing. Hope this helps others with TB-X704V version who were wondering whether to flash or not. Don't know if it works for the L variant.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I agree. What's absolutely egregious is not only have they done no version updates for the higher spec LTE variant of the 10 plus, but it's not even getting support for security updates. I have the 4GB/64GB version TB-X704V and it's still on December 17 security patches ffs! Meanwhile, the 8" is on Oreo 8.1 as of January of this year. I don't understand why Lenovo is supporting the cheaper version of the tab but not the more expensive higher spec variant.

Thank you for your bravery to test the rom on your X704V, too bad it didn't work out.

The way for me is over the X704L, unless that works, we won't be able to do the A and V either. Unfortunately, there are no news about the L yet.

Reactions: fn_noobee

ericDraven77

Jan 8, 2011
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
OnePlus 5
Maybe a stupid question, but why are you working on a Android 7 Version for the tablet and not a Android 8 or even 9?
I mean the tablet already has 7 and it works quite good as I think and Lenovo told everybody there will be no Andropid 8 or 9 for it, so this would be hardly looked for.

Thanks for an answer!

peterCR56

Apr 28, 2013
london
Maybe a stupid question, but why are you working on a Android 7 Version for the tablet and not a Android 8 or even 9?
I mean the tablet already has 7 and it works quite good as I think and Lenovo told everybody there will be no Andropid 8 or 9 for it, so this would be hardly looked for.

Thanks for an answer!

imo the version 7 that was on the tablet was frozen in time, no updates security or otherwise, it had been abandoned by Lenovo. @LumenReaper had to start somewhere so his developement has started where Lenovo left off and if nothing else we hopefully will at least get security updates and maybe more in time :)

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3

Thanks for an answer!

That's not a stupid question.
@peterCR56 is not wrong when he says that I continue where Lenovo left off, and there's a good reason for that: Lenovo released the kernel source from the nougat stock rom after a long time back and forth, and I extracted the drivers and stuff from the device. Creating a custom rom in the version already running on the device has the best chance of success.

I can tell you, however, that @yener90 has also jumped into development (he has a lot more experience than me) and is working on some cool things.

Stay tuned.

bow_one

Dec 15, 2014
Thanks for developing this ROM, flashed it on my tablet and the basics are working great so far.
I am developing an app that makes use of the Android CountDownTimer, and there's some issue where when the count down will be stuck for the last 2 seconds. This phenomenon happens in the stock rom and this rom too.

Dragon_200

Mar 8, 2019
Thanks for developing this ROM, flashed it on my tablet and the basics are working great so far.
I am developing an app that makes use of the Android CountDownTimer, and there's some issue where when the count down will be stuck for the last 2 seconds. This phenomenon happens in the stock rom and this rom too.

You install this ROM on 704F or 704L???

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Google Pixel 3
Thanks for installing. Since your problem also occurs on stock rom, this is unfortunately not a priority for me, as the list of broken things contains other stuff. Sry.

This custom ROM is more faster, than stock rom? i think install, but have some doubt, my stock rom sometimes slowly and lag

For my use cases the device is fast enough with LOS. Maybe you want to wait for answers from other users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
     * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. 
     * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it! 
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. 
     * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
     * Same statement for XDA.
     */

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7 (nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit the Gerrit Code Review.

What works:
    - Audio (speaker and audio out)
    - Bluetooth
    - FM radio
    - Fingerprint
    - USB port
    - Sdcard
    - Security patch level: 05.03.2019
    - WiFi

Broken:
    - AudioFX (crashes sometimes)
    - Encryption (partly)
    - Camera
    - Torchlight
    - Hall sensor
    - System is read-only
    - SElinux permissive

Download
    LineageOS 15.1 (Oreo) is available
    TWRP for TB-X704F/L
    LOS 14.1 for TB-X704F

Installation instructions
    1. Your bootloader has to be unlocked!
    2. Flash the TWRP recovery provided in the downloads section.
    3. Copy the LineageOS zip file provided in the downloads section to your tablet (or use "adb sideload").
    4. Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik/Art Cache and System. Optionally format Data to remove encryption.
    5. Finally you can install the LineageOS zip file.
    6. First boot will take a littler longer - If everything went as expected: Welcome to LineageOS 14.1!

Source code:
    device : android_device_lenovo_tb_x704f
    kernel: android_kernel_lenovo_msm8953
    vendor: android_vendor_lenovo_tb_x704f

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 14.1 for Lenovo Tab4 10 Plus, ROM for the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Contributors
    LumenReaper
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS/android/tree/cm-14.1

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-02-12
    Last Updated 2019-03-31
    Since Yener has fixed the fingerprint scanner under Oreo with the latest update, there is no reason to use this rom anymore. I end the support, so there will be no more updates. You are in good hands with Yener.

At the same time I made the decision to leave Android rom development temporarily because I have other projects and goals I want to take time for now. This will take at least two months. During this time I will periodically read the threads here and possibly post something, but I won't develop anything during this time.

This kind of software development has become a really interesting hobby for me, in which I would like to become even better, so you can be sure that I will join again. I already have one or two things I'd like to do at a later date.

To all those whom I have given hope that this rom will also support your devices (l,v,a), I am very sorry that I could not keep to this. Maybe you can get Yener to try it, with him you have a better chance of success thanks to his greater experience.

Also many thanks to all who have used my rom - even if only for a short time. :good:
    Lenovo didn't made it, so I made it :p
    Well done. :good: Are you uploading the device tree and kernel to GitHub please?

Would like to compile and test it myself. This really motivates me to invest more time in it again.

You cant use it, requires different TWRP.
    Nearly everything works. Just USB, Camera and Fingerprint not working.
    After fixing USB I will upload it :)

Thanks for an answer!

That's not a stupid question.
    @peterCR56 is not wrong when he says that I continue where Lenovo left off, and there's a good reason for that: Lenovo released the kernel source from the nougat stock rom after a long time back and forth, and I extracted the drivers and stuff from the device. Creating a custom rom in the version already running on the device has the best chance of success.

I can tell you, however, that @yener90 has also jumped into development (he has a lot more experience than me) and is working on some cool things.

Stay tuned.