• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 15.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

topo01

Aug 10, 2014
Munich
Xiaomi Mi 5
*Update*: Turning off wifi resulted in astonishing, close to 0 battery usage. I think you might be onto something here!
In that case don't forget to disable 'Scanning' in Location settings as it will use Wifi (and Bluetooth) even with WiFi (/Bluetooth) turned off in toggles.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I'm on LOS 16 and do not see that battery drain issue (with latest stable FW on a 64mb device).

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
Seems lots of people are complaining about battery life.
I personally don't have a problem with battery life. I'm posting so people know it might not be a rom issue.

I dirty flashed from 14.1 latest (whatever that was at the time).
I'm currently on 20190212 build, fw from 25.01.2019, opengapps pico and lineageos su. No magisk, xposed, custom kernel or whatever. I do have afwall blocking internet access for some apps.

Getting back to battery life, I don't see much difference between 14.1 and 15.1.
I have mobile data always on, use wifi mostly in the evenings at home (2.4GHz if you're wandering) and charge the battery once a day, either in the evening or during the night.
I generally get 4-5 hours SOT, doing mostly web browsing, some messaging (whatsapp, telegram), some videos and some other small stuff (like xda...). Usually not much gaming.
This is essentially the same as what I got on 14.1, and I have no complaints :good:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190213-201621_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190213-201621_Settings.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: topo01

harakiri576

Dec 14, 2012
Utrecht
I personally don't have a problem with battery life. I'm posting so people know it might not be a rom issue.

Do you use 5GHZ wifi networks anywhere?

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Oh, just noted in the LOS16 thread that it's in fact ready to be a daily driver.
Will dirty upgrade soon, the lazy basterd that I am.

vikashhero

Feb 17, 2011
London

I dirty flashed from 14.1 latest (whatever that was at the time).
I'm currently on 20190212 build, fw from 25.01.2019, opengapps pico and lineageos su. No magisk, xposed, custom kernel or whatever. I do have afwall blocking internet access for some apps.

Getting back to battery life, I don't see much difference between 14.1 and 15.1.
I have mobile data always on, use wifi mostly in the evenings at home (2.4GHz if you're wandering) and charge the battery once a day, either in the evening or during the night.
I generally get 4-5 hours SOT, doing mostly web browsing, some messaging (whatsapp, telegram), some videos and some other small stuff (like xda...). Usually not much gaming.
This is essentially the same as what I got on 14.1, and I have no complaints :good:

To reiterate, my battery life is completely fine when I'm connected to 2.4GHz WiFi networks. If your router supports it, I'd really appreciate you testing connectivity to 5GHz?

Kind regards,

Vik

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I don't think it's possible to test 2.4GHz wifi claim under oreo; you can't force 2.4GHZ only, apparently (do shout if you found a way!).
I don't have control over the APs at work and at most places, only home could I try this hypothesis.
But even if it is indeed the 5GHz wifi, there's no way to disable it everywhere, well, short of physically disconnecting the 5GHz antenna, which is possible although quite brute solution.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

yeah, the issues is, normally, turning off wifi would save you about 10-20% a day. here, under this rom, it saves that much _an hour_. This is definitely a bug.

Are you able to access your router settings? Failing that, could you tell me which model it is? I might be able to find out its default configs to see what it broadcasts at.

Kind regards,

Vik

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
To reiterate, my battery life is completely fine when I'm connected to 2.4GHz WiFi networks. If your router supports it, I'd really appreciate you testing connectivity to 5GHz?

Kind regards,

Vik

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Are you able to access your router settings? Failing that, could you tell me which model it is? I might be able to find out its default configs to see what it broadcasts at.

Kind regards,

Vik
I don't have 5GHz at home. If I happen to spend an extended period of time on a 5GHz network I'll report back.
Maybe I can set up a 5GHz hotspot from another phone. We'll see.

Reactions: vikashhero

timeo78

Jul 24, 2015
Can confirm the 5GHz behaviour for latest LOS 15.1, FW 8.8.30. Connection drops from time to time and gets reestablished in a few secs. For 2.4GHz it looks stable. Anyway it does not bother me much so I'll wait for LOS 16.

I don't think it's possible to test 2.4GHz wifi claim under oreo; you can't force 2.4GHZ only, apparently (do shout if you found a way!).
I don't have control over the APs at work and at most places, only home could I try this hypothesis.
But even if it is indeed the 5GHz wifi, there's no way to disable it everywhere, well, short of physically disconnecting the 5GHz antenna, which is possible although quite brute solution.

Reactions: vikashhero

harakiri576

Dec 14, 2012
Utrecht
Can confirm the 5GHz behaviour for latest LOS 15.1, FW 8.8.30. Connection drops from time to time and gets reestablished in a few secs. For 2.4GHz it looks stable. Anyway it does not bother me much so I'll wait for LOS 16.

I've updated to LOS16 yesterday. Well, it works mostly, so I'm fine with it, but it still has a somewhat higher idle usage than LOS14 (but definitely better than LOS15). It also has a few bugs, like system camera app corrupted (installed open camera instead from play store). Overall, I'm happy with it.

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015

Kind regards,

Vik
I used another phone to create a 5GHz hotspot and remained connected to it overnight.
Results:
Over a period of ~8:30 hours, battery dropped 5% from 98% to 93%. That seems to me pretty much the same as with 2.4GHz, though I haven't checked the exact numbers.
(note that I have 2 sim cards and mobile data always on)

vikashhero

Feb 17, 2011
London
I've updated to LOS16 yesterday. Well, it works mostly, so I'm fine with it, but it still has a somewhat higher idle usage than LOS14 (but definitely better than LOS15). It also has a few bugs, like system camera app corrupted (installed open camera instead from play store). Overall, I'm happy with it.

I don't suppose FDE is working on that yet (and the thread OP hasn't been updated to reflect this)?

reggger

Jan 12, 2017
Hello,

the app snoopsnitch allows to detect silent sms and imsi catchers for smartphones with a Qualcomm cpu. When I try to use that app it tells me that the network scan is not possible because the DIAG interface could not be initialized. Is there a workaround or can the DIAG interface be inserted into the rom?

Thanks for your help.

reggger

Jan 12, 2017
How is it to play pubg ? Please tell !!

Nobody will answer you because you try to force other people to respond and you double post without the need to do so. Additionally your post is in the wrong thread.
Altogether it seems you don’t have respect for people, so why should anybody help you?

Try all the roms for yourself and find out which is best for pubg. All I can say is that lineageos 15.1 is the most stable rom right now, I think stability is far more important for competitive gaming than performance.

FrikyBCN

Nov 2, 2010
Hi all

I installed this ROM about a month ago, and have been loving it. I upgraded a few times since and no problems until today. I have the 15.1-20190221-nightly installed since Friday (today is Tuesday) and it was fine all weekend and on Monday, but this morning the phone took ages to start up. I immediately noticed that the auto-rotate had stopped working. I have an app called Sensors Multitool, which is a good way to see how all the phone sensors (accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer, etc) are performing (see screenshot on the play store link I posted). To my surprise, the only visible sensors are Battery, Wifi and GPS - everything else is gone. The camera doesn't appear to be working either.

I need to do more investigation but wanted to flag it here as soon as possible.

What do people normally do when they come across issues like this? Downgrade to an earlier working version, or wait for a hopeful fix?

thanks!

booci

Jan 28, 2009
Buzau
Thanks for the data point. After a few restarts, it appears to be back to normal again. As you say, it may be hardware, although it's always difficult to say when the software has recently been updated. I'll wait a few weeks before updating again, just to see how things lie.

No major updates that could influence performance in the way you described it.
Take a look here.

Reactions: FrikyBCN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 8.1 (Oreo), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:
    Broken:
    • Nothing?

Working:
    • Camera (and flashlight)
    • WiFi
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • Telephony (Calls and Data)
    • Audio (Record and Playback)
    • Video Playback
    • Sensors
    • GPS
    • VoLTE

5288140b-6133-436c-9d9a-69adf6e2631e.jpg
    b32db64c-ed7e-46e9-b259-2d0eaf36c22f.jpg
    6138ef54-b1d8-4aa6-98e0-6edab6c3b67c.jpg

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB). Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 8.5.10 dev package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Format /system, /data and /cache
    • Install LineageOS zip package
    • Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important notes:

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped. Last but not least, pleasure having @luca020400 and @LuK1337 onboard since the bring-up of the whole Xiaomi 8996 family, that lately did the major work in the O era.

Finally, all LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:

Changelog:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 15.1, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 5

Contributors
    bgcngm, Mi5Devs
    ROM OS Version: 8.1 Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.71
    ROM Firmware Required: MIUI 8.5.10 dev

Version Information

Created 2017-09-07
    Last Updated 2018-02-25
    Who wants a taste of Oreo with working camera? Grab the fresh link in the first post.

All credits goes to @highwaystar_ru for the huge help with the reverse engineering of the stock camera HAL.
    First of all, happy new year everyone! :highfive:

I have just uploaded a new build with some more features ported (LiveDisplay is still broken), but the most important of all is that kernel is now based on the latest 8.1 tag and we're now using full CAF HALs (previous builds were compiled with display and media AOSP HALs). Feedback is appreciated, since this is again a major change.

Last but not least, my "new" gemini should arrive tomorrow. :D
    So... Android 8.1 sources have dropped a couple days ago. :victory: Next release to be shared will hopefully be based on it (I don't expect any major issue to arise) and I'll keep using this thread. Stay tuned. ;)
    New build is up. Nothing really new in terms of features, but fixed audio and front facing camera render. Enjoy! :cool: