LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.
Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.
Broken / not yet supported:
- Something must be broken, right?
- Camera (and flashlight)
- Telephony (Calls and Data)
- Audio (Record and Playback)
- Video Playback
Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi MIX variants (64GB / 128GB / 256GB).
Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 8.8.30 dev package.
- No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.
- Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi MIX - Direct link)
- Format /system, /data and /cache
- Install LineageOS zip package
- Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
- Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
- Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI 8.8.30 Global dev, otherwise installation will fail.
- GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
- Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.
Credits & collaborations:
This work is due to efforts from everyone involved in Xiaomi 8996 development. The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!