• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 16.0 weeklies for Xiaomi Mi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gbagiryan

Apr 12, 2020
pixel launcher

Hi I used this rom for some time. Today I got an update, after updating and rebooting it keeps saying that "pixel launcher keeps stopping". Basically the phone doesn't work. Can anyone help?

deswink

Nov 24, 2016
Hi I used this rom for some time. Today I got an update, after updating and rebooting it keeps saying that "pixel launcher keeps stopping". Basically the phone doesn't work. Can anyone help?

I would boot into safe mode and temporarily disable the pixel launcher app. On Google you can find plenty of tutorials to boot into safe mode if you don't know how.

Lhynx

Jan 10, 2020
Problems with home button

Last update made my home button not working, I click it and nothing happens, also fingerprint reader capabilities are not working, so cannot unlock with my fingerprint. I appreciate any advice about how to resolve this

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
Last update made my home button not working, I click it and nothing happens, also fingerprint reader capabilities are not working, so cannot unlock with my fingerprint. I appreciate any advice about how to resolve this
Had a similar issue once. Nothing I tried helped.
Ended up doing this which worked:
backup everything (with twrp), install Miui, boot once, if home button works again reinstall from backup.

herpsnderpsn

Apr 28, 2020
GPS not working properly

i had to reinstal miui because i had problems with the gps with lineageos 16 on the mi 5. what happened was, that it took very long to lock and then it just was extremely inaccurate with accuracy at about 50-150m and also losing signal from time to time. with the latest miui (xiaomi eu) and android 8 i have no problems with the gps.
can anyone confirm this? if you test it, use gps only in the gps settings and an app like gps test with it please, and not google maps for example.
Maybe it will take a few minutes, but then the gps signal will go really bad. at least thats for me the case.

t0ma5

Jul 4, 2016
i had to reinstal miui because i had problems with the gps with lineageos 16 on the mi 5. what happened was, that it took very long to lock and then it just was extremely inaccurate with accuracy at about 50-150m and also losing signal from time to time. with the latest miui (xiaomi eu) and android 8 i have no problems with the gps.
can anyone confirm this? if you test it, use gps only in the gps settings and an app like gps test with it please, and not google maps for example.
Maybe it will take a few minutes, but then the gps signal will go really bad. at least thats for me the case.
I don't use GPS often but when I do need I face the same issues. I have no Gapps installed and use Google maps open source alternative app

ifgrecu

Jan 16, 2019
Roman

The GPS on LOS 16 is extremely bad! At first it was ok. Quick lock on satellites, great accuracy. After a few updates everything is messed up. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes + to get a lock.
I'm on the verge to trow this phone to the garbage!
1. Super bad battery life (changed 2 batteries and still the same sot). I'm constantly charging whenever I find a plug.
2. Extremely bad camera on LOS 16. I've tried every gcam mod out there and nothing works perfectly. When I was on miui they camera was outstanding, flawless. I was able to use long exposure. This is impossible with LOS. I can't take a night picture and set 32 seconds exposure.
3. The GPS is awful. Imagine being in the mountains and waiting for 40 minutes to get a lock. I'm using a xiaomi A1 and the GPS on that thing is instant.
4. It's lagging. Major! I don't know why! And it's getting worse with every update. I've noticed alot of overheating and the cpu is throttled.. Max 900mhz on all cores..

I tested the xiaomi A3 recently and it's below the mi5 on every aspect, but it's smooth as butter. Everything! And the battery last for days and days with BT on, Wi-Fi, data...

t0ma5

Jul 4, 2016
The GPS on LOS 16 is extremely bad! At first it was ok. Quick lock on satellites, great accuracy. After a few updates everything is messed up. Sometimes it takes 30 minutes + to get a lock.
I'm on the verge to trow this phone to the garbage!
1. Super bad battery life (changed 2 batteries and still the same sot). I'm constantly charging whenever I find a plug.
2. Extremely bad camera on LOS 16. I've tried every gcam mod out there and nothing works perfectly. When I was on miui they camera was outstanding, flawless. I was able to use long exposure. This is impossible with LOS. I can't take a night picture and set 32 seconds exposure.
3. The GPS is awful. Imagine being in the mountains and waiting for 40 minutes to get a lock. I'm using a xiaomi A1 and the GPS on that thing is instant.
4. It's lagging. Major! I don't know why! And it's getting worse with every update. I've noticed alot of overheating and the cpu is throttled.. Max 900mhz on all cores..
My only problem is the GPS not locking in ages... I don't have battery problems, camera issues, or OS lag :eek:
Maybe you should try a MIUI based custom Rom

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
same for me. everything except gps was working fine

To be really honest, this is the first time that I am seeing complains about GPS. I am quite surprised because it was always working fine for me when this device was my daily driver. I am currently working on promoting it to 17.1 and certainly GPS is something that I will thoroughly test.

SaViNGOD

Oct 1, 2017
Togliatty
and certainly GPS is something that I will thoroughly test.

There is no any problem with GPS on LOS16 for me (I mean October-January builds, but I don't know about later builds..) but for Los17.1 it seems not so
fast start and accuracy about 20-50 meters. In other ROMs it was about 3-10 meters in the same conditions. (My location is home, the same time and weather)

Last edited:

vitna

Feb 10, 2013
I went from MIUI (Xiaomi.eu) 2-3 months ago to LOS 16 (nightly, current = 16.0-20200405-NIGHTLY-gemini). The main problem for me - was awful memory management in the MIUI. If the phone had more memory, I would not change the firmware (3/64G).
Despite a number of differences (flaws) compared to MIUI I'm still with LOS )))
Acording to GPS and all the above mentioned problems (gps, battery, etc):
- I don't face with any such problems.
I use gps every day and it works quate good (battery saving = off, emergency location = off, google location = off).
(In case I have some questions to gps in any applicatoins, I start AndroiTS GPS app to check the current state/status of gps and sattelites).
The battery life in LOS is definitely don't worse then in MIUI.
PS. Writting this reply once again positively rated the work of memory management in LOS. Thanks to developers!

emopandov

Oct 26, 2016
Hello everyone,
I have echo issue after flashing LineageOS 16 on my MI 5. When I talk with someone using Viber, Messenger, Skype, etc., they have huge echo and they hear their voice back after a second. The problem is present with camera on and off. When I use headphones everything is OK. When I talk to them calling via the mobile carrier and we both turn the speakers on the echo is present but it is low and bearable.
I didn't have this issue when I was on stock MIUI 10.
I searched for a fix but to no avail. I tried the fix for the Poco F1 described here https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/themes/fix-noises-echoes-mic-t3886049, but without any luck as nothing changes.
It seems many people have similar issues but no solid remedy is available so far.
Any help would be appreciated.

harakiri576

Dec 14, 2012
Utrecht
GPS

For all the people with GPS problems

Try Magisk! It has a module called Global Optimized GPS File Replacer. That works.

This ROM is still the best there is for the aging mi5.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Hello everyone,
I have echo issue after flashing LineageOS 16 on my MI 5. When I talk with someone using Viber, Messenger, Skype, etc., they have huge echo and they hear their voice back after a second. The problem is present with camera on and off. When I use headphones everything is OK. When I talk to them calling via the mobile carrier and we both turn the speakers on the echo is present but it is low and bearable.
I didn't have this issue when I was on stock MIUI 10.
I searched for a fix but to no avail. I tried the fix for the Poco F1 described here https://forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/themes/fix-noises-echoes-mic-t3886049, but without any luck as nothing changes.
It seems many people have similar issues but no solid remedy is available so far.
Any help would be appreciated.

Just a tip: could very well be that one of your microphones is blocked or malfunctioning. That could cause echo cancellation to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 9 (Pie), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:
    Broken / not yet supported:
    • Something must be broken, right?

Working:
    • Camera (and flashlight)
    • WiFi
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • ANT+
    • Telephony (Calls and Data)
    • Audio (Record and Playback)
    • Video Playback
    • Sensors
    • GPS

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB). Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI 8.5.10 dev package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Format /system, /data and /cache
    • Install LineageOS zip package
    • Install [optional] the LineageOS su addon to get root (there are obviously other root methods, but this is the recommended one as it survives to OTA updates)
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important notes:

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped. Last but not least, pleasure having @luca020400 and @LuK1337 onboard since the bring-up of the whole Xiaomi 8996 family.

Finally, all LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS 16.0, ROM for the Xiaomi Mi 5

Contributors
    bgcngm, Mi5Devs
    ROM OS Version: 9 Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.18.120
    ROM Firmware Required: MIUI 8.8.30 dev

Version Information

Created 2018-08-31
    Last Updated 2018-08-31
    https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/hudson/+/258417

Nightlies will be back once the next builds are queued and completed.
    This month's build is up. It could almost be official.
    New build is up, with some more features ported, kernel with latest CAF P-based tag merged and enforcing SELinux. Ohh... and this month's ASB merged too!