• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM][DISCONTINUED] LineageOS 17.1 for Xiaomi Mi 5

Search This thread

booci

Jan 28, 2009
Buzau
Just came back from vacation. I used gps alot. No problems. You all must be doing something wrong since there were no commits regarding gps so it is not possible that something broke gps. Maybe it woludn\t be a bad ideea for all guys with gps problems to describe how you perform a clean install of this ROM.

swedkg

Jan 30, 2011
I don't see any issues here, accuracy also seems fine. This is after GPS cold start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200725-181500_GPS_Status.png
    Screenshot_20200725-181500_GPS_Status.png
    255 KB · Views: 299

mruibal

Apr 19, 2011
I made a clean install and GPS is not ok. It sees a lot of satellites but It is unable to get locación. Software bug.

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

pl4yeR

Dec 20, 2008
Same here. It took too long to get a lock. After that it seems to work ok but this is a problem whenever you change your city...

Enviado desde mi Mi 5 mediante Tapatalk

booci

Jan 28, 2009
Buzau
Describe how you do clean install. I bet you are doing something wrong. If you do not want to, it's ok, but please stop complaining, because GPS works fine, it has been working fine from the start.

mruibal

Apr 19, 2011
I do a clean install as follows:
use twrp 3.4
connect gemini to pc.
boot in Twrp
Select format and wipe cache and system.
Activate adbsideload
Use adbsideload to push last los17.1 rom
Use adbsideload to push gapps stock.
Result is GPS buggy.
GPS worked fine with the first official 17.1 versión.

Enviado desde mi ZUK Z1 mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: FrikyBCN

radau

Mar 14, 2011
OnePlus 8 Pro
Clean install DOES NOT fix gps for some people, including me.

In my case only flashing .tgz in miflash and fastbooting twrp prior to the installation helped solve the situation completely.
Try latest fastboot .tgz or miui_MI5Global_8.10.25_98c6f2684a_8.0 (worked in my case).

Then do the following

boot to twrp recovery
go to wipe
then go to advanced wipe
select everything and wipe
then go to format and type yes and format
then install/flash in this order
firmware
lineage os
gapps
then wipe dalvik and cache and restart

Last edited:

radau

Mar 14, 2011
OnePlus 8 Pro
Despite seen 8 satellites a GPS lock tooks more than 15 minutes and is unstable. It is not a hardware problem.View attachment 5068609

Enviado desde mi MI 5 mediante Tapatalk

It is clearly not hardware. Mine was the same and took 10 minutes. Now it is 3-5 seconds (first lock took about 1 minute). Please do as i wrote above, there is no sense in posting the same things every day when there is a solution offered.

Reactions: FrikyBCN

lfourquaux

Jun 18, 2020
math.lionel.fourquaux.org
Reactions: Yarda770

herpsnderpsn

Apr 28, 2020
if you have GPS PROBLEMS pls do the following. And do it exactly as described. Don't miss anything. Don't do anything different just because you are accustomed to it. Do it like a monkey. step by step:

- boot to twrp recovery
- go to wipe
- then go to advanced wipe
- select everything and wipe
- then go to format and type yes and format
- then install/flash in this order
- firmware
(download the stable global version. not the weekly or chinese or another one. you most likely f*u*c*k your gps up with a different firmware. Its the first download link if you scroll a bit down.
THIS VERSION: "----------->5stable V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM 8.0 Global 2019-01-25" <<-------- AND NOT A DIFFERENT ONE) link: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/archive/firmware/gemini/
- lineage os
- gapps
- then wipe dalvik and cache and restart

if it still does not work, download the latest fastboot rom and flash it via fastboot with the miui flash tool beforehand and then repeat the steps from above again

Last edited:

Hakikidaredevil

Jun 8, 2018
GPS is broken in this ROM. It won't get fixed if you wipe everything 7 times n flash the ROM 3 times while holding the phone upside down and ----> lick the charging cable <----- all together. Or would it?

herpsnderpsn

Apr 28, 2020
GPS is broken in this ROM. It won't get fixed if you wipe everything 7 times n flash the ROM 3 times while holding the phone upside down and ----> lick the charging cable <----- all together. Or would it?

GPS works for most of the people and for those that it didn't, they had the wrong firmware installed and just installed lineageos over it. after they did the steps from above it worked. but if you want to lick the charging cable and hold the phone upside down :) be my guest. i would suggest additionally to put it in a circle of your old phones while chanting the kernel source code when you flash it to increase chances of succes:D

Hakikidaredevil

Jun 8, 2018
GPS works for most of the people and for those that it didn't, they had the wrong firmware installed and just installed lineageos over it. after they did the steps from above it worked. but if you want to lick the charging cable and hold the phone upside down :) be my guest. i would suggest additionally to put it in a circle of your old phones while chanting the kernel source code when you flash it to increase chances of succes:D

Well GPS doesn't work for many people and as mentioned in earlier pages of this topic changing firmware doesn't help the situation. So writing every step of a clean install to show your writing skills n pure genius solves nothing. And for those whom have a GPS problem; if you try any other Q ROM, GPS would work as expected. This shows the problem is not about how good your are at clean installing a ROM but the ROM itself.

mruibal

Apr 19, 2011
I got tired with GPS issues from this rom.
I just installed Pixel Experience Official and the GPS got a fix in less than a second!
Despite this, I give a lot of thanks to developers of LOS 17.1 for their awesome work. Nevertheless I must say that in my case I found a better solution in other rom.
Thank you for your help.

veloc_h

Oct 10, 2019
just wonder how many of the people who updated their firmware, wiped all their partitiions and installed the stable firmware. And how many of the people who installed e.g. pixel-rom after their GPS-problems, wiped the partitions beforehand...

deswink

Nov 24, 2016
just wonder how many of the people who updated their firmware, wiped all their partitiions and installed the stable firmware. And how many of the people who installed e.g. pixel-rom after their GPS-problems, wiped the partitions beforehand...

When I went from lineageos 16 to 17 I formatted data, wiped dalvik and cache and installed the latest firmware again (which I was already running). My GPS did not work. Last week I installed the enhanced lineageos 17 rom. I formatted my data once again and wiped dalvik and cache. This time I did nothing with the firmware. The GPS instantly worked in that ROM.

Why are all of you so stubborn to think that if something works on YOUR phone it MUST work on all phones? I've been flashing custom ROMs for years and there have always been user specific problems. I recall an issue in lineageos 14 or 15 where the sound for some users (including me) didn't work for months. It had always worked but after a certain update it got broken for some users. We tried everything including full wipes but nothing worked. The only fix was to stay on the old build which didn't include the bug. After a few months the dev managed to find the issue and fix it.

The moral of the story is that if so many users are reporting GPS problems it isn't a fluke anymore. Most people that are still running this rom have been doing so for years and know how to flash ROMs. I'm not blaming the dev for this issue. The phone is 4 years old after all, and developing for this device must be incredibly difficult. There are so many factors and use cases that make or break a ROM.

That's all :)

Reactions: FrikyBCN and dced

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 10 (Q), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Base source code is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to the project, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

GPL compliance:
    yG18r6g.png

Broken / not yet supported:
    • VoLTE (?)

Working:
    • Camera (and flashlight)
    • WiFi
    • NFC
    • Bluetooth
    • Telephony (Calls and Data)
    • Audio (Record and Playback)
    • Video Playback
    • Sensors
    • GPS
    • HW crypto (FDE)

Compatibility:
    Compatible with all Xiaomi Mi 5 variants (32GB / 64GB / 128GB). Xiaomi Mi 5S and 5S Plus are not supported.​
    Builds are based off the Xiaomi's Android 8.0 firmware with proprietary blobs from MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable package.​

Downloads:

Notice:
    • No custom kernels are supported in this thread. Only stock kernel and official builds will be supported. No bug reports if that's not the case.

Installation:
    • Reboot to recovery (TWRP recovery for Mi 5 - Direct link)
    • Format /system, /data and /cache
    • Install LineageOS zip package
    • Install [optional] a Google Apps package of your choice (Open GApps is advisable, but stock and super variants are not recommended!!!)
    Important notes:
    • Current minimal * required * firmware version is MIUI V10.2.2.0.OAAMIXM global stable, otherwise installation will fail. Download the latest dev fastboot package directly from Xiaomi and flash it prior to installing LineageOS or, alternatively, download and install one of the latest custom packages containing firmware only (at your own risk).
    • GApps can only be flashed on clean installs.
    • Formatting data (all user data is wiped, including internal storage) is a must if MIUI was previously installed and device was encrypted.

Credits & collaborations:
    This work is due to efforts from Mi5Devs founding members (@h2o64 and me) that did the full device bring-up. Huge thanks to @deovferreira for all the help during the kernel bring-up after source code dropped. Last but not least, pleasure having @luca020400 and @LuK1337 onboard since the bring-up of the whole Xiaomi 8996 family.​
    Finally, all LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!​

Device wiki:
    Will Mi5 migrate from los 17 -> los17.1 with fixes? We have been waiting for the update with impatience for a month now, I hope you have not "abandoned" us, thanks for continuing to support our device.

Yes, the next build will be 17.1 and I will be releasing it this week. I didn't abandon you guys, don't worry.
    Good news, folks. I decided to move Mi 5 to official 17.1 builds. :victory:
    The new build is up as promised. Enjoy! :highfive:
    Guess what... a new build is up. Let's see if if I can enable official nightlies soon. :fingers-crossed: