• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [EI22] [CWM5] [BML] CleanGB 1.0.3 ( 2011/12/31 )

Search This thread

toadlife

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
THIS ROM IS OBSOLETE. PLEASE SEE THE NEW VERSION.

CleanGB_LOGO.png

For those of us who just want our phones to $%#^@! work.

This is a clean EI22 based ROM with a custom Black theme. Most of the preloaded Sprint software is removed, with the exception of ThinkFree Office, MyFiles, and Memo. This ROM puts stability ahead of new features and is usally behind the curve when it comes to the latest mods. Those who are into bleeding edge/ricer ROMs will probably find this ROM boring.

Feature List:
  • Based on the original leaked EI22 NANDroid dump (noobnl)
  • Deodexed
  • Custom EI22 kernel with the following features: (source)
    • init.d script support
    • busybox/su
    • keyboard fixes
    • overclocking to 1.4Ghz
    • Voltage control
    • WIFI stability fixes
    • CWM5 Support
    • bootanimation.zip support (None included by default. Place one into '/system/media' and it will play)
  • Carrier IQ ("CIQ") removed (k0nane)
  • RFS file system
  • Stock Gingerbread Launcher with 3D fix (hoffman1984)
  • GPS Fix (hienkhieu)
  • Proper Reboot and Reboot to CWM Recovery on the power menu (Thanks to untermensch for the excellent quide)
  • Hacked Sprint Hotspot (Tortel1210)
  • 1% battery (Icons by Mendozinas)
  • 3G/1x icon fix (SenseiSimple)
  • CRT Off
  • CRT On (Thanks to Whitehawkx for the guide)
  • No battery popup
  • Screen stays off when unplugged
  • Volume rocker mod (sound on to vibrate to silent) (mkasick)
  • Silent Camera (SenseiSimple)
  • Scrollable Status Toggles - with 4G Button (lidroid, SensieSimple, 4G button mod, other fixes mods by me)

Howto and Review videos (thanks to qbking77!)

Downloads:
Full Version: CleanGB 1.0.3 (140MB) (MD5: D35C3C99363782F40906DFF0CFE60CB1)
ROM Manager Web Connect Link: CleanGB 1.0.3
Kernel: CleanGB Kernel / 2011-12-13 / capacitive button fix (source) (Note: This is the kernel in CleanGB 1.0.3)
Kernel (no root): CleanGB Kernel / without root (source) (Note: This is the kernel from CleanGB 1.0 modified to remove root access at bootup - see the FAQ item on why this exists)

Boot into CWM and flash. Info on CWM

Optional Mods:
No SMS/MMS messages in call logs (LogsProvider fix)
TouchWiz30 Launcher
Touchwiz Widgets (only usefull if you use the TouchWiz Launcher
Epic Live Wallpapers

If you like my ROM, buy me a beer!

Last edited:

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
FAQ

FAQ:

Q: What's with the 'no root' kernel?
A: There are certain programs that will refuse the work if you have root access. The 'no root' kernel will strip root access at bootup and allow programs which refuse to run on rooted devices to run. To re-obtain root acess all you have to do is flash the regular CleanGB kernel in the first post.

Q: Where is the bootanimation.zip and how can I change the boot animation?
A: The stock boot animation is actually contained in the framework-res.apk file. If you want to use a custom boot animation, all you have to do is place your bootanimation.zip in the /system/media directory and it will play instead of the stock one.

Q: What about [insert feature here]?
A: See the todo list below

Todo/Coming Soon:

Change Log:

CleanGB 1.0.3

• Power menu mod enhancement: Reboot dialog and progress now show "Reboot", "Your phone will reboot", "Rebooting...", instead of "Power Off", "Your phone will shut down.", "Shutting down..."
  • Fix for power menu bug (see this)
  • Fixed init.d script support, which was broken (and no one ever noticed!)

CleanGB 1.0

• New kernel with capacitive button light fix
  • Scrollable Status bar toggles with 4G button

Build 18

• Removed broken talkback app from system

Build 17

• Improved kernel with stability fixes
  • Updated stock apps
    • Books
    • Gmail
    • Maps
    • Talkback
    • Market
    • Sprint Voice Mail
    • Youtube
  • Silent Camera
  • CRT On
  • Removed left over CIQ lib

Build 16

• ClockworkMod 5.x /ROM Manager Support

Build 15

• Changed theme to account for apps that put black text in dropdown menu items
  • Put back "MyFiles" app as multiple sprint apps rely on it
  • Restored ClockPackage that links to MyFiles

Build 14

• New Kernel - change to how ext4 partitions are mounted; will give you ext4 users those uber fast quadrant scores (that mean nothing).
  • Clock app was hard coded to use the "MyFiles" app (which is not in this ROM) to chose alarm tones. Hacked app to remove that feature.
  • Zipaligned apk files (yes, I forgot to do it) :eek:

Build 13

• Added Kernel that supports overclocking to 1.4Ghz and voltage changes (source is in first post)
  • Removed useless buddiesnow package
  • Fixed voicemail notifications (black text on black background)
  • Added ext4 version

Build 12

• Added 3g/1x icon fix (Screw you Sprint!)
  • Added all-black wallpaper to launcher's wallpaper picker to match default all black wallpaper
  • Added /system/etc/init.d directory for init.d script support

Build 0-11
  • I don't remember :D

Last edited:

tony45x220

Oct 26, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Wow I absolutely LOVE all this new development buzz we've gotten since the drop of our official GB...finally feeling like I have the right phone again!...looking forward to your ROM...any screenshots?

Sent from my rooted, suited, & booted Epic 4G #knowdat!

tony45x220

Oct 26, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Honestly, I don't give a crap about CIQ, so it's not a high priority but since lots of people care about it, I'll incorporate it as soon as someone releases a noCIQ friendly hotspot hack.

Thanks for posting some screenies...and not for nothing but doesn't removong CIQ make a small improvement on battery performance and free up a little extra RAM...I mean after all were only working with 385mb as opposed to the new standard of 1GB?

Edit: theme looks nice and clean looking forward to your updates.

Sent from my rooted, suited, & booted Epic 4G #knowdat!

stilesja

Feb 22, 2011
Knoxville
Wow I like the theme. When I saw blackish theme I was a little's turned off at first because I kind of hate those ones where literally everything is black and there is very little color at all. But when I saw the pictures I liked it as it looks mostly stock but with more black. Very classy looking.

Quick question: I've been hesitating on some of the other Tom's as they have had GPS or data or other weird issues that I am just not having running stock odexed with mkasick's ei22 key fix kernel and the GPS fix. I didn't know if the common theme there was the leaked dump or not. Have you seen anything like that with yours?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
Quick question: I've been hesitating on some of the other Tom's as they have had GPS or data or other weird issues that I am just not having running stock odexed with mkasick's ei22 key fix kernel and the GPS fix. I didn't know if the common theme there was the leaked dump or not. Have you seen anything like that with yours?

To be honest, I've had a few hiccups with EI22 that I never had with EH17. GPS has worked fine for me, but once or twice bluetooth has gotten stuck while turning on and the phone went into a zombie-like state. The bluetooth libraries and firmware are the same in EI22 as they were in EH17, so if there is a problem it has to be in the kernel. That's why I'm sticking as close to stock kernel as I can right now.

I've personally had no issues with data or WIFI.

Trident

Sep 1, 2005
Disney World
Any chance of getting the power menu mod that includes REBOOT (and Reboot to recovery)?
Amazingly, this is the only EI22 ROM so far that has a battery % mod. Congrats!

Reactions: toadlife

djjroc007

Apr 27, 2011
Detroit
Battery life is pretty sick on this! Unplugged at 100% before going to bed last night, and after six hours of sleep it was at 97%. Its now almost 12: 30, and am at 68%! Haven't even connected to my wifi yet, but do have an airrave, so I'm sure that helps. Thank you for this! Wondering how much more I would get out of it by flashing rodderick's nociq over this. Like the black too. Nice work!

6b1ef8a3-ffeb-44fc.jpg
6b1ef8a3-0001-1d81.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Last edited:

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
May I ask why everyone is including the GPS fix into their ROMs? From my understanding from this thread. You don't need all the GPS locks as it is not needed and the reason you don't without the fix is to save battery life. I think the reason people have been wanting the fix was due to a separate issue that has since then been fixed.

You should leave the GPS fix out for those who don't want it. You can get good accuracy with just a few locks, and anymore locks is just a waste of battery life.

nimaim

Aug 28, 2010
May I ask why everyone is including the GPS fix into their ROMs? From my understanding from this thread. You don't need all the GPS locks as it is not needed and the reason you don't without the fix is to save battery life. I think the reason people have been wanting the fix was due to a separate issue that has since then been fixed.

You should leave the GPS fix out for those who don't want it. You can get good accuracy with just a few locks, and anymore locks is just a waste of battery life.
I think noobnl corrected his post since then to say that Samsung forgot to update the gpsd in the new EI22, still using a very old one from the early GB leaks and leaving us with a broken and half-working GPS. Therefore, it seems the only decent way to get good GPS performance again is to flash the GPS fix, which copies over the GPS daemon from the Fascinate (same as CM7).

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
I think noobnl corrected his post since then to say that Samsung forgot to update the gpsd in the new EI22, still using a very old one from the early GB leaks and leaving us with a broken and half-working GPS. Therefore, it seems the only decent way to get good GPS performance again is to flash the GPS fix, which copies over the GPS daemon from the Fascinate (same as CM7).

Okay, the post was kinda confusing. I don't have the GPS fix on my current ROM and I get quick/accurate GPS... is it broke in some other way?

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA

I am going to run my phone without the GPS fix for the few days and see how it goes. I'm very heavy GPS user so if there is a problem I will notice it. If GPS runs fine for me I will probably remove the fix because battery life is more important to me than useless extra satelite locks.

Reactions: willow_ve

chkchkboom

Oct 18, 2011
We see eye to eye toad...nice clean stockish thing you got going on here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS ROM IS OBSOLETE. PLEASE SEE THE NEW VERSION.

CleanGB_LOGO.png

For those of us who just want our phones to $%#^@! work.

This is a clean EI22 based ROM with a custom Black theme. Most of the preloaded Sprint software is removed, with the exception of ThinkFree Office, MyFiles, and Memo. This ROM puts stability ahead of new features and is usally behind the curve when it comes to the latest mods. Those who are into bleeding edge/ricer ROMs will probably find this ROM boring.

Feature List:
    • Based on the original leaked EI22 NANDroid dump (noobnl)
    • Deodexed
    • Custom EI22 kernel with the following features: (source)
      • init.d script support
      • busybox/su
      • keyboard fixes
      • overclocking to 1.4Ghz
      • Voltage control
      • WIFI stability fixes
      • CWM5 Support
      • bootanimation.zip support (None included by default. Place one into '/system/media' and it will play)
    • Carrier IQ ("CIQ") removed (k0nane)
    • RFS file system
    • Stock Gingerbread Launcher with 3D fix (hoffman1984)
    • GPS Fix (hienkhieu)
    • Proper Reboot and Reboot to CWM Recovery on the power menu (Thanks to untermensch for the excellent quide)
    • Hacked Sprint Hotspot (Tortel1210)
    • 1% battery (Icons by Mendozinas)
    • 3G/1x icon fix (SenseiSimple)
    • CRT Off
    • CRT On (Thanks to Whitehawkx for the guide)
    • No battery popup
    • Screen stays off when unplugged
    • Volume rocker mod (sound on to vibrate to silent) (mkasick)
    • Silent Camera (SenseiSimple)
    • Scrollable Status Toggles - with 4G Button (lidroid, SensieSimple, 4G button mod, other fixes mods by me)

Howto and Review videos (thanks to qbking77!)

Downloads:
    Full Version: CleanGB 1.0.3 (140MB) (MD5: D35C3C99363782F40906DFF0CFE60CB1)
    ROM Manager Web Connect Link: CleanGB 1.0.3
    Kernel: CleanGB Kernel / 2011-12-13 / capacitive button fix (source) (Note: This is the kernel in CleanGB 1.0.3)
    Kernel (no root): CleanGB Kernel / without root (source) (Note: This is the kernel from CleanGB 1.0 modified to remove root access at bootup - see the FAQ item on why this exists)

Boot into CWM and flash. Info on CWM

Optional Mods:
    No SMS/MMS messages in call logs (LogsProvider fix)
    TouchWiz30 Launcher
    Touchwiz Widgets (only usefull if you use the TouchWiz Launcher
    Epic Live Wallpapers

If you like my ROM, buy me a beer!
    Screenshots

Screenshots

shot_000018.png
    shot_000019.png

shot_000029.png

shot_000020.png
    shot_000021.png

shot_000022.png
    FAQ

FAQ:

Q: What's with the 'no root' kernel?
    A: There are certain programs that will refuse the work if you have root access. The 'no root' kernel will strip root access at bootup and allow programs which refuse to run on rooted devices to run. To re-obtain root acess all you have to do is flash the regular CleanGB kernel in the first post.

Q: Where is the bootanimation.zip and how can I change the boot animation?
    A: The stock boot animation is actually contained in the framework-res.apk file. If you want to use a custom boot animation, all you have to do is place your bootanimation.zip in the /system/media directory and it will play instead of the stock one.

Q: What about [insert feature here]?
    A: See the todo list below

Todo/Coming Soon:

Change Log:

CleanGB 1.0.3

• Power menu mod enhancement: Reboot dialog and progress now show "Reboot", "Your phone will reboot", "Rebooting...", instead of "Power Off", "Your phone will shut down.", "Shutting down..."
    • Fix for power menu bug (see this)
    • Fixed init.d script support, which was broken (and no one ever noticed!)

CleanGB 1.0

• Scrollable Status bar toggles with 4G button

Build 18

• Removed broken talkback app from system

Build 17

• Improved kernel with stability fixes
    • Updated stock apps
      • Books
      • Gmail
      • Maps
      • Talkback
      • Market
      • Sprint Voice Mail
      • Youtube
    • Silent Camera
    • CRT On
    • Removed left over CIQ lib

Build 16

• ClockworkMod 5.x /ROM Manager Support

Build 15

• Changed theme to account for apps that put black text in dropdown menu items
    • Put back "MyFiles" app as multiple sprint apps rely on it
    • Restored ClockPackage that links to MyFiles

Build 14

• New Kernel - change to how ext4 partitions are mounted; will give you ext4 users those uber fast quadrant scores (that mean nothing).
    • Clock app was hard coded to use the "MyFiles" app (which is not in this ROM) to chose alarm tones. Hacked app to remove that feature.
    • Zipaligned apk files (yes, I forgot to do it) :eek:

Build 13

• Added Kernel that supports overclocking to 1.4Ghz and voltage changes (source is in first post)
    • Removed useless buddiesnow package
    • Fixed voicemail notifications (black text on black background)
    • Added ext4 version

Build 12

• Added 3g/1x icon fix (Screw you Sprint!)
    • Added all-black wallpaper to launcher's wallpaper picker to match default all black wallpaper
    • Added /system/etc/init.d directory for init.d script support

Build 0-11
    • I don't remember :D

New release...

CleanGB 1.0

• Scrollable Status bar toggles with 4G button (EXCLUSIVE) :D
    Hey, I'm at 99 thanks....someone push me to 100!

:p