[ROM][EOL][CARBON][KK 4.4.4] CarbonROM (MT4GS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
It really seems like CM's support for KitKat is wrapping up.

July's security patches are a month behind now. I will keep watch, but with Nougat on the way, support for KitKat is going to be very few and far between (much like CM 10.1's treatment this time last year - only being revived to deal with Stagefright issues) and I don't imagine my updates will last beyond this year.

It's been a good run, I will do what I can (if those changes get merged I will include them in a new build), but there is no point to continue building something when the build environment itself has not changed.

EDIT: A day later, I got my wish. July and August security patches are merged now and new builds (one for inclusion of each month) done. :)

FINAL EDIT: According to this commit, it's all over. CM11 is (really) no longer supported, and weekly builds have stopped. I found out through their IRC. Since there will be no Android Security Bulletins brought in (which have become increasingly difficult), this is where this project ends as well.

Downloads will remain on AFH, and my GitHub will stay where it is, but I may clean up some of the older downloads in the coming months (only showcase the ones for this year).

I have thoroughly enjoyed having this as my first build device.

All that is left now is to close the thread. Take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: demkantor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hLe Storm ROM 4.4.4

Looks like I graduated from ArchiKitchen, now compiling from source and I may be on to something here. But first...

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and
     * YOU acknowledge you are doing so at your own risk.
     */

Now that that's out of the way, hLe Storm (pronounced "hailstorm") 4.4.4 is a build of CarbonROM, using the kernel from @Emmanuel U (among advice), and device identity and other projects from Team KitKatDS. As CarbonROM is EOL (end-of-life) as of April 5th (or earlier), some commits have been taken/"cherry picked" from CyanogenMod 11 source.

SCREENSHOTS:
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

WHAT WORKS:
    • Powers on
    • Phone calls
    • SMS and (after using the busybox trick) MMS
    • Mobile Data (HSPA detected with my carrier)
    • Wifi
    • Google Play
    • GPS, based on GPS Status & Toolbox
    • Camera via UCam app, also now stock and Google Camera
    • Torch
    • Needs further testing

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:
    • Camcorder in stock app records nothing
    • Probably the same for any replacement Camcorder app (encountered this problem earlier this month)
    • No detail in the Google Search bar with the default launcher (search and voice search still work, just need to tap blindly)
    • You tell me...

TODO:
    • Continue to extensively test current functionality.
    • Suggestions?

DOWNLOAD:

GAPPS:

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Download ROM above, and your favourite GApps package
    • Save/push files to your External SD card (preferably in the root folder where you can find it later)
    • Reboot into recovery ("adb reboot recovery")
    • Nandroid/Back up device (optional)
    • Wipe cache and data/factory reset
    • Install ROM and GApps
    • Wipe Dalvik cache
    • Reboot
    • Enjoy!

CREDITS:
    • Emmanuel U for the Ion Kernel and other repo fun
    • Team KitKatDS for the Device Tree and Vendor Info plus other goodies
    • TeamSXL
    • TeamHydra
    • SilverL
    • TBalden
    • thewisenerd
    • streambinder
    • galaxyfreak
    • CyanogenMod
    • CarbonDev

Did I miss anything? I appreciate the feedback, and any thanks as well!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][EOL][CARBON][KK 4.4.4] CarbonROM (MT4GS), ROM for the T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide

Contributors
    joel.maxuel
    Source Code: https://github.com/carbon-mt4gs

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2015-12-13

Created 2015-05-27
    Last Updated 2016-08-28
    Update later today...

As many may know, Kitkat is end-of-life, or near EOL, depending on the ROM you use. For CarbonROM, it have been EOL for several months now (when the commits stopped occurring), but for CyanogenMod, they are still maintaining critical patches all the way down to CM10.1 (which will probably cease soon).

Because of Stagefright issues, I wanted to re-do CM10.1 at the very least. But I was plagued with build errors. I got a build, but the robbing and stealing I did in the build phase made sure it didn't boot. So it seems CM10.1 is un-buildable at this point.

I then turned to CarbonROM. Because Carbon is close to that of CM in the code, I was able to cherry-pick any new android_frameworks_av commits (where the stagefright problem(s) are found), and get a successful build.

I am pleased to say, unlike out-of-the-box (EOL) CarbonROM 4.4.4, this build is not vulnerable - at least until the next round comes out...D'Oh!

I will be uploading the build tonight. Uploaded - see 1st post. :D
    you might need some legacy build parameters for htc camera callbackd, and maybe some patch in the camera header hw part so that the proprietary camera module could fit with the os. I think Emmanuel's repos will contain what you may need.
    you might need some legacy build parameters for htc camera callbackd, and maybe some patch in the camera header hw part so that the proprietary camera module could fit with the os. I think Emmanuel's repos will contain what you may need.

Have merged KitKatDS/android_frameworks_av with CarbonDev/android_frameworks_av into my github, hopefully that will work. I figured out the missing parameter, and see in CameraParameters.cpp that it's just a dummy function. But it turns out I needed more than just the function and the call to it. Luckily I could do an automatic merge (because I am not up for the manual way - yet).

Going to be a few more hours compiling before I can figure out if that worked (my poor dual-core PC is working hard ;)).

Eventually I want to get the CarbonDev commits into android_frameworks_native, but that will be a manual process (3 files to edit by hand) when I looked at the compare.

EDIT: Finished earlier than I thought. And a healthy camera init:

Code:
    I/CameraService(  169): CameraService started (pid=169)
    I/CameraService(  169): Loaded "MSM8660 Camera Wrapper" camera module
    D/libEGL  (  252): loaded /system/lib/egl/libEGL_adreno200.so
    D/libEGL  (  252): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so
    D/libEGL  (  252): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno200.so
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): <qeglDrvAPI_eglInitialize:269>: EGL 1.4 QUALCOMM build: AU_LINUX_ANDROID_JB_VANILLA.04.02.02.60.051_msm8960_JB_VANILLA_CL2997615_release_AU (CL2997615)
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): Build Date: 04/11/13 Thu
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): Local Branch: 
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): Remote Branch: quic/mako_jb_mr1
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): Local Patches: NONE
    I/Adreno200-EGL(  252): Reconstruct Branch: AU_LINUX_ANDROID_JB_VANILLA.04.02.02.60.051 +  NOTHING
    E/cutils-trace(  252): Error opening trace file: No such file or directory (2)
    D/QualcommCameraHardwareZSL(  169): int android::HAL_getNumberOfCameras(),return how many camera 2

Torch now works as well, but when I open the stock Camera app (which is now there), I get "Unfortunately, Camera has stopped." Strangely, works fine in UCam. IP Webcam works as well, but I tried a few camcorder apps out there and neither worked.

CLEANUP of old thoughts:

Bootup Logcat
    Camera Logcat
    Camera Kmsg

Camera Logcat is probably the most interesting here now:

Code:
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454): FATAL EXCEPTION: Camera Handler Thread
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454): Process: com.android.camera2, PID: 2454
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454): java.lang.RuntimeException: setParameters failed
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at android.hardware.Camera.native_setParameters(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at android.hardware.Camera.setParameters(Camera.java:1696)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at com.android.camera.AndroidCameraManagerImpl$CameraHandler.handleMessage(AndroidCameraManagerImpl.java:298)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2454):        at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)
    W/ActivityManager(  481):   Force finishing activity com.android.camera2/com.android.camera.CameraLauncher

Not sure what to try here except use the android_frameworks_av off KitKatDS, not CarbonDev's (that had the KitKatDS commits applied to it). I will work on that...compiling has started.

UPDATE: Still broken, logcat is showing the same error. Tried other cameras on this build (Google Camera), and close to the same result.

Camera logcat (Stock, Google ... *:E)

MORE: Realized an important flag was being set twice in the BoardConfigCommon.mk:
    Code:
    # Camera
    BOARD_USES_QCOM_LEGACY_CAM_PARAMS := true
    COMMON_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -DICS_CAMERA_BLOB -DNO_UPDATE_PREVIEW -DQCOM_BSP_CAMERA_ABI_HACK -DQCOM_LEGACY_CAM_PARAMS
    BOARD_HAVE_HTC_FFC := true
    TARGET_DISABLE_ARM_PIE := true
    BOARD_NEEDS_MEMORYHEAPPMEM := true
    USE_DEVICE_SPECIFIC_CAMERA := true
    BOARD_USES_PMEM_CAMERA := true

I thought maybe LEGACY_CAM_PARAMS were cancelling each other out. Recompiled (without -DQCOM_LEGACY_CAM_PARAMS), No dice.

Latest Camera Logcat. Fatal exception at line 696.

Tried some commits against frameworks/native, still no go:

Code:
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725): FATAL EXCEPTION: Camera Handler Thread
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725): Process: com.android.camera2, PID: 2725
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725): java.lang.RuntimeException: setParameters failed
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at android.hardware.Camera.native_setParameters(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at android.hardware.Camera.setParameters(Camera.java:1696)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at com.android.camera.AndroidCameraManagerImpl$CameraHandler.handleMessage(AndroidCameraManagerImpl.java:298)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2725):        at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)

I forgot which camera I used for the logcat on my thread post, but if it was the Carbon one, here is what is at line 298 of src/com/android/camera/AndroidCameraManagerImpl.java:

Code:
                        case SET_FACE_DETECTION_LISTENER:
                            setFaceDetectionListener((FaceDetectionListener) msg.obj);
                            return;

So this may be the key. I tried a commit last night, but it didn;t do anything, trying a change to the Gallery2 app that disables the Face Detection on both cameras. We shall see how that goes...

So the latest change involving turning down face detection didn't work. Still getting the same error. A user on StackOverflow pointed out that what I was featuring from the logcat was secondary to the actual problem. That this is a more complete picture:

Code:
    E/QualcommCameraHardwareZSL(  170): Invalid focus mode value: continuous-picture
    E/QualcommCameraHardwareZSL(  170): virtual android::status_t android::QualcommCameraHardware::setParameters(const android::CameraParameters&): 6487, rc = -22
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): FATAL EXCEPTION: Camera Handler Thread
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): Process: com.android.camera2, PID: 2700
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): java.lang.RuntimeException: setParameters failed
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at android.hardware.Camera.native_setParameters(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at android.hardware.Camera.setParameters(Camera.java:1696)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at com.android.camera.AndroidCameraManagerImpl$CameraHandler.handleMessage(AndroidCameraManagerImpl.java:298)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 2700): 	at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:61)

So it was a parameters problem after all! I looked up continuous-picture in (my copy and KitKatDS's) frameworks_av and it is listed, and not hidden behind any #ifdef's. So it should pick up. I just don't know how to tackle this one at this point (if I ever had a clue).

Any further suggestions @Emmanuel U, @thewisenerd, @streambinder, @galaxyfreak, @tbalden? Thanks for all the help so far.
    It really seems like CM's support for KitKat is wrapping up.

July's security patches are a month behind now. I will keep watch, but with Nougat on the way, support for KitKat is going to be very few and far between (much like CM 10.1's treatment this time last year - only being revived to deal with Stagefright issues) and I don't imagine my updates will last beyond this year.

It's been a good run, I will do what I can (if those changes get merged I will include them in a new build), but there is no point to continue building something when the build environment itself has not changed.

EDIT: A day later, I got my wish. July and August security patches are merged now and new builds (one for inclusion of each month) done. :)

FINAL EDIT: According to this commit, it's all over. CM11 is (really) no longer supported, and weekly builds have stopped. I found out through their IRC. Since there will be no Android Security Bulletins brought in (which have become increasingly difficult), this is where this project ends as well.

Downloads will remain on AFH, and my GitHub will stay where it is, but I may clean up some of the older downloads in the coming months (only showcase the ones for this year).

I have thoroughly enjoyed having this as my first build device.

All that is left now is to close the thread. Take care.