• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[ROM] [Experimental] Stock Pie (F800L30e) for H990DS

Search This thread

Marshmallowm7

Mar 12, 2016
Trying with H990SS. I will update this post.

With H990SS kernel, it gave me kernel panic. I tried with Gamma Kernel, it booted very well bu on setup screen it says "Settings keep stopping." and cant setup.
I had the exact same experience but on H990DS. I tried first on the 10f firmware I had downgraded to to root using dirty santa. I also tried using the 20a firmware that comes with the H990DS flashable from dudeawesome. Kernel panic while not flashing any kernel, and while using mk2000 version 1.3 and 2.2 and the PHXCLANG2-rebuild. I'm a noob so I just experimented with all this before going back to lineage. Could those that have gotten it to boot please help me out? : )

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
Here follows my assessment of the modem situation.

I have been looking at the modem and the no.1 problem is Qualcomm's TrustZone (TZ) system to prevent tampering with it for security reason. Signed images and all that.

The implications of this is that there is no point to be looking at other modems like the G6 modem to port it because you still can never get around TZ anyway. It is easy to identify the signed part of the modem files inside the modem image and even copy over the signature from the Oreo modem but even doing that the TZ system is too sophisticated to fall for it. This secure system probably wasn't implemented in earlier LG modems like the G3 which was successfully modified in the past.

I think that is the only big problem. In other words if the TZ system didn't exist the modem would work without any further modification except for what I have done with the stock Pie rom itself. From what I read there is no way to disable TZ or get around it.. Also I don't think it is yet possible to modify the telephony framework (for porting oreo rom) because there is currently no way to decompile it fully. I'm referring to the fact that although earlier versions of .vdex files can be reverse engineered the version of .vdex on our V20 is of the newer variety and as yet there is no tool available to decompile it. The last vdexExtractor tool version is from 2018.

So, I think the only way to get a pie v20 working outside of Korea with your carrier bands working is only ever going to be possible with an original F800/L/K/S motherboard. I think this is possible because I think that the system that sets the bands for Korean carries is actually in the Pie Rom configuration files itself, not even in the telephony framework. I think this because I modified the PiE rom and got LTE active on my device for CALLS ONLY which wasn't possible in fully stock form. I was using a spare sim for this experiment and I even got a text message warning me I had used up data and had only a little left after testing only phone calls. Also there is configuration code for US carries both in the telephony framework AND in the F800 Pie modem! Which is all good.

I am in no way certain about any of the above but I'm prepared now to buy a F800 mobo to test my theory. It will take a month or more to arrive so that's it for now. I think it's worth the gamble on my part because from what I can judge the PIE system is actually better than Oreo in terms of performance and who doesn't want an android upgrade anyway :)

Please feel free to contradict any of the above. I would love if I was wrong about some things :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Feldmarschall Edgar

lybxlpsv

Oct 9, 2013
Here follows my assessment of the modem situation.

I have been looking at the modem and the no.1 problem is Qualcomm's TrustZone (TZ) system to prevent tampering with it for security reason. Signed images and all that.

F800 modem do "runs" on H990DS, however the SRAM mismatches then modem exits out.
Modifying modem firmware doesn't cause anything bad, as long as MDT file has the same checksum.
The main issue is that H990 modem doesn't like the radio ril on stock pie, probably runs undefined commands then modem hangs.
If you are interested, we have deodexed pie rom ready to be worked. contact us on https://t.me/lgv20pie

Reactions: ezzony

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
F800 modem do "runs" on H990DS, however the SRAM mismatches then modem exits out.
Modifying modem firmware doesn't cause anything bad, as long as MDT file has the same checksum.
The main issue is that H990 modem doesn't like the radio ril on stock pie, probably runs undefined commands then modem hangs.
If you are interested, we have deodexed pie rom ready to be worked. contact us on https://t.me/lgv20pie

Yes, the new commands related to 5G etc, are the one obvious problem. I recall seeing code that makes the modem reset after an 'undefined command'; in the radio logs or somewhere in telephony that forces the reset.

One idea I had was was just to empty the methods that call these newer modem commands (so they do noting after being called) and see how you'd get on with that, bit of a hack, but I don't know how to repackage the telephony-common jar with it's associated .odex and vdex files back properly as this is where my knowledge is a still a bit lacking.

Incidentally I tried using SuperR kitchen to deodex the rom but it doesn't do it properly. All it did was delete all the vdex files prefixed with 'boot-' in the framework folder and deleted all the arm/arm64 folders, which obviously isn't right because the remaining jar files remained the same size as they were originally. So, how did you deodex the rom properly?

ngominhnguyen

Apr 15, 2014
Report on Kernel Crashes

Hi, lybxlpsv,
H990N here. Tried upgrading from H990DS20a to this Experimental Pie. First attempt, I had a Crashed Kernel screen advising me to connect USB for QPST dump screen. Magisk 2.04 was flashed on top H990DS_v2.0-BETA#-v20b. Another attempt without Magisk on top of H990DS_v2.0-BETA#-v20b after flashing stock pie boot.img, that resulted in the same Crashed Kernel screen. While I was sorting out how to use QPST 2.7.496 to dump screen, my H990N had made a number of attempts to boot into Android System. And each auto-reboots resulted in the same Crashed Kernel screen. And, thanks for your earlier advice, all I had to do, was just wipe the Pie system, and restore the Oreo Boot & System from TWRP backup prior to these attempts. ;)
Same H990N here, i tried H990DS and SS with no luck. Gamma kernel can be boot but Setup stopping, don't know if there is any way to pass it. Do you have any luck to get it work?

TheRoyalDuke

Oct 21, 2020
I dont know about h990 but i flashed stock pie kdz using the patched lgup on my spare h910 and it absolutely works. Only my sim card is not recognized. To get back to oreo or nougat you can use the dev patched lgup from the v30 thread.

Reactions: ngominhnguyen

ngominhnguyen

Apr 15, 2014
The kernel for this method seam not work, when i flash Gamma Kernel 3.0 it can boot but Settings keeps stopping... Maybe another kernel will work. Can you tell me how to build kernel for H990?

ngominhnguyen

Apr 15, 2014
I dont know about h990 but i flashed stock pie kdz using the patched lgup on my spare h910 and it absolutely works. Only my sim card is not recognized. To get back to oreo or nougat you can use the dev patched lgup from the v30 thread.
I used your method on H990N and it actually works. Everything is smooth except sim card and wifi. Maybe they will work if we find a way to flash the kdz without touching the modem and wifi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer
    Your warranty is now void.
    I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

What is this?
    This is a very early test PIE rom based from F800L in hoping that someone can fix RIL.
    or maybe for someone that just want to use Pie and doesn't care about mobile data or something.

Installation for Nougat/Oreo GPT
    BACKUP YOUR FIRMWARE, EFS AND INTERNAL STORAGE IN CASE OF THINGS GOING WRONG!
    Install Oreo V20A or V20B firmware (may work with other firmware idk)
    Restore Pie System TWRP Backup
    Install F800L Stock Pie Boot Image (pie_boot.img)
    Install H990DS/SS Stock Pie Kernel (H990DS_v2.0-BETA#-v20bcustom.zip)

If you already have V20A/V20B Stock Oreo, you can upgrade without wiping data.

Known Major Issues
    Modem reset every few minutes.
    No Mobile Data.

What has been tested and works ON MY PHONE
    Call, SMS, USSD, Wifi, Camera, Bluetooth, fingerprint, data upgrade from Oreo.
    v415 adreno drivers, thermal mod flashable zip, magisk 20.3.

Download
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=307527

Special Thanks
    reza_xdv, dvdarg (fstab), mk2000

Screenshots
    https://i.imgur.com/wnEg0ou.png
    https://i.imgur.com/nVsD5LJ.png
    https://i.imgur.com/ywT2tVp.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/9HJm1VL.png
    Does the HD Recorder works? This looks very interesting for people who don't want to lose multiple stock apps going to Lineage, thanks for your hard work!

Yes, all the stock apps work as it's a stock rom

For whoever wants to give us a hand with porting you can come here:

https://t.me/lgv20pie
    @lybxlpsv.. good job bro.. maybe i can help with the ril... i just haven't had time.. but now i do..ddid you mod the kernel to work or merge the two kernels.
    Eventhough I don't have V20 anymore, I'd still love to see the future of this project. Good Luck
    Great job! Will test your kernel on pure F800L stock pie to get root.
    Another question. Can you also compile same kernel but with F800L config? Cause we still have no root on stock pie rom.

here is one built for f800l with eng aboot, untested/at your own risk since I only have h990ds.
    and please let me know the safe partitions to flash on pie for eng aboot.