[ROM][EXY][8.0] WETA 11.1 [RGA-Aug][9th.Aug]

Search This thread

Timtown

Feb 27, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Really? So far I'm seeing less battery performance & SOT on Oreo than my Nougat setup.

I'm not a benchmark freak but I do test when trying different kernels. Benchmark results are about the same though when using Xceed kernel on both O & N.
As I said, it's still early. Today is the first day I didn't need to perform any reboots, etc.

I'll freely admit that my "evidence" is more anecdotal, and I'm not the most demanding when it comes to SOT.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Loved your rom on the v20 and i love it on the note 8. Dolby atmos,dolby and viper plus the headphone sound boost are amazing. Im still running nougat though I havent upgraded yet.

If you are into Atmos, then I'd stay where you are in nougat for now. I haven't been able to get it to work, neither Dolby digital plus. Good to see a V20 user in here!

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
SUPERB! This ROM is coming together swiftly and very progressively.

@Mentalmuso, I was going to ask your thoughts about Audio Mods. I was considering DL either A.R.I.S.E. or DivineBeats to use on top of WETA ROM. I know your very keen on the audio aspect of this ROM so just wanted your take before I did so. I know your still working on the Dolby+ audio fix so just wanted to ask your thoughts.

I've always been a supporter of arise, though I haven't used it myself in ages, it does have a weird convoluted way to set up, but it is a very "tested" mod. It just started getting too "gravelly" for me on Samsung. Sorry but that's the best way I can describe it. I haven't tried Divine beats since I had the oneplus one, about 7 devices ago. so I've just been using my weta audio mod, but I still want to tweak that, as I feel it's a little too bass driven for my car audio.

If you do flash either of those, it obviously goes without saying, make sure you don't flash over the top of weta audio mod, just in case.

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
SoCal
As I said, it's still early. Today is the first day I didn't need to perform any reboots, etc.

I'll freely admit that my "evidence" is more anecdotal, and I'm not the most demanding when it comes to SOT.

Yeah, like I mentioned in my last post, max SOT is not a major concern for me like other people but it does give me an idea on how much battery performance I'm getting. And same here, today is the first day I've tested Oreo on my normal daily routine. But it's enough (as well as other things) to tell me that I'm jumping off the O train again for now. :)

But looks like there are mixed results on Oreo that I have seen for battery performance so anything goes. Battery stats not really necessary, my weekday usage is pretty typical so I could tell the difference without them.

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Really? So far I'm seeing less battery performance & SOT on Oreo than my Nougat setup.

I'm not a benchmark freak but I do test when trying different kernels. Benchmark results are about the same though when using Xceed kernel on both O & N.

If the battery experience is varied between users, we may be just seeing apps that aren't optimized for Oreo or something. I dunno, I'm not one to watch my battery all day, but I suppose I have felt I've been plugging in a lot lately. My best suggestion is to go get the new xceed kernel. The things going on in that kernel are something special. No tweaking needed.

Reactions: shouren04

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Well I don't care for the battery really I never had battery problem using Dolby I don't care hopefully they fix it on Oreo very soon

The Dolby issue is purely a Samsung problem, there is d Dolby Atmos for Oreo., I haven't looked into it enough but that is what I'm going to focus on as I like having it there even if I don't use it much. But there has to be a little patience as things slowly get worked out. It's a major firmware jump after all. And there certainly is nothing wrong with staying in nougat. I always contemplate going back, but i need to keep Oreo for testing.

Reactions: miguelr4720

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
SoCal
If the battery experience is varied between users, we may be just seeing apps that aren't optimized for Oreo or something. I dunno, I'm not one to watch my battery all day, but I suppose I have felt I've been plugging in a lot lately. My best suggestion is to go get the new xceed kernel. The things going on in that kernel are something special. No tweaking needed.

Yep, I'm on the new Xceed kernel. I'm not sure what the differences are if any but I benchmarked both the new & the one in 6.3.3 & results were pretty much the same. But that's just a benchmark.

I agree, apps could run totally different on Oreo and I noticed there are more services running in Oreo. The hit in battery performance in my case I could live with and I could probably tweaknit if I really wantes too but I'm just too used to all the things I use that worked in Nougat that don't Oreo. The few cool features in Oreo is not enough to win me over just yet, waiting for everything to get worked out. :)

miguelr4720

May 24, 2015
New York
Yeah true same here but the Oreo Update still needs a lot of fix in the order for my V4A Dolby could work :) correctly like it does with nougat

Mentalmuso

Recognized Developer
Mar 20, 2012
Austin
Sony Xperia 1 V
Yep, I'm on the new Xceed kernel. I'm not sure what the differences are if any but I benchmarked both the new & the one in 6.3.3 & results were pretty much the same. But that's just a benchmark.

I agree, apps could run totally different on Oreo and I noticed there are more services running in Oreo. The hit in battery performance in my case I could live with and I could probably tweaknit if I really wantes too but I'm just too used to all the things I use that worked in Nougat that don't Oreo. The few cool features in Oreo is not enough to win me over just yet, waiting for everything to get worked out. ;)

The kernel in the rom is simply stock built from source by kairi_zeroblade for me to include in rom. Only to disable security, encryption nd have switchable selinux. Its not really xceed kernel but the label in software info is a little confusing.

The xceed kernel in the devs thread is way more complex and will learn and adjust to behaviours. It has huge potential. With people on the oneplus 5t getting double digit sot.. different device bla bla but it's impressive. And not totally geared for performance but more for balance.

shouren04

Feb 17, 2013
SoCal
The kernel in the rom is simply stock built from source by kairi_zeroblade for me to include in rom. Only to disable security, encryption nd have switchable selinux. Its not really xceed kernel but the label in software info is a little confusing.

The xceed kernel in the devs thread is way more complex and will learn and adjust to behaviours. It has huge potential. With people on the oneplus 5t getting double digit sot.. different device bla bla but it's impressive. And not totally geared for performance but more for balance.

Ah I see, yeah when I saw the info label I thought the one included with your rom was a Xceed kernel also, version number is the same, only the build date is different. But I flashed the new Xceed kernel yesterday anyway.

Wow that is impressive! I've always liked Xceed since I've used it. I admit I've used Smuf kernel sometimes too but those 2 are the only ones I use. I don't even bother testing the others anymore, nothing against them, just my preference. ;)

gretschpr

Apr 1, 2008
San Juan
Flashed latest version and gave me errors on TWRP and bootloops...re-downloading now to try again, I'm using latest recovery from zeroblade too...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    url]

You flash this rom at your own risk,
    i take no responsibility for any mishaps.​

Subscribe to update notifications and general chat by clicking the button below. If you have a request, do it there with the tag #wetarequest.
    WETA NOTE8 TELEGRAM CHANNEL

WETA Update notification only channel - Update notifications

This here is my personal setup and thought i'd share. Usually i test extensively before releasing to public, but if you do find something detrimental to the usage of your device that is either Force Closing or simply not working, let me know and i will in turn inform whether that is something i will tend to.

WETA is made for Music geeks like me, its main focus is stability and Audio. It is Based off latest firmware currently, and will always be using the most up to date firmware base.

This ROM is built from stock system images, decompiled and modded by me.

Audio mods...

ViPER4Android 2.3.4.0 with Super quality audio driver or the new 2.5.0.5 with driver pre-installed (credit to @viper520 + @zhuhang)
    - for more info on V4A, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    ViPER4Android 2.6.* , and updated V4A interface that can run on any V4A driver. Thanks goes out to - @Team_DeWitt - XDA Labs Link
    V4A Convolvers and Profiles
    Sony Xperia Z5 Premium audio system
    Beats libraries and effects
    Dolby Atmos (coming)
    Dolby Digital plus (coming)

Rom also includes...

Custom WETA Kernel
    Rooted, Busybox
    Hybrid Deodexed rom (only deodexed where needed for stability and smoothness
    3Minit Battery Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Battery, visit the WEBSITE or XDA thread
    3Minit Clock Mod Option (status bar and Home button) - (credit to @gharrington)
    - for more info on 3Minit Clock, visit the XDA thread
    All display rotations
    Navbar size options
    Headphone volume warning disabled
    Wake on unplug disabled
    Analog Clock as Home Button

Changelog...

Pre V9.0 Changelog - Go here

OREO V9.0
    Updated Base to RF1 (June sec patch)
    Added GoodLock 2018

OREO V9.1
    *** WIPE WIPE WIPE, Dolby won't work and may even crash if you don't wipe data for this update.
    Added Dolby from S9+ firmware
    - Dolby works with all audio mods, including V4a, Dual Speaker, WETA audio, ARISE etc..
    Added Disable Goodlock to debloat section
    Added Soundalive/Dolby disable and launch to WETAmod

OREO V9.2
    Another rebase, this time to RF4, this is still June sec patch, though has a higher changelist number than the last 2 previous base updates.
    Reverted Magisk to a more stable 16.0

OREO V9.2.1
    Added Recovery option to stock reboot menu
    Fixed hiding of home button when using mods

OREO V9.2.2
    Fixed Samsung setup on clean install

OREO V9.2.3
    Fixed SamsungExperience again...
    - camera fix
    Fixed Services.jar
    - Launcher click and drag issue
    Added stock kernel option

OREO V9.3
    Re added disabled volume warning
    Re added disabled brightness warning
    Added Battery Bar on NavBar
    Fixed Nearby Services crash
    Fixed stock kernel camera

OREO V9.4
    WETAmod now has busybox built in
    Started from scratch on services.jar mods
    – Camera fixes
    – iris fixes
    – torch fixes

OREO V9.4.1
    Fixed Camera zoom 2x bug
    Removed Xceed kernel option
    Goodlock disabled by default
    - Enable in "other" section

OREO V9.4.2
    Added Multiuser support
    GMS Core powersaving edits
    Updated AppLock apk
    - AppLock may or may not work on a full wipe
    SysScope = Official
    Better fonts
    Rom now wipes caches by default

OREO V9.5
    Added New WETA Kernel
    - Built from Samsung source
    - blu-active gov by default
    - deadline io sched by default
    - selinux switchable
    - tripndroid and zen io sched available
    - Knox disabled

OREO V10.0
    New RG1 base, (july sec patches)
    WETA Kernel v1.3
    - more knox disabling
    Magisk 16.6

OREO V10.1
    Fixed device being labeled as an s9
    Reverted Magisk to 16.0.. forever

OREO V10.2
    Updated Kernel to RG1 Source
    – Added Wireguard support
    Removed GoodLock (install yourself via Galaxy Apps)
    Added unlock with fingerprint after reboot
    Added Left signal cluster option

OREO V11.0
    Updated to RGA base, (August Security Patches)

OREO V11.1
    Fixed services.jar
    - Touchwiz Launcher crash
    - Accessibility crash
    Fixed GMS Doze Setting

Do not flash Gapps with this ROM!
    Because this is based off of stock Samsung, gapps are included.

Installation, Please read very carefully. This rom is for Exynos devices only. Though I have made a separate app to apply mods for Snapdragon devices using SAMfail.

- Exynos devices -

BACKUP EFS!!! this rom will not do this for you. I myself have bricked an s8+ that didn't have a backup...
    Backup DATA!!! just in case.

Wipe Data if you are coming from another rom or version base if you have crashes or other issues before reporting.
    Format SDCard if coming from stock encrypted

- Snapdragon devices -

Don't flash this...

ROM Download Page

WETA Rom Exynos website link - DOWNLOAD PAGE

Kernel

WETA Kernel
    Built from Samsung Original source code
    WETA Kernel Source Code - https://gitlab.com/mentalmuso/WETA_greatlte_kernel

WETAmod (rom-control)
    WETAmod APK Source Code (request access) - https://gitlab.com/mentalmuso/WETAmod_greatlte

Xceed Kernel by @kairi_zeroblade
    I recommend this kernel if you would like a tuned kernel.
    Go here - Xceed XDA Thread - for more info on this fantastic kernel.

Extra thanks goes to... @stangdriver44 , @Repulsa , @ambasadii , @Zacharee1

XDA:DevDB Information
    WETA, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017 Phone)

Contributors
    Mentalmuso
    Source Code:
    https://gitlab.com/mentalmuso

ROM OS Version: 8.0 Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x

Version Information

Created 2017-11-01
    OEM Jail, The dreaded 7 day oem lockout

With the discovery of rlc and the disabling off rmm lock. There have been far fewer instances of folks being thrown in oem jail. But still some are. Below is a method that may get you out of 7 day jail instantly. This hasn't been tested by me, as I've never had it happen to me.. but give it a try

1. Enter settings, turn off auto detect time
    2. Change time to over 7 days ago. It seems like good practice to change it to a month earlier, to be sure.
    3. Enter firmware update and turn off auto updates then manually check for update.
    4. Reboot, and the OEM switch should be present.

--->
    End of the road

I've been dabbling in other device relationships in the past month, and I'm sorry to say this is the end of this rather "long" relationship with the note 8 for me. (Long for this guy anyway).

11.1 is the final installment. I wish you all well and may see you in the note 9 forums some day.

Boomshanka.

--->
    WETA 6.5

Now fully odexed except SystemUI.apk
    Now modifying stock encrypted cscfeatures.xml
    Disabled high volume warning
    Disabled High brightness warning
    Status official SysScope - thanks @kairi_zeroblade

Download Page

--->
    WETA 9.4 + WETA Kernel RE5 #12

*** I've never considered myself a "kernel dev" so be nice. The whole point of my rom from the begining of time, was to simply share what i build for myself. I prefer to use things i make and fix myself in all forms of life. My phone is no different.

*** There is a standalone kernel zip on the download page.

Added New WETA Kernel
    - Built from Samsung source
    - blu-active gov by default
    - deadline io sched by default
    - selinux switchable
    - tripndroid and zen io sched available
    - Knox disabled

Download Page

--->