• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][F5121][WIP] Ubuntu Touch for Sony Xperia X

Search This thread

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.

Known issues:
  • Recording video doesn't work
  • Changing volume in-call doesn't work

Contribute:
As not everything is working fully yet helping hands are welcome!
Follow the project management issue over at the Halium GitHub page:
https://github.com/Halium/projectmanagement/issues/98

Instructions (tested on Ubuntu 18.04):

First make sure to wipe /system & /data from within TWRP. The partitions must be ext4.

Last edited:

Samver

Jul 2, 2009
Ready for tests! Just need to install Ubuntu with current manual :)
Have I need to flash stock rom with android 7 or just flash binaries on stock android 8?

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
New tests to be done, we've recently gotten video decoding to work and I enabled basic camera support.
OP has been updated with the link to the newest images.
Feel free to post issues here if you are not feeling well with GitHub.

Regarding stock ROM or not:
Any system image should work, you can even wipe system as it's not used.
As long as the ODM partition is flashed everything should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: hhjadeja007

samijam

Jul 3, 2012
Marion, IL
I'm trying this for the 2nd time and both times I can't get any audio in calls. I ran the commands in the first post. Any tips on what else to try? I'd really like to try this, test some more and help out, but it's the only phone I've got right now.

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
I'm trying this for the 2nd time and both times I can't get any audio in calls. I ran the commands in the first post. Any tips on what else to try? I'd really like to try this, test some more and help out, but it's the only phone I've got right now.

Did you run the commands through ssh or via the Terminal app? Mind doing a "select all" and copy-paste the output to some paste service?
EDIT: Also, did you reboot after issuing the commands?

Last edited:

matiz098

Sep 24, 2019
Thanks for the work on this.
I need a little bit more explanation on how to install this. I gave it a try, but I end up in getting a white boot screen with the sony logo. Installing SailfishOS with the flash.sh script works perfectly.

Questions:
- When do you need to use twrp? When running adb?
- Running the halium install script only works when booted into twrp. Is this correct?
- Do you need to manually boot into fastboot mode (volume up, blue led)?
- The sailfish installation uses oem for android 6, here 7 is used. Can this make the difference?

Thanks for any support.

samijam

Jul 3, 2012
Marion, IL
Did you run the commands through ssh or via the Terminal app? Mind doing a "select all" and copy-paste the output to some paste service?
EDIT: Also, did you reboot after issuing the commands?

Sorry for the late reply. I got it to work now. My problem was using an outdated system.img and boot.img. (oops, sorry, my bad!) I had downloaded the newer versions, but had them in the wrong directory. Once I deleted the old and installed the correct versions, I was able to get audio in calls and had the basic camera functionality.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Thanks for the work on this.
I need a little bit more explanation on how to install this. I gave it a try, but I end up in getting a white boot screen with the sony logo. Installing SailfishOS with the flash.sh script works perfectly.

Questions:
- When do you need to use twrp? When running adb?
- Running the halium install script only works when booted into twrp. Is this correct?
- Do you need to manually boot into fastboot mode (volume up, blue led)?
- The sailfish installation uses oem for android 6, here 7 is used. Can this make the difference?

Thanks for any support.

boot into fastboot and flash the oem:
fastboot flash oem SW_binaries_for_Xperia_AOSP_N_MR1_5.7_r1_v08_loire.img

then boot into twrp recovery and wipe /system and /data
while in twrp, run the halium-install.sh script (because the computer needs to connect to phone in adb mode, which twrp provides)

following from there, as you see in the first post, you will run "adb reboot bootloader" (but I think I did have to do it manually) which should put you back into fastboot mode where you'll "fastboot flash boot halium-boot.img"

then you should be able to reboot into ubuntu. The first boot takes a little longer.

beidl

Apr 30, 2009
Vienna
fredl.me
As I get the question very often: To support the F5122 variant of the Xperia X (or other devices in general) for Ubuntu Touch I need donations to buy the device.
Use the "Donate To Me" button on XDA or head over to https://fredl.me/donate/ for info on how to do so.

In other news: The Xperia X F5121 has gained support for the official UBports installer. You can now flash the device using a fancy GUI.

Dec 18, 2014
Kaunas
Xiaomi Mi 9
I hit 2 problems. For some reason neither Emma nor flashtool wants to flash stock rom correctly. Tried to flash ubuntu through stock 8.0 custom rom, phone reboots and black screen. Also there is was an error with something that the file couldn't be sent to the phone

Ok, so I did install the stock rom through EMMA fine. I did enable the usb debugging, installed twrp, wiped system & data, made sure they are EXT4. Rebooted to fastboot, installed SW binaries. Opened UBports Installer & proceeded with instructions. I got this error
Code:
Error: systemimage: Error: Error: {"error":{"killed":false,"code":1,"signal":null,"cmd":"C:\\Users\\domin\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\1Uo4H80AYPnCivmpnC8M9LLWxLb\\resources\\app.asar.unpacked\\platform-tools\\win\\adb -P 5037 shell mount -a"},"stdout":"","stderr":"mount: mounting /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata on /data failed: Invalid argument"}

Any solutions, did I miss something? I gonna retry without the twrp step, as I am pretty sure the partition format will be EXT4

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
    Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.

Known issues:
    • Recording video doesn't work
    • Changing volume in-call doesn't work

Contribute:
    As not everything is working fully yet helping hands are welcome!
    Follow the project management issue over at the Halium GitHub page:
    https://github.com/Halium/projectmanagement/issues/98

Instructions (tested on Ubuntu 18.04):

First make sure to wipe /system & /data from within TWRP. The partitions must be ext4.

please make a porting for kugo (x compact) sir

Someone else is working on that already, but this port is only for the Xperia X (F5121).

In other news:
    Installation instructions have been updated, the Xperia X port is now available from the UBports community channel!
    Reserved for future use
    I've updated download links and the instructions to enable call functionality. Testers welcome! :)
    As I get the question very often: To support the F5122 variant of the Xperia X (or other devices in general) for Ubuntu Touch I need donations to buy the device.
    Use the "Donate To Me" button on XDA or head over to https://fredl.me/donate/ for info on how to do so.

In other news: The Xperia X F5121 has gained support for the official UBports installer. You can now flash the device using a fancy GUI.