• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM][F5121][WIP] Ubuntu Touch for Sony Xperia X

Search This thread

DigitalDreamer

Jun 9, 2010
Have the two known issues mentioned above been resolved?
The video recording, fingerprint and some minor quirks are still present, but there are people working on the device making it better.
In the telegram chat somebody already mentioned that is playing around with fingerprint recognition, but it's still in pre alpha.
I've tried both anbox (android) and libertine (Ubuntu desktop) apps, and although you can run some of them, they aren't quite usable.

Reactions: MichaBit

MichaBit

May 6, 2015
The video recording, fingerprint and some minor quirks are still present, but there are people working on the device making it better.

Good to hear thats going on. (y)
Video recording and fingerprint is not so superficial.
For me and daily usage is important:

Does changing volume in-call work?
Is whatsapp running? (My only closed sorce app 🤭)
Could you tell me more about the remaining minor quirks, please?

DigitalDreamer

Jun 9, 2010
Good to hear thats going on. (y)
Video recording and fingerprint is not so superficial.
For me and daily usage is important:

Does changing volume in-call work?
Is whatsapp running? (My only closed sorce app 🤭)
Could you tell me more about the remaining minor quirks, please?
Well cause I'm also developing for it, my version is more unstable.
There are 5 current channels, from which 4 are up to date (one 32bit and 3 64bit versions) and it has the Development32 and the Development, RC and Stable 64bit versions.
You get the occasional message "Phone is not secure, will reboot", but I get the "will power off" message and made me go away from it quickly after I was done with the testing on it.
The way whatsapp works at this moment is by having it run on an android device and use this one as a webapp or something. I haven't tried running it in anbox.
The volume part can be adjusted by an app before the call occurs, so it's a workaround it.
But as I've said, the telegram channels are pretty active and the development is ongoing.

Reactions: MichaBit

MichaBit

May 6, 2015
Well cause I'm also developing for it, my version is more unstable.
There are 5 current channels, from which 4 are up to date (one 32bit and 3 64bit versions) and it has the Development32 and the Development, RC and Stable 64bit versions.
You get the occasional message "Phone is not secure, will reboot", but I get the "will power off" message and made me go away from it quickly after I was done with the testing on it.
The way whatsapp works at this moment is by having it run on an android device and use this one as a webapp or something. I haven't tried running it in anbox.
The volume part can be adjusted by an app before the call occurs, so it's a workaround it.
But as I've said, the telegram channels are pretty active and the development is ongoing.

Thank you for the info.
Maybe I should switch to Telegram, then it would be 100 percent open source again. :unsure:
I still ask one more question:

Can the previously saved contacts be imported via '.vcf'?

Edit:
YEAHH 🥳 Ubuntu is running on my X, I'm thrilled! 🤠
Contacts '* .vcf' are imported. ✅
It's still unfamiliar, but fantastic !! 🤩

Last edited:

MichaBit

May 6, 2015
Could someone explain to me how to install 'Anbox' and 'Telegram'?
It does not take the command via console or wants a password for 'sudo', which I have not assigned. 🤷‍♀️

Edit: Morning learning::
'$ sudo -i' or
How to become root / use sudo?
  • as phablet user simply use "sudo su -"
  • Whenever you're asked for a password, it's phablet.

screenshot Ubuntu Touch 2 20201225.png

Last edited:

levone1

Dec 28, 2014
devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.
Question - I have X Compact. I know from using Sailfish OS that the two devices are so similar that they're nearly identical, (a Sailfish dev was able to make a patch that could be applied to official Sailfish firmware for X to make it flash and work perfectly on XC, as if it was an X - https://together.jolla.com/question...peria-x-compact/?answer=188953#post-id-188953). Could something similar to what was done with Sailfish be done with Ubuntu Touch?

nima0003

Mar 30, 2013
Aurora
Question - I have X Compact. I know from using Sailfish OS that the two devices are so similar that they're nearly identical, (a Sailfish dev was able to make a patch that could be applied to official Sailfish firmware for X to make it flash and work perfectly on XC, as if it was an X - https://together.jolla.com/question...peria-x-compact/?answer=188953#post-id-188953). Could something similar to what was done with Sailfish be done with Ubuntu Touch?
There's already Ubuntu for Kugo

Reactions: levone1

nima0003

Mar 30, 2013
Aurora
great thanks - didn't notice that... Do you know if there's a way to download firmware without using ubports installer?
I don't think so. I was trying to last night because mine was bootloooing with the installer. I do know once the installer downloads the files it sends them to your phone using adb push. You might be able to find the files in the recovery/cache folder.

Reactions: levone1

armorgeddon

Nov 23, 2008
Is there any daily-driver-ready XMPP/Jabber-client for this ROM? The three I found on the OpenStore at least are not sadly.

EDIT: According to UBports forum entries there isn't currently.

Last edited:

levone1

Dec 28, 2014
There's already Ubuntu for Kugo
I don't think so. I was trying to last night because mine was bootloooing with the installer. I do know once the installer downloads the files it sends them to your phone using adb push. You might be able to find the files in the recovery/cache folder.
So, through many attempts on 2 different computers, and many Telegram posts, I'm finding out that there is actually not a working port for XC. None of the UBPorts people know of anyone actually using or booting it, and there's no forum Device page... Still wip which may or may not be finished.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    devices-bq-aquaris-main.png

A Mobile Version of the Ubuntu Operating System
    Ubuntu Touch is made and maintained by the UBports Community. A group of volunteers and passionate people across the world. With Ubuntu Touch we offer a truly unique mobile experience - an alternative to the current most popular operating systems on the market. We believe that everyone is free to use, study, share and improve all software created by the foundation without restrictions. Whenever possible, everything is distributed under free and open source licenses endorsed by the Free Software Foundation, the Open Source Initiative.

For more information check out the UBports website.

Known issues:
    • Recording video doesn't work
    • Changing volume in-call doesn't work

Contribute:
    As not everything is working fully yet helping hands are welcome!
    Follow the project management issue over at the Halium GitHub page:
    https://github.com/Halium/projectmanagement/issues/98

Instructions (tested on Ubuntu 18.04):

First make sure to wipe /system & /data from within TWRP. The partitions must be ext4.

please make a porting for kugo (x compact) sir

Someone else is working on that already, but this port is only for the Xperia X (F5121).

In other news:
    Installation instructions have been updated, the Xperia X port is now available from the UBports community channel!
    Reserved for future use
    I've updated download links and the instructions to enable call functionality. Testers welcome! :)
    As I get the question very often: To support the F5122 variant of the Xperia X (or other devices in general) for Ubuntu Touch I need donations to buy the device.
    Use the "Donate To Me" button on XDA or head over to https://fredl.me/donate/ for info on how to do so.

In other news: The Xperia X F5121 has gained support for the official UBports installer. You can now flash the device using a fancy GUI.