[ROM] Firefox OS 2.5 for Nexus 4

Search This thread

flamingspaz

Jul 23, 2010
London
DFG_2015-04-06-13-08-09-2.png

DFG_2015-04-06-13-08-58-3.png

Firefox OS is the new mobile operating system developed by Mozilla, based on Linux and Firefox's powerful Gecko rendering engine.

Current Known Issues
These builds are pre-alpha software. Expect bugs.
  • MTP/PTP is partially supported
  • Help support Firefox OS by reporting any issues you come across on bugzilla

Downloads (New versions every Monday)
Flash this ROM at your own risk!
Below are CWM/TWRP flashable zips. Latest build has been tested working with multirom.
ALL DOWNLOADS

Enable full DevTools on TWRP multirom
This will wipe any apps and settings you may have installed, but leave other roms and storage intact
  • Go to Settings > Developer
  • Toggle the "Factory Reset and Enable Full DevTools" switch
  • Click Enable and the phone will reboot to TWRP
  • Go to your ROM settings and wipe /data only
  • Reboot back into fxos and you will have devtools enabled

Last edited:

Jack'O

Aug 13, 2011
One of many.
Hi, really liked to give FF a try since first rumors about it, so thanks for this.

Just installed as secondary with MultiROM onwich I have Carbon as primary and Ubuntu yet.
Installation seems gone up right and says "successful", it boot up as expected but there's not keyboard to set the pin code and wifi key.

Is it known or just me?

Edit: Keyboard works if "English (US)" is setted up as primary language.

Last edited:

flamingspaz

Jul 23, 2010
London
Hi, really liked to give FF a try since first rumors about it, so thanks for this.

Just installed as secondary with MultiROM onwich I have Carbon as primary and Ubuntu yet.
Installation seems gone up right and says "successful", it boot up as expected but there's not keyboard to set the pin code and wifi key.

Is it known or just me?

Edit: Keyboard works if "English (US)" is setted up as primary language.

I just tested, I get this issue too when selecting italian as the language for first time boot. I will see if this is an issue in my build or if I need to file a bug. For now you can use English in the first time menu then switch to your language.

Reactions: Jack'O

odysseus_polytropos

Oct 18, 2014
Could not boot FFOS

Hi,
first thanks for the your effort building this image!
I tried it on my Nexus 4 device with the following configuration:
- MultiROM v28
- fresh install of current OmniROM as primary rom
- your FFOS image by 10/02/14 as additional rom

Trying to boot the FFOS image results in infinite loop alternating shownig the FFOS logo in front of blue background and a black screen.

I tried to wipe data and cache and dalvik cache with the result that MultiROM was removed, too. So I had to replace the kernel of OmniROM to one with kexec patch to install MultiROM again. The result for FFOS as secondary ROM was still the same. :(

Any suggestions?

Many regards,
odysseus

SunboX

Dec 7, 2007
Thanks for your great work! I will buy a Nexus 4 now, just to install Firefox OS. :) I'm owning a Keon, but it's more like a geek toy than a useful Smartphone. Had several Flame Phones in my hand lately. A lot better, but screen and camera quality aren't enough for me. So I will try the Nexus 4. :)

Can you post a short tutorial how you do your weekly builds? I have some experience modifying and building Gaia, but Never did a full FxOS build. Will try this next time. :)

Thanks a lot!

Randy Power

Dec 16, 2007
First of all, flamingspaz, THANK YOU so much for doing and sharing this work!

Also, is anyone having trouble with getting mobile data to work? I clean installed, but turning on mobile data seemed to fail the first few times I tried flipping the switch. Then it seemed to work (the switch showed data was turned on). After that, the switch would turn on and off, but I still had no data from mobile cell service.

I'm running an lte hybrid radio with 1.03+.33. Haven't tried other (especially non hybrid) radios but that's next on my list.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DFG_2015-04-06-13-08-09-2.png

DFG_2015-04-06-13-08-58-3.png

Firefox OS is the new mobile operating system developed by Mozilla, based on Linux and Firefox's powerful Gecko rendering engine.

Current Known Issues
    These builds are pre-alpha software. Expect bugs.
    • MTP/PTP is partially supported
    • Help support Firefox OS by reporting any issues you come across on bugzilla

Downloads (New versions every Monday)
    Flash this ROM at your own risk!
    Below are CWM/TWRP flashable zips. Latest build has been tested working with multirom.
    ALL DOWNLOADS

Enable full DevTools on TWRP multirom
    This will wipe any apps and settings you may have installed, but leave other roms and storage intact
    • Go to Settings > Developer
    • Toggle the "Factory Reset and Enable Full DevTools" switch
    • Click Enable and the phone will reboot to TWRP
    • Go to your ROM settings and wipe /data only
    • Reboot back into fxos and you will have devtools enabled
    Apologies for the lack of builds, last week it was failing and then I didn't have too much time.

I have added a build from today to the OP, it brings small new features and some performance improvements (especially with app switching).

Enjoy!
    Thanks, guys.

Wazzup with the new announcement that mozilla is discontinuing "developing firefox os for smartphones"? Many are interpreting this to mean that OS development is completely ending, even though that hasn't been explicitly stated. I took it to mean that they won't be supporting firefox os phones. But the future of OS development, and the ability to flash the rom, is not clear to me.

b2g is not dead, dont worry about that. It was really thrown out of line and not said correctly. We are not stopping development, we are no longer going to be signing contracts with any company for new devices. B2G in a sense yes its gone, we are now instead connected devices. we are kinda just changing orientation. not everything has been made public yet.

mozilla rep
    Firefox os qa
    Jamie charlton
    Updated OP with a list of all builds now, last one should be the latest.

New build is also up, now with 100% less blurry icons :good:
    what the different of FFOS and Android OS?

FxOS is fully open source (except hardware drivers). Android is only partly open source. FxOS has much lower hardware requirements and runs even on a $35 smartphone. The new low end Android One requires hardware for $100. And last, but in my case best feature, most parts of FxOS are build using JavaScript and HTML5 (and CSS....). They dropped the whole Java layer and booted directly into a "Firefox Browser". This one runs the whole "OS". This means, everyone who's a good web dev can easily modify FxOS. All source is at Github and there are good docs how you build and flash Gaia, the "main" part of FxOS.

And FxOS is from Mozilla. Mozilla's goal is to save the web, not to make money with user data.