[ROM] Flashable eMMC dual boot ROMs (Froyo, Honeycomb, Eclair, CM7)

Search This thread

bachviet

Jun 14, 2006
SoCal
I'M TRYING THIS SET-UP AND AS STATED ABOVE, WONT WORK FOR ME

Sorry for caps lol

I first flashed the customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8, which erased my internal memory. Then I flashed the prep-dualboot-0.1.zip and cm7-dual-boot-flashable-nightly-3.zip. Press "n" while booting up would boot into the dual boot CM7.

lukassky

Jul 13, 2006
Hi again!

I'm going to share my scenario w/ you and I by the way to ask for some help:

0.- First of all, everything I tested was made booting from a SD card (512Mb) with a CWR 3.0.0.5 (Read here -> http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html )

1.- Full recovery of the NC with a 1.0.1 version (original from B&N --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720 )

2.- Rooted the system

3.- Flashed with the prep-dualboot-01

4.-Flashed with HC 4 with gapps

5.-Flashed w/ dalingrin's 1.1GHz OC kernel for dual boot HC

Ok, once arrived to this scenario, now i have a "big" problem --> CANNOT mount my miniSD card if I boot HC but if i boot the first partition (B&N) it works perfectly. :(

Anyone has found the same problem?

Thanks.

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
I first flashed the customized Nookie Froyo 0.6.8, which erased my internal memory. Then I flashed the prep-dualboot-0.1.zip and cm7-dual-boot-flashable-nightly-3.zip. Press "n" while booting up would boot into the dual boot CM7.

The only thing i didn't do was touch my CM7 nightly rom *primary*
It isn't the version from post 1

It was mentioned that it is not necessary to do so.

I was wondering if i was to flash CM from post 1 as primary, how would i do so.
Then, go and flash HC as my secondary.

I need to look into how to flash a rom to specific partition.
Will be re-doing this later today.

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
Regarding Clockwork:

I don't use ADB. I don't have CW installed on internal memory. I am running the newest version of CW for the Nook--".6" is it?--from my microSD.

Can I just drop the files on my microSD and flash from CW?

If so: It appears this won't alter my already existing Auto-Nooter 3.0 files, but will simply move that into its separate (primary) partition?

jkcpsal

Jun 18, 2010
St. Louis
Hey Im trying to figure out how to edit the updater-script to flash the clean theme zip to dual boot. I thought I could figure it out by looking at one from nookfroyo or kernel for dualboot but Im still lost lol. Any help? Thanks in advance.

sudhirkhanger

Jun 29, 2010
Is HC image rootable? Can i use methods mentioned in other threads to root HC?

How are you guys flashing OC kernel? Every time i flash the zip it still shows 2.6.29 omap1 in kernel.

crash447

Feb 27, 2010
I am still wondering if I need to wipe anything and if so what if I loaded up the HC v4 on here, but now would like to load Nookie Froyo instead.

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
Well, no one answered my question (as expected, it is XDA after all--but well worth visiting this site due to the wealth of knowledge despite anything else)...

...I am not afraid of just trying stuff.. did a Titanium backup of course.

I had Auto Nooter 3.0 on my eMMC and most of my 5 gig Media Partition empty. So I went into ROM Manager, made sure I had the newest Clockwork Recovery (I did) booted into it...

Flashed the first zip to make the Dual Partition (small file) said it was going to take a while to do this... it took about 10 minutes (a long wait compared to most flashing done in CWM) and then I flashed the 96 MB Honeycomb file and that took about 5 minutes....

...and it said it was done. I did not wipe anything nor do anything else special.

Booted back to my old Auto-Nooter 3.0 Rooted Stock, it was all there.
Powered down. Powered up while holding the "N" and logged into Honeycomb.

Great stuff... easy....

Now I will just have to find out how to reverse this all because I am getting a replacement Nook from B/N in the mail in two days (dead pixel).

Honeycomb, I might add, is still VERY rough but cool nonetheless.

Hope this info helps any other Noobs like myself.

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
I did read that. I was assuming there was more than flashing one zip? If not, than this is the greatest thing indeed! (assuming that zip just deletes the partition as if nothing happened to begin with?)

- Sent from my Super Clean Fascinate on the XDA app

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
Well, no one answered my question (as expected, it is XDA after all--but well worth visiting this site due to the wealth of knowledge despite anything else)...

...I am not afraid of just trying stuff.. did a Titanium backup of course.

I had Auto Nooter 3.0 on my eMMC and most of my 5 gig Media Partition empty. So I went into ROM Manager, made sure I had the newest Clockwork Recovery (I did) booted into it...

Flashed the first zip to make the Dual Partition (small file) said it was going to take a while to do this... it took about 10 minutes (a long wait compared to most flashing done in CWM) and then I flashed the 96 MB Honeycomb file and that took about 5 minutes....

...and it said it was done. I did not wipe anything nor do anything else special.

Booted back to my old Auto-Nooter 3.0 Rooted Stock, it was all there.
Powered down. Powered up while holding the "N" and logged into Honeycomb.

Great stuff... easy....

Now I will just have to find out how to reverse this all because I am getting a replacement Nook from B/N in the mail in two days (dead pixel).

Honeycomb, I might add, is still VERY rough but cool nonetheless.

Hope this info helps any other Noobs like myself.

Just to change your mind about this community. Its pretty simple to return to stock. First flash the remove_dualboot zip from the OP. Once finished. Just follow directions here to return stock for 1.0.0 or 1.0.1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914690

For 1.1.0. Just follow directions from this thread to return to stock. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945838

Hope this helps somewhat. And changes your mind about our great community here slightly at least. :D

Reactions: Eddog4DROID

knaries2000

Apr 13, 2009
tar backup of 2nd image.

thank you rookie1 and all the devs for making all this possible.

I have been using froyo as my 2nd rom and everything runs great, and it actually have become my primary rom, so I have modified boot to actually boot up my 2nd image as default. The only thing missing was backup, since clockwork backup doesn't work for the 2nd image. Anyways, I have whipped out a couple of scripts that will backup and restore the 2nd rom. I wrote it for myself but figure maybe someone here could find it useful.

It's pretty simple, all it does is tar up the system, data, and boot partition. I know that I actually don't have to back boot because clockworks would do it, so the restore script actually doesn't restore it. I tar'ed it up just in case, and it's small. The backup files are store in your sdcard, /sdcard/clockworkmod/dualboot_froyo/{date_stamp}/

Also unfortunately, I actually have never had to use the restore because I haven't screwed it up yet. So restore may not work. I have backed up many times and checked the content, and everything seems to be there. So use restore only if your froyo installation is screwed up already and use this as last attempt to fix it. Worse case if restore doesn't work and you have the backup, you can manually untar and copy the data back.

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, and only if you know what you are doing. unfortunately I didn't do this for general usage. You are free to change the scripts anyway you see fit. If I have time, I will offer to help when needed. I can't say it may work for anything other than froyo as the 2nd rom, although they should assuming the same partitions are used for system and data. Hope fully someone can change cwr to backup 2nd rom, and this becomes useless (maybe someone already did and I didn't notice).

instructions :

Must boot into your 1st (primary rom).
download the zip file and extract them to /sdcard/
then from terminal on nook (you may use adb if you like).

[to backup]

su
sh /sdcard/backup_froyo.sh

[to restore]

su
sh /sdcard/restore_froyo.sh {path_to_backup_dir}

Attachments

• backup.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 11

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
Hey I love the community. I understand every noob can't have their questions answered! I will take what I can get. Thanks for your answers!

- Sent from my Super Clean Fascinate on the XDA app

racks11479

Jan 2, 2011
Fresh Meadows
thank you rookie1 and all the devs for making all this possible.

I have been using froyo as my 2nd rom and everything runs great, and it actually have become my primary rom, so I have modified boot to actually boot up my 2nd image as default. The only thing missing was backup, since clockwork backup doesn't work for the 2nd image. Anyways, I have whipped out a couple of scripts that will backup and restore the 2nd rom. I wrote it for myself but figure maybe someone here could find it useful.

It's pretty simple, all it does is tar up the system, data, and boot partition. I know that I actually don't have to back boot because clockworks would do it, so the restore script actually doesn't restore it. I tar'ed it up just in case, and it's small. The backup files are store in your sdcard, /sdcard/clockworkmod/dualboot_froyo/{date_stamp}/

Also unfortunately, I actually have never had to use the restore because I haven't screwed it up yet. So restore may not work. I have backed up many times and checked the content, and everything seems to be there. So use restore only if your froyo installation is screwed up already and use this as last attempt to fix it. Worse case if restore doesn't work and you have the backup, you can manually untar and copy the data back.

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, and only if you know what you are doing. unfortunately I didn't do this for general usage. You are free to change the scripts anyway you see fit. If I have time, I will offer to help when needed. I can't say it may work for anything other than froyo as the 2nd rom, although they should assuming the same partitions are used for system and data. Hope fully someone can change cwr to backup 2nd rom, and this becomes useless (maybe someone already did and I didn't notice).

instructions :

Must boot into your 1st (primary rom).
download the zip file and extract them to /sdcard/
then from terminal on nook (you may use adb if you like).

[to backup]

su
sh /sdcard/backup_froyo.sh

[to restore]

su
sh /sdcard/restore_froyo.sh {path_to_backup_dir}

Thank you for your contribution. Really could have used this about 4 hours ago when I was trying to make a bootable HCv4 2nd eddition sd from sammuelhaffs emmc rom. Messed up in the script somewhere and wiped my nook. Lol. Had to start from scratch again. I'll definitely try this next time. Thanks again.

lukassky

Jul 13, 2006
Hi again!

Finally, i decided to erase the HC from the dual boot even the dual boot itself.

I've just installed as a primary boot and works nice.

Regards :D

Hi again!

I'm going to share my scenario w/ you and I by the way to ask for some help:

0.- First of all, everything I tested was made booting from a SD card (512Mb) with a CWR 3.0.0.5 (Read here -> http://legacyschool.us.to/nookdev/clockwork/rootpack-instructions.html )

1.- Full recovery of the NC with a 1.0.1 version (original from B&N --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=931720 )

2.- Rooted the system

3.- Flashed with the prep-dualboot-01

4.-Flashed with HC 4 with gapps

5.-Flashed w/ dalingrin's 1.1GHz OC kernel for dual boot HC

Ok, once arrived to this scenario, now i have a "big" problem --> CANNOT mount my miniSD card if I boot HC but if i boot the first partition (B&N) it works perfectly. :(

Anyone has found the same problem?

Thanks.

Eddog4DROID

Dec 2, 2010
Yeah the HC doesn't come rooted. Early in this thread that was mentioned. There were some options. Just gotta find the right one now.

Sent from Rooted NOOKColor 2.1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created a few flashable zip files to ease the eMMC dual boot setup. You can flash them using Clock Work Recovery.

Warning: Only specially packaged flashable dual boot ROMs like the ones I packaged below will flash to dual boot partition. Other flashable zips will overwrite your default boot.

Seems there is a problem flashing the zips from CWM on SD. See this post for a workaround, or use CWM on eMMC.

Just a word on booting into recovery. With the dual boot u-boot.bin, I have changed the button combo to VOL UP + VOL DOWN for recovery. So if you want to go to recovery, remember this is the key combo you need to hit. Not Power + n.

1. Prepare dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/prep-dualboot-0.1.zip

Flash this zip file will setup the dual boot partitions. If your NC is already setup using my previous dual boot script, there is no need to flash this again.

Note 1 - This does a resize of your /media partition. You data on /media should be intact. If you want to be safe, backup your /media before flashing.
    Note 2 - /media partition will be resized to about 3.9 GB. If your existing data on /media is more that 3.9GB, you won't be able to flash this.

2. Remove dual boot - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20480343/remove-dualboot-0.1.zip

If you want to revert to stock, simply flash this file.

3. Dual boot ROMs
    Now the dual boot ROMs. These will be flashed to the dual boot partitions (partition 9 and 10) on eMMC. Hold 'n' button while powering up to boot into dual boot ROM.

My modified u-boot.bin based on B&N 1.2 source - Seems previous version is having compatibility issues with 2.6.32 kernel. This is updated base on B&N 1.2 source. Flash using CWM. It only overwrites the u-boot.bin on boot partition. Boot message should show "(multi)U-Boot v0.3 loading..." after flashing this zip.

Flashable dual boot Nookie Froyo v0.6.8

Flashable dual boot Honeycomb Preview v04

Flashable dual boot HC v04 with gapps - credit goes to pauljohnson75

Flashable dalingrin's 1.1GHz OC kernel for dual boot HC - credit goes to dalingrin for the oc kernel, and pauljohnson75 for creating the dual boot flashable

Flashable zip to move your stock Eclair to dual boot partition v02 - This is not really a ROM strictly speaking. To avoid infringing B&N IP, no file from stock ROM is included in this zip. Scripts in this zip simply copies your stock ROM partitions and make the necessary adjustment to ramdisk. After flashing this, you will have an identical ROM setup on your dual boot partition. You are free to do whatever to your default ROM. For example, you can flash other ROMs to overwrite your default ROM. You will still be able to boot into stock eclair by holding 'n' button. Only thing to note is if the other ROMs you flash overwrites u-boot.bin, you will lose the dual boot capability.

Flashable dual boot CM7 nightly (cm_encore_full-22)
    Note 1 - You can flash this using CWM 3.0.0.5. Newer version of CWM not required.
    Note 2 - This will convert secondary /system and /data partitions to ext4. They will not be compatible with other dual boot ROMs any more. You need to flash remove-dualboot-0.1.zip, then prep-dualboot-0.1.zip, before flashing other dual boot ROMs.
    Note 3 - This will wipe your dualboot data partition.

Link not longer working
    unknown.soul has packaged dalingrin's OC kernels for dual boot. Get them below. thanks unknown.soul
    Eclair
    Froyo
    CM7
    Honeycomb
    Also gapps
    Google Apps

Credits
    cicada for Nookie Froyo. My update scripts are also based on his NF flashable.
    deeper-blue for Honeycomb.
    cm7 dev team for porting CM7 to NC
    other xda developers who have contributed to NC community.
    Quick and dirty guide to create your own CM7 nightly dualboot

<This is tested on nightly 22>

Assuming you are on a linux box,

1. uncompress cm7-dual-boot-flashable-nightly-3.zip to a directory. let's call it cm7-work.
    2. replace system directory and kernel, ramdisk.img from the latest nightly.
    3. run unpacker.sh (attached in this post) in cm7-work. it will unpack ramdisk.img into a new directory called ramdisk-src
    4. go into ramdisk-src to make these 2 changes
    - in init.rc, comment out the line 'mkdir /cache 0771 system cache'. this is because we need to create a symlink later on /cache. if the directory is there, create symlink will fail.
    - in init.encore.rc, find
    Code:
        # create mountpoints
        mkdir /mnt/emmc 0000 system system
        symlink /mnt/emmc /emmc
    then add
    Code:
        mkdir /mnt/cache 0771 system cache
    below.

find
    Code:
        # mount partitions
        mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom sync noatime nodiratime uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=117,dmask=007
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1

replace by
    Code:
        # mount partitions
        mount vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /rom sync noatime nodiratime uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=117,dmask=007
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p9 /system wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p10 /data wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p7 /mnt/cache wait noatime nosuid nodev barrier=1
        chmod 0771 /mnt/cache
        mkdir /mnt/cache/cm7
        chown system cache /mnt/cache/cm7
        chmod 0771 /mnt/cache/cm7
        symlink /mnt/cache/cm7 /cache

5. run packer.sh (attached in this post) in cm7-work. it will pack and replace ramdisk.img. you will need mkimage here. if you are on Ubuntu, install package uboot-mkimage
    6. delete cm7-work/ramdisk-src directory if ramdisk.img is created successfully.
    7. in cm7-work directory, run 'zip -9r cm7-nightly.zip *' to create the flashable zip file. copy cm7-nightly.zip to your sd card and flash.

optional step
    the updater script (META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script) formats the dualboot data partition. If you want to keep your data partition, remove the line 'format("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10");' from this file before step 7.
    CM7-Encore-BR1-20110404-2321-DUALBOOT.zip

OK, I thought the post was saying that I needed to have a CM7 already loaded on the dual boot partition to load the updated RC4 version. In any case I think I'll wait for your updated version. Thanks for the help! :)

Oops. I meant to say for CM7 or "new" to dual-boot only. It probably won't work if you already had HC or Froyo on the 2nd partition.

Anyway, here's the latest 04/04/2011 update from Mad-Murdock that's been Dual-Boot-inized.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17305480/CM7-Encore-BR1-20110404-2321-DUALBOOT.zip

Previous CM7 on dual boot users:
    1. Download and put on SDCard
    2. Reboot into Clockwork Recovery (version 3.0.1.0+)
    3. Flash downloaded zip file.
    4. Reboot holding "N"
    5. Check the Tablet Tweaks thread for more info.

New dual-boot users:
    1. Check OP for info and warnings. Then flash prep-dualboot file first.
    2. Follow steps above for Previous CM7 on dual boot users.

File contains 04/04/2011 CM7 Nightly Build with Mad-Murdock's Tablet Tweaks (almost bug-free), latest CM7 Google Apps, and Darlingin's 1100Mhz overclock kernel pre-installed.

This does not touch your stock eclair boot and does not wipe your data partition.
    I've update the multiboot u-boot.bin base on B&N 1.2 source. Download link in OP.
    I got the same error as nagmier above last week and it looks like there is a similar group of people in the General discussion forms about having issues creating the extra partitions. The error in the recovery.log shows that that parted command says permission denied. I did an adb shell when I was in CWR 3.0.0.5 and when I manually ran the parted command I also got permission denied. (I typed su before that command to make sure I was root)

Looks like this is a problem with the CWM SD image. /sbin/parted is not executable in that image. If you are familiar with command line, just adb shell into CWM, run 'chmod 755 /sbin/parted', then proceed to flash the zip. Note the change is only in memory. Every time after reboot into CWM, you have to run this command again. Or alternatively, use the CWM on eMMC via Rom Manager.

I will leave a message in the CWM SD thread to let thecubed know.