Development [ROM][FP3][A13] iodéOS = LineageOS 20 + MicroG + adblocker [09/11/2023]

Search This thread
In the installation-guide it says:
5. fastboot flash boot <recovery for FP3(+)>
It doesn't state anywhere that this is a command supposed to be typed in a terminal on a PC that has fastboot installed and the phone connected via USB. The guide looks like it aims at people who use the stock os (because it explains how to unlock the bootloader), those people would be lost trying to install iode with this guide. I am not sure why it is written like that but let me know if I can help improving these guides.

However, it doesn't work for me and gives an error:
boot partition is smaller than boot image
Screenshot from 2022-08-06 16-42-07.png

As far as I understand this error is to be expected because the FP3 uses A/B partitions, but maybe I am missing something. However, the fact that I was able to solve this issue by appending a boot-slot to the partition-name seems to confirm my suspicion.
Screenshot from 2022-08-06 17-11-21.png

I ran it for each slot to make sure it will boot no matter which slot is flagged as active.

Last edited:

Lip0ly

Jul 14, 2015
I'm currently looking forward to install iodeOS on my FP3 since /e/ totally screwed up their OTA updates and I'm stuck on Android 9 ...

I've got three questions regarding this though:

1. The instructions state to flash the iodeRecovery (fastboot flash boot <recovery for FP3(+)>) but I would rather stick with TWRP. Will this cause any issues?

2. How do I keep this OS up2date (minor and major releases)? Just sideloading the latest version but without the "Format Data/factory reset"?

3. How is it possible that the FP3 works with a re-locked bootloader (fastboot oem lock)?
I thought as soon as unofficial recoveries/ROMs are being flashed the phone won't boot.

/e: Are the instructions located here outdated? I'm asking because the FP3 does indeed have a/b slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: SigmundDroid

margheg88

Nov 16, 2022
Good morning. I migrated yesterday to Iodè. The camera is not taking picture nor saving any. Any clue about what to do? Thank you!

Marghe_88

Dec 3, 2022
Dear everyone, thanks for your great work on iodé. My work account is based on Google unfortunately. The Gmail app wasn't working properly (at least with that account) but I've sorted that out with an alternative email app. However, also Drive does not seem to sync properly. Do you have any alternative app for connecting to drive to suggest? Thanks!

lPolarisl

Dec 25, 2018
Nvidia Shield
Fairphone
I'm currently looking forward to install iodeOS on my FP3 since /e/ totally screwed up their OTA updates and I'm stuck on Android 9 ...

I've got three questions regarding this though:

1. The instructions state to flash the iodeRecovery (fastboot flash boot <recovery for FP3(+)>) but I would rather stick with TWRP. Will this cause any issues?

2. How do I keep this OS up2date (minor and major releases)? Just sideloading the latest version but without the "Format Data/factory reset"?

3. How is it possible that the FP3 works with a re-locked bootloader (fastboot oem lock)?
I thought as soon as unofficial recoveries/ROMs are being flashed the phone won't boot.

/e: Are the instructions located here outdated? I'm asking because the FP3 does indeed have a/b slots.
Did you manage to get your first point to work ?
I have installed iodé, but it auto-encrypts the data, and TWRP just corrupts the user data whenever I boot into it...

Marghe_88

Dec 3, 2022
hello. I have updated my PF3 to iodé3.5 via OTA. First reboot seemed ok and 3.5 installed, even though 3.4 was still appearing in the updates list but I deleted it. After turning off and rebooting now my phone is stuck on splash screen. Can someone please please help

lPolarisl

Dec 25, 2018
Nvidia Shield
Fairphone
hello. I have updated my PF3 to iodé3.5 via OTA. First reboot seemed ok and 3.5 installed, even though 3.4 was still appearing in the updates list but I deleted it. After turning off and rebooting now my phone is stuck on splash screen. Can someone please please help
Stuff like this is why I'm always afraid to update x(
Were you rooted ? Can you start up in safe mode ?

Marghe_88

Dec 3, 2022
Stuff like this is why I'm always afraid to update x(
Were you rooted ? Can you start up in safe mode ?
Hi, no rooted device. I can boot in fastboot and recovery mode but I am always stuck on splash when rebooting even though I tried to fastboot recovery.img and then adb sideload .zip on both slots a&b. In the meantime, I have received this answer from support that I find quite confusing considering that my device was running on 3.4 (and perfectly working before). Any ideas here?
1675759577890.png

Marghe_88

Dec 3, 2022
Hi, no rooted device. I can boot in fastboot and recovery mode but I am always stuck on splash when rebooting even though I tried to fastboot recovery.img and then adb sideload .zip on both slots a&b. In the meantime, I have received this answer from support that I find quite confusing considering that my device was running on 3.4 (and perfectly working before). Any ideas here?View attachment 5829897
Looks like the email was sent to the wrong recipient. They are now replying the following:

I have reported your issue to the technical team, I am not sure why the OTA has failed for you on your FP3.

I am afraid you will probably have to reset the phone (and the data stored on the phone) along the way to reboot normally with the phone..

To reset the phone:

• press VOLUME DOWN + power button while it's shut down until the phone vibrates and boot to recovery (dark and purple screen)
  • From the menu -> Factory reset -> Format data/factory reset -> Format data
  • Then go back to the main menu and go to 'Reboot system'.
I am sorry I have no other immediate solution to solve your problem and really sorry about your data that will be reset along the way..

_______________________________________________-

I replied asking clarification about whether I should reinstall bot .img & adb sideload update after formatting (which I would really gladly avoid considering it would cause all my data to be lost). Waiting for them to get back.

lPolarisl

Dec 25, 2018
Nvidia Shield
Fairphone
Sounds like they f*cked up the encryption... But yeah, shouldn't be a problem considering you were already on 3...
You could still try to do a factory reset with the iodé recovery, then see if you can start :/ (procedure that works for me when I ran into encryption problems that f*cked-up my internal storage).
A factory reset deletes all your data though, yeah...

Reactions: Marghe_88

Marghe_88

Dec 3, 2022
Sounds like they f*cked up the encryption... But yeah, shouldn't be a problem considering you were already on 3...
You could still try to do a factory reset with the iodé recovery, then see if you can start :/ (procedure that works for me when I ran into encryption problems that f*cked-up my internal storage).
A factory reset deletes all your data though, yeah...
Yeah, I am aware of that. They are also suggesting factory reset. it is unclear for me though whether I should fastboot recovery image & then sideload .zip again after factory reset. Can you please detail out the procedure for me? So frustrating and unforeseen to lose all my data (especially pics) btw...

lPolarisl

Dec 25, 2018
Nvidia Shield
Fairphone
Okay so. Data in smartphones nowadays is encrypted. That means, data can be accessed only through the android OS, after the lockscreen has been opened.
If something goes wrong and something else tries to access this data without decrypting it (in my case, through TWRP recovery), it corrupts all of the userdata.
This means security is stronger on your device, since your data basically self-destructs when someone tries to access it the wrong way.
The problem is, once it's borked, it's borked. And you can't start up your phone anymore. If this is what happened, your data is already lost, and you need to factory reset your phone to be able to use it again, no other steps needed.
The procedure you need to follow is what they wrote you in the second mail.
  • press VOLUME DOWN + power button while it's shut down until the phone vibrates and boot to recovery (dark and purple screen)
  • From the menu -> Factory reset -> Format data/factory reset -> Format data
  • Then go back to the main menu and go to 'Reboot system'.
No other steps needed.

This is a bigger fear of mine. I keep all personal files and pictures on an external SD card, set-up only for file transfer. I haven't checked it yet, but from what I understand, those files don't get encrypted.

vince31fr

Dec 18, 2016
Toulouse
Yeah, I am aware of that. They are also suggesting factory reset. it is unclear for me though whether I should fastboot recovery image & then sideload .zip again after factory reset. Can you please detail out the procedure for me? So frustrating and unforeseen to lose all my data (especially pics) btw...
I'm very sorry for this problem, but effectively this kind of thing may happen... (even on stock roms this sometimes happens).
iodéOS 3.5 for FP3 has been tested by many beta tester though, already been downloaded more than 70 times on github (public info from github), no one else had this problem... couldn't it be due to rooting for example, anything else you maybe made to modify the system ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    iode_logo.png

Introduction

iodéOS is a privacy-focused operating system powered by LineageOS and based on the Android mobile platform. iodéOS aims at protecting the user's privacy with a built-in adblocker and by freeing the smartphone from snitches.

The objectives in the conception of this ROM are threefold:

1. To keep the stability and security level of LineageOS, by minimizing the modifications made to the system. Apart the system modifications required by the adblocker, we mainly only added a few useful options commonly found in other custom ROMs, made some cosmetic changes, modified a few default settings to prevent data leaks to Google servers.
    2. To ease a quick adoption of this ROM by new users. We especially target users that are concerned by the protection of their privacy, but are not reluctant to still use inquisitive apps like Google ones. We thus included MicroG as well as a coherent set of default apps, and simplified the initial setup of the system. Particularly, an initialization of MicroG has been made with GCM notifications allowed by default, a privacy-friendly network location provider (DéjàVu) pre-selected, as well as Nominatim Geocoder.
    3. To provide a new and powerful way of blocking ads, malwares, data leaks of all kinds to many intrusive servers. We are developing an analyzer, tightly integrated into the system, that captures all DNS requests and network traffic, as well as a user interface (the iodé app). Compared to some other well-known adblockers, this has the advantages of:
      • Avoiding to lock the VPN for that use. You can even use another adblocker that uses VPN technology alongside our blocker.
      • Being independent of the kind of DNS server used by the system or set by an independent app: classical DNS on UDP port 53 or any other one, DNS over TLS (DoT), DNS over HTTPS (DoH), ..., as we capture the DNS requests before they are transmitted to the system function that emits the DNS request. What we do not support, is DoH when it is natively built into applications, i.e. when an app communicates directly with a DoH server, without asking name resolution to the system. It would require to decrypt HTTPS packets between such an app and the DoH server, which may create a big security hole.
      • Precisely mapping DNS requests and network packets to the Android apps that emitted (or received) them.
      • Deciding which apps have a filtered network usage (by default, all apps), and which ones can communicate with blacklisted servers.
      Since its first versions, we added many features to the iodé blocker: several levels of protection, fine-grained control over the hosts that should be blocked or authorized, displaying statistics on a map to see the quantity of data exchanged to which countries, clearing statistics... We are actively developing the blocker, and new functionalities will be regularly added.

Features

Changes in LineageOS to prevent data leaks:

• Default DNS server: Google's DNS replaced by Quad9's 'unblocked' servers in all parts of the system.
    • A-GPS: patches to avoid leaking personnal information like IMSI to supl server.
    • Captive portal login: connectivitycheck.gstatic.com replaced by captiveportal.kuketz.de for connectivity check.
    • Dialer: Google default option replaced by OpenStreetMap for phone number lookup.

Pre-installed apps:

We included many useful default apps, but our choice cannot suit everyone; so we added the possibility to remove them. It can be done at the end of the phone setup, or at any time by going to Parameters -> Apps & Notifications -> Preinstalled apps.

• MicroG core apps: GmsCore, GsfProxy, FakeStore.
    • NLP backends for MicroG : DejaVuNLPBackend (default), MozillaNLPBackend, AppleNLPBackend, RadioCellsNLPBackend, Nominatim Geocoder.
    • App stores : FDroid (with F-Droid Privileged Extension) and Aurora Store.
    • Browser: our own fork of Firefox (with Qwant as default search engine, many other ones added, telemetry disabled, parts of telemetry code removed) instead of Lineage’s default browser Jelly.
    • SMS: QKSMS instead of Lineage's default SMS app.
    • Email: p≡p (Pretty Easy Privacy).
    • Camera: our own fork of Open Camera, with a few tweaks.
    • Maps/navigation: Magic Earth GPS & Navigation (the only one free but not open source).
    • Keyboard: OpenBoard instead of AOSP keyboard.
    • PDF: Pdf Viewer Plus.
    • Personnal notes: Carnet.
    • {Ad/Malware/Data leak}-blocker: iodé.
    • News: to keep users informed about our developments, as well as a FAQ.
    • Meteo: Geometric Weather.

Pre-included FDroid repository:

The apps that we tweak or develop (microG services, the browser based on Firefox, the News app, Open Camera ...) are available through a repository that we included in FDroid (check the "Apps for iodéOS" category). For this purpose and to avoid name conflicts of some apps, we also had to make a few changes in FDroid.

Useful options from other custom ROMs:
    • Smart charging (disables charging when a given level is reached, to protect battery health).
    • Fingerprint vibration toggle.
    • Swipe down to clear all in recent apps (Android 10 only).

Installation Instructions

To download and flash our latest build, see https://gitlab.com/iode/ota.
    You can also find here direct links to the latest builds.

Supported devices

Sources

Bug Reporting

You can post a message in this thread or (preferred) open an issue here.

Credits

LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.
    All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. If you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit their Wiki for more details.
    This ROM would be nothing without the tremendous work made on MicroG, and all the other open source apps that we included. We are very grateful to their authors.

Contributors

Direct contributors: @iodeOS, @vince31fr
    Indirect contributors (too numerous to list): All the people that contributed to the device tree, to LineageOS, and to the included open source apps.

Sponsoring

You can help in the development of this ROM by paying us a coffee here: https://paypal.me/iodeOS.

Screenshots

iode_home1.png
    iode_home2.png
    iode_drawer.png
    iode_preinstalled.png
    blocker_home.png
    blocker_report.png
    blocker_stream.png
    blocker_map.png
    blocker_lists.png
    blocker_blocked.png
    blocker_block_host.png