[ROM] FRG83G with Root (Full 2.2.2 ROM) - now compatible with 2.3.3 OTA

Search This thread

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
I didn't see anyone post this yet, so I thought I could help..

Here's a full 'stock' ROM containing FRG83G (2.2.2). I simply applied the latest OTA to my stock FRG83D and then did a backup of system.img/boot.img, and then created a ROM with my kitchen. You'll need to flash these with a custom recovery image.

USE THIS FIRST ONE ONLY FOR GINGERBREAD UPDATE! READ INFORMATION BELOW REGARDING HBOOT BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

Stock, unrooted, no modifications (comes with updater-script, compatible with Clockwork Recovery, system and boot untouched!):
http://www.mediafire.com/?kdjis8422y8k6nc

The following ones CANNOT be used for an OTA update:

Stock, with root (comes with updater-script, compatible with latest Clockwork Recovery, boot.img modified):
http://www.mediafire.com/?c7u8wxjg6zptqig

The following are modifications made to the stock ROM, with update-script:

Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ftaf6eg30ma81p
Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox: http://www.mediafire.com/?90rcduzsbm5bz77
Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox, Apps2SD, Cache2SD, zipaligned: http://www.multiupload.com/3VP7Z2YIBS

I'm not going to do any more mods to this, but if you wish to customize this ROM to your liking then use something like my HTC Android Kitchen. To set up, please read the FAQ posted in the kitchen thread.

-----

How to get your device ready for the latest OTA update (a.k.a. Gingerbread)

You'll need the following:

I have attached below the stock recovery image that is used for FRG83G so that you can easily flash the next OTA update (Gingerbread). OTA updating will not work successfully if you did mods like de-odexing or altered/removed the system apps, or wrote to one of the files in the boot.img. Therefore, use only the UNMODIFIED, UNROOTED 'stock' ROM above to perform an OTA, in combination with an eligible recovery image. You can always revert to your desired custom recovery image easily, as long as you have root.

To flash the stock recovery from fastboot (reset N1 while holding down trackball):

1) Go to PC and open an ADB shell
2) Copy recovery.img to the same folder as your ADB session
3) type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Or from a terminal app:

1) Copy flash_image (see attached) to /system/bin using Root Explorer or similar, and set permissions to allow execute
2) Copy recovery.img to your SD card
3) type: su
4) type: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

Attachments

• recovery.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,889
  • flash_image.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:

pedroc23

Apr 2, 2008
Houston, TX
Hung on Google X

Coming from Geo's completely stock deodexed FRG83D.

Installed the zip file you posted via Custom Recovery.

Upon reboot, my N1 got hung up on the 4-colored Google X.

Tried twice - no go; reinstalled Geo's FRG83D.

Was hoping to get rid of the annoying update reminder.

Guess I will just wait until Gingerbread is officially released.
I've always been stock ROM, but tempted to try CM7...

Thanks anyway.

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Coming from Geo's completely stock deodexed FRG83D.

Installed the zip file you posted via Custom Recovery.

Upon reboot, my N1 got hung up on the 4-colored Google X.

Tried twice - no go; reinstalled Geo's FRG83D.

Was hoping to get rid of the annoying update reminder.

Guess I will just wait until Gingerbread is officially released.
I've always been stock ROM, but tempted to try CM7...

Thanks anyway.

Sorry about that, I just realized the boot.img was from a later backup of mine, which had some modifications. I have uploaded a fixed version. Please try again if you can.

pedroc23

Apr 2, 2008
Houston, TX
That worked beautifully!

Thanks! The updated file worked beautifully!

One thing...I thought coming from a deodexed ROM that I would gain some memory back, but it doesn't seem that way - or maybe it was so little I didn't notice it.

Got rid of the annoying update reminder!
Thanks again - this should keep me happy until the Gingerbread ROM is officially out - of course, I will wait until rooted version is released...

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Good to know :)

One disadvantage of the stock/odexed ROM is that themes cannot be applied, nor can you use the trackball wake. You could always de-odex the ROM yourself and flash it so that you can use the themes... and then flash back the stock version when you need to update again (provided that you also flash the stock recovery).

EDIT: I have upload a second version with de-odexing and trackball wake.

Last edited:

tech338

Jul 14, 2010
Baltimore
I spent hours last night looking for a ROM like this. Thanks.

Thanks! The updated file worked beautifully!

One thing...I thought coming from a deodexed ROM that I would gain some memory back, but it doesn't seem that way - or maybe it was so little I didn't notice it.

Got rid of the annoying update reminder!
Thanks again - this should keep me happy until the Gingerbread ROM is officially out - of course, I will wait until rooted version is released...

Did you wipe before flashing this ROM? could be that some files were left over from Geo's ROM...

Also, here is how to get rid of that system update nag. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=10870198&postcount=1818

dscott23

Feb 11, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks for posting this. I've decided to go ahead and start making my own, strictly for personal use. I have one question, which could help me along the way.

I used the first ROM you posted here as a starting point, rooted only. How would I go about adding to it, such as the trackball wake? Is that possible with your Kitchen?

Thanks

dsixda

Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Thanks for posting this. I've decided to go ahead and start making my own, strictly for personal use. I have one question, which could help me along the way.

I used the first ROM you posted here as a starting point, rooted only. How would I go about adding to it, such as the trackball wake? Is that possible with your Kitchen?

Thanks

If you want to add trackball wake then you'll need to deodex with the kitchen first. The trackball wake file (android.policy.jar) can be found in this forum.

Have fun

dscott23

Feb 11, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks. And yes, I've already deodexed, enabled most of the options through the Kitchen, and everything is running perfectly. Just looking to make a few more modifications now.

blitz911

May 10, 2010
Hawaii
Nope, just did a backup from rom manager n flashed it from there..went back to clockwork recovery and reflashed geo's frg83d blackbar add-on and wildmonks no720p kernel..

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Nikos_s3

Aug 10, 2010
blitz911 thanks for the feedback...;)
since Geo hasn't released his update yet, I was thinking of flashing the stock update file from recovery, then superuser from recovery as well and fingers crossed everything would go fine.
Now, I think I will do what you did. Nandroid backup first, then flash this ROM and voilla..:)

slvrbllt

Feb 18, 2005
Rome (Caput Mundi)
@dsixda

Thank you very much, mate. Pretty much appreciated.
Still there's a shadow of sorrow over me: if Gingerbread for our beloved N1 would be close to be deployed, this OTA would have never come out, I'm afraid... sigh!

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Smart Watches
OnePlus 8 Pro
@dsixda

Thank you very much, mate. Pretty much appreciated.
Still there's a shadow of sorrow over me: if Gingerbread for our beloved N1 would be close to be deployed, this OTA would have never come out, I'm afraid... sigh!

Not necessarly, this could be in preparation for GB...that's a good thing ;)

@blitz911...thanks for the scoop! :cool:

@dsixda...thanks for getting this rom out to the Nexus gang! :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't see anyone post this yet, so I thought I could help..

Here's a full 'stock' ROM containing FRG83G (2.2.2). I simply applied the latest OTA to my stock FRG83D and then did a backup of system.img/boot.img, and then created a ROM with my kitchen. You'll need to flash these with a custom recovery image.

USE THIS FIRST ONE ONLY FOR GINGERBREAD UPDATE! READ INFORMATION BELOW REGARDING HBOOT BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

Stock, unrooted, no modifications (comes with updater-script, compatible with Clockwork Recovery, system and boot untouched!):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kdjis8422y8k6nc

The following ones CANNOT be used for an OTA update:

Stock, with root (comes with updater-script, compatible with latest Clockwork Recovery, boot.img modified):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?c7u8wxjg6zptqig

The following are modifications made to the stock ROM, with update-script:

Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ftaf6eg30ma81p
    Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox: http://www.mediafire.com/?90rcduzsbm5bz77
    Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox, Apps2SD, Cache2SD, zipaligned: http://www.multiupload.com/3VP7Z2YIBS

I'm not going to do any more mods to this, but if you wish to customize this ROM to your liking then use something like my HTC Android Kitchen. To set up, please read the FAQ posted in the kitchen thread.

-----

How to get your device ready for the latest OTA update (a.k.a. Gingerbread)

You'll need the following:

I have attached below the stock recovery image that is used for FRG83G so that you can easily flash the next OTA update (Gingerbread). OTA updating will not work successfully if you did mods like de-odexing or altered/removed the system apps, or wrote to one of the files in the boot.img. Therefore, use only the UNMODIFIED, UNROOTED 'stock' ROM above to perform an OTA, in combination with an eligible recovery image. You can always revert to your desired custom recovery image easily, as long as you have root.

To flash the stock recovery from fastboot (reset N1 while holding down trackball):

1) Go to PC and open an ADB shell
    2) Copy recovery.img to the same folder as your ADB session
    3) type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Or from a terminal app:

1) Copy flash_image (see attached) to /system/bin using Root Explorer or similar, and set permissions to allow execute
    2) Copy recovery.img to your SD card
    3) type: su
    4) type: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    if you put busybox as well, then you are going to be our hero, Geo No2..:)

If you want busybox you can add it yourself with a kitchen or get the latest from the Market.

EDIT: Uploaded it anyway.
    I will also add I had to update the other Gapps. It was kind of weird. Even though the My Apps tab in the market didn't show updates for stuff like Maps and Goggles, if I searched for them it would show them in the search results with updates. I think I have everything updated now though.
    No trackball alerts is much better than the annoying upgrade alert plus it fixes the messaging bug. Its easy enough to get working, ill just patiently await gingerbread

Sent from my Nexus One