• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[ROM] FRG83G with Root (Full 2.2.2 ROM) - now compatible with 2.3.3 OTA

Search This thread

gotunandan

Jun 25, 2010
Mumbai
I used the Stock unmodified FRG83G and then downloaded the official Gingerbread OTA and got to GRI40. It went smoothly and everything seems fine as of now.

But I do have a query.

A little bit of history first:
I was running Kang-o-Rama (CyanogenMod 6.1.1) and thought, I'll go back to stock.
And I even decided to

That was successful but after that for some reason I was not able to flash the newer 0.35.0017 hboot using fastboot.

fastboot flash hboot hboot.img

gave the following error:

sending 'hboot' (512 KB)... OKAY
writing 'hboot'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this image...
INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)

Did not understand how to solve this, so I just decided to flash the hboot image via recovery using the d6096cac5e9f.signed-hboot-0.35.0017.zip file from the GOOG servers. This went fine and then I flashed the stock FRG83G image and beyond.

Dunno why it would not work with fastboot though, anybody with an answer ?

P.S. Also as I understand, now that I have an unlocked bootloader, I should be able to flash a custom recovery, boot.img images, etc via fastboot as well right ?

colognerunner

Feb 26, 2010
Cologne
flashing this su.zip which i got from another post by netzpirat gave me root after the update

flash from recovery

How did you do this. I can enter the Recovery, but it's the stock recovery now (Android System recovery (e3)) and when I try to install su.zip it says
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Did you get this managed with the Stock recovery ???

gcng

Sep 21, 2010
Brooklyn, NYC
How did you do this. I can enter the Recovery, but it's the stock recovery now (Android System recovery (e3)) and when I try to install su.zip it says
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

Did you get this managed with the Stock recovery ???

no, I used Amon_Ra's 2.2.1

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

robotnoize

Mar 17, 2010
IE
so I have stock recovery back on my phone and I also have stock with no root 2.3.3 on my phone. it seems after I installed the GB ota it cleared my amon Ra. trying to flash su.zip but I can't with stock....can I fastboot flash amon ra again without doing any damage??

rajazeeshan

Sep 30, 2007
Pittsburgh
Originally Posted by robotnoize
so I have stock recovery back on my phone and I also have stock with no root 2.3.3 on my phone. it seems after I installed the GB ota it cleared my amon Ra. trying to flash su.zip but I can't with stock....can I fastboot flash amon ra again without doing any damage??
===================
I am in same boat as you ... any solution ?

Last edited:

gcng

Sep 21, 2010
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally Posted by robotnoize
===================
I am in same boat as you ... any solution ?

worked for me

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA Premium App

rajazeeshan

Sep 30, 2007
Pittsburgh

I had unlocked bootloader and I was in same situation as you with stock bootloader. Just did fastboot flash amon recovery without any issue and now I have amon's recovery back. Give it a shot it worked for me.
I am back to CyanogenMod 6.1.1 Gingerbread is all cool but without track ball wake, FM Radio , no 720 recording hmmm not my taste .. I will wait until some one atleast puts trackball wake ... Good luck !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't see anyone post this yet, so I thought I could help..

Here's a full 'stock' ROM containing FRG83G (2.2.2). I simply applied the latest OTA to my stock FRG83D and then did a backup of system.img/boot.img, and then created a ROM with my kitchen. You'll need to flash these with a custom recovery image.

USE THIS FIRST ONE ONLY FOR GINGERBREAD UPDATE! READ INFORMATION BELOW REGARDING HBOOT BEFORE YOU UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

Stock, unrooted, no modifications (comes with updater-script, compatible with Clockwork Recovery, system and boot untouched!):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kdjis8422y8k6nc

The following ones CANNOT be used for an OTA update:

Stock, with root (comes with updater-script, compatible with latest Clockwork Recovery, boot.img modified):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?c7u8wxjg6zptqig

The following are modifications made to the stock ROM, with update-script:

Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake: http://www.mediafire.com/?1ftaf6eg30ma81p
    Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox: http://www.mediafire.com/?90rcduzsbm5bz77
    Rooted, de-odexed, trackball wake, busybox, Apps2SD, Cache2SD, zipaligned: http://www.multiupload.com/3VP7Z2YIBS

I'm not going to do any more mods to this, but if you wish to customize this ROM to your liking then use something like my HTC Android Kitchen. To set up, please read the FAQ posted in the kitchen thread.

-----

How to get your device ready for the latest OTA update (a.k.a. Gingerbread)

You'll need the following:

I have attached below the stock recovery image that is used for FRG83G so that you can easily flash the next OTA update (Gingerbread). OTA updating will not work successfully if you did mods like de-odexing or altered/removed the system apps, or wrote to one of the files in the boot.img. Therefore, use only the UNMODIFIED, UNROOTED 'stock' ROM above to perform an OTA, in combination with an eligible recovery image. You can always revert to your desired custom recovery image easily, as long as you have root.

To flash the stock recovery from fastboot (reset N1 while holding down trackball):

1) Go to PC and open an ADB shell
    2) Copy recovery.img to the same folder as your ADB session
    3) type: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Or from a terminal app:

1) Copy flash_image (see attached) to /system/bin using Root Explorer or similar, and set permissions to allow execute
    2) Copy recovery.img to your SD card
    3) type: su
    4) type: flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    if you put busybox as well, then you are going to be our hero, Geo No2..:)

If you want busybox you can add it yourself with a kitchen or get the latest from the Market.

EDIT: Uploaded it anyway.
    I will also add I had to update the other Gapps. It was kind of weird. Even though the My Apps tab in the market didn't show updates for stuff like Maps and Goggles, if I searched for them it would show them in the search results with updates. I think I have everything updated now though.
    No trackball alerts is much better than the annoying upgrade alert plus it fixes the messaging bug. Its easy enough to get working, ill just patiently await gingerbread

Sent from my Nexus One