[ROM][FROYO] Tayutama's 1.0.3 Lite Rom/Setiron's 1.2.6 Kernel with Extras

Search This thread

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
Hey guys, over the course of using my captivate there have been a few things I've come to appreciate but it seems I haven't found a rom yet to offer them all. One thing I like is touchwiz. I love the lockscreen and the brightness adjustment on the notification bar most. Next would be the android keyboard, I'm always hitting the damn period button on the samsung one... I also like having a battery with the percentage displayed. Backlight notification is useful too and lastly I like having an automatically alphabetized launcher like the stock touchwiz launcher. Oh and HSUPA is a must, obviously.

So I started with Tayutama's Rom. I then added the stock android keyboard and replaced the launcher with adw launcher because for the life of me I could not find a way to automatically alphabetize the launcher apps with Tayutama's launcher. Plus I just think adw looks cleaner. I also replaced the kernel with Setiron's optimized kernel, threw in setCPU, voltage control and BLN apps to control some of the kernel's features and lastly I replaced the JPM modem with JG8.

You may be wondering why I chose JG8 for the modem. Well read here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=816271
That explains how starting on JG8 produces a more reliable 850 band connection. I recommend flashing JPM or JPP over this modem after installation of the rom.

As for benches, I'm seeing about 17Mflops and 1900 Quadrant with advanced jfs lagfix.

So this rom pretty much gives me everything I've enjoyed in different roms but now in one. I didn't do any real work here, I just threw the things together into an update.zip. So if you wish to say thank you, say thank you to the real developers and donate to them.

Here's the link:
http://www.multiupload.com/LGYWA92SYW

To install simply reboot into clockwork recovery, install from zip and upon reboot enter clockwork recovery again and select your lagfix. Flashing back to stock and master clearing is always a good idea too.
I've been testing it for three days now and not a single problem or force close but I am not responsible for anything this may do to your phone, use at your own risk. That being said, enjoy!

2m4oahw.png
2cibehl.png
28cevkw.png

5pldeq.png
2hcdqqa.png
f9pmo2.png

UPDATE 1 The file has been updated with kernel 1.1.1 and the correct keyboard. Upload wasn't working so I updated the link
UPDATE 2 Kernel updated to version 1.2
UPDATE 3 Kernel updated to version 1.2.6

NOTE ABOUT BATTERY LIFE: Make sure to recalibrate your battery. After recalibration I'm getting great results as seen in the screenshot above
As of right now I've been unplugged for 17hrs 42m and I'm at 75% battery with I guess what you'd call light to moderate usage, a run or two of quadrant/linpack/gps test, two half hour phone calls, some browsing of the web/market, steady texting and some showing off of my phone to friends by flying through apps like it's nothing :D
This is with the JPP modem by the way and with a 50/25 undervolt.

Last edited:

mac208x

Jun 13, 2009
i love the look of this rom! its so glossy and bluish! i love it, im gonna download it and flash it. btw u flash the modem using oldin correct?

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
Soo many good things lately in this forum. It's bananas. :] I'll do this when i wake up! btw.. is this 1.1.1 kernel?

No unfortunately, When I made this the kernel was only at 1.1
I have some class and homework today but when I find time I'll update the kernel and put in the right keyboard into the update.zip
Until then, you'll just have to use clockwork recovery once more to update the kernel.

I love Tayu's roms!! I asked him to make a theme rom for the DocRambone rom and now you have one... AH! What FW do you have? :)

Firmware is JPM Froyo just as in Tayutama's. I am however considering doing what I did here but with Doc's newer Froyo and Tayutama's skin.

This is just about what I am running now, except I had to piece mine together. Nice work LuckyX2

It's a good combo isn't it? I find it "feels" faster then the Doc/Setiron combo even though that has a newer froyo. Odd, maybe It's just my perception that's off.

Last edited:

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Firmware is JPM Froyo just as in Tayutama's. I am however considering doing what I did here but with Doc's newer Froyo and Tayutama's skin.
Tayu's been working on his rom project and I haven't seen any update about a theme so if you could do that I'd be your test dummy ;)

My combo that I love is Tayu's black UI with a green blackbar evo4g look and a specific batterymod.

LuckyX2 what tools did you use and/or tutorials for doing all this stuff? I'm finding myself geeking out with Linux a lot more and even made it my host OS on my laptop.

It's a good combo isn't it? I find it "feels" faster then the Doc/Setiron combo even though that has a newer froyo. Odd, maybe It's just my perception that's off
I've been doing the Setiron kernel with the config tweaks (i/o scheduler, vm kernel optimization, etc...) and it's much faster than when I was on JPM. The lagginess and hesitation has been greatly reduced. I'm also running the lagfix with Advanced frs-free w/ext4 partitions and the only i/o hangup i get is when I install apps and even that has been greatly reduced.

Last edited:

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
LuckyX2 what tools did you use and/or tutorials for doing all this stuff? I'm finding myself geeking out with Linux a lot more and even made it my host OS on my laptop.

To be honest, I just kinda took a guess at how to do this and what do you know; when I flashed it to my phone it worked! I basically took Tayutama's Rom, unzipped it, replaced and added files and then zipped it back up. I don't know if you've ever looked inside an update.zip file but there's a folder inside if you unzip it called META-INF that has a script in it telling the phone where to put what. So I figured as long as I'm not putting anything anywhere that the script for Tayutama's rom isn't, then I should be ok to just use that script. Now I'm assuming that if I used a script from some update.zip that just updated the kernel then no matter what other files I may put in it would only copy over the kernel when installed. As for making your own update script, I don't know. I'm sure that requires some sdk knowledge of which I'm no help.

So here's an example: When I go to update this with the right keyboard and Setiron 1.1.1, all I will do is unzip the current one, replace the 1.1 kernel files with the 1.1.1 files, delete the current android keyboard apk and paste the LatinImeGoogle.apk in the same folder where I deleted the android keyboard apk and then zip it back up. Get it?

Maybe one of the pros can chime in but I think my logic is ok here. I mean it worked and all...

Last edited:

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
i love the look of this rom! its so glossy and bluish! i love it, im gonna download it and flash it. btw u flash the modem using oldin correct?

Sorry I missed your question earlier. Yes you can use odin but for those who find update.zip's easier you can use the update.zip provided on Setiron's thread which has the kernel and the modem. You don't need to flash the kernel but all it's doing is flashing the kernel over the same kernel so nothing changes. You'd really just be using the update.zip to copy over the modem.

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
I tried that and only copied over images and yet I was getting FC's on some of my main processes. I never touched the .xml files or messed around with anything. The only thing I can think of is that Tayu and those guys zipalign their apks so I'm debating trying out this apk manager they use.

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
I tried that and only copied over images and yet I was getting FC's on some of my main processes. I never touched the .xml files or messed around with anything. The only thing I can think of is that Tayu and those guys zipalign their apks so I'm debating trying out this apk manager they use.

The first time I put this together acore was fc'ing like crazy but the second time it worked. Go figure huh? The only thing I can think of that may have had an effect was there was a file in Setiron's kernel update.zip called NOTICE which I copied over the second time but not the first. I'm not too sure though.

Again, maybe a pro could chime in on the correct way.

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
:] saw the update to 1.1.1 downloading now!
lol i know you just uploaded it right now.. or something buh.. don't forget to update the thread title!

Last edited:

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
Can anyone currently using this provide any information on how that battery life is faring? Worse/same/better than stock 2.1 or 2.2?

Also, I'm still a noob when it comes to this stuff...I have no problem installing ROMs and whatnot, but when it comes to altering them in small ways, I usually try not to mess with it so...does this come with Swype functional? Thanks

LuckyX2

Aug 28, 2010
Can anyone currently using this provide any information on how that battery life is faring? Worse/same/better than stock 2.1 or 2.2?

Also, I'm still a noob when it comes to this stuff...I have no problem installing ROMs and whatnot, but when it comes to altering them in small ways, I usually try not to mess with it so...does this come with Swype functional? Thanks

Yep swype is included.
As for battery life, I was getting great battery life last night while still on the JG8 modem. Then I flashed JPP, charged overnight and now it seems to be draining faster. It's been 4hrs 32min since unplugged and I'm down at 66%. I did just get off of an hour long phone call though, so that hit it pretty hard. I'm going to charge it fully and do a recalibration of the battery to see if it's actually draining as quickly as it says.

emjee87

Jun 15, 2010
Schaumburg
Yep swype is included.
As for battery life, I was getting great battery life last night while still on the JG8 modem. Then I flashed JPP, charged overnight and now it seems to be draining faster. It's been 4hrs 32min since unplugged and I'm down at 66%. I did just get off of an hour long phone call though, so that hit it pretty hard. I'm going to charge it fully and do a recalibration of the battery to see if it's actually draining as quickly as it says.

Thanks for the info! Could you please explain (or point me in the direction of an explanation) as to what JPM and JPP means/does? I've gathered that they're names of modems, but as far as which one is better or what the differences are, I can't really tell...

darkamikaze

Aug 7, 2010
Candyland
I think the battery drain is just picky whenever we flash.. I think recalib is necessary every time we do a kernel flash or something.. :/

It sucks cause if we flash alot and do recalib alot lol our battery would suck

id10terrordfw

Aug 3, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
To be honest, I just kinda took a guess at how to do this and what do you know; when I flashed it to my phone it worked! I basically took Tayutama's Rom, unzipped it, replaced and added files and then zipped it back up. I don't know if you've ever looked inside an update.zip file but there's a folder inside if you unzip it called META-INF that has a script in it telling the phone where to put what. So I figured as long as I'm not putting anything anywhere that the script for Tayutama's rom isn't, then I should be ok to just use that script. Now I'm assuming that if I used a script from some update.zip that just updated the kernel then no matter what other files I may put in it would only copy over the kernel when installed. As for making your own update script, I don't know. I'm sure that requires some sdk knowledge of which I'm no help.

So here's an example: When I go to update this with the right keyboard and Setiron 1.1.1, all I will do is unzip the current one, replace the 1.1 kernel files with the 1.1.1 files, delete the current android keyboard apk and paste the LatinImeGoogle.apk in the same folder where I deleted the android keyboard apk and then zip it back up. Get it?

Maybe one of the pros can chime in but I think my logic is ok here. I mean it worked and all...

You're on the right track. I just skip a step and use 7zip to edit the .zip in place. I have my own custom version of all this mashed together as well. I may upload it at some point even.