[ROM][Full Android 5.1 for Shield TV][v.2.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

leasing

Mar 31, 2008
Forgive me for my poor English,Mouse click is not equal to touch,some touch only game can't play with shieldtv&mouse , but fine in Bluestacks with mouse,because bluestacks Simulation a virtual touch input device with the mouse,So it can play all the touch games.

bluestacks start log

2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/serio0/input/input0
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: BlueStacks Virtual Mouse as /devices/virtual/input/input1
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: BlueStacks Virtual Touch as /devices/virtual/input/input2
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>bstaudio: Created device 0
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <3>bstgps: initializing gps interface.
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: Detecting Android-x86...

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Forgive me for my poor English,Mouse click is not equal to touch,some touch only game can't play with shieldtv&mouse , but fine in Bluestacks with mouse,because bluestacks Simulation a virtual touch input device with the mouse,So it can play all the touch games.

bluestacks start log

2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/serio0/input/input0
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: BlueStacks Virtual Mouse as /devices/virtual/input/input1
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>input: BlueStacks Virtual Touch as /devices/virtual/input/input2
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <6>bstaudio: Created device 0
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: <3>bstgps: initializing gps interface.
2015-05-05 16:57:12.668000 HD-Service( 7744: 2436): Guest: Detecting Android-x86...
You can also with DroidMote and a regular Android firmware or Android TV firmware.

When a game not support mouse action you can use the touchmouse

and you can create also touch profiles for touch-only games.

With DroidMote you don't have intetactions limits, because also simple multi-touch

gestures like two fingers scroll, rotate, swipe are possible on the touchpad.

You can use it also to theter your preferred hardware controller and play with all normal games and multi-touch games.

Mouse, keyboard, voice dictation, multimedia buttons, dpad and soft controller are just the base.

You can control Android, Windows and Linux so when you use Splashtop on your Shield you can control well also Windows 10 multi-touch / normal games and apps.

If you need help i'm at your disposal.

http://www.videomap.it/dmcguide.htm

P.S.
If you need the touchmouse on Shield Console you can download in your phone and select it from the client the generic touchprofile with the name

Server screen 1920x1080 orientation 0

from http://www.videomap.it/download.htm

Last edited:

leasing

Mar 31, 2008
oh, i don't want use another phone or tablet to play game ,I prefer to play games with the mouse&keyboard, like a PC,Especially some FPS game.

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
oh, i don't want use another phone or tablet to play game ,I prefer to play games with the mouse&keyboard, like a PC,Especially some FPS game.
Many people on their couch prefer emulate all hardware just with a phone, because DroidMote emulate real hardware.

Mouse, keyboard and multi-touch gestures are not only useful in games but also on many apps.

Big mouse and keyboard are useful on a desk.

But i respect your preferences

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Just an example to better explain what mean TouchMouse and Touch Profile.
In the video description you can find the configuration and the touch profile used.
This is the first time that i play with this game. SBK15 Official Mobile Game

kajer

May 6, 2006
First, thank you for the hard work to get full 5.1 running on the Shield TV. Not having the controller work is a deal breaker on this one.

Is there a way to modify the stock image to NOT use leanback launcher by default?

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
First, thank you for the hard work to get full 5.1 running on the Shield TV. Not having the controller work is a deal breaker on this one.

Is there a way to modify the stock image to NOT use leanback launcher by default?
Is not just a question of Leanback Launcher, many others things are different in AndroidTV.
Mainly systemUI, Settings, framework-res.apk, permissions, display density and other things. ( things just to close you in a walled garden nothing special )

The controller is not a problem. Because i can use it wired, i can use it also wireless tethered with my phone or tablet, and i can use also all my others wireless controllers and for many games i use also the soft controller of Droidmote that is compatible with all games.

On the stock firmware, also if you have the controller in proprietary native wireless mode ( that create problems to the wifi connection ), you can not do much.
You're always locked in a walled garden.

Except watch movies and listen songs in Android TV, I can do very little and with great difficulty.

Android in Tv is not just Kodi and Popcorn Time there are others millions of beautiful apps in Google Play.

And with full Android we can have all, incluse Kodi and Popcorn Time :)

All big games for Nvidia are already working.

P:S:
In the video above i'm playing with the Nvidia controller in wireless mode from my couch. I tethered it. Also if i have a better wireless controller. Infact usually i prefer my Logitech F710

Last edited:

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Personally i like my bluetooth controller better, sans voice search. But because i use stereo bluetooth, mostly at night, not to bother ?, I have it all. Nvidia has graciously incorporated full bluetooth support (including microphone, headset profile) in stock firmware as well, as opposed to nexus player where google stripped it all and @Zulu had to at least add a2dp (headphones profile) function from scratch for Np.

Note 4 ?

Reactions: zulu99

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
New version 1.5 in first post.

Changelog
Fix Auto-Mount of external usb storage. Tested ntfs, fat32,exfat.

p.s.
with foldermount app, free in google play, you can have infinite space for your apps and games.

Reactions: boboskins

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Last edited:

machx1111

Oct 8, 2013
Thank you again for your great work Zulu! I have played around with stock Android TV and definitely see the need for a root and replacement rom experience. It is nice for a simple user who doesn't know the capabilities of Android but for a real power user it is severely lacking!

So I am ready to root. But I have one question before I actually do it - how does the NVIDIA Controller work with it? I understand you have your NVIDIA Controller tethered to your phone and then your phone to NVIDIA shield via Droidmote? Is there any simpler way like connecting it as a bluetooth device? Or would it not work the same?

If I root but not replace the rom will it still work? Frustrating that NVIDIA placed this limitation. Do you use your phone as the main input then for your shield instead of the Remote?

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Thank you again for your great work Zulu! I have played around with stock Android TV and definitely see the need for a root and replacement rom experience. It is nice for a simple user who doesn't know the capabilities of Android but for a real power user it is severely lacking!

So I am ready to root. But I have one question before I actually do it - how does the NVIDIA Controller work with it? I understand you have your NVIDIA Controller tethered to your phone and then your phone to NVIDIA shield via Droidmote? Is there any simpler way like connecting it as a bluetooth device? Or would it not work the same?

If I root but not replace the rom will it still work? Frustrating that NVIDIA placed this limitation. Do you use your phone as the main input then for your shield instead of the Remote?

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
You can use the Shield controller wired and in this way work very well. Or you can use any other bluetooth / wireless controllers.
I use the Shield Controller also in wireless mode because tethered with my phone + DroidMote.

Nvidia made private the wireless controller part's and many of this parts are inside the framework.
But this is just a stupid controller, we can do all in millions others ways.
I don't understand how Google can certify a device so full of bloatware inside.

On stock firmware you can have the nvidia controller in native wireless mode, but with it and Android TV you can not do much.
Maybe it's only a clear intention to force users to stay in the walled garden. But Android is much more..... With full Android firmware you can see by yourself

Not worry about root and all others things, you can always return back in the original state.
But when you try this firmware is difficult that you turn back if you are a demanding user.

Yes, i control my Shield Console and all the functionalities, also multi-touch apps, just with DroidMote. I do the same with all my Android TV boxes incluse Nexus Player and many others chinese no brand. In all firmwares, Android TV or Full Android. I can control also Windows and Linux with DroidMote from my couch.

A controller that can be used only in the firmware of the manufacturer, or is not good or is a mafious thing. And i'm against the mafia in the Android world.

But i thank Nvidia, for the excellent hardware of the Shield Console.

I bought the hardware, so i must be able to install all that i want in my hardware, like in my PC. If instead the hardware is just a mean to sell services, this hardware can be also a gift. A manufacturer should at least be obliged to release drivers for his hardware. But unfortunately this is the plague of Android.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idan73

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
@zulu99 - thanks for a great rom! any chance you know of a way to make the Shield Remote Control work? If not - do you have any experience with IR (non-harmony) or Bluetooth remotes?
To do ? With Android a simple remote is just useful with some video player app. Instead with DroidMote you can do all.

Seems that users don't want understand that the main reason of limitations in Android TV is the fact that you can use only directionals keys. :)

With a remote like DroidMote instead you can do all and you don't have interactions limits, also with multi-touch stuff.

Not because DroidMote is my tool, but just to explain the main difference and limitation of Android TV.

You can use also a wireless mouse and keyboard if you want, but the best way for me is with my phone. + an hardware controller just for complex games when you need a solid grip and precision. tethered or direct there is no difference. I tested many Android games and Grid games.

You can use also any bluetooth remote control, airmouse or what you want. Also the nexus player remote can work if you copy the keylayout. This firmware is Android, all standard and classic input devices can work.

My last Gameplay: https://youtu.be/t69d_9kUbXs

Note:
Only directional keys was the the main failure of all the Smart TV of the past. Android on TV does not mean turning Android into something 10 years ago.
Android in TV is not only movies and songs, is much more. And you can.

I'm very very happy with this firmware, the shield console is a beast. :) I was waiting for an hardware like this for my TV from some years.

I think that Nvidia will sell more Shield Android TV thanks to this firmware. If Nvidia will build also an official "Full Android" version, I'll be even happier, because I will work less. Friends, is not simple, It is really a very tough job.

Last edited:
Reactions: KING SKILLZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone