[ROM][Full Android 5.1 for Shield TV][v.2.2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
I agree that wifi remotes are an awesome options, but for kids (my 3 year old uses Kodi on Shield TV) it's not convenient. They need a simple remote...
Anyone else up with suggestions? :)

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
I agree that wifi remotes are an awesome options, but for kids (my 3 year old uses Kodi on Shield TV) it's not convenient. They need a simple remote...
Anyone else up with suggestions? :)
You can, also with the remote control of your TV via HDMI CEC functionality. Yes the remote control of your TV can navigate Kodi via hdmi CEC. So is good also for your grandfather, because your soon can prefers other way to interact with your TV. I have a 3 year old son and i know what he like. He prefer the DroidMote mouse, especially to see cartoons on youtube, (the classic youtube app) i'm not joking.

you can connect also all the others standard remotes that you want. bluetooth, wireless dongle, IR, power of thought, black magic....

There is only one limitation with Android: "How many things you know"

For sure an advanced user can do more things than an Apple user :) ooppss a non expert user.

But You're never too old to learn. -> ( for the dear grandparents )

Last edited:
Reactions: zahir32

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Don't forget that you can create also backup of your entire firmware with TWRP. So you can have both firmwares in very easy way.

Stock rom -> backup with twrp on external usb storage or internal sd card
Full Android -> backup with twrp on external usb storage or internal sd card

Switch between the firmwares just with TWRP

zahir32

Jan 17, 2011
Strauzo !

What a delight to find you again, to see your trademark brilliance in the Shield's first custom rom and to find your irrepressible humor in full sway. I remember those nights on Freaktab when we raced to test your custom kernels for the MK908 in order to fix its stutter...We've come a long way from that wretched stick to this magnificent new hardware...

Thank you for all that you're doing here - and for your divine sense of comedy...

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Strauzo !

What a delight to find you again, to see your trademark brilliance in the Shield's first custom rom and to find your irrepressible humor in full sway. I remember those nights on Freaktab when we raced to test your custom kernels for the MK908 in order to fix its stutter...We've come a long way from that wretched stick to this magnificent new hardware...

Thank you for all that you're doing here - and for your divine sense of comedy...
Strauzo is dead, but the work is still continued :) There was never a free minute, even to go to the bathroom.

Take a look also to the Nexus Player LolliRock firmware. The Nexus Player as second device can be very good, and with LolliRock is a bomb.
(LolliRock was also the first custom rom on Nexus Player like all others device that you know, because i like too much Android in TV )

I consider all the old friends, dear friends, even those that I argued more harshly.

Yes, new life with better hardware, we were waiting for a while.
I still have the first MK802 of four years ago. I can open a museum now :) More than 80 android tv box.

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
New version 1.7 in first post.

Changelog:

Support for usb DAC 24 bit 96khz
Fix build.prop

Thanks to @boboskins for tests on his DAC and that warned me of the problem.

p.s.
Hey friends, i tested the full backup (system data cache) from TWRP of stock firmware and of this firmware, all works very well when you restore the firmware and is very easy switch between firmwares with a backup because you do not have the hassle of reinstalling all the basic apps + google account setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Idan73

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Off-Topic Information:

In the last version of Youtube, Google removed the support of the scroll functionality with an hardware mouse or similars.

Very bad behaviour, remove accessibility from a popular app like Youtube.

This not take in account many people with physical problems, that can use an app only with specials input devices.

Dear Google the accessibility of an app, is something serious. You can not play this way. Good developers should know this.

For DroidMote users:
This is not a big problem for DroidMote, you can still use two fingers very close to scroll in all multitouch apps incluse the new Youtube version.

But don't forget that you can also use this beautiful Youtube MOD, that permit you to listen music in background, download videos, have full quality 1080p / 1440p and more... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2213945

Make your voice heard in Google Play about this bad thing.

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Modern Combat 4 and Six Guns on Shield Android TV with Hardware Controller
Many Gameloft games of last years support just Moga controllers.
But when you have DroidMote Server started, also if you don't use the Client, you can use your preferred hardware controller with these games.
Tested on Shield Android TV with the Nvidia hardware controller.

Valid for Android and Android TV.

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Just to report that FlashFire by @Chainfire works fine for this firmware image update. (for those that don't want to mess with adb for updates)
@zulu99 can you please make live wallpapers work. Some of them work fine on nexus player, while here on nvidia it says 'App isn't installed'

Note 4 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: zulu99

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Just to report that FlashFire by @Chainfire works fine for this firmware image update. (for those that don't want to mess with adb for updates)
@zulu99 can you please make live wallpapers work. Some of them work fine on nexus player, while here on nvidia it says 'App isn't installed'

Note 4
It works wonderfully. And is the easy way to switch between Android TV and Full Android firmwares.

p.s.
For Live wallpapers. get LiveWallpapersPicker and LiveWallpapers folders from any arm firmware, copy in the system/app assign permissions reboot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
@zulu99 is there known issue with hangouts in general, or usb camera (logitech usb with mic).

My audio gets picked up just fine, but camera is a no go. 30 seconds into a call, hangouts freezes as well. Only way to get it back is reboot.

Also on bluetooth some of my bluetooth stereo headsets show only as a headsets, and not also headphones, therefore connecting only as media. Consequently, I can not use microphone function on these.

Those that can, connect as a phone as well and can use google search and hangouts audio, but audio is such a low quality, that it might as well not exist.

For example of I click on Google now search, mic gets recognised (those headsets that connect as phone profile), but there's some awfully screech instead of sound to start talking, and it usually ends with 'google can not recognize anything...)

To be honest, this is the first time I tested these, so that's why I ask and report so late since release.

Other than occasional freeze on reboot, followed by system auto clearing dalwik, and having to wait. (probably xposed fault), everything else I came across is superb.

I Freakin wish my phones were as fast and smooth as this device.

Note 4 ?

Last edited:

Bboy486

May 9, 2011
If you need the very useful xposed framework, you can download the file xposed-sdk22-arm64-20150514.zip from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/xposed-android-5-1-successfully-t3074586 and install from recovery.

After the zip installation from recovery, you can download the apk XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha2.apk from this link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811 and install like a normal apk.

All works very well.
Is there a post to explain the uses of Xposted? You recommended it via post 2/5 but before I root my Nvidia tablet to test I want to see what it will do.

As a reminder, I am trying to get the androidtv experience on my shield tab without the walled garden. Mainly to replace my appletv which is not cutting it.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
@zulu99 is there known issue with hangouts in general, or usb camera (logitech usb with mic).

My audio gets picked up just fine, but camera is a no go. 30 seconds into a call, hangouts freezes as well. Only way to get it back is reboot.

Also on bluetooth some of my bluetooth stereo headsets show only as a headsets, and not also headphones, therefore connecting only as media. Consequently, I can not use microphone function on these.

Those that can, connect as a phone as well and can use google search and hangouts audio, but audio is such a low quality, that it might as well not exist.

For example of I click on Google now search, mic gets recognised (those headsets that connect as phone profile), but there's some awfully screech instead of sound to start talking, and it usually ends with 'google can not recognize anything...)

To be honest, this is the first time I tested these, so that's why I ask and report so late since release.

Other than occasional freeze on reboot, followed by system auto clearing dalwik, and having to wait. (probably xposed fault), everything else I came across is superb.

I Freakin wish my phones were as fast and smooth as this device.

Note 4
Usually i use webcam + mic without problems Logitech C525 in Google Now search, Hangouts and in all apps to record audio.

To have the video working i have to connect the webcam before boot, or i reboot when i connect the first time.

Bluetooth a2dp audio works well, i use this model http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00PVL3EQA , but as a mic no. I will test bluetooth mic better.

Bluetooth mic works on stock firmware ?

I'll do a more thorough test on the issue. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
Is there a post to explain the uses of Xposted? You recommended it via post 2/5 but before I root my Nvidia tablet to test I want to see what it will do.

As a reminder, I am trying to get the androidtv experience on my shield tab without the walled garden. Mainly to replace my appletv which is not cutting it.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
There are many threads on xda, how to use xposed framework.

Please for Shield Tablet use another thread. Here we discuss only about Shield Console.

Last edited:
Reactions: weaver11b

zulu99

Jan 6, 2009
@zulu99, Does the webcam in this rom only support 480p like on the Nexus Player?
The webcam HAL in Nexus Player was compiled from a public source. so is experimental but work with hangouts and skype. in skype you can have more than 480p.

In the shield console, instead, is closed source binary from stock rom. So should work better, because was made directly from nvidia.

But today night i will check better webcam and bluetooth mic and if a fix is necessary i will work on it.

Last edited:

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
Usually i use webcam + mic without problems Logitech C525 in Google Now search, Hangouts and in all apps to record audio.

To have the video working i have to connect the webcam before boot, or i reboot when i connect the first time.

Bluetooth a2dp audio works well, i use this model http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00PVL3EQA , but as a mic no. I will test bluetooth mic better.

Bluetooth mic works on stock firmware ?

I'll do a more thorough test on the issue. Thanks for your suggestions.
Lol. Probably that's why. I pulled my old quickcam orbit from the dustbin. It was a resource hog on my old pc, back in a day, as well.

I can get another quickcam pro 9000 from my inlaws duster to test. But I have a feeling these older generation webcams are a no go. Saw nvidia promo page on g+ that uses for example logitech cams, to say how usb webcams support is there built in for this device, but in example mentions only logitech c 200 something (which is their lowest cam from current lineup), to c920 (highest).

Yes for me a2dp and avrcp are superb on any device I have used. It's just that Sony for example took off headphone profile from their bt stereo devices a while ago, so they alway relied on a phone to initiate phone connection, in adition to media player. Because we don't have phone app I guess here, that particular headset, or any from some I have, connect only as media device and contact sharing. Last Sony Ericsson device that had full bluetooth was w800 which I lost last year.

Funnily Sony Bluetooth speakers have full bluetooth with phone profile and connect fine with phone profile, and mic working (but garbled as I said before). Same goes for samsung stereo headphones that I have as well as couple single in ear bluetooth headsets that I have tested. It's as though it defaults to lowest compression quality (just a speculation).

None of this is urgent for me in particular (with so many devices around home, there's no shortage of hangouts) , but I appreciate that you said you will look into it.

Note 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.