[ROM/FW][STOCK][PIE] LG V30 (Joan) VS996 Verizon 30c TWRP flashable firmware ROM

Search This thread

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
LG V30 VS996-30c ROM​
Hi!
This Rom is 99% Stock. 3.2.3-7 TWRP should first be installed. Then you can install this Rom and have Pie with working TWRP.

WARNINGS!!!!!
Only for North American variants -- EXCEPT T-mobile H932. NOT for H930, H930G, H930D, H930DS!

This zip is created from the original KDZ. It contains almost the complete 30c firmware, but the partition table rewriting part and recovery image is removed. I changed the system.img, so you do not have to reinstall TWRP (recovery-from-boot.p deleted) when ROM is booted. I also changed the partition size of system.img, so the vendorized people can install this too without having problems because of a too small system partition. This is a continuation of westwood24's idea and work, I've updated it to the newest fw version and edited / advanced it a bit. I followed his idea and made this for users who can not take OTA's because they have Custom Recovery / Root installed.

Features
  • Stock build made from official KDZ
  • Stock Build.prop (only 2 extra lines added for DTS, full weather lockscreen)
  • Unrooted
  • System image modified to keep TWRP
  • System image size shrunk for being able to flash this on a smaller system partition, mainly caused by vendorizing
  • Removed dm-verity
  • Removed rctd (LG's root checker tool daemon)
  • Enabled opt-encrypt, it's your choice now if you want to encrypt your phone, it's no more forced. TWRP now is capable of decryption (both AOSP and stock) since a few versions

Installation
What you need
LATEST ZIP

OLDER ZIPS

How to install
When you are still on Nougat,
you should start fresh: Reboot to recovery using button combo or reboot app (needs root; btw, Magisk offers this possibility too: Menu -> Modules -> three dot menu top right - Reboot to recovery)
Then flash this TWRP.img via image flashing function in TWRP, reboot to recovery again (for fully working new recovery) and do a backup, then copy this backup to your PC.
Then initiate a factory reset. Wipe your system partition too in TWRP advanced wiping menu, copy the 30b firmware zip to your SD and install it. Reboot and enjoy :)

From Oreo:
For clean install: Factory reset and wipe system
You can also keep your data by simply dirty flashing the zip. *Be aware that problems may occur, maybe you need to do a factory reset to start fresh*
Flash the 30c zip, then Magisk zip when you need root, then reboot to System = you're DONE
P.S.: could be, that you first need to boot up your fresh install and set it up before you can flash magisk.

At the first time you boot to system, it can be TWRP says No OS installed. You can ignore it.
If TWRP asks if you want to install SU, hit no (in newest TWRP SU is disabled, and the option to install the TWRP app is disabled too.)

Rom Version
Android Version: 9.0 Pie
Android security patch level: 2019-09-1

Don´t forget to hit the thanks-button if you like this zip! :good:
You want to help me with a [donation?] Not asking for it, I have fun doing this for you, but feel free... :)

Last edited:

Stuckurface

Jan 12, 2015
West Columbia
General question for those who might know: is there any advantage (like Volte) for using stock vs996 on a Verizon network? I've got an open market us998 with a vs996 kernel.

JohnFawkes

Jul 9, 2015
john-fawkes.com
General question for those who might know: is there any advantage (like Volte) for using stock vs996 on a Verizon network? I've got an open market us998 with a vs996 kernel.

yea if your using verizon then its better to use the vs996 rom as you'll get verzion features such as vowifi volte and the verizon apps if you use any. im on ls998 on sprints network and when i flash the us998 rom i get no volte vowifi and i cant even get lte. it only stays at 3g

G

GuestK00249

My service provider is straight talk and I'm on Verizon towers. I've noticed that I get faster data speeds if I use a Verizon ROM. I'm currently on the us998 ROM 9.0 pie. My data speeds are a little faster since I've updated from 8.0 but it's still not quite as fast as the Verizon ROM. So once you make this Verizon zip available I'll probably install it. Thanks @JohnFawkes

schwinn8

Aug 12, 2010
Somewhere in Connecticut
I'm on Total Wireless (VZ towers also)... I also recommend VS996 so that VOLTE and VOWIFI work properly. Not, previously, you could not disable/uninstall MyVerizon, otherwise these features would not work, so be aware of that. I don't know if we still need to do that with this version (someone could test).

Reactions: nnjimmy59

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Sorry, reading is hard.

You must see some of the recent posts asking about WTF instructions. ;)

After telling the one guy to please read the WTF instructions, he kept asking me questions clearly detailed in steps in the instructions.

"Does 3.2.3.7 TWRP work with this early Oreo KDZ?"

If the answer was no, I wouldn't list them together in necessary files to download, would I?

"Please give me link to download that KDZ"

It's IN the WTF instructions!

"Please give me link to the instructions."

OK, you're just trolling me now. He asked most of these questions IN the WTF thread.

____

NOW he says he's unlocked the bootloader and rooted, and wants to upgrade to Pie. I gave him link to Pie KDZ thread for his variant (which also has TWRP-flashable zip) and I've just ignored all follow-up questions, because again he's asking stuff I've written about in detail...

I'm not going to re-write everything because someone wants a "personalized" answer to some already-documented process hundreds of people have successfully completed just, following the written instructions...

Last edited:

nnjimmy59

Dec 6, 2016
Naugatuck, Ct.
I know, i see all the time. I don't know how you can be so patient with some of them.
By the way, thanks again for all your help. Both here and back in the Droid Turbo days.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

@JohnFawkes
Thank you so much for all your hard work. It's so much easier to have a TWRP zip to flash.
Really appreciate it.

Reactions: ChazzMatt
G

GuestK00249

booting up process is very slow. 5 minutes now and still on verizon logo/4 dots loading. Maybe i did something wrong.......i'll give it a little more time before i restore my backup. I flashed from us998 pie, it did the same thing. So i flashed vs996 oreo then fully booted up, then clean flashed this ROM, rebooted, and it seems to be stuck. Any ideas on where i went wrong?

HueyT

Apr 3, 2014
New Albany, IN
OnePlus 7T
booting up process is very slow. 5 minutes now and still on verizon logo/4 dots loading. Maybe i did something wrong.......i'll give it a little more time before i restore my backup. I flashed from us998 pie, it did the same thing. So i flashed vs996 oreo then fully booted up, then clean flashed this ROM, rebooted, and it seems to be stuck. Any ideas on where i went wrong?
I have the same problem. Probably have to KDZ to VS996-30c REFURBISHED (or PARTITION-DL and select all PARTITIONS) to reset the partitions for VS996-30C (from US998-30B)

Last edited:
G

GuestK00249

I have the same problem. Probably have to KDZ to VS996-30c REFURBISHED (or PARTITION-DL and select all PARTITIONS) to reset the partitions for VS996-30C (from US998-30B)

do you happen to have a link to the kdz file? i cant find it anywhere

drewcu

Jan 31, 2012
Has anyone successfully dirty flashed the 30C ZIP over their 20K Oreo? Would rather not try until others verify there aren't problems with this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LG V30 VS996-30c ROM​
    Hi!
    This Rom is 99% Stock. 3.2.3-7 TWRP should first be installed. Then you can install this Rom and have Pie with working TWRP.

WARNINGS!!!!!
    Only for North American variants -- EXCEPT T-mobile H932. NOT for H930, H930G, H930D, H930DS!

This zip is created from the original KDZ. It contains almost the complete 30c firmware, but the partition table rewriting part and recovery image is removed. I changed the system.img, so you do not have to reinstall TWRP (recovery-from-boot.p deleted) when ROM is booted. I also changed the partition size of system.img, so the vendorized people can install this too without having problems because of a too small system partition. This is a continuation of westwood24's idea and work, I've updated it to the newest fw version and edited / advanced it a bit. I followed his idea and made this for users who can not take OTA's because they have Custom Recovery / Root installed.

Features
    • Stock build made from official KDZ
    • Stock Build.prop (only 2 extra lines added for DTS, full weather lockscreen)
    • Unrooted
    • System image modified to keep TWRP
    • System image size shrunk for being able to flash this on a smaller system partition, mainly caused by vendorizing
    • Removed dm-verity
    • Removed rctd (LG's root checker tool daemon)
    • Enabled opt-encrypt, it's your choice now if you want to encrypt your phone, it's no more forced. TWRP now is capable of decryption (both AOSP and stock) since a few versions

Installation
    What you need
    LATEST ZIP

OLDER ZIPS

How to install
    When you are still on Nougat,
    you should start fresh: Reboot to recovery using button combo or reboot app (needs root; btw, Magisk offers this possibility too: Menu -> Modules -> three dot menu top right - Reboot to recovery)
    Then flash this TWRP.img via image flashing function in TWRP, reboot to recovery again (for fully working new recovery) and do a backup, then copy this backup to your PC.
    Then initiate a factory reset. Wipe your system partition too in TWRP advanced wiping menu, copy the 30b firmware zip to your SD and install it. Reboot and enjoy :)

From Oreo:
    For clean install: Factory reset and wipe system
    You can also keep your data by simply dirty flashing the zip. *Be aware that problems may occur, maybe you need to do a factory reset to start fresh*
    Flash the 30c zip, then Magisk zip when you need root, then reboot to System = you're DONE
    P.S.: could be, that you first need to boot up your fresh install and set it up before you can flash magisk.

At the first time you boot to system, it can be TWRP says No OS installed. You can ignore it.
    If TWRP asks if you want to install SU, hit no (in newest TWRP SU is disabled, and the option to install the TWRP app is disabled too.)

Rom Version
    Android Version: 9.0 Pie
    Android security patch level: 2019-09-1

Don´t forget to hit the thanks-button if you like this zip! :good:
    You want to help me with a [donation?] Not asking for it, I have fun doing this for you, but feel free... :)
    RESERVED

Zip is live

yea if your using verizon then its better to use the vs996 rom as you'll get verzion features such as vowifi volte and the verizon apps if you use any. im on ls998 on sprints network and when i flash the us998 rom i get no volte vowifi and i cant even get lte. it only stays at 3g
    Zip is live guys
    Thread cleaned. Avoid using profanities.

-XDA Staff