[ROM][G800F/M/Y][7.1.2][UNOFFICIAL] Slim ROM 7 Nougat

Search This thread

spookcity138

Nov 9, 2015
Eindhoven
Quick question:

I purchased my G800F (United Kingdom) some years ago, which at the time was tied to the 02 network/carrier (with all the usual bloatware) and obviously O2's firmware.

Once out of contract I rooted the phone, installed Slim Rom 7 and moved away from an O2 SIM to an EE SIM (actually Virgin Mobile which uses the EE's infrastructure). Right now I'm suffering from battery drain (NlpWakeLocks), so I'm planning to clean install everything in an attempt to systematically find the cause of the wakelock(s).

What's just occurred to me is that I never really paid any real attention to whether I should have first thought about changing to the phone's firmware. Currently I have 02 branded (CSC: G800FO2U1CPL1). Options would be to change to: UK unbranded variant (CSC: G800FBTU1CQA1); or EE's branded (CSC: G800FEVR1CQB1).

Can I ask, what is considered best practice here - would first changing to a more appropriate firmware (to get a known to be good firmware / baseband combination?) be of value and/or help setting up a "good" foundation for Slim Rom 7 c/w, in my case, a change of Carrier (EE).

Many thanks!!
Hmm, I can't really answer this as I honestly don't know enough about basebands etc. I suggest posting this in the baseband thread and hopefully someone, perhaps tester02 will be able to offer some advice.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3354355

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Reactions: fidoedidoe

Oleggluk

Jul 29, 2015
Quick question:

Right now I'm suffering from battery drain (NlpWakeLocks), so I'm planning to clean install everything in an attempt to systematically find the cause of the wakelock(s).

Many thanks!!

Found on the Internet: "Disable location on wi-fi and mobile networks in Settings - Location - and you will be happy, the battery consumption will decrease and the processes of NlpWakeLock and NlpCollectorWakeLock"

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011
Reactions: spookcity138

Someone10

Feb 20, 2015
Weird bugs

So, I'm not sure what's causing this, but a few days ago I lost root all of a sudden, and my phones buttons don't light up and after a while will stop working until I reboot, and the notification light doesn't work either. Any ideas?

spookcity138

Nov 9, 2015
Eindhoven
So, I'm not sure what's causing this, but a few days ago I lost root all of a sudden, and my phones buttons don't light up and after a while will stop working until I reboot, and the notification light doesn't work either. Any ideas?
I remember reading another post about a very similar issue. I'm unsure what thread it was in though. Although I don't really think its ROM specific. I honestly have no idea what would cause this. I've never experienced this. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?

wojtasrid

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, really strange. I don't know man sorry. I hope you get it sorted though. I have not had this problem. I'm running this ROM now.

For others, here is the link to slims site. It's in the main post as well, but after replying to you I realize that I really should have mentioned the necessity to do a clean flash with the new build.
https://slimroms.org

HI,
thank you for the awesome rom! :)
I had this issue with startup wizard crashing all the time and what helped me was to tilt the phone horizontally right after I clicked "close". In horizontal position I was able to finish the setup and my phone is working 100% correctly now.

Someone10

Feb 20, 2015
I remember reading another post about a very similar issue. I'm unsure what thread it was in though. Although I don't really think its ROM specific. I honestly have no idea what would cause this. I've never experienced this. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?
I think I'm just going to do a clean install, and hope it goes away.

Someone10

Feb 20, 2015
Alright, no problems so far after doing a clean install, I'd say it's resolved now.
Edit: I think I identified the problem: the SuperSU package. After installing that, the problems began again. Gonna do another clean install...

Last edited:

Someone10

Feb 20, 2015
Alright, no problems so far after doing a clean install, I'd say it's resolved now.
Edit: I think I identified the problem: the SuperSU package. After installing that, the problems began again. Gonna do another clean install...
So, any safe ways to root on this ROM? I'm currently unrooted, obviously.

Knoose

Oct 19, 2016
Deventer
Magisk gave me problems as well, although I am on aosp ext. Some apps started to act funky and I had to reflash the ROM. I am sticking to the magisk version that comes with the ROM and no problems so far

meesner

May 26, 2014

I can confirm this, also the battery usage is much better without su

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011
On the subject of battery usage (drain), I had excessive usage reported under Settings / Battery as "Android OS" and "Google Services" (suspected NlpWakeLocks, etc). Combined these two were often reported as 20+% of the usage, the result being the phone would be out of battery before returning home from work (admittedly work is in a low signal area - but there was never this amount of drain on Stock MM). BTW this high usage/ drain was present across a number of versions of this ROM (currently I'm using Slim ROM 7 Stable 1.0 dated 20170701).

Personally I had good success mitigating much of the symptom (it's my GFs phone) by using a module for Magisk (at the time of writing I use Magisk 13.3) called: [MODULE v4][Battery Saver] ENABLE DOZE on Google Play Services [6.0+] all credit goes to otonieru. There are a number of install options / variants you can choose from (eg: TWRP vs. Magisk install), I opted for the more conservative of the two Magisk install options (at the time of writing the download module is named: "EnableDozeforGMS-Rev4-by otonieru.zip") which was installed by downloading and installing via "Magisk / Modules / +". I must admit I was a little dubious but the results I've seen speak for themselves.

For reference the battery usage (longevity as reported by GF) is now on a par with where MM was (if not better). If you have similar symptoms to mine on this ROM then give it a try (worst case you can easily uninstall the Magisk module).

Last edited:

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011
Why is this ROM stated as stable and none of the other ones? Does roaming working?

On the 30th July 17, the official Slim ROM 7 (https://slimroms.org) source was transition to a "1.0 Stable" release (previously the versions were 0.xx). This ROM, unofficial build of SlimRom7 for the S5 Mini, is built from the "1.0 Stable" source from SlimRom..which is why the word "Stable" is used. My experience of this ROM is good, everything works..its smooth and good for daily use.

Personally I haven't used roaming (yet) but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Best approach would he to try it out.

Last edited:

fidoedidoe

Mar 27, 2011
As a complete novice to building a ROM from source, can I ask has anyone built this SlimROM7 from source - has anyone created a specific guide? (@spookcity138 I'm assuming there's no objection to this for personal use?)

I've followed a more generic guide in on spookcity138's github link) which builds LineageOS 14.1. (i managed this successfully). To build this version of SlimROM7 would it simply be a case of changing:
Code:
repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b cm-14.1
to:
Code:
repo init -u https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest.git -b ng7.1
or is it a lot more involved (here be dragons)?

Last edited:

spookcity138

Nov 9, 2015
Eindhoven
As a complete novice to building a ROM from source, can I ask has anyone built this SlimROM7 from source - has anyone created a specific guide? (@spookcity138 I'm assuming there's no objection to this for personal use?)

I've followed a more generic guide in on spookcity138's github link) which builds LineageOS 14.1. (i managed this successfully). To build this version of SlimROM7 would it simply be a case of changing:
Code:
repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b cm-14.1
to:
Code:
repo init -u https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest.git -b ng7.1
or is it a lot more involved (here be dragons)?
Go here:
https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest
That'll explain how to clone their repo. Then you need to grab the device specific repos.
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_.repo_local_manifests
As far as building you will need to change some file names and other things to fit slim ( instead of lineage)
Message me if you have problems and I'll help out when I have time.

Edit:
You are correct on the repo to build slim 7

Last edited:
Reactions: fidoedidoe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    ***WARNING***
    -READ CAREFULLY!!

YOU FLASH THIS ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK.I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR DUE TO THE FLASHING OF THIS ROM.
    I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST DATA,BRICKED PHONE,OR ANYTHING OF THE SUCH.(PHONE EXPLODES,OVERHEATS ETC)
    THIS ROM IS ONLY FOR THE S5 MINI SM-G8OOF/M/Y (Exynos) DO NOT FLASH THIS ON ANY OTHER DEVICE!

http%3A%2F%2Fop.slimroms.net%2Fslimop%2Fslim7opnew.png

Useful Github links to share and read

- Info
    - Slim 7 specific
    UPDATED to Stable 1.16 on 05-11-2017
    Changes in Stable 1.16 Build
    - Synced Slim sources
    - Latest security patches (Oct 5)
    - KRACK wi-fi vulnerability patches
    - Full changelog can be found Here

This is SlimROM 7 for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (G800F/G800M/G800Y)

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. Our main goal is to offer users a slimmed down yet feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by our public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Known Issues
    - Camera problems per usual. (I may remove the stock cam next build)
    - Let me know and I'll try to fix.

Notes
    - TWRP and backups - While TWRP 3.0 will work fine on backups between 7.x ROMS if you are running 7.x and try to restore to a 6.x ROM it will fail to restore the data partition.If you have the need to do this you MUST use TWRP 2.8! (Thanks to Sunn76 for that info)
    - No integrated root - use Magisk

I highly recommend a full backup before flashing this ROM.Again,I am not responsible if you lose any or all of your data!

Installation
    - Install TWRP version of your choice
    - Download the Slim 7 zip file
    - Copy to your phone
    - Reboot into recovery mode (Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
    - Wipe Dalvik/art Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe)
    - Install Slim 7
    - Install GApps of your choice
    - Reboot

Downloads

ENJOY!

Sources
    Thanks
    hennymcc,Psyafter and CTXz - I can not thank them enough for all of their hard work and dedication to our device. They are the reason that I am able to bring this ROM to everyone.
    - ayke for the latest TWRP
    - chainfire for CF-Auto-Root
    - Sunn76 and Zocker1304 for testing this ROM and providing me with feedback
    - SlimROM team
    - OpenGapps

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][G800F/M/Y][7.1.2][UNOFFICIAL] Slim ROM 7 Nougat, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
    spookcity138
    ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: AOSP

Version Information

Created 2017-02-18
    Last Updated 2017-11-06
    Updated to v1.14. This might be the last update for this ROM. I'm unsure right now. I really would like to just focus on Android O from now on. We shall see.

Enjoy!
    Updated to stable v1.0. The APN issue is still there. Sorry I've just been lacking the time to really look into it. See main post for more details on the build.

Enjoy!
    Updated to v1.11. See main post for details.

Enjoy!
    Updated to beta 0.12 with many fixes. See main post for details.

Enjoy!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone